Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Underrated Actors

movielover11

What is your choice(s) for most underrated actors???

My selections are:

Lee J. Cobb - super actor - deserving of many awards and lead roles -

seemed to always be a supporting actor...terrific in "On The Waterfront",

"12 Angry Men" and "Three Faces of Eve" - to name a few.

Vic Morrow - sensational actor - not many people remember him or

watched his films - but if you watch him in "Blackboard Jungle" or

the "Combat" t.v. series - there's no mistaking how extraordinary an

actor he was.

Richard Widmark - although Widmark is well-known, I think he is underappreciated and underrated - which is very unfortunate.

Yes, Lee Cobb was a talented man.

I don't know if he's underrated, but I'd like to see more Jack Carson. He was a great comic actor and proved in A Star is Born he could be strait dramatic guy, too.

i think robert mitchum is another well-known underrated actor. he was great in out of the past, night of the hunter, and cape fear; not to mention tons of others.maureen o'hara, jill russell, thelma ritter, and john gavin are some others. (i wish john gavin would've gotten more roles just because he was so hot!!!) yul brynner and george c. scott are definitely some.

hello movielover11...

I will heartily agree with your assessment of Richard Widmark [like a fine wine, he ages well...].

I would like to submit Edmond O'Brien's name for consideration here...as everyone's Everyman...I also think that Van Heflin fits into the 'underappreciated' category...I will think on this further, and try to unearth more 'talent deserving wider recognition' [to borrow a phrase from Downbeat magazine].

John Gavin was in plenty of major pictures after Imitation of Life: He was Caesar in Spartacus, the romantic lead in Psycho (is that a generous description for that movie?) and Thoroughly Modern Millie. Hitchcock reportedly was unhappy with his performance in the previous pic. And remember the studio system was falling apart in the 1960's. It wasn't an easy time for the acting profession. He signed on to be James Bond in Diamonds Are Forever, but then Sean Connery decided to return to the franchise. And then there was his post as Ambassador to Mexico during Reagan's reign...

Arthur O'Connell, Joel McRae, Keenan Wynn - and a host of others, I guess. Those are the first three that came to mind for me. Wait - what about Keye Luke and Benson Fong; and Oskar Homolka, and Akim Tamiroff, and Frank Faylen?

Yes, a hearty ditto from me about Robert Walker...both he and his son, for different reasons, are reason enough to watch a film. I missed seeing "Vengeance Valley" which I think aired on TCM recently - it featured the elder Walker - did anyone happen to see it?

I did see him in a somewhat undistinguished movie, "The Sea of Grass", where, in a relatively brief appearance, it could be argued that he stole the movie from Tracy and Hepburn, of all people. It seems he either chooses roles very wisely or injects them with so much of himself that you cannot seem to forget him. Definitely a film MVP.

I have seen "Vengeance Valley" and Walker is very effective as a bad guy, although nothing like the fiend he plays in "Strangers on a Train." To carry this thread a little farther check out Walker and Jennifer Jones (and many others) in "Since You Went Away." He and Jennifer were real life husband and wife at the time, but were divorcing during the filming. You would never know it from their scenes together. Like I said before Walker always convinced even under difficult circumstances.

I seem to remember that Robert Walker committed suicide. Sad, if true.

Walker Jr. did lots of TV in the 60s. I think there is also a younger brother - maybe Michael? - who was also on TV at that time.

The story behind Robert Walker's death is a bit more complicated than that, I think.

I just read his bio on IMDb and there are a lot of factors involved in his passing - depression, alcohol, allergic reaction to a sedative that was prescribed for him - a tragedy...

Some years ago Shelley Winters,in her autobio said Robert Walker was one of the most intelligent people she knew.She said he had plans of directing and getting a place where he and his sons could fish.Then Jennifer and Selznick walked in(they were at a restaurant) and he went sour.He never got over her,married John Ford's daughter Barbara,divorced weeks later,then died after a doctor gave him medication,evidently not knowing the booze already in his system.A marvelous actor that MGM really didn't cast to his personal satisfaction. Yet another hollywood tragedy.I do know Robert,Jr was in Easy Rider and played Edgar A.Poe in the early 70's.He was going to act in a film with his mother, The Idol in 1966-67, but Jennifer objected to him playing the part of a gigolo type opposite her so Michael Parks got the part.I saw the movie on tv in the late 70's and I felt bad for her in a horrible movie.

Jeff Chandler. Admittedly many of his movies were grade-B 1950s Universal prgrammers. All you have to do is watch 20 minutes of any of them to see that he deserved better. He had a commanding voice (he had been a radio actor), great physique and really defined salt and pepper gray hair. I have met some actors who worked with him (Mala Powers, Ty Hardin) and they both spoke highly of him.

J. Carrol Naish

Charge of the light brigade...1936, Beau Geste...1939, Sahara...1943, Gung Ho...1943, House of Frankenstein...1944, Beast with five fingers...1946, Rio Grande...1950, Sitting bull...1954, The Last Command...1955,

Great Character actor