Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
AprilViolets

I Swoon For...

Most definitely Marlon Brando, followed by Richard Widmark, Vic Morrow, Paul Newman and William Holden....all are/were incredibly handsome.

I'd have to second you on Marlon Brando and Paul Newman... I absolutely LOVE William Holden as an actor, and he was VERY handsome, but he resembles my grandfather in a certain way, so it's nothing like a crush for me... *lol*

I agree that all of the gentlemen mentioned are definitely head-turners. I'd like to add George Montgomery and Jeff Chandler.

I always swoon for Gary Cooper, Joel McCrea, William Holden, George Brent, Ricardo Cortez, Randolph Scott.

I'm sure that as soon as I post this others will come to mind!

Metsfan and LCJenne, it's funny that you should've mentioned the appeal of Fredric March and Gary Cooper. Early this a.m. TCM showed The Dark Angel w/ March, the always nifty Herbert Marshall and Merle Oberon and The Wedding Night w/ Cooper and Anna Sten (Goldwyn's answer to Garbo. She's not Garbo but she was lovely). Were these inclusions prompted by your viewing?

I love Fredric March in The Dark Angel, as well as Death Takes a Holiday and the seldom seen beauties, So Ends Our Night and Act of Murder. His scenes with the young children in The Dark Angel are very tender and make the movie for me.

Cooper's devastatingly handsome in 1935's The Wedding Night and I particularly like the scenes in which he simply watches Miss Sten, especially during the family dinner. He may not have been a cerebral actor but he could convey a great deal with just a soft look.

Sorry - I just can't see Frederic March as a romantic leading man. I think he's a fine actor, but he never did anything for me in that department. I always found something old-manish and old-fashioned school teacherish about his appearance and manner.

I'll go out even further on this limb and say that I honestly never found Bogart very sexy. I think he is one of our greatest, but swoon? Not likely. He carried himself so stiffly, and reminded me of Richard Nixon in that respect. And he always had those wet lips. Not the type I find attractive.

Please don't shoot the piano player for doing her job. It's all a matter of taste - I can't help it.

moira, even though Oberon received her only Oscar nomination for the film, I thought The Dark Angel (1935) was good because of March (too?). As I mentioned in an earlier thread, he seemed to excel in roles in which his character must stare off and think about his circumstances. Of course, as a blind man in this early one, perhaps it was during this film that he developed this character trait, which he later exhibited in One Foot in Heaven, Tomorrow the World!, The Best Years of Our Lives, Executive Suite, The Bridges at Toko-Ri, The Desperate Hours, and The Man in the Gray Flannel Suit (among others). feaito may have something to add as well, he was the first who clued me in to this actor's work.

Aprilviolets, I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one who's besotted by this wonderful antique of a movie! Having seen it originally as a little kid, I didn't expect much when TCM added it to their library. I figured that the seams would show on this story, but it certainly didn't--it's a beautifully acted and well told tale. I particularly like the stiffness that March brings to the character. His Prince Sirki isn't always comfortable in his new-found skin--and it's touching to see his simple joy in seeing, touching, smelling and tasting the things that make life worth living.

Death Takes a Holiday also seems to be one of the few movies that really pulls off a kind of 'between-the-wars' romanticism. The author and actors all seem to have an underlying awareness of death throughout the movie--not just in its personification in the character Fredric March plays--but perhaps as a result of the losses of WWI. What do you think? Can you think of other films with a similar quality? The aforementioned The Dark Angel also evokes this feeling, I think.

I also find that this is one of Fredric March's most restrained performances during the thirties. In DeMille's The Sign of the Cross and Anthony Adverse, I find him to be really over the top. Perhaps it all depends on the material and the quality of the direction that he received, eh?

Nope, no shooting allowed here, jdb1.

Fredric March and Bogey and Warren William and Sterling Hayden are all on my list of drop dead sexy hunks (along with Robert Fuller), but to each his own, right?

Whom do you admire in that way?

Moira, I chose Gary Cooper because his character was so endearing in "The Wedding Night". He was also great in "A Farewell To Arms". I really enjoyed Fredric March in "Anna Karenina" and "I Married A Witch".

Yeah, I could get interested in Sterling Hayden. He had that Bad Boy quality. Let's see . . . . I think Spencer Tracy was very hunk-ish in his early films, and Robert Taylor, Henry Fonda and Tyrone Power could be classified as beautiful in their first films. Their later film appearances were just as good - good looks and character, as a man should have.

Clark Gable always had "It"; James Cagney had a raw, male attractiveness, and Brando wasn't bad, either. I always like looking at Widmark, and let's not forget Poitier and Belafonte.

I think my all-time favorite in the looks department is probably Jeffrey Hunter. Any other fans?

Hedy Lamarr!!! My GOSH! Everytime I see that face! Or, hear that name, LAMARR! My knees get weak, everything starts to go rou . . . !

Now, if I were George Brent in "Dark Victory" [yeah, right - and me with my 'radio face'], I would have passed by Bette and gone straight to Geraldine Fitzgerald. She never fails to make me 'glow'.

I have yet to swoon. I guess I have something [and someone] in life to look forward to, after all...

Definite YES to Yul Brynner... AND I have to now add Charlton Heston... When I was a little girl, I used to feel a little guilty about thinking Moses and the Pharoh were so cute - *LOL*!

Attn. moirafinnie6:

> Death Takes a Holiday also seems to be one of

> the few movies that really pulls off a kind of

> 'between-the-wars' romanticism. The author and actors

> all seem to have an underlying awareness of death

> throughout the movie--not just in its personification

> in the character Fredric March plays--but perhaps as

> a result of the losses of WWI. What do you think?

I totally agree with you there!

Can

> you think of other films with a similar quality?

That's a fairly difficult question for me, I must admit... I'd REEELY have to think about that one, and since I'm not from that generation, I don't know if I'd be able to give you a fair answer.

Pardon me for crashing your thread ladies, but I've been told I look a little like Billy Bob Thornton. Whaddya think?