Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Trivia Quiz for Beginners

FredCDobbs

Who was Elia Kazan's first choice to play Blanche DuBois in the film version of "Streetcar Named Desire?"

[Note: I can't make any claim as to the accuracy of the answer I'm thinking of, although I have seen it mentioned in more than one source. I guess that's sort of a clue.]

Free time is not the issue. I'm just frighteningly well organized at work, and I keep TCM open as long at a time as I can so I can peek in and see what's new. Also, I was always very good at typing while on the phone - a skill I developed (at the typewriter) long before the term multitasking was invented. See - I'm doing it right now!

Oh yeah - no to Jessica Tandy. Think farther outside the box.

I am going to have to agree with gerb on this. Everything I have ever read said both Brando and Kazan wanted deHaviland for the screen role. Kazan wanted her after seeing her in the "Snake Pit".

I just went back to my book I remember reading this from. Now he did consider at first for the STAGE production John Garfield and Margaret Sullivan.

It does say Olivia was his first choice.

SusannO

> I am going to have to agree with gerb on this.

> Everything I have ever read said both Brando and

> Kazan wanted deHaviland for the screen role. Kazan

> wanted her after seeing her in the "Snake Pit".

>

> I just went back to my book I remember reading this

> from. Now he did consider at first for the STAGE

> production John Garfield and Margaret Sullivan.

> It does say Olivia was his first choice.

>

> SusannO

Hence my disclaimer. The person I have in mind is someone else, and although I have read that she was Kazan's first choice, I have no way of knowing if that was true. She is certainly someone you would not associate with the role, but maybe he did think of using her. Who knows?

I know about De Havilland, who would seem a much more logical choice - so let me change my question:

Who was RUMORED to be Elia Kazan's first choice to play Blanche DuBois in the film version of "Streetcar Named Desire?"

OK guys, I am really stumped. I have this book:

Kazan - The Master Director Discusses His Films: Interviews with Elia Kazan

by Jeff Young

It only mentions Tandy and deHaviland.

You have my curiosity and I am going to leave soon and will not see the answer until later!!!

Let us know soon!

SusannO

No, not Liz.

I apologize - this wasn't really a good question, based, as it is, merely on my jumbled recollections of the 5 or 10 thousand books on Hollywood that I've read over the years.

The person I'm thinking of is MARY MARTIN. I'm sure I've read in more than one place that Kazan was considering her for Blanche. However, it could have merely been a case of a rumor being repeated. Nevertheless, although Martin was not a dramatic actress, it's not inconceivable to picture her in the part - she might have been made to fit the mold by Kazan.

I throw the floor open to questions.

> Peter Pan and Marlon Brando????

> Glad they went with Leigh!

Yes, I agree.

Mary Martin wasn't very good at being fragile. I could see her as, maybe, Amanda Wingfield in "Glass Menagerie," or as what's her name, the earthy hotel owner in "Night of the Iguana," but not as Blanche.

Who's got a question?

The weekend is when I get the least time online. I'll try to respond to any guesses as soon as I can.

Question:

What busy character actor, whose film career spanned over 50 years, was born in The Yukon?

Don't apologize, inglis. I read all the trivia threads, but some are really obscure and I haven't a clue. So - that's how I learn. (Also, some posters are unforunately not very patient if their clues aren't "gotten" immediately. Maybe, just maybe, it's not us, but their clues, that aren't brilliant.)

However, most of us are happy to provide clues to ease the burden. I'll give you one:

The actor I'm thinking of usually played a bad guy. He was in one of America's most famous and popular movies.

Archived