Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Trivia Quiz for Beginners

FredCDobbs

Let's see: Victor Jory was born in the Yukon, and his career spanned 1930 to 1987. He was in The Miracle Worker (1962) with Anne Bancroft and Patty Duke, for example.

On the other question, Gloria Grahame was married to Nicholas Ray from 1948 to 1952, then married Tony Ray, his son, in 1960, causing a scandal.

Okay, since Dan got Victor Jory, and I got Dan?s question (Gloria Grahame, at least I think that?s the answer; she won Best Actress in The Bad and the Beautiful in 1952 and was nominated a jillion other times), do I get the next question?

If so, I?ll ask this:

What actress was on the first cover of People magazine? Her sister Prudence was the inspiration to John Lennon?s song ?Dear Prudence.? She turned down the role of Mattie in True Grit.

Yep, Brad got it correct. The answer to the previous question is Mia Farrow.

Let's try a really tough one.

I'm thinking of a film made in the early 1930s that united -- for the first and only time -- THREE (3!) men who would become powerful forces in the movie industry -- one director, and two stars. All of them would become Oscar winners at different times.

For one of the two stars, this was his first feature film.

One more hint: An unrelated movie with the same title was made eight (8) years later, this time with a singing star in one of the lead roles.

What is the name of the film, and who are the three powerful forces I mentioned?

Dan N.

http://www.silentfilmguide.com

OK Dan, if this is for beginners I am afraid of your next one!!!

Here we go:

Movie Title: "Up The River" made in 1930 and 1938

Actors in 1930: Spencer Tracy (2 Oscar wins)

Humphrey Bogart ( 1 Oscar)

Director: John Ford ( I think 4 wins in all)

1938 version featured singer Tony Martin

I will now go have a drink!

SusannO

Hey Dan,

Great question, and thanks for coming over to liven up this thread! But let's try to get back to our normal routine. Whoever gets the question right gets to ask the next one, and when a guess is made, we usually wait for confirmation from the person who asked it before going on. Brad should be the next one to ask a question if he got it right. I'm not trying to be rude, but it does make for more order. Of course, if nobody else agrees with me, then continue on with the present format, and I'll try to keep up.

Gerb

I agree with Gerb. The reward for being the first to answer correctly is the right to ask the next question. Not trying to stifle you, Dan. If you feel like moderating your own trivia thread, go ahead and start one. MrWriteLa has one called "My Favorite Trivia" and we had a couple of others last spring. One I remember was moderated by coffeedan. If you are a clever and fair questioner, your thread will catch on like wildfire. If it doesn't, your always welcome to come and flounder around with me and Gerb and the rest of us trivia "experts." ;)

Shoot, your welcome even if you start 10 threads of your own. The object is to have fun. :D

CharlieT

Sorry, I've been busy watching the Rangers actually in the lead comfortably(for now :-)) I'm assuming from the last couple of posts that I can take a turn now so here goes:

What famous screen couple costarred seperately with Liz Taylor in two different films, and what are the films?

Hope that wasn't worded too confusingly :-)

Good luck!

Brad

And I agree with you all as well. I am too tired from answering the last one (and I am dying to know if it is right) to even consider coming up with a question!

Once we find out the answer, I will turn it over to Brad. And you better ask one that requires only one drink instead of the several I had on the last one!!!

SusannO

Well. you were too quick for me!

If I read it right here is my answer:

"Father of the Bride" and "Father's Little Dividend"

The couple was Spencer Tracy and Joan Bennett as Stanley and Ellie Banks.

Am I right?

SusannO

Now that I re-read it are you meaning seperate movies.

I will stick with Spencer and add Katherine Hepburn as Elizabeth's co-star in "Suddenly Last Summer"

I think I just broke all the rules to answering trivia questions!

Sorry everyone!

Message was edited by:

SusannO

I am really not doing well, I think they are too easy. Maybe they removed my tonsils as well as the trivia area of my brain!

Here it is, wait at least 2 minutes to make me feel better!

Who am I?

In the movies I played the mother of an actor who once played a short colonel.

In another movie I married a man who did not father my child!

I want the name of the actress and both the movie titles!

Was it that easy??? I knew to leave out "short" in the description as well as "tomorrow is Forever" just played.

Great job, your turn.

Now I need another drink, I used to be good at this!

Good thing I am out Newcastle or after tonight I would be tipsy!!

Real quick Dan, you will learn quickly here that I am a daddy's girl so if he liked it I've seen it. Yes, he really liked "Up The River". It it had Spencer in it, he liked it. My Dad did not care for Elvis so if anyone wants to completely knock me for a loop, ask about "The King"!

That's good to know, SusannO. Maybe you or your Dad know the answer to this one:

I'm thinking of a Pulitzer-Prize winning play that was made into a silent film and then a sound film, BOTH in the 1920s. Each film had a different title.

In 1940, the play was adapted for the screen a third time... this time, under its original title.

What is the title of the play, and what are the titles of the film adaptations?

Dan N.

Dan,

"Paper Moon" is on. I have had a beer (or two), my husband is out of town and I am enjoying looking at a young Ryan O'Neil! Give me until tomorrow unless someone beats me to it!!

You know if "Gilda" was on you would say the same thing. (unless she had already flipped her hair back!)

By the way, your web site is great!

Your forum pal

Susann

Yes, it is THEY KNEW WHAT THEY WANTED (1940). The Sidney Howard play of that title won the 1925 Pulitzer Prize, then was made into a 1928 movie, THE SECRET HOUR.

Another interesting fact is that, according to the 1975 John Douglas Eames volume "The MGM Story," this film spawned the quickest remake on record. It was made again, this time in a sound version, as Victor Seastrom's A LADY TO LOVE (1929). This is believed to be the only time that a silent film was remade as a talkie in the 1920s.

Then, of course, in 1940 the play was shot as a film again, this time with Charles Laughton and Carole Lombard in the lead roles.

Dan N.

Archived