Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Trivia Quiz for Beginners

FredCDobbs

Dan,

I searched on the web using various word combinations, asking for dates, Pulitzer Prize dramas, etc., but I couldn't find anything that linked those three films. The Net hasn't yet caught up. Very interesting. I've never seen the 1940 film, but I'm a big fan of the musical version "The Most Happy Fella." Love Frank Loesser, period.

Do I get partial credit, and should I go next?

Well, it's been an hour and no one has responded to my last post. I'm getting restless.

Here's my next question:

Name a star besides Shirley Temple who received a diplomatic appointment from an American president.

I guess that's correct, but it's not the one I was thinking of. My fault for not being more specific. Sorry. So you are right, and I ask bad questions.

I'll bet you can come up with a better constructed one than I just did, Tex. Please do.

Hi jdb1:

Well, as I told you in my last post, this information is from the book "The MGM Story," by John Douglas Eames. I believe the IMDb does credit Sidney Howard as the author of the underlying play, in all three films.

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. I guess I'm not one of these folks who remain at their computers hour after hour.

Cheers,

Dan N.

http://www.silentfilmguide.com

While we're between questions, I'm guessing the star who received a diplomatic appointment that jdb1 was fishing for was John Gavin, who starred in Imitation of Life (the Laaaana one), Psycho and Spartacus in a two-year period, was appointed US Ambassador to Mexico by RR and later went on to a remarkably successful business career.

> While we're between questions, I'm guessing the star

> who received a diplomatic appointment that jdb1 was

> fishing for was John Gavin, who starred in Imitation

> of Life (the Laaaana one), Psycho and Spartacus in a

> two-year period, was appointed US Ambassador to

> Mexico by RR and later went on to a remarkably

> successful business career.

Uh-uh. I was thinking "CLASSIC" star. I failed to take into account how freely those diplomatic plums are meted out.

I was thinking of IRENE DUNNE. She was appointed a "Special Delegate" to the UN by Eisenhower, very likely as a thank-you for the huge amounts of money she forked over to the Republican party.

It's been four (4) days since anyone has stepped in... so, may I drop in a new quiz?

What two brothers, both well established actors, appeared together in a film more than 50 years ago, and were reunited in another flick as mature adults, 38 years later?

In the first movie, one was a little boy; the other was a babe in arms, wrapped in a blanket. As fate and Hollywood would have it, the infant grew up to star in a film with the very lady who held him in her arms in that first movie.

Who are the brothers, and what are the names of the three (3) movies?

Dan N.

No answers? Okay, this question is right up your alley.

Dickie Moore is often considered to be the actor who gave Shirley Temple her first screen kiss. The film was "Miss Annie Rooney" (1942). But Moore was not REALLY the first boy to kiss Shirley on screen. Who was?

Hint: It was YEARS before "Miss Annie Rooney."

Dan N.

Okay, I've got the brothers one. Tough one, but I?ve got it. Jeff Bridges played an infant at a train station, and Beau Bridges a little boy in the train station, in The Company She Keeps (1951). Jeff was held by Jane Greer (a companion of Howard Hughes and wife of Rudy Vallee), who also was in Against All Odds (1984). Jeff and Beau were reunited on the screen in The Fabulous Baker Boys (1989).

On the Shirley Temple question, I'm going to guess that Eugene Butler maybe kissed her in Glad Rags to Riches (1932), which was one of those diaper movies she was in. I'm not a big ST fan and have never seen anything she did before Little Miss Marker, but she was kind of cute in that one.

You are RIGHT, on both questions!

Jeff Bridges was a baby, held in Jane Greer's arms in "The Company She Keeps" (1951), and as an adult he starred in "Against All Odds" (1984), in which Jane Greer had a small part.

And of course, his brother Beau was in the first movie, and also starred with Jeff in "The Fabulous Baker Boys" (1989).

You are also right about Shirley Temple's "first kiss." It wasn't Dickie Moore who first planted lips on ST, it was Eugene Butler. Your guess about the movie, "Glad Rags to Riches" (1932), isn't the one I had in mind, but maybe E.B. did this more than once. I saw him kiss Shirley (they were both about 5 years old) in "Polly Tix in Washington" (1933).

Take a bow, Stooge... in fact, take two.

Dan N.

Archived