• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Trivia Quiz for Beginners

FredCDobbs

Okay, here is ANOTHER quote from the same movie, spoken by the same actor:

"You can't buy me. I don't come cheap."

Remember, he also said:

"I had a dream last night that was so boring, it woke me up. I was afraid to go back to sleep."

As I said before, the speaker of these quotes was, at the time of the movie, merely an obscure supporting player. But he later became a major television star.

Who is the speaker, and what is the title of the movie?

Dan N.

http://dan-navarros-blog.blogspot.com

No, it isn't Michael Keaton.

I'm sad. Not because you gave the wrong answer, but because apparently people here aren't paying attention to the clues I've given.

Michael Keaton, as good an actor as he is, was NEVER a "major television star."

Another poster here guessed Charles Grodin. No... and when was Grodin a TV superstar?

Someone else guessed Bill Murray. Well, Bill Murray was a major TV star on "Saturday Night Live," but he had appeared in ONLY ONE movie before he made his debut on SNL... and he was uncredited for it. Not the profile we should be looking for.

The person who spoke the two quotes I mentioned was -- as I said -- a minor supporting player first; and LATER, he became a big TV star. He was a minor player when he spoke the lines I gave you, in a hit motion picture.

Another hint: The film in question was only this person's second theatrical feature, though he had done a lot of supporting work in TV.

And still ANOTHER hint: This person is still working in TV today.

Who spoke those lines, and in what film?

Dan N.

http://www.dan-navarros-blog.blogspot.com

Nope, not Henry Winkler.

Earlier, I wrote that the movie in question was made in the 1980s, and that the speaker was, at the time, an obscure supporting player. He didn't become a TV star until later.

NIGHT SHIFT (1982) was in the eighties, all right... but wasn't Henry Winkler already a big TV star, before then?

Just askin'.

Dan N.

Aftermath wrote:

"He had his own talk show on CNBC between 1995-1998 that's when"

Well, I guess I don't consider a talk show on basic cable an apt vehicle for a TV superstar.

Anyway, the speaker of the quotes is not Charles Grodin.

Dan N.

> Aftermath wrote:

>

> "He had his own talk show on CNBC between

> 1995-1998 that's when"

>

>

> Well, I guess I don't consider a talk show on basic

> cable an apt vehicle for a TV superstar.

Let's see? What YOUR saying is that if you had your own talk show on CNBC it wouldn't be a Big deal for YOU? What have you done in your life that is better than that? Did you invent a "Box Stretcher" or a "Sky Hook"? LOL :);)

> Hmmm... I'm beginning to sense what YOU meant when

> you said to me, on another thread:

>

> "Great! Now it's your turn to get unjustly

> blasted...."

>

> Doesn't feel so good. Anyway, Grodin is not the

> correct answer.

>

> Dan N.

Yeah but I wasn't mean and Bitchy like that other one! I said it with tongue in cheek and you know it wasn't meant to hurt you and perform or "Grandstand" for the benefit of other users. I am not like that and I think you know it! :)

Know what would be nice? In order to properly address this person or that, it would be good to know what gender they represent.

Over time, I've come to learn that jdb1 is female; so is Ayres. I think inglis is female as well, though I'm not sure.

Brad is, well, Brad; Charlie T. is probably male as well.

But I haven't a clue as to aftermath. Who you?

Dan N.

(I'm a guy.)

You mean what am I? I am a male who's intentions are good and try not to advance my position in life by screwing and being hurtful towards people. It seems my good intentions are always misinterpreted by shallow thinking people with pre-conceived notions that everyone is a Bastard and treat them like that accordingly. The proof was in that thread "Famous Lines". It appears jdb1 was in a bad mood to begin with and would have lectured Jesus Christ that day with relish. I didn't deserve her comments nor the one followed by her stooge inglis who has no idea what a complete thought means. I'm sorry I usually don't act this way but I'm still hurting from being Called a "Woman Hater" when it's the farthest thing that could be the truth. I have been a proponent of Woman's Rights since the offset back in the late 60's and resent that comment that jdb1 made! She was completely out of line and so was her flunky inglis who I consider "Comic Relief".

Aftermath

Aftermath, I am as sorry as I can be that you were hurt by some of the previous posts. Analyzing them, I suppose the most hurtful was by the person who said:

"First, we have had some really nasty experiences in the last few months with posters who got more than a little carried away with their self-perceived clever responses, and turned into raging, foul-worded, threatening trolls...."

But I don't think she intentionally maligned you. This is, after all, supposed to be a fun place where film buffs can trade questions (and occasional banter), and should not be anyone's whipping post.

As a King said, a while back:

"Can't we all just get along?"

Dan N.

As I said before I came on September 25, 2006, after I got a computer for my Birthday in August 2006, by my family. My friends suggested going to various web sites and me being a TCM fan kept hearing about "Visiting Our Web Site" by Robert Osborne. I did and decided to become active on that day in September. I thought it would be fun because I love movies as well as my record collection and thought I was going to have another "Hobby" by joining and have fun. What I didn't know that I was going to meet a lot of hateful people who name call and accuse and misinterpret what you say. For Christ sakes I've been even accused of being one of those people who disrupted the message board by a long time member of these boards. He said that "Aftermath" was a suitable name to use for all the mayhem that I created when all this nonsense was going on. I explained that being a Rolling Stones Fan ( Remember I am a record collector) ( Read my response in "What is your favorite Hobby), I chose the name "Aftermath" after my favorite Rolling Stones Album issued in the sixties! Talk about paranoia this guy was way off base with his accusations and I PM'd him and told him he is a "Finger Pointer" and if he accused me again I would make a formal complaint to the TCM Moderator. As I said before I do not know the people who disrupted the board before I joined, and I really don't want to know them. I also know I am tired of all these accusations and nasty comments directed to me by these shallow users on board. This is not what I expected and am really surprise of what was being said on these Message Boards. I've read that alot of regulars have dropped out and with what I have experienced in these 41 days I can understand why they did. This is "Dante's Inferno" with the exception of a few good people I've had the pleasure to correspond with. Well I think I got it all out and I am through jabbering, but let me just conclude and say if anyone dares to step on my toes or says an outlandish thing such as I am a "Woman Hater" get ready for the fight of your life because I don't back down,....,and even if you knock me down like in the movie "Cool Hand Luke" with his fight with George Kennedy, I'll get back up and will keep taking your best shot till I connect one to your jaw and put your lights out. I don't believe in fighting but I also don't believe in backing down when I know I am getting the shaft from someone. Thank's for reading, and may the days ahead be all happy one's for all of us!

Aftermath

Aftermath wrote:

" Thanks for reading, and may the days ahead be all happy ones for all of us!"

I agree. May all our days be happy ones.

Meanwhile, does anyone have any answers to my trivia question?

I posted the question on October 28, and since no one has guessed the movie title or the speaker of the quotes, here's another hint:

The actor who said those words is a member of a multiple award-winning family, with Emmys, Golden Globes, and an Oscar. He also has a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. Not bad, for a guy who was merely an obscure supporting player in the movie I'm asking about.

Who is he, and in what movie did he say these immortal words:

"I had a dream last night that was so boring, it woke me up. I was afraid to go back to sleep."

and

Dan N.

http://www.silentfilmguide.com

Dick Shawn will always, to me, be remembered for this great line:

"One and one's two/ Two and two's four/ I feel so bad 'cause I'm losin' the war!"

That's from the comedy hit THE PRODUCERS (1968), in which Shawn played a character named L.S.D., and portrayed Adolf Hitler in the show within the show. I haven't seen or heard anything funnier since.

Sadly, though, the memorable Dick Shawn was not the speaker of the two quotes I submitted for your approval.

Neither was Alan Alda.

Remember: The speaker of those two immortal lines was a mere supporting player at the time, but he made a large impact in this film. He later became a VERY BIG television star. And... he's still in TV to this day (unless they've cancelled his show in the last 24 hours)!

Also: This dude is a member of a multiple award-winning family. They've got Emmys, they've got Golden Globes, even an Oscar.

Who is he, and in what movie did he utter those immortal words?

Dan N.

The only family that has been reasonably successful and currently has someone on TV (as far as I can surmise) is the Sheen/Estevez family. I was going to guess Martin Sheen in Apocalypse Now, but I don't think he's still on and I wouldn't call him a BIG TV STAR. It could be Charlie Sheen, but I still don't consider him a BIG TV STAR and I don't have a clue as to what movie it would be.

Just running off at the fingertips. :)

CharlieT

Nice to hear from you, Charlie.

Well, the Sheen/Estevez family has been and still is very successful. But none of these family members took part in the quotes I've been asking about.

I don't want anyone to think I am misleading them, so... when I say the person in question (who said the quotes) is "a member of a multiple award-winning family," please understand that that doesn't necessarily mean they are related by blood.

In the case of my mystery person, he is an award-winning actor, and he is married to an award-winning actress. They are both still involved in the biz.

Now, THAT should tell you who it is, right there!

Dan N.

http://www.silentfilmguide.com

Well, it's time to put this puppy to sleep.

I posted my trivia question on October 28, ten days ago. That's long enough.

The correct answer is: Ted Danson, in BODY HEAT (1981).

He played a small role in support of the stars, William Hurt and Kathleen Turner, and in one scene he says (to Hurt):

"Last night I had a dream that was so boring, it woke me up. I was afraid to go back to sleep."

In another scene, the Hurt character tries to pay Danson's check at the lunch counter, but Danson -- who plays an assistant D.A. -- demurs and says:

As I'm sure everyone knows, a year later Ted Danson began his starring role in CHEERS (NBC-TV), and soared to the top of the TV ratings. The show ran for ten (10!) years.

Even after CHEERS ended, Danson continued in TV, with BECKER, which ran on CBS for six (6) seasons. And just this year, he began a new series, this time on ABC, called HELP ME HELP YOU.

This fabulously successful former bit player owns two Emmys (out of 11 nominations) and two Golden Globe awards. He is married to actress Mary Steenburgen, who has a Golden Globe and an Oscar for her performance in MELVIN AND HOWARD (1980).

My heartfelt thanks to all you Forum fans, who posted replies to my trivia question.

Dan N.

Message was edited by:

daneldorado

> Well, it's time to put this puppy to sleep.

> Dan N.

> daneldorado

As an animal lover I resent that malicious remark!................. ( See you can argue and be a jerk about anything that is written on this board! This is being used as a test for the future users who resort to that tactic and you know who you are or were!)

Aftermath

Archived