Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Trivia Quiz for Beginners

FredCDobbs

No, that's not the one. I'm thinking of a character, not a lead, actor. He generally played heavies, but later in his career he played a more comic type of heavy. Also, the incident that happened to him was during a group activity involving other boys. I don't know if any horses were present.

This is another one:

A boy fell into an icy river and was paralyzed and was kept in bed. Two birds come to his window that is open and sing to him, and then fly away. He looks over to a friend of his and says, "Spring?"

Judith, that sure sounds like Peter Vaughan. He has a 50-year acting career going, and his somewhat homely appearance made him a "natural" for heavies in his early films. But in recent decades, he has appeared in (at least) two Terry Gilliam movies which gave him somewhat lighter roles.

Is this who you had in mind?

Dan N.

Sorry, Dan, it's neither one of those you mentioned.

This actor played in more westerns, I think, than in any other kind of films. The childhood incident in question affected his eyes. As his popularity slowly grew, he went from being reprehensible baddie to lovable baddie. He's also known for a quip he made describing the arc of his career, a quip which just about any actor can use accurately.

> The childhood incident in question affected his

> eyes. As his popularity slowly grew, he went from

> being reprehensible baddie to lovable baddie.

>

>

> Jack Elam!

> http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001181/bio

Jack Elam it is. He was jabbed in the eye with a pencil at a Boy Scout meeting, which cost him his vision, and gave him that louche look, so desirable in a villain. His oft-quoted quip, summarizing his career, is "Who's Jack Elam. Get me Jack Elam. I want a Jack Elam type. I want a young Jack Elam. Who's Jack Elam?"

There's been some consternation about this thread remaining inactive for so long. Although it is not my turn, I am willing to try to kick start it again.

I appeared in more than 50 films with actors such as Gary Cooper, Errol Flynn, Walter Brennan, Bob Hope, Spencer Tracy, Gene Lockhart, Barbara Stanwyck, Bing Crosby, Edward Arnold, Joe E. Brown, Robert Young, Fay Wray and Dorothy Lamour. In spite of rubbing elbows with all of these famous names, I was internationally famous in another field of endeavor. I was even the subject of a well-known bio-pic.

Who am I?

CharlieT

I appeared in more than 50 films with actors such as Gary Cooper, Errol Flynn, Walter Brennan, Bob Hope, Spencer Tracy, Gene Lockhart, Barbara Stanwyck, Bing Crosby, Edward Arnold, Joe E. Brown, Robert Young, Fay Wray and Dorothy Lamour. In spite of rubbing elbows with all of these famous names, I was internationally famous in another field of endeavor. I was even the subject of a well-known bio-pic.

Ronald Reagan?

Nope, not Ronald Reagan.

Although I gained international fame, my personal life had it's ups and downs. My twin brother, Charlie, died when we were nine. In spite of my fame, I was never considered well-off financially. In most of my movies, I was either uncredited or my role was so small that my fans try to find me just for fun. I did have dialogue (only a word or two) in one movie that most everyone on these boards has seen. And, this may be the giveaway, I had a town in the United States named after me.

Once again, who am I?

CharlieT

Okay, here's one that you guys and gals are sure to guess, right away.

If you?re a fan of Golden Age movies, you?ve seen me ? probably many times. You know my face from the dozens of films I was in, but you probably don?t know my name.

I was in many Broadway plays, and became the prot?g? of a famous playwright.

Once in Hollywood, I embarked on a career that carried me through more than 170 films. Although my career in talking pictures was lengthy, I never appeared as a young person. I was always seen as either middle-aged or elderly.

Who am I?

Dan N.

http://www.silentfiilmguide.com

No new responses for three days. Not good. Okay, here's another hint:

I worked with most of the big stars of the day -- Gloria Swanson, Donna Reed, Kirk Douglas, Franchot Tone, and many others. One of my films is a Christmas perennial.

Who am I?

Dan N.

Archived