Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Trivia Quiz for Beginners

FredCDobbs

"H.B. Warner?"

No, but I was in five (5) films with H.B. Warner.

Some of you are not doing the research. I said, when I first posed the question, that I appeared in more than 170 movies. Warner was a good actor, but he wasn't in as many films as that.

You've seen me dozens of times, I'm sure. I was usually cast as an officious busybody, or a miser, or a harried old geezer. But I was also capable of playing sympathetic roles. In one World War II film, I helped the main characters foil the Nazis.

Who am I?

Dan N.

No, I'm not Sanders, Cooper, Faylen, Horton or Lane.

If you've seen a lot of Golden Age movies -- I'd say that was from about 1931 to somewhere in the 1950s -- then you've seen me. Probably many times.

Remember the original question? Here it is again:

If you?re a fan of Golden Age movies, you?ve seen me ? probably many times. You know my face from the dozens of films I was in, but you probably don?t know my name.

I was in many Broadway plays, and became the prot?g? of a famous playwright.

Once in Hollywood, I embarked on a career that carried me through more than 170 films. Although my career in talking pictures was lengthy, I never appeared as a young person. I was always seen as either middle-aged or elderly.

Who am I?

In addition to those clues, I've offered that I was usually cast as an unsavory character, but could also do sympathetic roles... and in one of those, I helped the main characters foil the Nazis. I've also said that I am in a Christmas perennial.

Who am I?

Dan N.

Well, This is my first time here and I love trivia. Not sure how this works but My answer to this question is Bert Moorehouse. I think he was in over 250 films but then 250 is more that 170 so that fits. I hope I was right but if not I'll try again. If anyone wants to they can check out my "Sound of Classic Hollywood" contest on my website. http://www.classicmoviecorner.com

Have a great day,

The Man Behind the Curtain

"Well, This is my first time here and I love trivia. Not sure how this works but My answer to this question is Bert Moorehouse."

You guys are closing in. Bert Moorehouse was in "more than 170 films" so that would qualify him as a "possible"... but I'm not him.

Remember, one of the clues is that in talking pictures I was always seen as either middle-aged or elderly. I never looked young. Bert Moorehouse was in talkies as early as 1929, and he was a young man (early thirties).

Oh, and Charlie: Not Victor Jory either.

Who am I?

Dan N.

"Samuel S. Hinds?"

A very good reply. Wrong, but good.

Samuel S. Hinds was amazing. He didn't begin acting until he was 54 years old... and then, he appeared in over 200 films! Great career.

And it has always amused me that, in "Destry Rides Again" (1939), he appeared as one of the dastardly villains arrayed against James Stewart... and then in "It's a Wonderful Life" (1946), he appeared as Stewart's lovable old father. The man had range.

One of the great things about these trivia questions is that you can construct them in such a way as to point to ONLY the person you're talking about... hopefully. Thus, although Samuel S. Hinds had a career that was similar to mine -- over 170 movies, never appearing in sound films as a young man -- he still doesn't satisfy the remaining clues.

In my original post, I said:

"I was in many Broadway plays, and became the prot?g? of a famous playwright."

Now, if you can show that Samuel S. Hinds can match that stat, I will proclaim you, Charlie T., the winner and still champion of TCM Trivia!

BTW: Tomorrow is the 24th, exactly one week after I first posted the question. If you don't name me today, tomorrow I pull the plug and spill the answer.

Cheers,

Dan N.

"How about Sam Ash?"

No, not Sam Ash either. Here's another clue:

In my first talking picture -- an adaptation of a Broadway hit -- I recreated the role that I originated on Broadway... and yet, I was uncredited in the movie!

Who am I?

Dan N.

I don't believe it is fair for any one person to "tie up" these trivia boards for longer than one week. That said, it has now been a week since I posted my question about the gentleman with the 170-plus films career:

CHARLES HALTON. (http://www.dougmacaulay.com/kingspud/sel_by_actor_index_2.php?actor_first=Charles&actor_last=Halton)

You have seen him in, probably, dozens of movies if not more. He was short, bespectacled, and usually wore an expression like he was sucking on a pickle. But he was very much in demand during the Golden Age, playing auditors, bankers, lawyers, businessmen, and other officious types.

Halton's most-seen role (probably!) is as the bank examiner, Mr. Carter, who shows up in "It's a Wonderful Life" (1946) to examine the books of the Bailey Building and Loan Association. But he also played sympathetic roles, as in "To Be or Not to Be" (1942), as a harried Polish stage manager. He was George Brent's business partner, Mr. Crosby, in "More Than a Secretary" (1936).

Anyway, the quiz is over; let the new quiz begin.

Take it, guys.

Dan N.

Archived