Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Trivia Quiz for Beginners

FredCDobbs

That's it. Pretty impressive, old boy.

Both gentlemen were married to Margo (often called "the sultry Margo" in fan magazines). Consecutively, that is - first Lederer, then Albert.

Who has another?

Hey! Watch that "old boy" stuff, Judith. I've got a few good years left.

Okay, my turn.

This is one of those "Do You Know Me?" questions, but since you've got that thread tied up for now, I'll post it here.

I?m an Oscar winner, although my acting career began later in life than most actors?. My first Broadway appearance was in a show whose title character never appeared on stage. When I began in the movies, I played a variety of supporting roles before becoming a star.

In my long career (and in real life), I was associated with the ocean probably more than any other actor.

Who am I?

"Hi- I'm new to this board. O.K. if I give it a try? Could it be LLoyd Bridges?? Watched him in the late 50's early 60's on the popular Sea Hunt. Linda"

Hiya, Newbie. Welcome to Trivia Quiz for Beginners, and thanks for playing.

Well, Linda, Lloyd Bridges was famous for appearing on "Sea Hunt," all right. But in these trivia games, you have to consider EVERY clue that's given.

Mr. Bridges never won an Oscar, as I did. And he began in pictures at age 23, which I don't consider "late in life." My career began much later than that.

Nope, I am not Lloyd Bridges... though we are from the same generation.

Who am I?

Dan N.

No. Like I told the previous respondent, you have to consider ALL the clues given.

Spencer Tracy was, indeed, in those films you name, all having something to do with the ocean. But remember, I said I was associated with the ocean "In my long career AND IN REAL LIFE."

Tracy enlisted in the Navy at the start of World War I, but was still in basic training when the war ended. Not much "ocean association" there.

Also, although Tracy had a long career in films, my career was longer still.

Who am I?

Dan N.

http://www.silentfilmguide.com

"Is it Van Heflin? He was a lifelong sailing enthusiast."

No. Just like I told the last two respondents, you have to consider ALL the clues.

I've said that my film career was longer than Spencer Tracy's. But Heflin, Oscar winner though he was, was in fewer films than Tracy. Also, Heflin began in films at age 26... so, obviously, Heflin's not the one.

Who am I?

Dan N.

Well, Dan, I was looking not at number of films made, but at length of career span, and Tracy and Heflin were pretty close in that respect, although in different time frames.

Anyway -- How about Ernest Borgnine?

He was an Oscar winner. He was in the Navy for about 10 years before he started acting. He was the star of "McHale's Navy" on TV. He was in the Broadway production of "Harvey." And (most) people in the audience never actually saw that eponymous pooka. His career has spanned over 50 years.

Judith, old girl, you are right! Ernest Borgnine is our guy!

He just turned 90 this week, and from what I read he is still (mc)hale and hearty, God love him!

In addition to Borgnine's ten years in the U.S. Navy and his four-year stint in "McHale's Navy" on TV, I was also thinking of Borgnine in that claustrophobic, protracted ordeal under water in "The Poseidon Adventure" (1972).

Man! I've been on ocean cruises, but I never want to be on one like that!

Your turn, old girl. Make it a good one.

Dan N.

Sorry, Dan, I've got nothing this afternoon. I'm in the midst of trying to add additional weatherproofing to my windows (I rent). Just checked in to see how everyone is. My windows are like the Old Haney Farm on "Green Acres." They refuse to be repaired. Cold termperatures predicted for tomorrow - it gets freezing in here.

Anyone else may feel free to interpose. I may have one for you this evening.

PS - I don't mind "old girl" even though I am rather old. A fortunate set of good genes keeps me from minding it. One of my best friends always calls me "Old Bean," but he's a double Harvard man, so allowances have to be made.

We Who Are About to Die?

Bill, you really must like that movie. This is the same answer that you posted to the "My Favorite Trivia" thread back on January 19.

But no, "We Who Are About to Die" is not the correct answer.

The movie in question is based on a stage play.

Dan N.

Bartlett, you've got it!

At the end of "Detective Story" (1951), the Kirk Douglas character is fatally wounded. And, as he lies dying on the floor of the squad room, he starts to recite the Act of Contrition... you know the one:

"Oh my God, I am heartily sorry for having offended you...."

He gets about halfway through the prayer, then expires. His friend, William Bendix, picks up where he left off, and as he cradles Douglas' body in his arms, he finishes the prayer.

The end.

Your turn, B.

Dan N.

These lines I always enjoyed...should be easy for "Beginners". Person # 1. - "Hey, I got a question! How are you planning to get back down that Hill?".......Person #2. - "Now wait a minute! I'm getting back down the same way I came up!" Who were the actors who spoke these lines and what was the movie?

Bartlett

Archived