Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Trivia Quiz for Beginners

FredCDobbs

It's been over 24 hours since a response so I will give an additional clue as to who the 45 year old actor was who's career was curtailed as a result of his trying to date 16 year old Tuesday Weld. He was married to a famous actress who was the sister of a famous game show host.

45 year old actor was who's career was curtailed as a result of his trying to date 16 year old Tuesday Weld.

Somehow I just didn't see this one earlier - I wish they were all that easy to find:

John Ireland

[At age 45, on his affair with 16 year old Tuesday Weld] "If there wasn't such a difference in our ages I'd ask her to marry me. That and her mother are the only things that stop me".

http://www.imdb.com/Bio?Ireland,John(I)

I was the director (though that wasn't the term I used) of a large opera company LONG before Beverly Sills' time at NYC Opera; while "Bubbles" made and is making many television appearances, mine included movies, radio and records. My two films were in the middle of the silent era, and I was a character in another soprano's biopic in the early 1950s. I made non-singing radio appearances with Jeanette MacDonald, among others.

Who am I, and whose biopic did my character appear in? Bonus (!) for the radio appearance with JM. Also, bonus for the language I preferred for my operatic performances (regardless of the original language of the opera); also, though I became an American citizen, can you name the country in which I was born and died - at an advanced age. My end was rather tragic; it made world-wide news.

Bill

If he happens across this, I have a feeling who will be the first to "get" it.

Message was edited by: me, because it needed clearing up in the details!

Bill_McCrary

Bill:

Could you clarify your question for us? I dunno, maybe I'm just thick.

This portion of your question doesn't seem to make sense:

Also, for the language I preferred for my operatic performances (regardless of the original language of the opera); also, though I became an American citizen, the country in which I was born and died - at an advanced age.

Thanks in advance for your clarification.

Dan N.

You are:

Mary Garden.

You sang all your roles in French, regardless of the original languages.

Mabel Albertson portrayed you in the 1953 biopic of Grace Moore, "So This is Love."

On radio with Jeanette MacDonald: "Tonight or Never," January 25, 1937.

Dan N.

Mary Garden. You sang all your roles in French, regardless of the original languages. Mabel Albertson portrayed you in the 1953 biopic of Grace Moore, "So This is Love." On radio with Jeanette MacDonald: "Tonight or Never, January 25, 1937.

I'm impressed. Either you know your opera singers, or.....

She titled herself "directa" (a term apparently not known to any tongue) of the Chicago Opera, before bankrupting it in the '20s with her lavish productions. She made two silent films released in 1918, one being of her most famous operatic role, Thais. She successfully made it through more than 90 years before dying after being terribly burned while attempting to light a faulty stove, back home in Aberdeen. Possibly her second-most famous role was the Juggler of Notre Dame (of which Nesbitt's Passing Parade "The Christmas Miracle" was the same story); she played and sang (transposed, of course) the male role of the Juggler.

Quite a personality.

OK - next one, please.

Bill

Okay, this is a bump... but with an extra hint.

What film contains the following line:

"When America deports you, they do it in style."

What's the title of the movie, and who says that line?

As an extra clue, I'll give you some additional dialogue from that same movie. The leading man says: "Would you mind stepping on the scale, please?" And his costar says, "Yes, I do." And he replies, "It's not the weight... it's the height."

Okay, trivia buffs: Let's hear it! What's the name of the movie?

Dan N.

Dan, I wish I could provide some better-educated guesses for you, but it seems that I, like many of our fellow trivians, simply don't memorize the lines of every film I've ever seen, and I'm afraid I'm not as well-versed as I should be in silent movie lore. I haven't had the opportunity to see very many silent films - I wish I had.

On another thread here, you mention that your question involves a contemporary movie (earlier than "My Favorite Year" I think). See, there's the thing - I don't even see most movies until they are oldies and are shown on TV. There aren't very many first-run movie theaters left in Brooklyn, and those that are still there are miles from where I live (Brooklyn's pretty big, remember).

It seems that every thread here has become a "lines from movies" thread. I'm happy to be learning things about movies that I didn't know before, but I don't have hours and hours to devote to research in answering a Trivia question. Since we're not getting it after days and days of prodding, maybe a different tack needs to be taken? Like a different sort of question? Just a thought. Sorry I'm not smarter at this.

JDB

jdb1 wrote:

"I'm afraid I'm not as well-versed as I should be in silent movie lore. I haven't had the opportunity to see very many silent films - I wish I had.

"...maybe a different tack needs to be taken? Like a different sort of question? Just a thought. Sorry I'm not smarter at this."

Well, the movie in this question is not silent, it was made in the 1970s.

On another point: You, Judith, cracked one question that I thought NO ONE would get: You correctly identified Leo Carrillo, Hume Cronyn, and Lorne Greene as pioneers of color television. So don't sell yourself short, you are still a formidable trivia buff.

Dan N.

Lets pull all the stops and shoot arrows into the air and see if we score a bulls eye:

1. - 1950 - "The Black Hand" - J. Carroll Nash

2. - 1958 - "Machine Gun Kelly - Charles Bronson

2. - 1959 - "AL Capone" - Rod Steiger

3. - 1960 - "Murder Incorporated - Peter Falk

4 - 1960 - "The Purple Gang" - Rober Blake.

5. - 1972 - "The Godfather - Marlon Brando

6. - 1972 - "The Vallashi Papers" - Charles Bronson

7. - 1973 - "Crazy Joe" - Peter Boyle

8. - 1975 - "Capone" - Ben Gazzara

9. - 1988 - "The Untouchables" - Andy Garcia

10 - 1988 - "Things Change" - Joe Mantegna or Don Ameche

Bartlett

Thanks for the compliment, Dan. However, my point yesterday was simply that it might be better if you put your "lines from" and "silents" questions on their own threads for devotees of same, and leave the other existing threads for us wonks to pursue. That way, solvers will be cued as to which threads will best suit their talents.

(By the way, I got that "tough" question of yours primarily because I'm old enough to remember the days of non-color TV!)

Long live the Trivium!

hello again

let me try 'avanti' with jack lemmon and directed by billy wilder.

i must say, you're all so good at this that i'm afraid to be next.

norbell

Shed your fears, norbell, for you ARE next!

"Avanti!" (1972) is, indeed the right movie. The line is said by Italian actor Gianfranco Barra, when he's telling Jack Lemmon about his experience with U.S. immigration authorities. Barra, by the way, is apparently a very busy actor in his native Italy, still acting, with 88 films to his credit.

Go for it, norbell!

Dan N.

http://www.silentfilmguide.com

Archived