Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Trivia Quiz for Beginners

FredCDobbs

> what was the name of the first MickeyMouse cartoon?

Is it Plane Crazy? It stars Mickey and was released in 1928 a couple of months before Steamboat Willie (May 15 versus July 29). As I understand it, Plane Crazy and Gallopin' Gaucho (released on August 7) are Mickey's only silent cartoons.

Edit: I see now that you were looking for Mickey's first sound cartoon. Nevermind.

DavidE

http://www.classicfilmpreview.com

Looking at the other messages in the thread, I wonder if I should have jumped in so quickly with that answer. Looks like the idea is to let beginners have a chance. Sorry about that.

OK, here's another quiz question. Looking at the 1920s films of Douglas Fairbanks and the 1930s films of Errol Flynn, it's easy to see that the Flynn movies were heavily influenced by Fairbanks. One performer even played the same part in both a Fairbanks and Flynn movie. It?s a significant role in both films. Who was the actor or actress? And what was the part he or she played?

DavidE

> Looking at your first posting date even though you don't

> think so YOUR a BEGINNER! You must also be a magician

> because your doubt of being a beginner has dissapeared!

I thought it best to paste into my next message (I don't even know why now).

I guess it depends on whether a "beginner" refers to people new to the forums or new to classic films. If new to classic films, they may still know the answer if it happens to be a film they've seen recently.

Me, I can remember details about some movies I saw many, many years ago, but I still can't remember a person's name five seconds after being introduced. Go figure!

OK, here's another quiz question. Looking at the 1920s films of Douglas Fairbanks and the 1930s films of Errol Flynn, it's easy to see that the Flynn movies were heavily influenced by Fairbanks. One performer even played the same part in both a Fairbanks and Flynn movie. It?s a significant role in both films. Who was the actor or actress? And what was the part he or she played?

Alan Hale (Sr) played Little John in both the 1922 Fairbanks version, and the 1938 Flynn film (and, yet again, in the 1950 ROGUES OF SHERWOOD FOREST, which starred John Derek).

Your arrow flies true, oh sageful one.

I didn't know about the third time. That's quite a span of years for playing the same part. Which begs the question: Who has played the same part over the longest span of years? (I haven't a clue, and it's not an official trivia question.) Mel Blanc as Bugs Bunny? Clarence "Ducky" Nash as Donald Duck?

Over to you, CineSage jr.

DavidE

That's an interesting question. Playing characters multiple times isn't terribly common, and I can't think of anyone who did it over a 28-year period, as Hale did. Some other examples (though the second time is usually little more than a cameo):

Raymond Massey as Abraham Lincoln (ABE LINCOLN IN ILLINOIS, 1940; and HOW THE WEST WAS WON, 1963).

James Cagney as George M. Cohan (YANKEE DOODLE DANDY, 1942; and THE SEVEN LITTLE FOYS, 1955).

Brian Donlevy and Akim Tamiroff as, respectively, McGinty and "The Boss," in THE GREAT McGINTY, 1940; and THE MIRACLE OF MORGAN'S CREEK, 1944).

Peter O'Toole as King Henry II in BECKET, 1964; and THE LION IN WINTER, 1968.

> That's an interesting question. Playing characters

> multiple times isn't terribly common, and I can't

> think of anyone who did it over a 28-year period, as

> Hale did.

>

>

The only one who comes closest, to my knowledge, would be Paul Newman, as "Fast Eddie" Felson in The Hustler (1961) and The Color of Money (1986), for a span of 25 years.

Isn't Spielberg considering another Indiana Jones movie? If Harrison Ford plays the part again, it would span from 1981 to whenever the new one is released. Sean Connery's James Bond reaches from Dr. No (1962) to Never Say Never Again (1983). And William Powell and Myrna Loy, as Nick and Nora Charles, lasted a respectable 13 years from The Thin Man (1934) to Song of the Thin Man (1947). Those were long running series, which might be different longevity category altogether from the ones we?ve been mentioning.

Yet another category might be roles that recur briefly in a remake, as an homage to the original. Kevin McCarthy can be seen in the 1978 remake of Invasion of the Body Snatchers still warning the public about the pods, presumably yelling non-stop for the past 22 years.

If I'm not intruding/stepping on toes, I'd like to try and help out with the following speculations:

Shark = Burt Reynolds [sharky's Machine]

Ozark = Ronny Cox [bound for Glory] role: Ozark Bule

G-Man = Jon Voight [Enemy of the State]

Seaman = Ned Beatty [showboat] [he played Cap'n Andy on Broadway]

Archived