Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What were they doing in the movie Sayonara?

What were the men in the canal doing in the water by Red Buttons and his wife's home. At first glance I thought they were fishing but the water is not very deep or it doesn't appear to be on camera. They were showed with multi colored cloths or nets??? under the water moving it back and forth and side to side by the walk over bridge. Also was Sayonara based on a true story I mean the couple played by Brando and his intended? I'm sure it was based on a real situation.

It's based on the novel by James A. Michener, whose massive books were always meticulously researched. I imagine that the story is fictional, but actual individual incidents may have inspired Michener's writing.

As to what the men were doing at the canal, I haven't the faintest idea, though I suppose its possible that there was supposed to be a textile mill in the neighborhood.

I was under the impression that they were dying silks, but I don't know for sure.

Interestingly, I read that the end of this movie was changed by Marlon Brando. He felt that it would do more for race relations if the couple defied tradition and married, rather than being tragically parted by the demands of her culture, as they were in Michener's novel.