Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Why not a thread regarding the three sexiest woman-Old Hollywood?

ken123

Its hard to limit the subject to three-But here goes;

1Maureen O'Hara

2Ann Sheridan

3Dorothy Dandridge-----Honorable mention-Joan Bennett-Joan Blondell,Lena Horne,Linda Darnell,and Paulette Goddard.I could go on,and on!

Hey! Ann Sheridan made the list again! Hooray!

I agree, Hooray! Lately, Ann has been getting a lot of mention and respect on these threads, which thrills me. One question in connection with this topic: When does "Old Hollywood" end, and New Hollywood commence? I'm going to arbitrarily set the line for me around 1950. So, my votes are:

1. Ann Sheridan* (I can't be objective, and Ann finishes Number 1 on any list I make of actresses, i.e. funniest, sexiest, most underrated, etc.). So, excluding her, my top three would be:

1. Ava Gardner

2. Rita Hayworth

3. Lana Turner

You have excellent taste! Love all four. Now, as to when old Hollywood ended. I would say 1950, too. But, I think it trickles somewhat into the Fifties almost to the Sixties. When did all the studios start shutting down? MY Hollywood goes from the Twenties through the Fifties right up to 1960, and then almost anything is difficult to watch. Although I imagine there were a couple of holdouts. Can't think of any right now. I'm sure someone will remember something.

And! I always thought Ann should have received an Oscar nod for her performance in King's Row.

I would say that old Hollywood ended in the late 60's. By that time, a good deal of the movies were starting to incorporate shock tactics, sex, horror, drugs...you know, all that good stuff. But that's just my opinion. Early 60's movies were a little risque, but by risque I mean those Doris Day-esque bedroom comedies, which were tame by the late 60's. Gotta love that whole counter culture movement!

Rita Hayworth managed to ooze more sex appeal from her "striptease" in 'Gilda' than any actress taking her clothes off today. Jean Arthur had that sultry voice. But I really adore Paula Prentiss. She was beautiful, but she was really funny too. Carole Lombard would go in that category as well.

Gotta agree with you about Rita! A great star! I liked Jean Arthur, too. My favorites are Easy Living, The More the Merrier, and Mr. Deeds. Paula Prentiss was one of my all time favs. She didn't get her due. And, Lombard was superlative.

You are probably right. I used to watch those Doris Day movies growing up. The were good clean fun. There was also My Fair Lady and Mary Poppins on the lighter side, but a lot of those movies really started to get heavy. Elmer Gantry, To Kill a Mockingbird, and Who's Afraid of Virgina Woolfe. Great films, but I am an old Thirties and Forties kinda guy, which of course includes the Twenties and the Fifties!

Humm, tough one, there were so many.

Let me see.... some sirens, some just plain sexy. Wait, how can one be "Plain Sexy?" LOL :-) Anyway, here goes...

Linda Darnell

Carole Lombard

Marlene Deitrich

Bette Davis

Hedy Lamar

Frances Farmer

Claudette Colbert

Gloria Swanson

Irene Dunne

Barbara Stanwyck

Paulette Goddard

Lana Turner

Myrna Loy

Loretta Young

Patricia Neil

Rosalind Russell

Elizabeth Taylor

Vivien Leigh

Ann Baxter

Eleanor Parker

Ann Sothern

Rita Hayworth

Gale Sondergaard

Deborah Kerr

Lauren Bacall

Sophia Loren

Though I've missed a lot of great women, my final siren is .... Marilyn Monroe.

Sorry if I misspelled any names.

Be well,

Splendorflight

> Its hard to limit the subject to three-But here

> goes;

> 1Maureen O'Hara

> 2Ann Sheridan

> 3Dorothy Dandridge-----Honorable mention-Joan

> Bennett-Joan Blondell,Lena Horne,Linda Darnell,and

> Paulette Goddard.I could go on,and on!

Norma Shearer, Ann Sheridan, Lillian Gish...Many more too !!!!!