Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

PETITION: Eva Gabor movies on TCM

1920sfan

Eva Gabor was in a lot of movies, but rarely in roles of significance. I've always been curious to see The Wife of Monte Cristo, directed by B-movie legend Edgar Ulmer, as I've seen stills from it where Miss Gabor looked fantastic. I'm also curious about A Royal Scandal, as much to see Tallulah Bankhead as Catherine the Great as to see Eva in her small role as Countess Demidow.

She was a brunette in Love Island, a movie that was released in 1949 and was a bomb and quickly taken out of distribution. A few years later her, with her fame growing, the movie was released in hopes of cashing in on Eva's name (much to her disappointment; she reportedly wanted this one forgotten). She actually starred in her first picture, Forced Landing, an independent picture made with Richard Arlen and Nils Asther.

Eva was featured in the June Allyson/David Niven remake of My Man Godfrey and had her name above the title (along with Laurence Harvey, Julie Harris, and Mai Zaetterling) of The Truth About Women.

Some of these would be easier to get ahold of than others. I wonder if Forced Landing is lost. Has anyone seen it?

Hey, Jack! I was fortunate enough to have seen A Royal Scandal in my youth! It is absoulutely fabulous! With Tallulah going around saying Darling this and Darling that! It is a marvelous parody of herself. She is GREAT as Catherine. But, I don't remember Eva at all! Small wonder with such a powerhouse!

Wow! Was it in color? I'm so used to Detriech's Scarlett Empress, I'd be interested to see another take on that realm. I know it was a 20th Century Fox pic, so I wonder if Fox Movie Channel ever shows it. It seems a picture that Lyle Wheeler could have really sunk his teeth into; was it opulent?

Was it Eva or Zsa Zsa in the original (John Huston directed) "Moulin Rouge"?

Zsa Zsa or Eva in "The Last Time I Saw Paris"?

I believe it's definitely Eva in Minnelli's sumptuous "Gigi," right?

Sure...Why not Eva (or Zsa Zsa -- or both) as TCM Star of the Month?

Hi,

Ya gotta love a Gabor!!! Put them in a movie and they'll run away with it...

Eva was in a movie, "Don't Go Near the Water" about American on a Pacific island during WWII. She palyed a reporter, who drives everyone crazy breaking all the rules, ending up on a destroyer with all those men. I think Glenn Ford was in it too.

Also, she was with Glenn in "It Started with a Kiss" and Debbie Reynolds too.

Larry

Hi TMN,

Ya, that was a fun movie. Apparently she insisted on eating with the enlisted men and even invited some of them and their wives/girlfriends to a party at her Hollywood home when they landed in San Diego.

Great gal.

Larry

• 3 months later...

I could never tell the two of them apart unless they were standing next to each other. The funny thing is, I always thought of them as movie stars, but their career according to imdb for both of them was in television. They both made a few movies but T.V. was their actual playground. Between them, Magda, and Mama they sure put Hungary on the map.

Anne

"I don't think I've ever seen Eva in a movie, but I dearly love 'Green Acres.'"

I'm betting that you've seen Eva in a movie, Mr. Parker. Gigi, non? She was the vivacious Liane d'Exelmans, the paramour of Gaston Lachaille. Her character was actually having an affair with Sandomir, and M. Lachaille (fils) breaks off their relationship and she attempts suicide (again).

How about Don't Go Near the Water or the remake of My Man Godfrey (with David Niven as Godfrey)? Artists and Models, which used to be shown on [said with derision] AMC? The Last Time I Saw Paris?

Ooh, I wish "Artists and Models" would be on dvd! Or at least shown on tv again. I love any movie with the Dean Martin/Shirley Maclaine pairing. Those two sparkled together!

Eva Gabor was also in "It Started With a Kiss" (1959, with Debbie Reynolds and Glenn Ford). They show that one on TCM from time to time. Another fluffy 60's sex comedy with Ms. Gabor is "A New Kind of Love", with Paul Newman and Joanne Woodward. It's not on any of the cable channels, but I got my copy off Amazon for $6. Total steal.