Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What the heck was that?!

JackBurley

I just saw The Great Morgan on TCM (celebrating Frank Morgan's birthday). It was great to see so many faces behind the names -- Douglas Shearer, Irene, Cedric Gibbons all made appearances. But the movie seemed to be a collection of outtakes from other pictures, along with a couple of short subjects. Does anyone know the story behind this movie? Presuming that the musical numbers were cut from other movies, does anyone know from what pictures the Eleanor Powell, Virginia O'Brien and Tommy Dorsey, King Sisters and Carlos Ram?rez/Lucille Norman scenes were excised?

Well, I don't know the offical story, but it seems to have been a combination of what I call a "For Good and Faithful Service" movie, rewarding Morgan for his long service with the studio (not unlike what they did for Louis Calhern with THE MAGNIFICENT YANKEE), the opportunity to make something resembling an all-star production at minimal cost -- since, as you point out, a lot of the footage was already in the can -- to fill out the production schedule which back then mandated a minimum number of films produced per year.