Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Yul Brynner and his women

traceyk65

Ok, this question falls under the category of nasty gossip and possibly unhealthy interest in dead people's sex lives, but I was reading the book Bette and Joan:The Divine Feud by Shaun Considine, which is a very entertaining read, BTW. Anyway, during the 1950's part it talks about the affair Joan Crawford had with Yul Brynner in about 1951. It sounded kind of intense--she talks about calling him between acts during his show in NY when she was in California and the description of their affair sounds a lot like the descriptions I've read of his affair with Marlene Dietrich, which according to all the bios of her I've read, happened around the same time.

My question: is there some confusion as to the identity of the actress he was fooling around with (sometimes you'll read the same story about more than one actor or actress) or did this guy just get around? I can't imagine either lady sharing him, though they neither one seemed adverse to passing a guy (or girl) along when they were done.

traceyk, there is no doubt that the bald headed rascal Yul Brynner was a ladies man. Dietrich was crazy about him, and Crawford usually didn't miss a chance for a roll in the hay, with a guy of her liking.

You can be sure that Mr. Brynner didn't miss a **** in a windstorm when it came to canoodling with a glamourous woman. Why not?

Hey Tracyk, another entertaining read is Rock Brynner's bio of his father, "Yul: The Man Who Would Be King" & from what the younger Brynner says, his dad was definitely a rover, so any alleged simultaneous entanglements were quite possible. He probably believed as Oscar Wilde did, that most virtue is simply lack of opportunity--and being an attractive fella, circumstances presented themselves.

Hi,

Brynner was married at this time to Virginia Gilmore, although that's never stopped anyone from 'dallying'......

Joan was single then and marlene was married but she doesn't seem to have given her husband a second thought.

I've heard that Yul bedded everybody and anybody, if you get my drift. It was probably just a sport to him. Love em & leave em!!

Larry

Gina L on Letterman years ago talked about an incident where Yul had a hidden camera under his costume in a scene where she stood before him, I dunnno, topless or in a skimpy outfit. Anyway, she thought he was an odd kind of guy.

Jeez, what an interesting, if a tad sordid, thread! Just came across an interview in the Sunday paper with Rock Brynner, Yul's son, who's written a book, "Empire and Odyssey: The Brynners in Far East Russia and Beyond" about several generations of Brynners, from Russia to Broadway to Hollywood and he mentions that one of the family traits over time "besides emotional and physical courage,"..."there is also a certain carelessness about women. Boris Bryner ? it was his son Yul who added the extra n to the surname ? left his wife and children to marry an actress. [Rock] even reprints the Dear Johanna letter that Boris wrote to his stunned wife.

Yul Brynner also had a certain propensity to abandon women. As his son says, "My father always left, was never left. And none of the women he left ever remarried."

Jeepers, I guess they might as well have joined the convent.

Here's a link to the rest of the interview online with Rock Brynner--it's interesting for what it says about Yul's life and career, not just his amatory adventures:

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/arts/content/entertainment/arts_entertainment/epaper/2006/06/04/a1j_brynner_0604.html

• 3 weeks later...