Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Any Suggestions for a "cozy mystery?"

Guest Simmons, Ken

Guest Walker, ken

Here are a few for your consideration;"Seven Keys to Baldplate"with Phillip Terry;"Night Monster" with Ralph Morgan; "Charlie Chan at the Opera" with Boris Karloff.;and any of the Thin Man movies.

Guest walker, ken

mongo, The "The Uninvited" is another movie that sends shivers up ones spine.I've mentioned it in other posts because of its atmospheric photography.Its almost,but not quite,in the same league with "The Innocents" as far as "ghost stories"go.

Guest son, jery

You can't go wrong with two of my favorites: "The Spiral Staircase" (1947) and "And Then There Were None...", from l943 or l944. Both of them take place in sinister old houses and all kinds of scary things happen to them. An added plus, both are in gorgeous black and white, which to me, is always perfect for a "cozy" experience. Also, any of the Universal horror classics, especially "The Invisible Man" and "The Mummy." Scary but magnificent films.

Guest son, jery

"Night must fall" is one of the few chillers I've never seen. Weren't there several versions of this one? I believe Albert Finney was in one but before that, John Dahl was also in one.

Guest walker, ken

I'm speaking of the 1937 original with Robert Montgomery and Rosiland Russell and directed by Richard Thorpe.Montgomery departed from the type of character he usually played and did a creditable job.There was a remake with Albert Finney in the Montgomery role.I have not seen this one.

Guest Griffith, David

You could watch "Beast Must Die" (1974). It's a twist on the conventional "whodunnit" story; the twist is that someone murdered a guy, but that someone was a werewolf. That's right, a human who turns into a werewolf at the stroke of midnight on a full moon night. The object is to figure out which of the 10 or 12 suspects in the large, haunted house-looking mansion is the werewolf and thus the murderer. I don't remember the names of the actors, but one of the lead actors is a black man. Another mystery that I highly recommend is not a "whodunnit", but, rather, a gripping psychological thriller that borders on the horror. It's about a relationship between a young handsome man and a painted portrait of himself. The title is "The Picture of Dorian Gray" (1945); it is an excellent and near-faithful adaptation of the 1891 novel of the same title by Oscar Wilde. Two of the leads are Angela Lansbury and Peter Lawford. It is essentially a black-and-white film (it was originally filmed that way), but in two different places it shows quick cut-away shots of the portrait itself in stunning Technicolor. The story will give you the chills, for sure, and maybe even give you a bad dream!!! I had a little trouble going to sleep the night I watched it. It is that good!!! By the way, don't rent the 1973 version, it stinks!!!!!

Guest walker, ken

David, Great choice with "The Picture of Dorian Gray".Hurd Hatfield played Gray.The portrait aged,but Gray remained eternally young.I saw the movie in a theatre in 1946.The ending was truly a shock!The ensemble cast was great.George Sanders played an art dealer or critic[i think]. Haven't seen the remake

• 2 months later...