Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Colorful Noir

pandorainmay

Having recently viewed Vincente Minnelli's "Some Came Running" and Richard Fleischer's "Violent Saturday", I realized that the directors, setting their stories in a specific locale, (Minnelli in Indiana, Fleischer in Arizona), used the cinemascope technology and vivid, almost lurid colors of '50s cinematography to highlight the turmoil of emotions that the characters experienced.

In a thematic way, these stories fit the noir tradition, except that the color element has been added. Has anyone else seen noirish films in color or do you have a comment about these 2 films?

• 6 months later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Falling in the color noir pantheon, I would include "Slightly Scarlet" with Rhonda Fleming and Arlene Dahl, as shot by noir cinematographer genius, John Alton.

"Some Came Running" is a very good adaption of a work by James Jones. I liked some of the background info they have shown on this film on TCM, about the townspeople, et cetera.

• 1 year later...