Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
mr6666

taxi/Uber drivers safe?

Uber, no stranger to controversy over the safety of its service, is coming under renewed scrutiny in the light of the deadly shootings in Kalamazoo, Michigan.

Uber, a private Internet ride-hailing service has raised more than $10 billion in venture capital and is widely viewed as the world's most valuable startup. Its handling of the crisis and ability to make passengers feel safe could have a greater impact on the company's future than its many battles with government regulators.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/uber-driver-screening-kalamazoo-shooting/

http://www.whosdrivingyou.org/rideshare-incidents

Uber, no stranger to controversy over the safety of its service, is coming under renewed scrutiny in the light of the deadly shootings in Kalamazoo, Michigan.

Uber, a private Internet ride-hailing service has raised more than $10 billion in venture capital and is widely viewed as the world's most valuable startup. Its handling of the crisis and ability to make passengers feel safe could have a greater impact on the company's future than its many battles with government regulators.

Uber drivers safe?     What a silly response to one incidence.    Sounds like something Trump would say;  when that Mexican illegal immigrant killed that young women in CA,   Trump painted all Mexican illegal immigrants with the same brush.

I was at a car dealership a few weeks ago and guy sitting next to me was given paperwork for his new car.  I congratulated him and he replied that he was an Uber driver and put 50,000 miles on his cars every year.  

Uber drivers safe?     What a silly response to one incidence.    Sounds like something Trump would say;  when that Mexican illegal immigrant killed that young women in CA,   Trump painted all Mexican illegal immigrants with the same brush.

http://www.whosdrivingyou.org/rideshare-incidents

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/making-sense/what-its-really-like-to-be-an-uber-driver/

http://www.businessinsider.com/i-drove-for-uber-for-a-week-heres-what-its-really-like-2015-2

just wondering if anyone here had experience ( or feelings) about using the service?

:unsure:

just wondering if anyone here had experience ( or feelings) about using the service?

:unsure:

I have used the service about 5 times and it was fine;  e.g. the driver was professional.

A women friend used the service and the guy made some 'odd' sexually related comments (not directly hitting on her but still very unprofessional and creepy).    We tried to convince her to call Uber so this driver would no longer be allowed to drive for them but she didn't wish to (one reason is the guy picked her up at her home so he knows where she lives).

I have used taxis and while most drivers are professional I have had a creep or two as well.

• Like 1

Uber is getting a worse reputation than craigslist as far as safety goes. I haven't used uber, but I did try to purchase a truck off of craigslist - that turned creepy and disolved. 

As many times as I've been sexually harassed by taxi drivers, I think you've got the wrong title for this thread.

To me the real issue or concern here is if Uber drivers are more likely to be creeps (e.g. sexually harass),  their customers then taxi drivers. 

My assumption here is NO;  Uber drivers are not any more likely to be creeps.    Overtime there might be some actual data to determine this.    

The creepy uber drivers are getting more media attention than their cabbie counterparts. If you pursue it, you will find many more creepy cabbie stories - just Google 'creepy taxi drivers'.

"When Uber got into a big fight with New York Mayor Bill de Blasio, Republican candidates for president leaped to Uber's defense. Jeb Bush, Marco Rubio, and Rand Paul have all praised the company. Ted Cruz has even compared himself to Uber.

Meanwhile, Democratic frontrunner Hillary Clinton recently warned that the "on-demand, or so-called 'gig economy'" is "raising hard questions about workplace protections" — not an explicit reference to Uber but an allusion to a class of companies of which Uber is the largest and most prominent....."

http://www.vox.com/2015/7/24/9026455/republicans-love-uber

• Like 1

The Associated Press has an article on this.  Basically, nobody knows because nobody, including law enforcement, keeps relevant statistics.

Apparently Austin Texas does have some comparison of allegations for Uber, Lyft and taxi drivers.  

HOWEVER, the number of hours driven, number of passengers, number of trips, miles driven, etc. would have to be factored in somehow.

As I said earlier I was talking with an individual who said he was an Uber driver and drove 50,000 per year.  He did not say he drove all of it for Uber.  Wonder how many "part-time" Uber/Lyft/Etc. drivers are actually full-time.

The Associated Press has an article on this.  Basically, nobody knows because nobody, including law enforcement, keeps relevant statistics.

Apparently Austin Texas does have some comparison of allegations for Uber, Lyft and taxi drivers.  

HOWEVER, the number of hours driven, number of passengers, number of trips, miles driven, etc. would have to be factored in somehow.

As I said earlier I was talking with an individual who said he was an Uber driver and drove 50,000 per year.  He did not say he drove all of it for Uber.  Wonder how many "part-time" Uber/Lyft/Etc. drivers are actually full-time.

Did you ask this Uber driver if he felt his driving was a good job,  with reasonable pay?   I ask because 50K is a lot of mileage on one's car.    Also,  most states are now requiring the driver have upgraded car insurance to ensure the passengers are covered beyond the minimum liability standard.    Factor in having to pay for your own gas and the few Uber drivers I talked to said the job was a total rip off.     I believe the split is 40% for the driver and the rest for Uber.   

Did you ask this Uber driver if he felt his driving was a good job,  with reasonable pay?   I ask because 50K is a lot of mileage on one's car.    Also,  most states are now requiring the driver have upgraded car insurance to ensure the passengers are covered beyond the minimum liability standard.    Factor in having to pay for your own gas and the few Uber drivers I talked to said the job was a total rip off.     I believe the split is 40% for the driver and the rest for Uber.   

Didn't really discuss it as he just volunteered it and I did not want to get too nosy.

I think as time moves on, there will be more laws to protect the public, just as there were with taxis and other services.  The Republicans will balk, but they will eventually pass them.

The fact is, every law or regulation was passed because someone did something to harm someone else.  It's the pitfall of human nature.

"....the car-service technology has come to represent a breakthrough against regulations and against organized worker rights.

And with this in mind, when a presidential candidate like Kasich says he wants “Uberize the federal government,” it’s worth asking what in the world such a model might look like.

The New York Times’ Paul Krugman’s answer rings true.
Bear in mind that the federal government is best thought of as a giant insurance company with an army. Nondefense spending is dominated by Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid, and a few smaller social-insurance programs (now including the subsidies in the Affordable Care Act.) How, exactly, is an Uber-like model supposed to do anything to make that work better?

And don’t say it would remove the vast armies of bureaucrats. Administrative costs for those federal programs are actually quite low compared with the private sector, mainly because they’re not trying to deny coverage and don’t engage in competitive advertising.

If Kasich means anything, he means “privatize”, not Uberize – convert Social Security into a giant 401(k) plan, replace Medicare with vouchers. But that wouldn’t poll very well, would it?"

• Like 2

Yeah, the APP.

Well, I've been convinced, just by looking around me, that there IS some sort of "mind control" when it comes to the smartphone market and the general population anyway, so maybe there IS some merit in this excuse!  B)

Sepiatone

"....the car-service technology has come to represent a breakthrough against regulations and against organized worker rights.

And with this in mind, when a presidential candidate like Kasich says he wants “Uberize the federal government,” it’s worth asking what in the world such a model might look like.

The New York Times’ Paul Krugman’s answer rings true.
Bear in mind that the federal government is best thought of as a giant insurance company with an army. Nondefense spending is dominated by Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid, and a few smaller social-insurance programs (now including the subsidies in the Affordable Care Act.) How, exactly, is an Uber-like model supposed to do anything to make that work better?

And don’t say it would remove the vast armies of bureaucrats. Administrative costs for those federal programs are actually quite low compared with the private sector, mainly because they’re not trying to deny coverage and don’t engage in competitive advertising.

If Kasich means anything, he means “privatize”, not Uberize – convert Social Security into a giant 401(k) plan, replace Medicare with vouchers. But that wouldn’t poll very well, would it?"

Uber drivers are independent contractor and therefore pay their own Social Security,  must purchase their own health care,  must self fund and administer their own retirement plans (e.g. 401K),  don't participate in state disability programs,  workers compensation etc....

If this was applied to government workers (at all levels of government),  the direct cost to government for said workers would be greatly reduced.

Of course like with Uber drivers that have to pay for those services their overall income after paying for these is greatly reduced as well.

Uber drivers are independent contractor and therefore pay their own Social Security,  must purchase their own health care,  must self fund and administer their own retirement plans (e.g. 401K),  don't participate in state disability programs,  workers compensation etc....

If this was applied to government workers (at all levels of government),  the direct cost to government for said workers would be greatly reduced.

Of course like with Uber drivers that have to pay for those services their overall income after paying for these is greatly reduced as well.

This [employment] model has been in use for quite some time in certain fields of business. Since the mid-80s at least, many parts departments within automotive dealerships long ago replaced their company employed delivery drivers with self-employed freelance drivers. The main difference being these drivers are contracted for an agreed upon term of service which puts them 'on call' at a moments notice during the normal operation hours of that business (i.e. 8 AM - 5 PM Mon -Fri). During the agreed upon hours, they are not free to provide their services to others. 

re-formatted

This [employment] model has been in use for quite some time in certain fields of business - since the mid-80s at least. Many parts departments within automotive dealerships long ago replaced their company employed delivery drivers with self-employed freelance drivers. The main difference being these drivers are contracted for an agreed upon term of service which puts them 'on call' at a moments notice during the normal operation hours of that business (i.e. 8 AM - 5 PM Mon -Fri). During the agreed upon hours, they are not free to provide their services to others. 

Yes, independent contracts have been used for a long time but only a small percentage of the work force qualify as independent contractors due to strict IRS requirements.    UPS tried to make all of their drivers ICs but lost in court.   i.e. many companies have tried to fire employees and make them ICs but lost in court.     

Truck Drivers driving goods from the Ports of L.A. and Long Beach recently won their case against trucking companies and were awarded millions.   Many will now be employees instead of ICs.     The class action Uber driver lawsuit against Uber will be telling and if Uber wins it will be a major change to the so called employee \ employer relationship.      

e.g. why couldn't a restaurant lease tables to IC waiters paying them on a per table, per night basis instead of hiring them as employees,  therefore avoiding all of the taxes and benefits the government requires the restaurant to pay today?     If Uber wins corporation lawyers will be looking in that direction. 

Back to the thread title------

I guess NOT!

Just read in this morning's Detroit Free Press that two men, both UBER drivers, have been arrested and charged in two sexual assaults in East Lansing, MI  back in Janruary and February.

Damn!  Go back to taking the CAB!  At least the only time I've heard of a cab driver SHOOTING anybody was when a cabbie shot a guy that was trying to ROB him.  And the only SEXUAL ASSAULTS by a cabbie I can think of is what some of them CHARGE ya!  :D

Sepiatone

Back to the thread title------

I guess NOT!

Just read in this morning's Detroit Free Press that two men, both UBER drivers, have been arrested and charged in two sexual assaults in East Lansing, MI  back in Janruary and February.

Damn!  Go back to taking the CAB!  At least the only time I've heard of a cab driver SHOOTING anybody was when a cabbie shot a guy that was trying to ROB him.  And the only SEXUAL ASSAULTS by a cabbie I can think of is what some of them CHARGE ya!  :D

Sepiatone

An Uber driver was just attested her in the O.C. (CA) yesterday for sexual assault.    Like Taxi drivers Uber drivers customers are often drunk and that was the case here.    The driver picked up two gals and dropped them off but gave them a card and told them to call the card instead of using their Uber app.    Big Red flag there.    After the gals were done bar hopping they called the driver and asked to be taken to a motel.   Of course there is no excuse for this scumbag but customers need to report drivers that display red-flags.

I don't see what Uber as a company can do to prevent this type of thing from happening if the candidate for driver doesn't have a documented history of sexual assault or other crimes.

Also,  I wonder if Uber will assign the same driver for drop off and pick up?   Does assigning the same driver increase the risk?  

Uber and Lyft halt service in Austin, Texas, after voters embrace background-check rules...

"Under the rules, drivers must undergo fingerprint-based background checks by Feb. 1, 2017. Uber and Lyft prefer name-based checks. The city's ordinance also prohibits drivers from stopping in traffic lanes for passenger drop-offs and pickups, requires "trade dress" to identify vehicles for hire and imposes a variety of data reporting requirements.

In Iowa on Monday, Gov. Terry Branstad signed a bill into law that creates new statewide rules for ride-hailing companies to do business there. The law establishes a regulatory system that will require liability insurance for vehicles, add name-based background checks for drivers and change licensing expectations. State regulators would also have the authority to ensure compliance...."

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-tn-uber-lyft-suspension-austin-20160509-snap-story.html

• Like 2