• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Your thoughts on Hollywood's beauties?

msladysoul

Women who were called the most beautiful in their day were

Olive Thomas

Bebe Daniels

Barbara LaMarr - called the "Too Beautiful Girl." Sorry, Never seen It. I guess she fit that era of beauty but not today standarads.

Olive Borden - the most beautiful of the silent era

Greta Garbo

Anita Page

Nina Mae McKinney

Dolores del Rio

Frances Dee

Ethel Moses

Francine Everett

Linda Darnell

Hedy Lamarr

Gene Tierney

Ava Gardner

See...there were more then one!

The beauties I feel were left out and not remembered as most beautiful except by fans are....

Fay Wray

Myrna Loy

Frances Gifford

Ann Sothern sure had a face

Joan Blondell - she was such a beauty. The All American Girl Type of Beauty - Blonde, Big Blues Eyes, Big Smile.

Nancy Carroll

Dorothy Lamour

Dorothy Van Engle

Kathryn Grayson

Claudette Colbert - why isn't she considered a beauty. She has a perfect face.

Madge Evans - she was the perfect classic beauty

What is your definition of beauty?

Mine is rarity. A face that hasn't been seen. A face no one can duplicate. A beauty that is alluring and mysterious. A beauty that isn't threatening by showing you her inner beauty and beauty in talent. A beauty who doesn't look as though she cares about beauty but carries it so beautifully.

Seriously folks Linda Darnell, Dolores del Rio, Gene Tierney, Dorothy Lamour, Kathryn Grayson, or Hedy Lamarr as most beautiful? This is hard. Before you answer look at various photos of them on the net and don't be partial or let Hollywood's brainwashing answer for you.

Linda Darnell, Dolores del Rio, Dorothy Lamour, Gene Tierney would give Garbo, Ava Gardner, and Hedy Lamarr a run for their money anyday. Hedy to me was a gorgeous lady but sometimes she looked drunk instead of sexy. To me, it seems she tried to hard to look sexy and beautiful. I never found her the most beautiful and obviously others neither because how many actresses have they called the most beautiful? I never seen any inner beauty or beauty in talent in Hedy. I guess she felt if we look at her face that's talent enough. She never moved me. Linda Darnell's beauty was versatile it wasn't the same as Hedy was all the time. Hedy was just a face, people spend more time talking about her face then her talent, because she didn't have any and that's why she wasn't a big star. Beauty can't get you to be a great actress. I like a lady who has beauty but acts as though that's the least thing on her mind and tries to make the audience see her beauty in talent, heart, mind and soul like Linda, Dorothy and Delores. Hedy lost her beauty quick while Dolores del Rio stayed beautiful till the end. Hedy was built up as the most beautiful woman on screen, that was her title, for publicity/attention, if MGM had called another star "the most beautiful" you all would be buying that. Hedy wasn't a blonde but she sure seemed dumb to me when I saw her on TV like she couldn't comprehend on What's My Line. I guess I don't fall for Ava Gardner or Hedy Lamarr as most beautiful because I guess I've heard it all my life and when I've seen others as more beautiful, I doubt them being the most beautiful. Barbara Lamarr called the Too Beautiful Girl, I like to see her up close because I don't see how she's too beautiful and I don't see how Olive Thomas was the most beautiful woman in the world. I guess anyone could have that title.

Garbo, she was an alluring beauty, but yes in her early days she was considered a ugly duckling so she's the perfect example of going from ugly duckling to beautiful swan...it can be done. Hedy went from beautiful swan to well old before her time. Even her own son said she had so much plastic surgery she looked like Frankenstein later in life.

Now, Myrna Loy was a beauty. In her early days when she played ethnic characters, mulattoes, half-breeds it was always interesting because she was white all the way, no race mixtures in her but she sure pulled those roles off. Her beauty was versatile too but because she was known as the perfect wife, she didn't get a chance to show her beauty through seductress, sex kitten type roles.

Kathryn Grayson was once called the most beautiful woman in Hollywood but because she was an operatic singer and a girl next door type. She didn't get a chance to be a sex symbol which makes you a beauty.

Frances Dee was called the most beautiful woman on screen. Now she's gorgeous but she's pretty at best to me.

Vivien Leigh - the most beautiful? How?

It's sad but true all these beautiful women ended up old and alone with failed relationships. If half of them would have worked on the beauty within maybe they wouldn't have ended up with no good men. Beauty can't keep a man after it's get familiar and real you starts to show.

Since some of you chose to be partial and chose only white actresses as beauties and leave out the Blacks because in your opinion their not as beautiful. I guess I'll have to give the Black beauties their due who could compete with the white beauties.

The true dark beauties are....

Nina Mae McKinney - who was also called the most beautiful woman of her era

Ethel Moses - called the most beautiful woman on stage.

Dorothy Van Engle

Francine Everett

Margot Webb

Mildred Washington

Lena Horne

Catherine Zeta - Jones is the only beauty in Hollywood today in my opinion. She always reminded me of a 40's beauty. She resembles a Linda Darnell and Frances Gifford.

We all have two eyes, a nose, and a mouth so how do we all differ so much? How did all these beauties differ so much when they all shared the same features?

What different types of beauty are there? Soft, hard, wild, innocent.... There's more then one. Classic Hollywood proved that. I suppose at one time most of all the attractive actresses were called most beautiful.I don't think we all would ever agree on one beauty being the most beautiful. But I know we all will agree that they all had a face! Really, I think all the beauties were the most beautiful. Why? Because there's only one of them.

Gene Tierney Beauty is quite unique those day. Linda Darnell was beautiful but could be a little chubby sometime . Hedy Lamar face was perfect but lifeless like mannequin . Ava Gardner was and Lana Turner also beautiful

"Claudette Colbert - why isn't she considered a beauty. She has a perfect face."

Claudette Colbert is a favorite of mine, but remember she didn't think she had a perfect face. She insisted on never being shot from her right side. Frank Capra's Name of the Above Title goes into detail with stories (perhaps apocryphal) of rebuilding sets in reverse just so she could be photographed at the correct angle.

I was wowed by Claudette Colbert. She played Cleopatra for goodness sake's the most beautiful woman in the world obviously she most have been thought of as the most beautiful in Hollywood at the time to get that part. Claudette in the early years was at her most beautiful.

She didn't think she was beautiful? Well, who does really? That's being humble and modest!

Claudette always looked like the least thing on her mind was beauty but she carried beauty naturally. I guess if you want to be a great actress, you gotta forget looking beautiful.

Excellent post!

Beauty is such an interesting concept. To a large degree it's subjective, yet human beings obviously find a lot of agreement (along with the disagreement) about who is and who is not beautiful.

> We all have two eyes, a nose, and a mouth so how do

> we all differ so much?

So babies can pick their parents out in a crowd? There must be some biological payoff related to survival.

> Garbo, she was an alluring beauty, but yes in her

> early days she was considered a ugly duckling so

> she's the perfect example of going from ugly duckling

> to beautiful swan...it can be done. Hedy went from

> beautiful swan to well old before her time. Even her

> own son said she had so much plastic surgery she

> looked like Frankenstein later in life.

I see Garbo and Hedy as opposites in the sense that Garbo on the surface was pretty, not beautiful, while Hedy was definitely beautiful, not just pretty. However, turn on the cameras and everything changes. Garbo has an inner vitality and warmth that makes her the most attractive woman you could ever imagine. Hedy, while still gorgeous, seems stiff, a bit cold, and self-conscious by comparison. Lovely to look at, but not quite real. Hedy has the advantage going in of an almost perfectly symmetrical face with evenly distributed features, though it's not just about geometry. Acting is about inhabiting a role and convincing the audience there's a real person inside. Garbo was able to make the maximum use of what nature gave her. Nature gave Hedy more, but she wasn't able to do as much with it.

Hepburn and Loy are examples (in my mind) of strikingly good-looking women who became beautiful because of their acting abilities and innate personalities.

DavidE

http://www.classicfilmpreview.com

Wonder post David. I have to agree that many women became more attractive as I watched them more. Their talent, personality, charm contributed to their becoming more attractive then when I first saw them.

I have another question, you have, cute, pretty, attractive, gorgeous, beautiful. Well, who would fit into those categories? Is there a difference? I think all women at different times in their life have looked cute, pretty, attractive, gorgeous, and beautiful.

> I have another question, you have, cute, pretty,

> attractive, gorgeous, beautiful. Well, who would fit

> into those categories?

Based strictly on looks:

Cute -- Joan Blondell

Pretty -- Fay Wray

Attractive -- Grace Kelly

Gorgeous -- Rita Hayworth

Beautiful -- Hedy Lamar

Most would probably not rank these five women quite that way. That's why this is highly subjective, though I assume most would agree all five would be considered good looking, not ugly.

> all women at different times in their life have

> looked cute, pretty, attractive, gorgeous, and

> beautiful.

And for actresses -- at different times in the same movie. There may be moments in Footlight Parade where I think Blondell is one of the most appealing women in the world (she gets extra points for having spunk). Or there may be moments in Camille where I think Garbo is only moderately attractive. It works that way in real life, too. Isn't every bride supposed to be beautiful?

DavidE

http://www.classicfilmpreview.com

Cute - Marjorie White

Pretty - Maureen O'Sullivan

Attractive - Frances Farmer

Gorgeous - Nancy Carroll, Mary Nolan

Beautiful - Francine Everett, Linda Darnell, Dorothy Van Engle, Billie Dove

Billie Dove in the silent, early talkie era was called the most beautiful in Hollywood. I've looked at photos of her and she was compared to the other "average looking made beautiful actresses." She was quite perfect.

What about Kay Francis? She had a rare unique face.

Some said Gail Russell was as beautiful as Hedy and Elizabeth Taylor but she was pretty at best to me. Should I find her beauty in other films or photos?

Thanks for pointing me to that website, GM.

I will now have to do some serious research into this thing called "beauty". I know it will be hard work but I think I am equal to the task. I am always willing to make sacrifices for a noble cause.

It's not as if I was in search of the Holy Grail or anything, but I'll take what I can get...

[Finally, a job with benefits!]

My pleasure, wordmaster!

Well, I know most everyone says Hedy couldn't act, but she was accepted into Max Rheinhardt's Dramatic School in Berlin. He was so impressed with her that he personally handled her dramatic education in his school, and that ain't HAY! Also, it has been said that she was never a big star! A-hem! It has been documented in several books, and by several of Hollywood notables that she was a SUPERSTAR. The fact that she is talked about over and over on these threads is sufficient proof, to me, that that ain't HAY either!

I loved the part in her "autobiography," Ecstasy, where she is quoted as saying,

"The first important actresses I met were Joan Crawford and Joan Bennett. It was at the Turf Club of Santa Anita racetrack. Joan Crawford was to be named the actress who acted most like a star. Joan Bennett had the greatest dignity. She was from a highly regarded theatrical family. And, I was to be called Hollywood's Most Beautiful Star. At the advice of Reginald Owen, I dressed to the teeth. I wore an expensive Chinchilla coat and an eleven carat diamond ring. I was just starting out, but I held my own with them!"

It would be comforting to the rest of us women to be able to say "What's the difference, as long as they could act (or at least capture our attention)?" but, of course, beauty was one of their jobs, and we all have our favorites in that respect as well.

But standards do change. Most of the young women onscreen today look rather plain, or in some cases even grotesque, to me. My concepts of the "beautiful actress" were set in childhood I suppose, and I don't think they have changed much.

I always thought that Dorothy Dandridge was the most beautiful woman I had ever seen and I still do. My second favorite would be Louise Brooks. I also liked the Linda Darnell type (Wanda Hendrix and Brenda Marshall too). I agree about Hedy LaMarr - very pretty but rather wooden. I think Lucille Ball was quite lovely, and she was even better in color. Elizabeth Taylor gets pretty close to perfection as far as face, and Marilyn Monroe was very beautiful, and the most luminous onscreen. Since my favorite actresses are the two Hepburns, I would say that I find each of them very beautiful in their own way, and at every age.

I want to contribute here without overthinking, so my response will set aside the concepts of 'inner' and 'outer' beauty. I don't have enough experience/information to make assessments that would combine both aspects of this elusive quality.

Based on the little I have seen from various websites, here are some actresses that, for me, "take a good picture" on a more or less consistent basis:

May Allison

Geraldine Fitzgerald

Dorothy Dandridge

Nancy Kwan

Nancy Kwan, in particular, struck me as being even more beautiful in her later years.

That was you, me and feaito over in Seen Any Good Movies Lately! We were raving about Sternberg's directiing, photgraphing, and the handling of Dietrich. Then, feaito brought up Shanghai Gesture and Gene!

Plus, she has appeared on many people's lists of favorites, beatuies, and brunettes!

Hmmm, I always thought beauty was something rare. A face you never seen. I've seen women who resemble Dorothy Dandridge and Lena Horne in their time and so I never found them the most beautiful. But since their the only Black actresses of Golden Era people know, I'm not surprised their picked as most beautiful. But I don't like to give them all the credit. I got into some real deep research of Black actresses of the screen, not particularly the Hollywood screen. Hilda Simms would make Dandridge look average at best. Hilda was regarded as a fine actress but never made it big because people said she looked too white. Francine Everett's face was perfect. Maybe the world could have seen that if her husband at the time Rex Ingram wouldn't have made her turn down a contract offer from Fox. So she became a race film movie star. Dorothy Van Engle was a true dark beauty. She starred in many Oscar Micheaux film. You don't see anyone who looks like her. Ethel Moses, another Micheaux actress, was close to perfect. She was called the most beautiful woman on the American stage. She was called The Black Jean Harlow. There's a resemblance but Ethel looks better.

A photo of Hilda Simms is on this page.

http://www.angelfire.com/jazz/ninamaemckinney/UnsungBlackActresses.html

I would never call anyone the most beautiful because others could be too but everyone has a title, right? When you think you've seen beauty, another comes and shock you. I don't think you can word beauty, it's not for wording, it's for looking and you know it when you see it.

Many of the photos in the link you provided are pretty distorted, so I've just looked up Hilda Simms in Google Images. She certainly was a beautiful woman.

You are right, our opinions in such matters are formed based on what we can see, and I was not able to see any of these actresses when I was young. One of our local NYC cable stations has shown several Michaux films recently, which I was very glad to be able to see, having only heard about them for years.

I'm not much given to hero(ine) worship, and I did qualify my first posting by saying that there is more to a good actress than looks, but that being thought beautiful is generally a part of their job description. Having said that - I still don't think I'll ever get over my childhood girlish 'crush' on Dandridge. I never thought of her as anything but "an actress," as glamorous as all the others, only moreso.

"Vivien Leigh - the most beautiful? How?"

I don't think that she was "the most beautiful,"but she was very beautiful.I think that she was just as beautiful as some of the women you mentioned as being your favorites.