Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

anyone see July lineup

anonymous124

that "edge of outside" series is great...we're getting John Cassavettes with "Faces" and "A Woman Under the Influence", underrated Stanely Kubrick and Nick Ray, Peckinpah's "Pat Garett and Billy the Kid"

and look at this lineup here - I can hardly believe it, this is great, even for TCM -

July 26 -

8 pm - Bonnie and Clyde

10 pm The Conversation

12 pm Nashville

2:45 pm Raging Bull

oy- 4 of the 50 or so best movies ever made in a row! you might want to record this. youll need two tapes though cause Nashville is such a long movie (although watching it, doesn't seem that long)

for this, I can forgive them for showing "Honey, I shrunk the kids"...

Nashville always seemed like the longest movie ever made to me. Because so many people love it, I keep trying it again and again; but I have no appreciation for it. It just seems ponderous. I'm hopeless.

However, I think Raging Bull is a masterpiece and it thrills me that TCM will be playing it...

Could you also forgive them for July 27th's showing of "Clarence the Crossed Eye Lion" "Flipper" and "Flipper's New Adventure?

Now wait just a minute!

I am of an age that has fond memories of these films as they were staples of Saturday Children's Matinees in my hometown - along with Maya, Gentle Giant and Robinson Crusoe on Mars.

I am willing to bet there may be a few parents who will look forward to sharing these relics ... er, "classics", with their kids this summer.

Kyle In Hollywood

Could you also forgive them for July 27th's showing of "Clarence the Crossed Eye Lion" "Flipper" and "Flipper's New Adventure?>>

Yeah, I can. They're family films and I don't begrudge families being able to sit down and watch TCM together. I think families watching TCM together might actually help young people develop an interest in and respect for films that were made many years ago and not just in the last five years.

Why are so many posters on this board so adverse to TCM showing films for families?

Thanks, lzcutter and Kyle in Hollywood! Someone had trashed showing Clarence in the War Films Forum (strange location, to be sure) a while back, and I seemed to be the only one to defend it, despite my adversity to TCM showing post-1960 movies. I think it's interesting to go back and watch old movies that I enjoyed as a kid. And I still enjoy family films, even though I have no kids.

I wasn't offended, just curious why nobody offered a different view on that other thread. And I'd have to agree on Zombie. If he chooses movies like he performs "music", may the Lord help us all. Alice Cooper as host, maybe, but Zombie?

:-) Okay, I've seen many "edited by" notes in messages and had no idea how they did that. Now I finally see the little icon beside the reply button on my past messages. My brain works reeeeaaaaaalllllly slowly these days. Now if I say something that creates worldwide mayhem, I can change it. Cool.

TooManyNotes,

No offense taken. Didn't mean to sound as harsh to you as it sounds reading it in retrospect.

As for Rob Zombie, I'm going to reserve judgement until they release a real viewing schedule.

It would be easy to jump in and complain about him showing excessively gory films.

But isn't "TCM Underground" supposed to highlight horror films from the 40s-60s and some of the early horror films of leading directors today?

If that really is the intent of the program, then I think it could be very fun, rewarding and with some films, downright scary.