Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

A short question about Judy Garland and June 9th

FranciscaW

Hi everyone, I'm Francisca and I'm new to the message board. I've been watching TCM religiously for about a year now, so I figured now would be a good time to join the message board community.

Also, I would like to express my extreme joy and happiness that TCM is commemorating Judy Garland's birthday by consecutively showing a good handful of her fine films on Friday (though I did wish they would show more of her rare earlier films like "Everybody Sing" or the Mickey Rooney colab ones, rather than "Meet Me In St. Louis" and "The Harvey Girls" every 3 weeks). My question is: why are these being shown on June 9th rather than on the 10th, her actual birthdate? Or is this not a commemoration at all but a mere wonderful coincidence?

I also would like to share that I was quite pleasantly surprised that "Ziegfeld Girl" is scheduled for August, being that I suggested it about 2 months ago. It made me feel so important :P.

All in all, thank you TCM; college would not be the same w/o my daily dose of grade-A classic movies.

Hi Francisca -

Why is TCM saluting Judy Garland on Friday, June 9th?

Well, I would guess that it was the best solution to big scheduling problems if it would be presented on Saturday. Saturdays are full of weekly showcases in the morning hours that have to be filled (Darkness After Dawn/Lone Star Cinema/Cartoon Alley) with appropriate films that couldn't come from the Judy Garland catalogue. And, as you know, Ben Mankiewicz is the afternoon host on the weekends and I don't thinnk he really wants to host a Garland Birthday tribute. (Nor does TCM usually offer Garland-style films on the weekend afternoons. The weekend afternoons are pretty much filled with "guy" films, as I call them, since Ben Mankiewicz became the weekend host.)

But, obviously TCM wanted make note of her birthday - just a day early. I hope you are through with finals and such and can make a day of it catching all the films of the birthday tribute. And don't forget Presenting Lily Mars on June 14th

Kyle In Hollywood

• 2 weeks later...

Francesca,

I wondered the same thing and in fact started a thread. I noticed at the end of MEET ME IN ST. LOUIS that the listing of the next three movies they usually show wasn't shown. I wanted to see if the voiceover mentioned that it was the eve of Judy's birthday.

Thanks, Kyle, for offering your insight as to why they showed the movies a day early.

BTW, I don't really care for THE HARVEY GIRLS either (Judy and John Hodiak had zero chemistry, IMO), but I do watch the first 30 minutes because I love the way they staged the big number On the Atchison, Topeka, and the Santa Fe.

BLU