Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

POST YOUR VOTE: Vote for the Return of the TCM Challenge Holiday Schedule

Here (with links) are the schedules that your fellow posters put together for the Return of the TCM Challenge- Holiday Style.

Now is the time to vote for the schedule that you best think embodies the goals of the Challenge.

A lot of thought, preparation and work went into each schedule and I am hoping that all of you will take a few minutes to study each schedule and post your vote.

The winner of this Challenge will become the Host of the next Challenge. (It really is a good prize, I swear).

For those who don't feel comfortable, posting their vote on this thread, you can send me an email via this Board. I am a private message user and my mailbox is cleaned out so no one's message should bounce.

The voting ends at Midnight (PST) on Monday, June 12th (just as Sunday turns into Monday).

The tallies will be posted and the winner crowned a week from now on Monday, June 12th.

So, give them a big hand, take a look and post your vote!

Path40a's schedule -

http://forums.tcm.com/jive/tcm/message.jspa?messageID=7795003#7795003

Bogie's schedule -

http://forums.tcm.com/jive/tcm/message.jspa?messageID=7795608#7795608

MattHelm's schedule -

http://forums.tcm.com/jive/tcm/message.jspa?messageID=7796881#7796881

filmlover's schedule -

http://forums.tcm.com/jive/tcm/message.jspa?messageID=7797121#7797121

hlywdkjk's schedule -

http://forums.tcm.com/jive/tcm/message.jspa?messageID=7799000#7799000

tracey65k's schedule -

http://forums.tcm.com/jive/tcm/message.jspa?messageID=7801095#7801095

Message was edited by:

lzcutter

Filmlover is so right: these are all great and I've looked them over and over trying to choose.

I'm a legal secretary, so I do enjoy courtroom movies - tracey65K's "Legal Action" night sounds good.

The concept of "Debuts/Closing Acts" by path40a is also a clever one.

In addition, I always like to see the character actors get their due, and I very much like the idea of programming devoted to them, as in tracey65k's "Happy Birthday Alan Hale," filmlover's Lorre & Greenstreet night, and especially the now obscure Mauch Twins (I think it is Mauch, not 'Lauch') grouping proposed by hlywdkjk.

Hmmm.... although I certainly think there should be much more Peter Lorre on TCM, I guess my final choice in this selection would be path40a's "Debuts/Closing Acts," which opens up lots of programming possibilities.

On the other hand . . . . . . .

Thanks allie. I actually did think of throwing Magoo's version in because "a little razzleberry dressing would be nice" with the Christmas ham and turkey. But that would have meant another premiere. The Magoo DVD is part of my annual tradition, and if TCM can play Japanese Anime, then they can show an American icon like Mr. Magoo, since his version of A Christmas Carol was a theatrical release, as well as a worthy adaptation.

Hi, Bogie,

Thank you so much for your vote. It is an honor. I am still knocked out by your own schedule. You had never done one before but suddenly, out of the blue, there it was. And I know that I and everyone (as you know by the compliments you got about it) were amazed and delighted by such cleverness in it.

Thank you again so much for your vote.

Filmlover

Absolutely my pleasure filmlover, and thank you also for the kind words. It was fun participating and reading the schedules of others. I only wish there were more, but then again I always say if someone doesn't have something to offer, they shouldn't force something just for the sake of presentation. That said, everyone's programming schedule struck me as inspired. And I'm not speaking for myself of course.

Bogie

Hello,

After the first programming challenge I commented, "in my opinion, scheduling a week was a mechanical exercise". True, only because I built on a good idea for a theme.

Second shot at programming. Having only a vague idea for a theme (and not wanting to repeat myself, or other contributors), I discovered just how darn difficult it becomes to program a week. I ran out of time...aww.

So, to 'first time' contributors--congratulations on completing a difficult task. To second time contributors--I am very impressed by your completion of another week of programming!

Thanks lzcutter for providing links to the six schedules. I 'looked back' three times at each schedule before I decided on a vote.

My first look at each schedule was to 'tally' the number of movies I know I have not seen. I was immediately impressed by the number of entries that included shorts and cartoons. Programming relevant short material is sophistication that takes this scheduling exercise to a higher level than I thought possible. All right!

I understand using a personal bit of criteria as "what movies I have not watched" ignores some things like "sticking to the TCM library", or thematic excellence. What the hey, it's my decision. My decision is--hlywdkjk's schedule.

Rusty

Message was edited by:

jarhfive

Congratulations to all who posted a schedule. It is obvious that a great deal of thought and time went into this process. The level of these schedules can be an imposing target to attain for those of us toying with the idea of getting in on the next one.

My thoughts were based on how likely it fit in the TCM schedule. How close was it to a real schedule. They are all very clever and interesting. Back and forth, picking which I liked a little better. Several visits to each list only made the decision harder.

So, since I can only vote for one I vote for MattHelm. It was really hard and each of you should be very proud of your work.

I will look forward to seeing your entry in the next challenge, movieman, and would love to have seen an entry from coffeedan (who'd said he'd been working on one), mongo, vallo, feaito, bollywood, and so many others who contribute their film knowledge to these boards.

My vote (in this challenge) goes to MattHelm.

I can't believe how hard it was in deciding which schedule to choose. Every single one of them was great. I would love to be able to vote for every one (including my own) and call it a six-way tie, but since I can only select one, I have to go with hlywdkjk. I stil lthink the use of films related to the thirteen colonies was sheer genius for July 4th, totally inspired.

I know I?ve already presented a programming schedule and have placed a vote, but I must say I didn?t realize this was going to be this exciting. The anticipation to see who?s going to take home the prize is running really high for me and I?m loving every minute of this. I hope others are inspired to chime in with votes, because the more the merrier, and certainly the more interesting this will be. I feel all who have received nods thus far are deserving of them. Given how much fun all this is I am really very surprised that just six schedules were submitted. Granted I realize that time and effort are a major factor, and people are probably so busy in their daily lives that the mere desire to compile a schedule is not enough. Well, there?s always next time.

Bogie

Incredibly well put, Bogie. And the voting is open to everyone on the message boards, so I hope others will like what they see and add their feelings about the challenge.

Amazingly, the first Challenge was started by path40a out of a frustration because a number of naysayers were complaining strongly about a few recent films that the TCM programmer included. (You would not believe how severely they criticized.) Path40a put the challenge to them: try programming just one week of what they wanted to see on TCM, rather than just complaining.

Surprisingly (or maybe not), the naysayers never took part, but several of us who are TCM fans thought it could be fun to do that. And I must also mention, at that time none of us thought of it as a competition. We were just posting one week's schedule out of fun.

It wasn't until a little later that the TCM programmer stated in the thread that he liked a number of the ideas and would use some in his programming.

But even then, it wasn't a competition. The voting was an afterthought by path40a and came as a surprise to each of us. One great thing that came out of it was that the TCMprogrammer gave each of us a TCM prize for participating. That is the sort of thing that really comes as a generous surprise and makes you feel good. And Kyle got the best prize of all, his "Pulp Fiction" idea from the first Challenge is becoming a reality on the schedule and will air on July 8th (I think that's the date. Kyle, correct the date if I am in error).

So, now here we are, finished the second Challenge and running smear campaigns on TV to get the vote (oh, wait, sorry, that is just our local political candidates).

I am glad you enjoyed it so much. I guess the next one will be "The Challenge Strikes Back."

Hey filmlover I think you're right about the 8th. When I took a look last time I believe that was the date indeed. I'm still not over that actually, what an incredible boon!

Anyway, you said:

"So, now here we are, finished the second Challenge and running smear campaigns on TV to get the vote (oh, wait, sorry, that is just our local political candidates)." :DHahaha! Ain't that the twooth!

And . . .

"I am glad you enjoyed it so much. I guess the next one will be 'The Challenge Strikes Back.' "

Seriously, all jokes aside, despite who wins, if the next challenge doesn't go by this title I'll be very, VERY disappointed! 'Nuff said. ;)

Bogie

Well, we're half way through the week and the polls are still open.

Remember you have until Sunday night to post your vote!

For those uncomfortable posting their vote publicly, feel free to private message me with your response.

The folks who participated in this challenge gave their schedules a great deal of time and thought.

The links to each schedule are in the very post of this thread so I'll hope you'll take a few minutes out of posting on other threads to give them each a review and some thought

Then, let's all show our appreciation by voting!

Gee, I've never done this before. Hope I don't make enemies, if I haven't done so already. ;-) First of all, I would love to see each of the schedules actually air. Really. It would take me six months to make an attempt at one of those. But it was a close battle between traceyk65 and filmlover for my first choice. Loved traceyk65's remakes, I've always wondered why TCM never did that. But filmlover's Lorre-Greenstreet day and pairing all the cartoons, shorts, and trailers with the corresponding films made that one my favorite. Good work, everyone.

Patful, what a great surprise! Thank you for your vote. And thank you for recognizing the shorts and cartoons. I really did try to create the best schedule I could ever do, and did a lot of research to find the shorts and cartoons that would fit in to the films shown. I tried so hard, put so much into it, I began to believe this was a real week, lol.

Thank you again!

You're quite welcome. As I was reading all the entries, all that kept going through my mind was: "I love classic movies, but I know nothing of film." The six of you are either brilliant, or brilliant imposters. Looking forward to the next challenge! I promise not to enter.

Looking forward to the next challenge! I promise not to enter.

Patful, please do enter the next one. I would love to see what you come up with. Keep one thing in mind, you are programming a week with what you want to see.

You mentioned earlier that you were thinking about Tracey's, too...well, this was Tracey's first time and she had doubts, too, but you can see how great her schedule turned out. It was also Bogie's first time, and it turned out wonderfully. As for the rest of us, we each only had one under our belts prior to this one. Believe me, I know scheduling an entire week appears daunting, but if you break it down into small pieces, you will say at the end that you wish that you had more days in the week to program every idea you came up with.

It's playtime for adults. Yes, it is work, hard work sometimes, but ultimately, you will surprise yourself and be pleased with the results. And have a greater appreciation of what the TCM programmer has to do every single week. I know we all do.

If you have ever thought, "I wish TCM would play ________," then you have the start of your schedule.

Looking forward to the next challenge! I promise not to enter.

Patful, please do enter the next one. I would love to see what you come up with. Keep one thing in mind, you are programming a week with what you want to see.

You mentioned earlier that you were thinking about Tracey's, too...well, this was Tracey's first time and she had doubts, too, but you can see how great her schedule turned out. It was also Bogie's first time, and it turned out wonderfully. As for the rest of us, we each only had one under our belts prior to this one. Believe me, I know scheduling an entire week appears daunting, but if you break it down into small pieces, you will say at the end that you wish that you had more days in the week to program every idea you came up with.

It's playtime for adults. Yes, it is work, hard work sometimes, but ultimately, you will surprise yourself and be pleased with the results. And have a greater appreciation of what the TCM programmer has to do every single week. I know we all do.

If you have ever thought, "I wish TCM would play ________," then you have the start of your schedule.

>>

Filmlover,

That is by far the best response I have read as to why folks should be in the challenge!

Hi, Lynn,

Thanks for reprinting what I said to Patful because it also applies to everyone who thinks, "I'd like to but I couldn't."

I happened to think of one more thing I wanted to add to my remarks to Patful, and to everyone...if you do one, you not only feel great about the accomplishment of having done it, but you have also given the rest of us the pleasure of seeing what only you could bring to it.

And I don't think there is anyone who has listed a week in this or the first challenge who doesn't feel in complete awe of what the others have accomplished. That's why I look forward to seeing what you and others can come up with next time. (I'd also like to add that I believe everyone here helps with information and encouragement. A better group of film fans you could never find.)

filmlover

To lzcutter, patful,etc, as I have previously noted, I am not entirely

certain what this "TCM Challenge" is?

But, as long as it keeps these forums going, it's marvelous-(P.S. I asked, for someone to drop me a line & let me know exactly what it is?)

Keep it up though

Hi, spencer,

I think the best way to describe what it is, is to say the first Challenge was started by path40a out of a frustration because a number of naysayers were complaining strongly about a few recent films that the TCM programmer included. Path40a put the challenge to them: try programming just one week of what they wanted to see on TCM, rather than just complaining. The naysayers didn't go for it, but some of the rest of us thought it would be fun to do it. A little while into the first Challenge, the TCM programmer stated in that thread that he liked the schedules we posted and would use some of the ideas in his programming.

Now we are in our second Challenge and each schedule is based around a theme suggested by the last winner, lzcutter, who said that this time around we would need to do a week involving a holiday. And the TCM programmer still looks in on it. So who knows, we may have more of our suggestions appearing on TCM at some point.

Hope this helps answer your question.