Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Earth overpopulation movie?

dimples

I wonder if any of you could help me with the name of this film. It is about the earth so crowded that open space is scarce and in the end of the film a family or couple is given this acre of land, to run, walk, and they are holding hands and going in circles at the freedom, it has a chain link fence holding back all the other extras in the film, they are all crowded pressing up next to the fence with the look of desperation and envious for the people in the free space. Any suggestion would be helpful or at least a start. I just would like to see the film again so I can figure out what the rest of the film was about! Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Dimples,

I posted your query on the forum for the Imaginative Cinema Society (http://www.icsfilm.net). The answer came back in a matter of hours.

The movie you're looking for is ZPG. It's a 1972 made-for-TV movie with Oliver Reed and Geraldine Chaplin. You might want to check it out, for further details, on the IMDB.

Thanks for the reply, I checked out the ICS web page and it was enjoyable, I wish there was a group a little closer to where I live. I hope the movie will be on TMC or any other movie site to view soon. I found a copy of the film ZPG on ebay and they wanted $40.00 for a VHS copy, they also said the film was out of print. If any one finds out when it will be showing on any TV channel, I would appreciate an e-mail sent to me, sjett54@cox.net.

Hi, I don't think the film in question is ZPG (unless the ending of that film ...which I haven't seen by the way...is so identical to the film in question).

I believe that the movie is a made for tv movie that was done in '67 or '68 (around the same time of 'The Name of the Games' sci fi episode. In the movie the earth is so overpopulated that scenes of people have them literally shoved together. The government has a contest every year in which the winner is given something like an acre or 5 from what is left of the last national park in the country (I want to say it is yellowstone) but to win you have to cross this junked out wasteland to get to the finish line and killing is allowed. That movie ended with the camera tight in on the couple and their two children and as it pulls back you see them in a field with flowers and green and the camera continues to pull back and over a tall fence with barbed wire on top and people pressed shoulder to shoulder front to back up against the fence.

I haven't seen ZPG, and was not sure the film was the film in question. The description you gave had a little more detail than the one I wrote. Thanks for adding some more pieces to the puzzle. I just hope someone will remember the name of the film and maybe we could get it shown again. Thanks.