Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Anthony Mann

jdb1

I got to see only the first 20 minutes or so of Mann's "T-Men" last night (the first time I've seen it), but boy, was I impressed. Every shot was like a work of art. It's amazing that so much thought and effort was put into shooting what is essentially a not very compelling piece of propaganda for the Treasury Dept.

Right from the very beginning - the stark black & white contrasts, the long shots of a lone figure in shadow against a background of deserted industrial buildings; and then that first shot of the office of the Treasury Agents, at an unusual and interesting angle, and with two figures framed and reflected in large windows. Wonderful. I'm sorry I didn't get to see the rest of it.

Have any of you looked at the written information on Mann and his movies that was on the TCM homepage yesterday? Very well written and very useful. I hope I'm able to catch the rest of the broadcasts. Thanks, TCM!

Mann was one of the best ever! His style help pioneer the film noir movement just as much as anyone else.

You should have stayed up late last night.

T-MEN, RAW DEAL, BORDER INCIDENT(which is another Mann masterpiece), RAILROADED! & TWO O'CLOCK COURAGE were all on last night.

I was elated to stay up until 3:45am last night.

All (5) are amazing films.

It's too bad that most of his reputation rides on the Jimmy Stewart pictures, mostly westerns, though they were generally very good pictures. As has been pointed out his work goes well beyond those films and are done very well. It's good to see some of his other fims for a change.

Chances are you wouldn't have had the opportunity to see Anthony Mann's face. He was a director that came into prominence in the 1940's, Only last night TCM showed his movie Railroaded!. Though he made a number of film noir movies, he's probably better known for Wincester '73, The Glenn Miller Story and El Cid from the 1950's and early 1960's...

Hi inglis. You weren't being dumb but sometimes I guess we take it for granted that anyone might know who we're talking about. None of the three of us prior to your post alluded to him being a director. There's a lot of variety in his work and if you like Jimmy Stewart their films should keep you happily entertained for a long time.

Yes, "Border Incident" was a revelation...inside the semi-documentary envelope was a really good story. Howard Da Silva was a suitably creepy villain, even more than Raymond Burr in "Raw Deal", I thought.

uh, "Two O'Clock Courage"...not what I was expecting but I enjoyed Ann Rutherford, whom I had never seen before. An early viewing of [bette]Jane Greer was also of interest.

Fortunately, I only had to stay up until 12:45 to see all five of them. Maybe next Tuesday will be an early night...

I liked ?Border Incident? a lot. Very good creepy border-noir.

There are murders and deaths like this going on all the time out here in the West. Also, US federal agents get murdered too. It?s a very dangerous and bad situation out here, especially in the Southern parts of Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, and California.

A couple of months ago, a young Mexican hoodlum, wanted for murder in the US, shot an killed a county deputy in Albuquerque. The killer fled to Juarez Mexico, down near El Paso. The Albuquerque police and the county sheriff?s office sent bulletins to the Mexican police in Juarez. About two weeks later the Mexicans caught the killer in Juarez.

Well, there is a long complicated extradition process that US law enforcement agencies have to go through to get a killer back from Mexico, and they have to promise not to give him the death penalty.

In this case, the Albq PD and the local sheriff?s office had some of their Hispanic officers contact the Mexican officials in Juarez. Many of these American Hispanic cops speak English. Some were born in Mexico.

So what to do?

The Mexican police and courts in Juarez decided that they would let the killer out on a low ?bail?. That was on the news here in the US and everyone freaked out.

But, it turns out to have been a deal made between the Mexican PD and courts and the US Hispanic cops. The deal was, the courts would let the Albuquerque cops ?bail? out the killer and go off with him. So, the US cops, who were already in Juarez, all went to local bank teller machines and got out as much money as they could on their own personal credit cards. They raised about $4,000, and bailed the killer out, then drove him across the US border with the Ok of the Mexican and US border patrol. They got him back to Albuquerque with very little trouble or red tape. He is eligible for the death penalty.

Out here in the Southwest, we watch this type of stuff on our local news all the time. Like when the Texas Rangers induced the Mexican ?railroad killer? back into the US a few years ago, with the help of the Mexican authorities, and they arrested him on the US side.

Those border town bars in the ?Border Incident? film... they are all along the border. Young American guys get killed in and around them all the time. Never go down alone or without a substantial group of people with you.