• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
msladysoul

What stars disappointed you?

Hello All,

I was asked to respond to this thread and here are my views:

Movies are ?make believe? and nobody in them is or was who they were on screen. Everyone was playing a character. Of course you?re going to be disappointed to realize that Errol Flynn was not Robin Hood.

I?ve read very few books or articles about people I knew nor people I had seen on screen. Dirt sells; compassion and charity don?t.

Witness Irene Dunne and Loretta Young ? their charity work rarely got publicized, but Loretta?s one misstep sure was done to death??

People are only interested in filth and scandal and once it?s manufactured and written down by someone, it becomes truth.

And a lot of this stuff is manufactured. The National Inquirer et al employ people to make up anything and then once published, it?s gospel.

About Joan Crawford ? I knew her fairly well and she was always nice and kind and polite. She went out of her way to acknowledge and greet her fans.

I think she did spank her kids but I?ve heard that they were unruly brats. Christopher constantly ran away, so she tied him to the bed at night. Christina never listened and even the nuns found her difficult. Joan was a ?queen bee? and there can only be one in each hive, so Christina wasn?t it? Thus we have the over zealous, jealous fabrication of beatings substituted for spankings?

This is just my interpretation of the Crawford events but it is supported by others who knew what was what really???..

Ginger Rogers ? I never knew her, nor ran across her in my travels. But she had a mother who was nearly a constant companion, so if she was bedding all those men, then Mama was standing over top of them. Ginger did marry too many times and methinks that Mama was the problem.

Again, this is just my slant on the Ginger story?..

Betty Grable ? Never knew her either, but I?ve never heard a bad word about her. I did know Virginia Zanuck quite well and she was the wife of the head of 20th Century Fox, where Betty reigned as Queen for awhile. And Virginia was a Betty Grable devotee. I?ve never heard about Grable?s daughters grousing about their mother. I think she was a nice woman. Marilyn Monroe and Jane Russell seem to have liked her too??.

Lana Turner ? I knew her very well; I lived next door to her in Malibu for 3 years. 2 of those years, she was married to Fred May and the last she was fancy free but spent most of those days and nights either at work or with me and my other next door neighbour, George Chakiris. And neither of us went to bed with Lana. So when and where she was supposed to have bedded all these men, I don?t know. Of course I wasn?t with her for a lot of the early years and the later ones, so if she went in for the sexual Olympics at those times, I cannot say.

But, she too had a mother and a daughter around, so who knows???

Many stars had small and large entourages with them too, especially at the studios. And, there were always people coming and going on the lot and the sound stages, so sexual escapades weren?t easy, if at all.

I ran around all over MGM and Paramount and to a lesser degree 20th Century Fox and an even lesser degree Warner Bros.; so if a kid like me could snoop through every nook and crany, think what the legitimate workers were into and could see and report on if they wanted. And, I?ve never heard any dirt from the studio people, ever??.

Lastly, Fred ? you?d be surprised how many stars were just like Mr. Blanc and his wife ? kind, generous and hospitable. I?m glad you met them and can attest to what I?ve said about all of my acquaintances ? they were all very nice, genuine people!!

So, go to the movies and enjoy the performances and leave the false gossip to line the bird cages. Your parrot knows to **** on ****!!!!!

Regards,

Larry

I enjoyed your post. I want you to know I wasn't trying to judge anyone's sexual life or anything like that. I originally meant different personality types on screen and off and wishing some could have been more like their image or character.

I would like to see more books on classic stars with more good then tragedy, sex, drugs, and alcohol.

I, too, always thought how in the world could so-and-so have relations with so many people and do so many movies a year (which is hard, particularly learning all those lines, dances and songs) and eat and sleep in the process. But then it's none of my biz but writers try to make it a huge issue in their bio.

Hi,

I'm glad that you know that making movies is hard work.

Some people think it's sitting around eating bon bons and filming a 2 minute scene just off the top of your head and then going home.

But, like you say, it's sing and dancing and script lessons and the gruelling job of makeup and wardrobe, etc. It's damn boring really.

I don't know how someone like Bette Davis did it - making over 80 movies in her life.

She had endurance.....

Larry

Hi Larry, I totally agree with you. It seems to make some people feel better about their own sad selves to "tear down" stars in books and movies. It's even sadder when their own children do it,which is nothing but cashing in on their famous parents' name and stardom. Maybe their parents weren't perfect,but whose are,star or not? I read that scurrilous book by Christina Crawford(I notice that she didn't have a problem using the name,even after marriage,of the woman who supposedly so "traumatised" her) when it first came out,and I was sorry that I did. I've never read another book like that since then,I refuse to(the one by BD Hyman,the one by Bing Crosby's son,etc). Many people who knew Joan Crawford have said publicly,what you said-that Christina Crawford was a self-obssessed,insecure,rebellious brat,who wanted what her mother had,but didn't have what it took to acquire it-the talent,the work ethic,etc. Myrna Loy was one who said it. I've also noticed that all these children who write these "exposes",usually have at least one,if not more,siblings who totally refute their slander,AND they usually publish the tawdry books after the death of the famous parent,when the star can't defend themselves-if they would even stoop to address such tripe.

I'm not all starry-eyed about them,but I think it's sad sad sad that their talentless children have such inferiority complexes and such deviousness as to publish this tripe when the parents are dead,and to act as if THEY,the children,are unique in having parents that aren't perfect. A lot of them sound like they need a big reality check and a resignation of the fact that their parents were stars,and everybody doesn't have what it takes to be one,and apparently this universal rule affects their special selves also.

I'm disappointed when I learn of the stars who sold their souls to HUAC, and I was disappointed when I learnt of Mel Gibson's bigotry towards homosexuals and of his Christian-fundamentalist beliefs.

In regards to actors of the past, it can be interferring when, for example, I learn of Robert Montgomery's boot-licking of fascist conservatives during the second (so-called) Red Scare, or of Spencer Tracy being too gutless to divorce his wife and marry his true love (since he couldn't provide his wife with a loving marriage, consequently, anyway), or of Gary Cooper pressuring Patricia Neal to abort her pregnancy from their sexual encounters solely for the purpose (reportedly) of preventing a child-out-of-wedlock scandal from ruining his career.

But with the stars of the bygone era it seems easier for me to forgive misgivings than it is with present-day stars. That said, it makes it even more enjoyable to appreciate stars when I learn of their attempts to better the world (e.g. Bette Davis' and John Garfield's efforts with the Hollywood Canteen; Bob Hope's efforts to entertain men in harm's way; Marlene Dietrich's "aus Anstand" efforts during WWII; Cary Grant's philanthropy; Angelina Jolie's volunteerism).

That's sad about the abortion thing. Weren't their protection back then to not get pregnant? I feel people should just accept consequences for their actions. Many classic stars would just pop down to Mexico for abortions like it was a vacation. I feel a baby is even living when in the womb so some may think that's murder but some felt careers were more important then babies and that's sadder. I can applaud Loretta Young for not aborting her child. There's plenty of protection today but people still are getting pregnant and they'll give birth to unwanted babies and they end up having a hard, unloving childhood. I rather someone give their child up for adoption then raising them when someone don't want them.

I don't know if Joan Crawford abused her children. I had an abusive relative as well and no one on the outside would believe it because the person was so charming, nice, well-dressed and intelligent but no one knows when it was just me and her in the home what happened. It was like Dr. Jekyll and Mr Hyde. I could never get anyone to believe me. People would believe her over me and just say I was overexaggerating that I didn't know the difference between abuse and discipline and that I was trying to get revenge for being discipline. There are a lot of children crying wolf and they make it hard for ones who really are getting abused.

I don't believe in someone writing a book on another after they die. But then who would admit "Yeah, I abused my kids?" I can relate to some children though who are abused that they want to let the public know in a way that a certain someone isn't so great and they want others to know their story of maybe a parent or classic star. I think Christina knew she would face scrutiny for her book.

On "Mysteries and Scandals" a lady who worked for the Crawford household backed Christina up on the matter. I read somewhere that Christina told Joan she was going to write a book and that's why she was left of the will. If Joan did abuse Christina, I don't think Joan jumped on Christina everyday, she was tooooo busy and Christina was away at schools but there could have been some instances. Some parents like to use I'm not perfect as an excuse rather then say they failed as a parent. I know all I wanted was an encouraging, decent, loving parent, I didn't have that much. Some parents take their problems, stress from the world out on the kid because a kid can't fight back. Since they can't have power and control in the world they overly abuse their power and control in the home. My parents would never have known that I had so much anger until I told them as an adult. Even to this day they really don't know why they did what they did to me. Some bad decisions can have an effect on a child for a lifetime. They just weren't children type of people but had children because it's a traditional thing - many do that though their not come out for the job. I feel people should sit down and study themselves before they have children to see if they'll be there for their children - heart, mind, body and soul. Sorry for being so long. But I hate the mistreatment of children.

Interesting reads from both Vecchiolarry and classicblackand white.

As I'm new here, I don't really know the 'players' here and their backgrounds. But it's interesting finding out.

classicB&W, I hope all is well in your life now.

Vecchiolarry, sounds like you've lived quite a life, and have a peak at the actors that most do not.

That's sad about the abortion thing. Weren't their protection back then to not get pregnant? I feel people should just accept consequences for their actions. Many classic stars would just pop down to Mexico for abortions like it was a vacation.>>

No protection is 100% fail proof, not then not now.

As for popping down to Mexico for abortions like it was a vacation, I am not sure who you are referring to but I will say this in defense of all who did have abortions, I doubt that any of them thought of it as a vacation. I doubt that it is an easy decision for any of the women to make especially back then. Given the techniques used and the often lasting scars that could complicate having children at a later date, it was not a decision made lightly.

If you still think it was, I suggest you read Polly Bergen's autobiography.

I was being sarcastic when I stated popping down to Mexico like a vacation but some women did it more then once so it was like a vacation making frequent trips to Mexico or where ever for abortion. You would think some would learn from their first mistakes. Some just didn't want to accept the consequences of their actions which I'm sure wasn't a hard decision to make to have intercourse. It's just sad sometimes that some felt their careers were more important then a living thing in their womb. There's women who can't have children so it's like a slap in the face when other women can have children but abort. Aborting a child can be on your conscience and haunt you as long as you live. Sometimes a few moments of bliss can cause a lifetime of problems and hell but no one is thinking about that when their having fun.

No protection is 100% but it never hurts to try to use it.