Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Ever Just Walked Out?

Thanks for teaching me a new word. Had never heard this one before.

loge
[lōZH]
NOUN
  1. a private box or enclosure in a theater.

The loge seating in the movie theatre (The Helix--such childhood memories!) was a bit plusher and cost a bit more.  Needless to say, my little friends and I never sat there, though we may have sneaked in now and then when an usher wasn't looking.

• Like 1

Dreyfuss is one of the few to ever win a Best Actor Oscar for a comic performance, which he did for that film. That role was right in his wheelhouse. His wheelhouse is very narrow.

You probably haven't seen Dreyfuss in The Apprenticeship of Duddy Kravitz (1974).  His best film IMHO and he's brilliant in it.

• Like 1

Dreyfuss is one of the few to ever win a Best Actor Oscar for a comic performance, which he did for that film. That role was right in his wheelhouse. His wheelhouse is very narrow.

Some comedy. I don't think I laughed once.

Terrible year for Oscars, I'd say. Very over-rated movie and very over-rated Dreyfuss performance.

If you're ever interested in seeing something really funny by Dreyfuss, I'd recommend 'Let It Ride' (1989) or 'What About Bob?' (1991). He was very amusing in both of those.

I like Richard Dreyfus, but not most of his movies.  He was good in Stakeout and Another Stakeout and of course American Graffitti.  He seems to have gotten Cheney down very well in W.

I also remember his scene in The Graduate, but did not recognize him until seeing it much later on TV.

I really can't say I'm a Dreyfuss fan at all, but I do recall him saying and (who knows if its true or not)that he initially turned down JAWS only to accept it after the premiere of DUDDY KRAVITZ, because he thought the movie was so bad, and he was so bad in it, that it was going to wreck his career and he was never going to get another offer again.

I like Richard Dreyfus, but not most of his movies.  He was good in Stakeout and Another Stakeout and of course American Graffitti.  He seems to have gotten Cheney down very well in W.

I also remember his scene in The Graduate, but did not recognize him until seeing it much later on TV.

I thought Dreyfuss was also very good as Danny DeVito's aluminum siding salesmen competitor/nemesis in Barry Levinson's seemingly under-appreciated 1987 film TIN MEN.

(...the second of Levinson's four so-called "Baltimore Films" which began with DINER)

I thought Dreyfuss was also very good as Danny DeVito's aluminum siding salesmen competitor/nemesis in Barry Levinson's seemingly under-appreciated 1987 film TIN MEN.

(...the second of Levinson's four so-called "Baltimore Films" which began with DINER)

How could I forget Tin Men - one of my favorite movies.  He and DeVito were fantastic in it.

• Like 1

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly about 2/3 of the way through.  It was too violent for me.  Most of those "Spaghetti Westerns" were like that and, to me, insults to the traditional Westerns.  In fact that was true of the German and Spanish ones too.They seemed to think it was all about shootouts and body counts rather than the morals behind the stories that made them a unique genre. 

My grandmother said she walked out of Shirley MacLaine's What a Way to Go.  I've not seen it so I can't comment.  My grandfather and I saw Bye Bye, Birdie together because Dick Van Dyke was in it; he wanted to leave halfway in but I begged to stay until the end and won.  I was never allowed to forget that.

I literally saw that again last night for he millionth time. I love it !

I walked out on two:

Some dumb Godzilla film around 2000 or so. This thing is 100 feet tall but, if can run around the corner and disappear haha ! And everybody has movie cameras for some dumb reason. They wouldn't show the monster, just a claw or a foot here and there. I had to go out and get air.

Dead Presidents (1995), Basically, I can't attempt to get a job, I must go commit crimes nonsense. I was just too stupid. I was rooting for the bad guy !

Mad Max Beyond the Thunderdome (1985)  Technically I didn't walk out since a) I was just a kid and B) it was a drive in. But, we took turns falling asleep during these loooooong boring speeches about the environment. After The Road Warrior, we thought there had to be some action somewhere ! So we stuck it out but, it was just a total waste of time. I haven't seen the new Mad Max thinking about that turkey.  

I walked out on...

Some dumb Godzilla film around 2000 or so. This thing is 100 feet tall but, if can run around the corner and disappear haha ! And everybody has movie cameras for some dumb reason. They wouldn't show the monster, just a claw or a foot here and there. I had to go out and get air.

OH yeah, Gerald! Wasn't that the Godzilla flick starring Matthew Broderick?

Now, I gotta admit I never saw it, but after watching Matthew presenting the TCM Screwball Comedies spotlight a few years ago, I DID kind'a come to the conclusion that Godzilla probably met his end in THAT one after Broderick bored him to death!

(...am I right?!)

• Like 1

I just saw Drago's and Boogie's posts about entering and leaving midway through films.  I can witness to that as well; when I went to a movie with my grandmother after it started the same thing happened.  I never got it either. 

That started ending in the sixties when the theaters began clearing out them out after each showing, especially with big films like Lawrence of Arabia. They also began scheduling the ones like that in afternoon and evenings.  When Gram found out we couldn't catch what we'd missed of LOA she started catching on.

• Like 1

That's the one where he tries to act like his idol, Spencer Tracy, even to the hat he wears.

I do love Levinson's Baltimore films. Big fan of his 'Homocide: Life on the Street' series which is also Baltimore.

• Like 1
  • 4 months later...

Slumdog Millionaire ... I made it through about 30 minutes, then walked out ... the only time I ever walked out of a movie.

Consider yourself lucky. The ending Bollywood music number did nothing for me.

Avatar.  Yes, I said it, and yes I did it, on first viewing.  Not so much for "awfulness"--although an eternally grumpy Sigourney Weaver having to live up to James Cameron's neurotically misogynist/misandrist view of "hard-azz" female characters made it one tough, tough slog.  Just so much for the fact that I was so conscious I was watching Disney's Pocahontas, and knew every plot point at least ten minutes ahead (every time the Evil White-Shame Army Guy kept calling the aliens "savages", Alan Menken songs would drill themselves into my head again), I just felt "Life's too short to stay for two and a half hours and watch movies you already know the end to."  Just two and I might have stayed.  Even though I looked up my guesses online, and found I was only slightly off, but not by much.

Or maybe I was just still a little impatient from walking out on the first Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs only a few months before, the first movie that taught us that "21 Jump Street" and "The Lego Movie"'s Phil Lord and Chris Miller are the most convincing arguments ever made in favor of Ritalin.

Before those, oh, must've been years that my morbid curiosity to see how a movie came out had ever been that powerfully overridden.  Have to go back almost thirty years to "The Pirate Movie".

As a child I hated Funny Face, the Astaire and Hepburn musical and I had the hutzpah to demand a refund from the ticket lady.  Many years later I found myself walking out on The Departed and I think The Wolf of Wall Street, something like that.

As a child I hated Funny Face, the Astaire and Hepburn musical and I had the hutzpah to demand a refund from the ticket lady.  Many years later I found myself walking out on The Departed and I think The Wolf of Wall Street, something like that.

Oh man.  I love Funny Face.  I hope you've given it another chance since then.

While I like Martin Scorsese and especially like his column in the TCM Now Playing Guide, I am not as big a fan of his films.  While I haven't seen all of them, I did like Goodfellas, I think because of the vintage element.  I get tired of films where every other word is the f-word. In my opinion, it detracts from the storytelling.  Granted, Goodfellas has a lot of profanity, but it had enough other interesting elements to keep my attention.  It seems his latest films set out to see how many f-words they can fit into one two hour film. 

I've never walked out on a film.  I'm very selective about which films I see, so I'm usually not disappointed.  If I have to go see a film with others that I don't particularly want to watch, then I am polite and quiet and watch the film.  Also, if I've paid for the film, then I'm going to stick it out until the bitter end.

The last movie I remember walking out on was ONCE UPON A TIME IN MEXICO.  Went to see it because I liked DESPERADOS, and I also like JOHNNY DEPP as an actor.  But halfway in I couldn't TAKE any more.

Any other movies I COULD have walked out on...well, I just didn't WAKE UP in time to.

Sepiatone

I literally saw that again last night for he millionth time. I love it !

I walked out on two:

Dead Presidents (1995), Basically, I can't attempt to get a job, I must go commit crimes nonsense. I was just too stupid. I was rooting for the bad guy !

Mad Max Beyond the Thunderdome (1985)  Technically I didn't walk out since a) I was just a kid and B) it was a drive in. But, we took turns falling asleep during these loooooong boring speeches about the environment. After The Road Warrior, we thought there had to be some action somewhere ! So we stuck it out but, it was just a total waste of time. I haven't seen the new Mad Max thinking about that turkey.  

The first madMax was the good one.

I never walked out of a movie but I wanted to walk out of Jingle All the Way. My oldest brother took me and my other brother thinking it would be a fun movie we would like. I couldn't drive so I was stuck. My brothers laughed so much during the movie and all I wanted to do was punch them. <_<