Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Cheaters

CCerini

Is there anyone out there that remembers, and would like TCM to air the 1945 Christmas movie "The Cheaters", with Joseph Schildkraut, Eugene Pallette, Billie Burke, Ruth Terry and others. I don't think this movie has been on TV for over 30 years.

It was my understanding that whoever controlled the rights to the movie, would not release it for TV, much like John Wayne's estate did with "The High and The Mighty". However, I now see that it is available on VCR, and would imagine that TCM can obtain the rights to show it.

I hope they do, because it is a true 1940's CLASSIC about a family that learns the true meaning of Christmas from a homeless unemployed actor. I can't help but believe that if it is aired, it will become a Holiday tradition. much like "Scrooge" and "It's a Wonderful Life".

Please join me in listing it under "Suggested Movies" to bring it to the attention of the TCM officials who can make it happen.

--Gus Cerini

I, too, know and love this movie and have begged TCM to air it. The last time I saw it on TV was well over 25 years ago. I ordered a VHS copy of The Cheaters from Movies Unlimited and the quality is awful. I would love to see a cleaned up copy of this gem. Yes, I will continue to pester TCM to show this movie.

THE CHEATERS is, and always has been, part of the Republic Pictures library - formerly controlled by NTA; now distributed by Paramount.>>

Probably lost in the vaults of Paramount and no one in Home Entertainment even knows that they have it.

• 8 months later...

Well, it's been nine months since I've been pestering TCM with requests to show "The Cheaters", and I note that others have also requested it be shown, all to no avail.

Does anyone have additional information on this film, other than, as lzcutter suggests, that it's lost in Paramount's vaults?

--Gus

• 1 year later...

For quite some time, as you can see from this two year old thread, and from the more recent but long running ?December Christmas Thread? (http://forums.tcm.com/jive/tcm/thread.jspa?messageID=8002521), I and many other TCM fans have been requesting a showing of the 1945 Christmas themed movie, ?The Cheaters? with Joseph Schildkraut, Eugene Pallette, Billie Burke, and others. Well, TCM has responded splendidly. They have managed to obtain the rights and will show it on Christmas Eve at 8:00 p.m and at 4:45 a.m. All of us owe them a huge THANK YOU.

It has to be over 30 years since this movie was last televised. I enjoyed it thoroughly when it was shown every Christmas, but I and many of you were very much younger. I hope we all enjoy it now as we did back then.

It would certainly be interesting to read viewers? comments after it airs.

---Gus Cerini

• 3 months later...

I want to remind everyone that TCM has obtained the rights to ?The Cheaters? and will show it on Christmas Eve at 8:00 p.m. and again on Christmas morning at 4:45 a.m. I think it?s at least 30 years since this movie has been shown on TV. I remember it as a delightful Christmas movie with Joseph Schildkraut doing a great job, and Eugene Pallette and Billie Burke performing in their own inimitable styles.

When you look back at the past, your memories have a bias, so I sincerely hope this movie is as pleasant to view now as it was when my wife and I watched it with two toddlers and a large mortgage. A considerably different situation than I have now.

If you watch it, please feedback your comments.

--Gus Cerini

*Hmmm ...I have a friend in the hospital this holiday...So I missed this film! The hospital only gets AMC.....I put a request into get TCM installed for visitors..LOL...Thanks for the heads up on this film..Never seen it...I will will have to tape it!*

I googled a search for you, and well, _The Cheaters_ (1945 is not on DVD. Rights are presumably held by Artisan. (The film is also sometimes known as _The Castaway_.), But it was on VHS, & now OOP!

*However.....*

*_The Cheaters_ (1945) will be on again on:*

*Wed. Dec. 24, 2008 6:00 PM*

*Thur. Dec. 25, 2008 2:45 AM*

*Both Times are (MT) Arizona Time. Check local listings!*

51FA0R0Y1GL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Thought-provoking dramedy follows the members of a rich family as they prepare for their Christmas celebrations. Taken by the spirit of giving, they decide to help out a struggling actor by giving him food and shelter for the holiday season. Quickly, they discover the consequences of their actions when their guest provides them with a fresh perspective on life. Joseph Schildkraut, Billie Burke, Eugene Pallette star. AKA: "The Castaway."

Can't wait to see this film!

cheaters-castaway.jpg

*_Per Wikipedia:_*

_The Cheaters_ (1945), also known as The Castaway, is a virtually unknown Christmas tale about a has-been actor invited to Christmas dinner by a rich family.

Stars: Joseph Schildkraut, Billie Burke, Ona Munson and Eugene Pallette.

Directed by: Joseph Kane

Not only haven't I seen this film, I had never heard of it and have have seen hundreds of films. I did like it very much. I've never seen Ona Munson in anything other than GWTW. I was very impressed by the print TCM ran. It looks looks like the film has undergone restoration. Also, the Republic logo seems to be from the 30's not the 40's and opening credits don't seem to me to be original, as if they were newly added.

It's really great that TCM was able to get the rights to it, and hopefully they'll also be able to show it around Christmas in years to come.

And I also agree the print shown (as well as that of *Cluny Brown* from Fox) were in very good condition, all things considered.

I do agree with RO that perhaps a more unique title would have better served this unique movie, I like one of the alternate possible titles he mentioned - *Mr. M. and the Pidgeons*. Still, a really great movie to watch on Christmas Eve.

21wn0p.jpg

Delightful...a real charmer from beginning to the end. But somehow I don't believe the film's ending in 2008 would have been as generous moneywise. It appears society today is much greedier and ready to sue over anything....Ona Munson was an interesting actress ..smart and uniquely attractive ,,,,forever Belle Watling no matter what role.