Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Please Translate CLOSE ENCOUNTERS To Me

Palmerin

Back in the 1970s HUMANIST was a very popular compliment, used so promiscuously that even Salvador Allende, a self-proclaimed communist, was praised as a Christian humanist.

Film critic Juan Gerard--as famous for his poor Spanish as for his pretentious language--said of CLOSE ENCOUNTERS that Truffaut was cast in it because of his humanist appearance, a comment that totally perplexed me. Having seen FT in the several movies where he directed himself, I guessed that what Gerard meant was that FT had a very kind gentle friendly face.

If that was not the case, what do you think JG really meant?

Spielberg wanted so badly to be taken seriously rather than just a "pop star" of directors, I think Truffaut was asked to be in CLOSE ENCOUNTERS purely for cachet. 

While I think CLOSE ENCOUNTERS is a pretty effective movie, it always saddens me to see Truffaut making those idiotic hand gestures in it.

Back in the 1970s HUMANIST was a very popular compliment, used so promiscuously that even Salvador Allende, a self-proclaimed communist, was praised as a Christian humanist.

Film critic Juan Gerard--as famous for his poor Spanish as for his pretentious language--said of CLOSE ENCOUNTERS that Truffaut was cast in it because of his humanist appearance, a comment that totally perplexed me. Having seen FT in the several movies where he directed himself, I guessed that what Gerard meant was that FT had a very kind gentle friendly face.

If that was not the case, what do you think JG really meant?

Perhaps he felt that FT looked like an atheist or someone who wouldn't believe in God but may believe in aliens.  Kinda like this guy ...

I-am-not-saying.jpg

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings