Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Bad Movies Festival

Jump_Raven

I know it is called Turner Classic Movies, but it would be funny if for one day or a couple days it became Turner Crappy Movies. Play classics like Plan 9 From Outer Space (1959), Hercules In New York (1970), Santa Claus Conquers The Martians (1964), The Beast Of Yucca Flats (1961), and because TCM has been trying to play a relatively recent movie here and there play Laserblast (1978), Psycho Cop Returns (1993), etc. It would be a funny change of pace and I am sure their are plenty of really bad movies that they could find in their catalog.

Good choice, of course you would have to play one of his movies then, maybe Hairspray (1988), Polyester (1981), or Serial Mom (1994). And of course who could forget **** (1998). Also, I forgot that one of the evenings would have to be totally dedicated to the films of Edward D. Wood Jr.

Yeah Hook (1991) is bad, but in a bad way. I mean the movies we are looking for are bad in a good way. You know, like the hilarity of watching Mac And Me (1988) and how tremendous a failure the movie was (not to mention the product placement, the fact that it was a major ET ripoff, and that they were absolutely convinced that there would be a sequel to such garbage). Or the joy I am sure I will get if they show John Wayne when he was Singin' Sandy. You know, the movies that give you a warm fuzzy feeling, like when a new Uwe Boll movie comes out.

Found a few more good candidates from TCM's favorite time period, the 1940s. White Pongo (1945), you can't beat a man in a gorilla suit. And Scared To Death (1947), it's Bela Lugosi for crying out loud. Also you have to do Reefer Madness (1936).

Thank you for mentioning "The Beast of Yucca Flats"! [a personal favourite of mine]

We can open up "the cheese shop" with a few more fragrant items, including:

Attack of the Giant Leeches

any film with George Zucco

The Killer Shrews

The Brain That Wouldn't Die

Swamp Women [featuring Marie Windsor [!], Beverly Garland and Touch [before he became Mike] Connors]

The Screaming Skull

Bloodlust [with Robert Reed]

any film directed/written by Coleman Francis

...and the list goes on and on.

The floor is open for suggestions as to an appropriate host for this cavalcade of mediocrity. >>

We programmed a Bad Movie Marathon when I was still in Film School a thousand years ago. The films I still remember to this day:

"The Terror of Tiny Town" a musical western starring midgets. Yes, you read that right.

"The Creeping Terror" a giant monster terrorizes a small community. (The giant monster looks remarkably like a giant roll of carpet. The soundtrack was lost by the Ryder Sound Services so the soundtrack was replaced with appropriate screams and hysterical voice over)

"The Crawling Eye" says it all but it's not what you expect.

"Bride of the Monster" another Ed Wood classic as I recall starring Tor Johnston and Bela Lugosi.

"The Horror of Party Beach" (the monster resembles the Creature from the Black Lagoon).

It was a great night of bad films. Terror of Tiny Town and the Creeping Terror are still my favorites all these years later.

I found a few more:

Teenagers From Outer Space (1959)

The Revenge Of The Teenage Vixens From Outer Space (1985)

Fire Maidens From Outer Space (1956)

The Wizard Of Mars (1965)

and because we need a bad silent movie in the festival, I haven't seen it but it sounds bad:

The Hound Of Silver Creek (1928), anyone else have a good bad silent movie?

Hello,

I would like to include some big budget bad movies. Sort of a sour "Million Dollar Movie". A few movies I have watched that fit my "big budget bad" criteria:

"The Ten Commandments" (1956)--I understand what Cecil B. DeMille was attempting with the "period" dialogue. Even watching the thing as a kid, I thought the character's stilted speech was ridiculous. Okay...most other elements of the movie are pretty good, except the odd casting of Edward G. Robinson as the Hebrew overseer "Dathan".

"Exorcist II: The Heretic"--my candidate for the worst movie ever made. John Boorman (director), Richard Burton, Louise Fletcher, Max von Sydow and a "Mixmaster" (for editing).

Another sequel--"Death Wish 3". The horror...the horror...

"Mac and Me" was mentioned as an "E.T." rip-off. Reminds me of the movie--"Gordy". Made the same year as the other pig movie--"Babe". I bet "Gordy" sat on the shelf, was dusted off and released after the success of "Babe". Bad...bad...

"The Bonfire of the Vanities"--how can such a good book be turned into such a boring movie?

BTW: If you missed the recent TCM broadcast of "Shadow Of A Woman" look for a future broadcast of the movie. It is sooo bad.

Rusty

I like those jarhfive, except for The Ten Commandments (1956), people actually like that movie and it really pails in comparison to awfulness of the other films that have been suggested. But that is just my opinion, I don't know what other people think.

Jump Raven,

Yeah...I thought about whether, or not, to include "The Ten Commandments" in my list of big budget bad. I watched the movie several times as a child and every viewing was a little bit more 'turned off' by the ludicrous dialogue. Oh well, so it goes...

Rusty

"The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra," which is only a few years old, ought to be included at the end of this festival. It's purposely bad and is a parody of just about every sci-fi movie named below. And it's really funny and very skillfully done.

So here is what we have so far:

Attack of the Giant Leeches (1959)

Attack Of The Killer Tomatos! (1978)

Beast Of Yucca Flats, The (1961)

Bloodlust! (1961)

Bonfire of the Vanities, The (1990)

Brain That Wouldn't Die, The (1962)

Bride of the Monster (1955)

Cat Women of the Moon (1953)

Crawling Eye, The (1958)

Creeping Terror, The (1964)

Death Wish 3 (1985)

Exorcist II: The Heretic (1977)

Hercules In New York (1970)

Horror of Party Beach, The (1964)

Hound Of Silver Creek, The (1928)

Killer Shrews, The (1959)

Laserblast (1978)

Mac and Me (1988)

Mars Needs Women (1967) (TV)

Miss V from Moscow (1942)

Plan 9 From Outer Space (1959)

Psycho Cop Returns (1993)

Queen Of Outer Space (1958)

Reefer Madness (1936)

Revenge Of The Teenage Vixens From Outer Space, The (1985)

Santa Claus Conquers The Martians (1964)

Scared To Death (1947)

Screaming Skull, The (1958)

Sextette (1978)

Showgirls (1995)

Swamp Women (1955)

Terror of Tiny Town, The (1938)

Valley of the Dolls (1967)

White Pongo (1945)

Wizard Of Mars, The (1965)

Zardoz (1974)

Directors that desire special time slots:

Russ Meyer

John Waters

Edward D. Wood Jr.

Roger Corman

George Zucco

Coleman Francis

And I would like to add a couple to the list:

The Incredibly Strange Creatures Who Stopped Living and Became Mixed-Up Zombies!!? (1964)

'Manos': The Hands of Fate (1966)

Any objections? Any additions?

!!Updated list!!

So here is what we have so far:

Attack of the Giant Leeches (1959)

Attack Of The Killer Tomatos! (1978)

Beast Of Yucca Flats, The (1961)

Bloodlust! (1961)

Bonfire of the Vanities, The (1990)

Brain That Wouldn't Die, The (1962)

Bride of the Monster (1955)

Cat Women of the Moon (1953)

Crawling Eye, The (1958)

Creeping Terror, The (1964)

Death Wish 3 (1985)

Exorcist II: The Heretic (1977)

Hercules In New York (1970)

Horror of Party Beach, The (1964)

Hound Of Silver Creek, The (1928)

Incredibly Strange Creatures Who Stopped Living and Became Mixed-Up Zombies!!?, The (1964)

Killer Shrews, The (1959)

Laserblast (1978)

Lost Skeleton of Cadavra, The (2001)

Mac and Me (1988)

'Manos': The Hands of Fate (1966)

Mars Needs Women (1967) (TV)

Miss V from Moscow (1942)

Plan 9 From Outer Space (1959)

Psycho Cop Returns (1993)

Queen Of Outer Space (1958)

Reefer Madness (1936)

Revenge Of The Teenage Vixens From Outer Space, The (1985)

Santa Claus Conquers The Martians (1964)

Scared To Death (1947)

Screaming Skull, The (1958)

Sextette (1978)

Showgirls (1995)

Swamp Women (1955)

Terror of Tiny Town, The (1938)

Valley of the Dolls (1967)

White Pongo (1945)

Wizard Of Mars, The (1965)

Zardoz (1974)

Directors that desire special time slots: