Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Gladys Cooper.....

vecchiolarry

Hello Everybody,

Let's remember Gladys Cooper.

British character actress, who gave well remembered, scene stealing performances in:

Rebecca; Song of Bernadette; Now, Voyager; My Fair Lady and Separate Tables.

Can you think of any others and what's your particular favourite? And why?

Larry

Love her--what an amazing job she does in Now Voyager--hateful and endearing at the same time... very real.

I caught a few minutes of a TV movie called An Unexpected Love, about a woman who tells her sternly disapproving mother that she has fallen for another woman. The actress who played the mother reminded me so much of Gladys in NV that I wondered if she was borrowing from the performance! I think the name of the actress is Elizabeth Franz, but I'm not certain.

Larry,

The superlative character actress Gladys Cooper is definately worthy of being remembered.

The 3 time Oscar nominee is a scene stealer in most of her films, especially in "Now, Voyager" as Davis' stern and selfish mother, ditto with Deborah Kerr in "Separate Tables", and my favorite as the doubting nun in "The Song of Bernadette".

Also good in "The Bishop's Wife", "Kitty Foyle", "The White Cliffs of Dover", "Love Letters", "Mrs. Parkington", "The Valley of Decision", "The Green Years", etc.

And not to forget her appearances on episodes of TVs "The Twilight Zone".

Indeed she was a treasure.

Good Morning! I remember her performances in "Kitty Foyle", "Mr. Lucky" and of course, as Mrs. Hamilton in "The Bishop's Wife" which TCM just aired. I love her in the scene where Dudley has played the song written for her, very touching. And eveyone's shocked reaction when witnessing her changed demeanor, priceless!

Gladys was always a delight but never more so than as Judy Garland's Aunt Inez in Minnelli's "The Pirate." That magnificent speaking voice that she had was a major asset plus she could effectively play comedy or drama.

One of those all purpose ladies like Lee Patrick or Mabel Albertson that could do it all but never upstaged the star.

Yes, Gladys Cooper was a gem.

Apparently, she was one of the few female co-stars that La Davis actually liked and respected when they performed together in "Now, Voyager."

Hello Everyone,

Thanks for answering my thread on the magnificent Gladys Cooper?.

Ayres ?

?Now, Voyager? ? was a great performance. She is so crabby, even up until her death.

Elizabeth Franz is an award winning Broadway actress; she was once married to Edward Binns. She is a friend of my friend, Joan Copeland; although I don?t know her, only of her. She must be in her 60?s now.

Mongo & Susan ?

I?d forgotten about ?The Bishop?s Wife? and ?Mrs. Parkington?.. What a change she renders as ?Mrs. Hamilton??..

Waldo ?

I?ve never seen ?The Pirate?; guess it?s about time?.

And yes, the wonderful Mabel Albertson --- ?Oh, I?ve got a sick headache!!!??..

What wonderful memories.

Larry

Larry, I read a biography several years ago about Gladys Cooper. I believe that it was written by her grandson, Sheridan Morley, although I could be wrong about that. It had many beautiful photos of Gladys when she was a young woman. Did you know that she was a photographer's model, kind of like a Gibson Girl, for postcards and such? She was very beautiful.

I love her in THE BISHOP'S WIFE, and SEPARATE TABLES, and, of course, MY FAIR LADY.

Sandy K

Hi Sandy & Ayres,

I think Sheridan Morley did write a book about her and yes, she was a favourite pin-up during WWI.

She was attractive even in old age. She wore her wrinkles well.

She looked better at 80 than most of these nip-tuck dollys today at 40.

She was real!!!

Larry

Thanks for the link to the photo of Gladys Cooper, Ayres. It is gorgeous. I agree with Larry--she was still beautiful as an older lady. I hate the fact that women in Hollywood are not allowed to age anymore. Joan Rivers looks ridiculous, IMO. However, Bo Derek and Kim Novak still looks beautiful.

Sandy K

Sandy,

I saw a picture in one of our newspapers of Joan Rivers last week. I thought that her mouth was one of those giant red lipstick candy novelties that you used to get at the circus - honest!!

Today, at lunch, my mother brought up the subject of that picture and said that she looked like a 'kewpie doll'. Her summation was "Her face is a tragedy!"....

Larry

Sandy,

I saw a picture in one of our newspapers of Joan Rivers last week. I thought that her mouth was one of those giant red lipstick candy novelties that you used to get at the circus - honest!!

Today, at lunch, my mother brought up the subject of that picture and said that she looked like a 'kewpie doll'. Her summation was "Her face is a tragedy!"....

Larry

I know, Larry--Joan Rivers doesn't even look real anymore. Honestly, I am not against anyone getting plastic surgery, I am just saddened that some women seem to think that they need to look like they're 25 or the next step is looking like a little old lady with white hair, a permanent wave and sensible shoes. There is beauty at every age.

Of course, that being said, I'm dismayed at all the gray that is taking over my once dark and lustrous hair nowadays! LOL! ;)

Sandy K

> I'm dismayed at all the gray that is taking over

> my once dark and lustrous hair nowadays! LOL! ;)

Don't despair. A streak of gray can be quite becoming: http://www.classicfilmpreview.com/images/bride_frank2.jpg.'>http://www.classicfilmpreview.com/images/bride_frank2.jpg.'>http://www.classicfilmpreview.com/images/bride_frank2.jpg.'>http://www.classicfilmpreview.com/images/bride_frank2.jpg. That's Dr. Henry F. on the right showing off the latest hair style he just created.

I'll always remember Gladys Cooper from a Twilight Zone episode. It's the one about an elderly woman who keeps getting strange phone calls.

DavidE

http://www.classicfilmpreview.com

Love Ms. Cooper, always a class act.

My favorite performance of hers that I don't think has been mentioned yet was in Forever and a Day (1943). *SPOILERS AHEAD*

She plays the mother of a soldier and her reaction when she discovers that he has died is one of the most heartbreaking things I've ever seen. So often, she played such cold and hard women (brilliantly of course), but here she will just break your heart. A wonderful and surprising performance.

"Could we try to remember that we are hardly commercial travelers! It's bad enough we have to associate with these tourists on board without having to go ashore with them! You have all the vigor of a typical American tourist! Charlotte, sit down and write something to someone! For the last three days you've been behaving like an excited servant girl!" Gladys Cooper, Now, Voyager

> A little gray never hurt anyone.....One person who

> definitely wears it well is the country singer,

> Emmylou Harris, Do you know who she is? if so, have

> you seen her lately?She looks great!

Yes, Emmylou Harris does wear her gray hair very well. However, mine is in that stage of not quite enough gray be striking, but just enough to dull the overall effect!

Sandy K

Yeah,Gladys was a gem in all the before mentioned films.She was cold as ice in Now,Voyager.I really enjoyed the scene in her bedroom,and from bed she needles the new and improved Charlotte about,"...turning your nose down at a pot of gold." She was a class act.