Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Kinston

Tribute to Judy Garland

June 9, 1922 was her birthday. She was a gifted actress and a great singer. She used many vaudeville routines in her movies and did them alongside such stars as Fred Astaire, Gene Kelly, to name a few. She was someone who enjoyed pleasing her audiences, and her fans loved it. Somewhere Over The Rainbow is her trademark in the movies. She always came across as a happy person in her character rolls, despite a rough life that she had off the screen until the day she died. Despite her situations in life these never stopped her from what she loved to do best- to sing. Large audiences would come to her performances and she filled every minute with one memorable song after another. In 1969 she had a tragic fall and died. She will always be remembered as Dorothy, from the Wizard of Oz, who made that long journey on the yellow brick road, and who earnestly desired to go home. She finally made it home, in our hearts. Thank you so much, Judy!

What a nice tribute to Miss Garland, Kinston! I just wanted to add one little change, and that is her birthday: June 10, 1922. For some reason TCM celebrated her birthday today, but tomorrow is the actual day.

Her talent was multi-faceted: a superb, strong actor; good dancer; and of course, one of the greatest singers of the 20th century. Aren't we lucky that movies have captured her talent for so many generations?

I hope TCM will play her early movies; there are many that I've never had the opportunity to see...

JackBurley:

"Listen Darling" (1938) July 4th; "Words and Music" (1948) August 24th (not an early film but sort of a rarity I think). Happiness abounds :)!

If you have the opportunity (or the money) you should check out her TV series "The Judy Garland Show" (1963) DVDs that are out. Great stuff from her later years that is almost not at all like her MGM work. I find that her television work was as fine as her film career.

She had some unbelievable guest stars... Judy Garland, Ethel Merman, and Barbara Streisand belting together--or just Judy Garland, Ethel Merman, and Barbara Streisand in the same room would be an event in itself. Craziness.

The woman was just all around amazingly talented.

-Francisca.

Thanks, Miss W! I have a TCM reminder set up for Listen Darling and now am just praying that I won't have to work that day. I've seen Words and Music a few times; Miss Garland is basically relegated to a guest spot in it. I'm most curious about her early work. It astounds me when that plaintiff adult voice emanates from this young girl. She was a miracle.

Are you familiar with her radio work? There are some amazing recordings of her in her tweens that are just unbelievable. It's still hard for me to wrap my mind around the whole little girl/mature voice thing when I listen to those. The MGM shorts that are here and there on her DVDs are also great...

I've heard some of her radio recordings ("Figaro", "Zing, Went the Strings of My Heart," etc.), and you're correct -- they great!

I have the shorts Bubbles, La Fiesta de Santa Barbara, Every Sunday and We Must Have Music on DVD, but I've never had to the opportunity to see her other shorts: Strictly G.I., If I Forget You, Hollywood Goes to Town, 1937's MGM Christmas Trailer, The Wedding of Jack and Jill, A Holiday in Storyland or The Big Revue. It's my quest to catch all of them (TCM, won't you help?).

Great post, Kinston. Reading your paragraph of tribute to the great Ms Garland has made me misty-eyed. Thank goodness we have her films to preserve her memory for the future. My two young grandsons, ages 6 and 4 have already fallen in love with "Dorothy". Yes, she certainly is close by even today...just Somewhere Over the Rainbow.

Thanks for your post.

I wanted to say how much of a fan that i was of the late ms.judy garland. I appreciate her more now that i work in show bizness..here in hollywood,calif. This is a tuff ,long grind and a very lonely field. I wish she could have found the nuturing support team that every dancer,singer,actress so needs in this town. She was an outstanding vocalist,actress and performer. I have many of her old lp's,viewed her films,documentaries and read many books that are out of print from the 1950"s. Thanks to the salvation army stores i frequented in orlando,fla..during the 1990's. My past b-day i was given an l.p.that she signed from the "ms.show business"album.it's even been authenticated. I wouldn't part with this l.p not even if her daughter miss liza minnelli begged me. I pray that oneday ms.garlands life will turn into a major musical on broadway..like that of the late burlesque queen..miss gypsy rose lee..even though broadway is fickle..these days..

"I pray that oneday ms.garlands life will turn into a major musical on broadway..."

We got close a couple of years ago with the appearance of the Judy Garland character in the nebbish musical biography of Peter Allen: The Boy From Oz. The role of Miss Garland, to me, was the most interesting part of the show...

Every Sunday is going to be broadcast on TCM on August 8, 2006 at 5:45am EST. This is the early MGM short that Miss Garland made with Deanna Durbin. It was considered somewhat of a "screen test" for the two lasses; after which, of course, Miss Durbin was released to Universal while Miss Garland languished in minor roles for the next few years until Dorothy Gale came blowing in on a twister... The short follows the classical v. popular singing formula that Judy would be involved with Miss Durbin, and later with Betty Jaynes.

[Further Oz tangent: Betty Jaynes was originally slated to play the Princess of Oz who would sing "classical" while Judy Garland sang "jazz". Thankfully, this idea never came to fruition.]

> Every Sunday is going to be broadcast on TCM

> on August 8, 2006 at 5:45am EST.

Yea! I like to think TCM Programmer is reading these boards, Jack! Wasn't it just last month that I asked you about that one? I was thrilled to see it listed in MGMWBRKO's thread.

> Almost exactly a month ago, Patful. Your wish is

> TCM's command! :)

That's me, a regular Programmer Jr., a bug in their ear, or more likely a mosquito. If they'd just show one more elusive film, I'll die a happy man. I finally saw "The Harvey Girls" in its entirety the other day. Judy was great, but other than her, Marjorie Main has to be my favorite singer of all time! I was really surprised they didn't dub her in that one, instead leaving her voice in for comedic effect (at least I hope that was the reason). Ray Bolger's dancing made up for listening to poor Marjorie's croaking.

> Every Sunday is going to be broadcast on TCM

> on August 8, 2006 at 5:45am EST. This is the early

> MGM short that Miss Garland made with Deanna Durbin.

> It was considered somewhat of a "screen test" for

> the two lasses; after which, of course, Miss Durbin

> was released to Universal while Miss Garland

> languished in minor roles for the next few years

> until Dorothy Gale came blowing in on a twister...

> The short follows the classical v. popular singing

> formula that Judy would be involved with Miss

> Durbin, and later with Betty Jaynes.

Actually, from what I've read on Deanna Durbin's career, the oft reported contention that EVERY SUNDAY was something of a screen test for Judy and Deanna is somewhat inaccurate, as Deanna was no longer under contract to MGM at the time the short was produced. She was actually released by MGM in June, 1936, and signed up almost immediately by Universal at the insistence of the studio's new casting director, Rufus LeMaire, who had come to Universal from MGM. Some sources indicate that LeMaire placed Deanna under personal contract to himself until he could negotiate a contract with another studio. In any case, Deanna's contract with Universal did contain a provision specifically prohibiting the studio from releasing her until she had appeared in at least one feature film.

EVERY SUNDAY, according to the material I've seen on it, wasn't shot until July, 1936. There is a blurb in the July 1st edition of the HOLLYWOOD REPORTER stating that "Universal is changing Edna Mae Durbin's name to 'Diana' (sic)." However, Deanna's MGM contract contained a provision which entitled the studio to call on her services for up to sixty days following the termination of her MGM contract, provided she was not working on another project for another studio. As filming for THREE SMART GIRLS was not ready to begin when Metro called Universal to request Deanna's services for the short, Deanna found herself back on the Metro lot filming EVERY SUNDAY with Judy.

This may explain, at least in part, why EVERY SUNDAY seems to be more slanted to favor Judy over Deanna in many sections (e.g., more lines of dialogue, an original song, etc.). It seems unlikely that MGM would give the same consideration to a performer under contract to a rival studio as they would one of their own contractees. Of course, Deanna's lack of experience before the camera compared to Judy's (and lack of performing experience in general) may also have been a factor, but she sure learned fast once she got over to Universal!

>

> [Further Oz tangent: Betty Jaynes was

> originally slated to play the Princess of Oz who

> would sing "classical" while Judy Garland sang

> "jazz". Thankfully, this idea never came to

> fruition.]

AMEN & HALLELUIAH TO THAT, BROTHER!!

(I think Kenny Baker was also considered to play the role of a singing Prince of Oz at one point. Not sure about that one, though.)

"Marjorie Main has to be my favorite singer of all time! I was really surprised they didn't dub her in that one, instead leaving her voice in for comedic effect (at least I hope that was the reason)."

That was a "character voice" if there ever was one. I think the public loved Ms. Main's persona so much, that her voice was just an endearing part of the package. You can also hear her singing -- in duet with Burt Lahr -- in Rose Marie; and of course, she has that short novelty song in The Women.

If anyone watched the Garland/Durbin short "Every Sunday" this morning, what's the significance of the large numbers in front of the bandstand? My curiosity will someday destroy me!

Hi Patful

The numbers are used to announce the number of the selection(s) being played by the Professor and his Orchestra during the park concert.

Hope this helps to prevent your impending demise from overwhelming curiosity.

Thanks, markus21, that was quick. I think I may survive! :-)

Glad to hear it, Patful. Every now and then, my existence seems to be justified. lol!

I watched "Easter Parade" on DVD the other day. It was the first time I'd seen it.

I really enjoyed it. I was surprised by how funny it was. I guess I had been expecting something more serious like "For me and my Gal" or "Meet Me in St. Louis," but the humor that ran through the silm was very refreshing.

The "couple of swells" number was very charming.

I liked Her In Wizard Of Oz and A Star Is Born

She could sing But I was never To Impressed With her Acting except in Those Two Movies!

For acting, you might want to also check out Judgement at Nuremburg, I Could Go on Singing, and The Clock. I think her acting skills matched her vocal skills...

I thought she was great in "A Child is Waiting", also. I sat through the whole movie expecting her to sing, since she was teaching music. She didn't have to.

I did see them but I wasn't impressed to much with her maybe because I didn't find her very convincing as an actress!