Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

MORE FOX CLASSICS UPCOMING

edgeciff

FOX has announced several classic films to be released on DVD over the next three months.

July: Three Studio Classics - THE BLACK SWAN which stars Tyrone Power and Maureen O'Hara, KEYS OF THE KINGDOM, stars Gregory Peck and lastly RIVER'S EDGE which stars Ray Milland and Debra Paget. Its puzzeling since there are so many FOX classics in their vault and in my opinion the latter film certainly does not classify as a Studio Classic. Where is BLOOD AND SAND and CAPTAIN FROM CASTILE?

August: Three Film Noirs - VICKI (a remake of I WAKE OF SCREAMING) starring Jeanne Crain and Jean Peter, FOURTEEN HOURS, stars Richard Basehard and Barbara Bel Geddes and SHOCK which stars Vincent Price and Lynn Bari.

September: JESSE JAMES stars Tyrone Power, Henry Fonda and Nancy Kelly; RETURN OF FRANK JAMES, co-stars Henry Fonda and Gene Tierney; LAUREL & HARDY COLLECTION Vol 2; A-HAUNTING WE WILL GO, THE BULLFIGHTERS and THE DANCING MASTERS.

Also rumored to be upcoming for FOX's Marquee Musicals series are THE BEST THINGS IN LIFE ARE FREE which stars Gordon MacRae, Sheree North and Dan Dailey and THE GANG'S ALL HERE starring Alice Faye and Carmen Miranda.

With FOX releasing so many westerns including YELLOW SKY which also starred Gregory Peck, its very strange a classic like THE GUNFIGHTER has not yet been released on DVD. I wonder if there are any legal problems holding up this film. Although not as good, GARDEN OF EVIL which starred Gary Cooper and Susan Hayward.is another western that deserves a DVD release.

Incidently two FOX film noirs have been held up from release due to some legal problems: BOOMERANG with Dana Andrews and THE BRASHER DOUBLOON with George Montgomery as Philip Marlowe.

"Keys to the Kingdom" will get my money. Like most studios, I guess, Fox has their own reasons for what gets released and when. I'm usually not in much of a hurry, but since "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn" was announced last year for a fall release and then pulled, "it's on the top of my want list. I do have a pretty good VHS copy that I transfered to DVD so that will hold me 'til it finally gets release. I know AMC has been showing it, but I will NEVER watch anything they show.

I have not seen The Keys of the Kingdom for years, so I am really looking forward to that film's release. With so many Gregory Peck titles released recently , I agree it is puzzling that the superb (and still under-rated) film The Gunfighter has not been released in a special edition.

How odd that Vicki is being released when I Wake Up Screaming was just released this past week. I wonder why they didn't put them together as a set?

"Also rumored to be upcoming for FOX's Marquee Musicals series are THE BEST THINGS IN LIFE ARE FREE which stars Gordon MacRae, Sheree North and Dan Dailey and THE GANG'S ALL HERE starring Alice Faye and Carmen Miranda."

I'm willing to get in a sleeping bag and camp out in front of Tower so that I can buy the first copy of The Gang's All Here.

It may be that THE GUNFIGHTER (a terrific film) is so darn short at 85 minutes that Fox may be looking for some extra content to put on the disc to make it more attractive to potential buyers.

Ironically, the same year (1950) Fox made another, very different, film with the same underlying story of an established "talent" threatened by an unscrupulous, young up-and-comer bent on taking the "talent's" place: ALL ABOUT EVE.

GARDEN OF EVIL is a FOX title that is slated for release in the near future. Also, FOX has announced the HEMINGWAY CLASSIC COLLECTION. Although no titles have been announced as yet, it is assumed that the box set will include SNOWS OF KILIMANJARO (now only available in a PD version), SUN ALSO RISES, UNDER MY SKIN (a rare John Garfield film) and possibly ADVENTURES OF A YOUNG MAN. Also, due sometime in 2007 is THE MICHAEL SHAYNE COLLECTION. Fox made a series of these films in the mid-40s which starred both Lloyd Nolan and Hugh Beaumont in the title role. Although not yet announced, I am still hoping to see a release of WITH A SONG IN MY HEART as a Marquee Musical. As an extra I would suggest FOX adding the excellent A&E bio on Susan Hayward.

I wonder who owns the rights to the Macomber Affair.Gregory Peck,Joan Bennett,and Robert Preston starred.From Hemingway,directed by Korda.It was very good.I especially Joan(surprise)even though her character was "not nice'.

Ken123, MACOMBER was released by UA. I wonder if this was a Walter Wanger production. Many of the Wanger films are now in the Turner library. However, this is a film that seems to have vanished from sight. I remember seeing MACOMBER AFFAIR on TV many years ago.