Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What happens when you let millennials pick the Best Picture

LsDoorMat

Yes, thanks for sharing I was actually really surprised I agreed with so many of them.

P.S. I watched 2011's The Artist last night and couldn't stop watching it, even when I realized it was a silent film, wife didn't want to watch but she got into it quite quickly too.  It is a really good movie.

Not sure why the thread is titled the way it is, considering the entire Academy votes for Best Picture, and that makes it skew away from a cohort influence.  

As for the article, I found myself disagreeing with most of their conclusions, mostly from my own perspective and biases.  From what I read, the author did the same thing. 

The thing to remember is....

The Academy NEVER gets input from "just plain folks".

Sure, maybe NETWORKwas the better film.  But not by much, really, and many people are disappointed in the winners every year. 

Some folks LIKE liver, others hate it. 

The article strikes me as somebody either ......trying to assuage their ego, or, justify their getting a paycheck.  Or simply and finally voicing a personal grievance

Sepiatone

Sure, maybe NETWORK was the better film. But not by much, really, and many people are disappointed in the winners every year.

I happen to think both Network and Rocky are outstanding films, and either one would have been a worthy Best Picture winner. Rocky also isn't particularly upbeat with its portrayal of Philadelphia, or its ultimate message.

A lot of the choices also seemed to repeat opinions that are de rigueur. Apocolypse Now over Kramer vs. Kramer, for example.

Raging Bull over Ordinary People.

Anything over Chariots of Fire.

And of course the obligatory selection of Gay Fatal Attraction (er, Brokeback Mountain) and the insinuation that it didn't win because of its subject matter. I've always felt that it got more credit that in deserves precisely because of that subject matter.

• Like 1

While I completely disagree with the title of this thread (why are the millennials constantly dragged through the mud?)... I will agree with some of their conclusions, but again it's completely subjective.  In 1979 for example, they state that Apocalypse Now should have been Best Picture.  I disagree.  Only because I hate that movie so much that I would choose anything over that film.  I think it's a complete disgrace that The Muppet Movie wasn't nominated for 1979, that's my pick.

I haven't seen all the films nominated either, so I can't really comment on which one is better than the other.  For 1976, I agree with Network, only because I'd rather watch that movie than watch Rocky (even though I love sports movies, especially boxing ones), but I think Network is the better film. 

• Like 1

Well, seein' as how you asked, Speedy...

....(why are the millennials constantly dragged through the mud?)...

...'cause they WON'T GET OFF THEIR DAMN CELLPHONES!!!!

(...especially a lot of times while they're BEHIND THE WHEEL OF A FREAKIN' CAR!!!!)

LOL

;)

• Like 2

Not sure why the thread is titled the way it is, considering the entire Academy votes for Best Picture, and that makes it skew away from a cohort influence.  

As for the article, I found myself disagreeing with most of their conclusions, mostly from my own perspective and biases.  From what I read, the author did the same thing. 

I assume the title is a reference to the two who wrote the article;  i.e.  if the authors' generation had make the selections for best picture this list is what they would be.

I assume the title is a reference to the two who wrote the article;  i.e.  if the authors' generation had make the selections for best picture this list is what they would be.

I looked at the authors-- one author was born in 1983, so I guess he qualifies as a "millennial." However, the other author was born in 1968, making her a member of Gen X.  Depending on the source, Gen X can sometimes extend into the mid-80s... 

I just think it's unfair that in many cases on the internet, if someone authors an article that others disagree with, or makes a film that someone dislikes or what not, it's automatically derided as a product of the dreaded millennials, when often times the source of the maligned material is actually from an earlier generation.

• Like 1

When our parents were young, our grandparents would say "I just don't understand this newer generation". Our parents complained about us baby boomers, saying the same thing. Now we have the internet and the whole world to say it to - about all the post boomer gen-whatevers - everybody gets their turn in the barrel. Way before the internet, I was always going off on "yuppies" -  like the characters portrayed in the TV show Newhart , by Peter Scolari & Julia Duffy.

Now it's the millenial's turn. Soon enough, the millenials will have their chosen gen-? to thrash, and to them black & white will have no connection to film.

• Like 1

I looked at the authors-- one author was born in 1983, so I guess he qualifies as a "millennial." However, the other author was born in 1968, making her a member of Gen X.  Depending on the source, Gen X can sometimes extend into the mid-80s... 

I just think it's unfair that in many cases on the internet, if someone authors an article that others disagree with, or makes a film that someone dislikes or what not, it's automatically derided as a product of the dreaded millennials, when often times the source of the maligned material is actually from an earlier generation.

Thanks for doing that research.      As for your other point;  Gen X are often referred to as the forgotten generation and it appears this title is another example of that (but I assume the OP was just making a joke and assumed the ages of the authors).

The Academy membership breakdown is 77% male, median age 62 and 94% white.      I only point this out related to the question of 'what films would win best picture,  IF,  the membership breakdown was different?'.    

• Like 1

calvinme, I'm sorry, I realize this sounds rude, but your thread title is stupid and misleading.

All you're really doing is posting a link to an article about Academy Best Picture winners over the past 40 years, some of which you may or may not disagree with.

Fair enough - some people seem fascinated by endless debates over which movie should have won Best Picture, going back all the way to the first Oscar presentations.

I don't have a problem your linking us to that article, and such an article is always a way to discuss famous (and not so famous) films from the past. 

But why did you title your thread "what happens when you let millennials pick best picture" ?? That has nothing to do with it.

And nowhere in the article is the age of the two journalists given. (speedy good for you, guess you found out on Facebook? I couldn't find their ages anywhere.)

The implied criticism of "millennials" and their taste just distracts from what your thread is really about, which, I assume, is this list of alternative- Oscar winner suggestions.

• Like 3

calvinme, I'm sorry, I realize this sounds rude, but your thread title is stupid and misleading.

All you're really doing is posting a link to an article about Academy Best Picture winners over the past 40 years, some of which you may or may not disagree with.

Fair enough - some people seem fascinated by endless debates over which movie should have won Best Picture, going back all the way to the first Oscar presentations.

I don't have a problem your linking us to that article, and such an article is always a way to discuss famous (and not so famous) films from the past. 

But why did you title your thread "what happens when you let millennials pick best picture" ?? That has nothing to do with it.

And nowhere in the article is the age of the two journalists given. (speedy good for you, guess you found out on Facebook? I couldn't find their ages anywhere.)

The implied criticism of "millennials" and their taste just distracts from what your thread is really about, which, I assume, is this list of alternative- Oscar winner suggestions.

The median age of Academy membership is 62.    The median age of the authors is 39 \ 40.   I believe the overall point Calvin was making is that when that median age is a lot less than 62,  one can expect a different outcome.  

IMO the makeup of the membership has a lot to do with the outcome.

The median age of Academy membership is 62.    The median age of the authors is 39 \ 40.   I believe the overall point Calvin was making is that when that median age is a lot less than 62,  one can expect a different outcome.  

IMO the makeup of the membership has a lot to do with the outcome.

Thank god I have you, james, to explain these finer points to me.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings