Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Bad English/spelling (apparently unintentional)

karlofffan

Did anybody notice in the written introduction to The Shanghai Gesture that the word "its" (possessive) was spelled "it's" (contraction)? Does anyone know of other occurrences like that? Misspelled subtitles don't count.

Also, I've heard the word "irrelevant" misspoken as "irrevelant" twice, in The Shoes of the Fisherman and (IIRC) The House of Rothschild. Any other examples? Remember, it has to be unquestionably unintentional.

P.S. While spellchecking, the program insisted that "misspoken" was misspelled (i.e., wasn't a real word). I'm sure it is, isn't it?

I always do notice bad English/spelling, intentional or not. [it's my university education as a translator/linguist that makes these things catch my eye...]

I did see it in "The Shanghai Gesture", though.

[This is a film that left me speechless - trash or masterpiece? both? neither? I will probably have to watch it again to come to a conclusion...]

Sometimes it is bothersome; other times, not as much.

Karlofffan, rest assured that "misspoken" is a word...and that Spell Check is a computer function programmed by humans, some of whom cannot spell.

> P.S. While spellchecking, the program insisted that

> "misspoken" was misspelled (i.e., wasn't a real

> word). I'm sure it is, isn't it?

Yep, it's a real word. "Mis-speak" is listed in my OED (Oxford English Dictionary) with citations going back to the years 1200 and 1374 (the 1374 citation is from Chaucer: I me repente If I mis spak). My vintage 1993 electronic Random House Unabridged Dictionary has the modern conjugation: misspeak, misspoke, misspoken.

It's a terrific word. It can get you out of almost anything. I think Tor Johnson?s performance in Plan Nine From Outer Space (1959) is the finest example of method acting from the 1950s. Oops, I misspoke. I meant to say that Tor Johnson?s performance in Plan Nine From Outer Space (1959) is the worst example of method acting from the 1950s.

DavidE

http://www.classicfilmpreview.com

> I did see it in "The Shanghai Gesture", though.

>

> [This is a film that left me speechless - trash or

> masterpiece? both? neither? I will probably have to

> watch it again to come to a conclusion...]

That's exactly my reaction. Did Sternberg push his disregard for narrative to its logical conclusion, making The Shanghai Gesture one of the most original studio movies of the 1940s (The Devil Is a Woman taken to the nth degree)? Or is it simply a train wreck of a movie where nothing works and no one really cares? I can't figure it out. It may be both, which doesn't seem possible.

DavidE

http://www.classicfilmpreview.com

Nice to see you, DavidE.

What? No Tor Johnson on the Hollywood Walk of Fame??? This is an outrage!

[picks up marbles and goes home...]

[returns, having lost his marbles on the way home]

Now, "The Shanghai Gesture"...I'm glad I am not the only one who can see this movie as a "train wreck", i.e. not wanting to watch, but somehow transfixed.

I'll have to watch "The Devil is a Woman" - it will also give me an opportunity to evaluate Cesar Romero, and maybe see why he is "swoonworthy"* or whatever it is others in other threads see in him...

*not a word...[kneels in prayer]

Message was edited by:

wordmaster

As Ed Begley said in Twelve Angry Men " They don't even speak good English"

Actually, Begley's character says, "They don't even speak English good" (ironically, your version of it is properly grammatical).

To which his fellow juror (played by George Voskovec) replies, "They don't speak English well," a gentle though pointed rebuke because, unlike Begley's character, Voskovec's is foreign-born, and not a native English-speaker.

Even though I would LOVE to discuss The Shanghai Gesture, I would prefer to do it over in The Shanghai Gesture's thread (even though the discussion has little to do with the question asked, that has never stopped anyone before)!

Now, karlofffan, this is TOO easy. Unfortunately, English has always been a problem with the human's who must speak, write, and express it. These threads are riddled with flaws. I expect even I have made an occasional error, even in writing this. But, nevertheless, anyone who is expressing himself or herself on paper, which is what is being done here, should watch themselves! Every time you write, you have an opportunity for improvement. It should be accessed with fervor! It should not be thrown aside as being too much trouble, or not important enough for "this kind" of writing.

Another aspect of the entries made in these threads that bothers me is the use of CAPITALS to escape having to spell, punctuate or think. And, one more thing, I disagree with you on one major point. Why in the world wouldn't misspelled subtitles count? Unless there is some formatting problem that exists with TCM of which I am unaware, there is at no time any excuse for poor grammar, spelling or structure when born to a language. So, subtitles do count! Everything counts. And, it will count everyday of your life until you are dead. Granted we all make mistakes.

That being said, here is a just a sampling of an enormous list of errors I have found in these threads. The names have been left out to protect the "innocent."

there's that one movie where they meet at that diner by the train station and that's where they leave each other because they can't be together, i can't ever remember it!

i started watching classic films when i was very young, and right from the start i loved audrey hepburn, ginger rogers, gregory peck, and cary grant.

why do u want to know?

I would love to see the movie The Sun Also Rises and the one about Barrymoore.

One other thing..I have always thought She age graceful...Better with time..So other age horrible and they still continue to act...

If you read her bio. she stated it herself that she ruin it. Also in the book it mention that Irving told her if she was to marry , don't marry anyone in the business..

I look at it this way,she new when to get out and she still had a GREAT SECOND marriage as well..This doesn't happen in this era...LOL

I was dissappointed that TCM didn't show those 2 movies before the Millionth veiwing of Guess Who's Coming to Dinner and In the Heat of the Night but I soon found out why those other movies were showed later.

Thread: Jennifer Jones:Filmdom's Great Actress:did Selznick destroy her career?!?

just so you know the line ,hey this one is for.is part of the line that was said in the movie any guesses out there yet

First, I have to say this to all you it's a wonderful life people.

i believe you're right!

That. is an incredible thing!

I hope this doesn't make me unpopular. I am just adamant about the language and its imminent demise.

Whew! I'm glad none of those quotes belonged to me. I would have to agree that the language is dying. I have an engineering degree, and took exactly zero English courses during my college days. Really. So you'll get no flowery, descriptive language from me, period. But I try my best to avoid slang and bad grammar (feel free to correct any you might find here), and I absolutely refuse to misspell a word. And no, I don't use spell check. If I do forget the spelling of a word (seems to be happening now that I'm in my forties), I look it up. The perfectionist in me just won't allow it. I'm just a geek. Oops, is that slang? Oops, oops is slang! But my favorite misspelling came from "Suggest A Movie". I nearly fell out of my chair. Sorry if that person is reading this, or if someone might find it offensive. It was a completely serious request for the airing of "Irma La ****".

Oh, patful! You are so amusing!! Loved the geek, oops, opps! Just the fact that you care so much means you will progress and improve. I don't worry about guys like you. I worry about "i thikn u r cool!!?!" It is mostly youth who write that way, and I hope someday the value of correctness, in all you do, will hit them.

Anyway, LOL! Irma La ****! Ha! Ha! Ha!

[furrows brow]

I thought commercial advertising/product placement wouldn't be allowed here...this could be the thin edge of the wedge...to arms, to arms!

[picks up stray cudgel]

"We must fight them in the threads; we must fight them in the forums...we shall never surrender!"

...or are we talking about a character from some Marx Brothers [or Mel Brooks] movie lost in the vaults?

If this is a blatant attempt to inject advertising into our hallowed halls, it will be something up with which I will not put!!!

[picks up thesaurus, and goes home...]

> Why in the world wouldn't misspelled subtitles count?

Because that's not the fault of the filmaker/director/writer/actor. The subtitles could have been

(re)written last month for a new release of some film from 1930. Splitting hairs, I know.

> the penmenship> award, that is!

You must have "crossed your i's" when you wrote this...

Thanks for playing our game...we have some lovely parting gifts for you...maybe a crack on the knuckles from Sister Ellen Marie, right, TMN?

Seriously, though, I don't think the language police belong here. Let's just get our thoughts across coherently and, as long as we don't start text messaging, we'll all get along fine.

Sorry, guys. I have been gone all afternoon.

Oh, thanks for the clarification on that, karlofffan! I understand now.

And, wordmaster! You don't miss a trick! You are pretty fast. It is you who deserve the prize! As usual.

But, I agree. I admitted that mistakes are inevitable, (if you are clever enough to catch them) especially at the pace some of these messages are written! So, it is fine with me if we bury this subject. However, I think it deserves at least as much time as was spent on the Osmond's. This is the language of the land, after all.

TOONMANY YOU HAVE BETTER WATCH HOW YOU TALK TO ME BECAUSE IF YOU DONT IM GOING TO REPORT YOU !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ha! Now that was a hoot!

Agreed.

The less said about those people, the better.

;-)

Great day in the morning! My first successful emoticon...

CUE MUSIC: THEME of "Mission Impossible"

"Your mission, wordmaster, should you decide to accept it, is to figure out how to attach photographs to your replies without tearing your hair out...on the other hand, baldness is kind of trendy...this tape will self-destruct in 5 seconds...good luck...and stop putting three dots after everything...2...now, I already told you about that...1...now that does it!!!"

KA-BOOM!!!

[exits, looking and feeling like Wile E. Coyote]

Message was edited by:

wordmaster