Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

movies I would like to see

bambam

TCM has run "The Bells of St, Mary's" several times a year including around the holidays. I'm pretty sure they've shown "No Time For Sergeants" also. Best to keep an eye open on the schedule for repeats.

Saratoga Trunk with Ingrid Bergman and Gary Cooper, The Strange Woman with Hedy Lamarr and George Sanders, Lloyds of London with Tyrone Power, Madeleine Carroll, and George Sanders, These Glamour Girls with Lana Turner, Marsha Hunt, Anita Louise, Jane Bryan, and Ann Rutherford, and Cain and Mable with Clark Gable and Marion Davies.

Thanks for the offer - I'll be retiring in 10 years or so - maybe I'll pick up a copy then.

Moulin Rouge has a special place in my heart because it is the first film I can remember seeing in the theater. I was but 3 or 4, and I don't think I've retained much of it except for the colors and the theme song, and perhaps a vague recollection of Jose Ferrer walking on his knees.

The salient point of this recollection is that in 1953/4, etc., you could take your (very well-behaved) little ones with you to the movies, and not be too concerned that there would be anything inappropriate going on on the screen.

Well, it was pretty risque. I'd say you were a sophisticated lass. :) Toulouse-Lautrec shacks up with a prostitute and keeps company with the darker side of society. I have early childhood memories of a record cover that featured images from the movie. The were thrillingly sexual to my young eyes. The movie is beautiful though with rich, saturated colors. Zsa Zsa is enchanting; the acting and storyline are intense and disquieting. Drop by anytime!

I think the risque element passed me by at that age, but there was enough in it to satisfy my craving for bright lights sand circuses, or whatever little kids do crave (or did crave in the early 50s). I do distinctly remember the artist drawing on the table, which I thought was a pretty cool idea, but never had the nerve to try it in front of my parents.

I've been humming the Moulin Rouge theme song all day. Don't you love the rhyme:

It's a sad thing to realize

That you've a heart that never melts.

When we kiss do you close your eyes,

Pretending that I'm someone 'elts' ?

For years I thought the word was, indeed, 'elts.' Hollywood can be so instructive.

• 3 weeks later...

Two of John Ford's really Irish Films;"The Plough and the Stars"[1936 RKO] and

"The Rising of the Moon"[1957,dist by Warner Bros.].Both films are still listed in

Leonard Maltin's Movie Guide,so I hope they haven't been lost.Most of Ford's films that aren't shown often are his 30s films at Fox,therefore FMC should show them once in a while.

I would certainly like to see both John Ford Irish films. I don't think either are "lost", just neglected. I've heard terrible stories about the condition of the RKO library when Turner bought it so perhaps "Plough" is one of those overlooked titles that hasn't been restored yet. As for "Moon", it was syndicated to local tv stations in a Warner Bros. package in the early 1970s. and as I recall the prints were quite nice. Let's keep our fingers crossed that TCM could dig it up sometime.

How about Ford's "Gideon of Scotland Yard" (a.k.a. "Gideon's Day" in the UK)? That's one of countless Sony/Columbia-controlled films produced or co-produced in England that haven't been issued on home video and haven't had a national U.S. broadcast in ages. A number of Hammer films also fall into this void.