Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Who would you rather meet?

Once Upon a Time a big Hollywood studio had a choice between continuing the contracts of two young girl singers back in the mid-1930s.

They dropped one of the girls, who later made a lot of money for another studio. She had a rather  operatic voice and at the time they already had a rather operatic singing star anyway.

So they chose to push the other girl who had a more Jazzy or popular way of singing.

The young operatic singer was very successful  but chosed to retire early and was never heard from again.

The Jazzy pop singer became the most beloved female singer in the history of Hollywood.

She continued singing for her adoring fans all over the world till the day she died.

So I guess I would pick Judy Garland too- -just like MGM did.

Next:

If you wanted to swash and buckle with someone or only to watch someone swash and buckle who would you pick and why?

Tyrone Power or Errol Flynn??

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, laffite said:

Flicka, seems more of a friend

next: Jayne or Audrey (as in Meadows)

This one's easy-- Jayne always got on my nerves. She seemed rather pretentious to me.

Whereas, Audrey had a wonderful Down to Earth, but authoritative, speaking voice that made you want to listen to her.

Next:

Uncle Charlie or Bub--

William Demarest?

or

William Frawley?

2 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

Jayne always got on my nerves. She seemed rather pretentious to me.

Yeah, me too. Funny he would marry her, he so down to earth. If asked, "What do you too talk about?," he would say, "Who talked?".  "Well, what was like to listen to her?" "Who listened?"

Frawley, of course. I would like to ask him, "Where did you meet Ethel?" "Why were you such a skinflint? "Did you ever play chess with Ricky" You know, all kinds of fascinating stuff like that.

Next :::: Woody Allen or Imgmar Bergman "

Duh? Right?

Since I don't think we would understand each other, I couldn't say Bergman.

Even though I am younger than Woody Allen, I would read him the riot act over some of the creepy stuff he has done.  Of course, after some of the theories he put in his memoir, either he is delusional or something is seriously wrong with his brain.  Personally, I think both Woody and Mia were both abusive, but taking nude pictures of your daughter or stepdaughter is creepy.  I like his films; however, he is a disgrace to the Jewish people.

Next:  Shirley M. or her brother, Warren Beatty

Warren Beatty.  I noticed in another thread called something like "Actors You Don't Like" poor Warren surprisingly got a lot of negative comments.    I always liked both of them and enjoyed many of their movies.  Although Shirley seems like she'd be more chatty and would be more forth coming about her various co-stars and flings, I'll give a little support for her younger brother.

Next:   Paul Newman or Robert Redford?

• 2 weeks later...

I think I got most of Frank Capra's Hollywood stories from his autobiography.

It's very good and everyone who loves film should read it.

But I would rather spend time with Orson Welles for all the obvious reasons.

Next, two directors from foreign countries who have similar last names--

But, who directed very different kinds of movies:

Billy Wilder or William Wyler?

• Like 1
31 minutes ago, Princess of Tap said:

I think I got most of Frank Capra's Hollywood stories from his autobiography.

It's very good and everyone who loves film should read it.

But I would rather spend time with Orson Welles for all the obvious reasons.

Next, two directors from foreign countries who have similar last names--

But, who directed very different kinds of movies:

Billy Wilder or William Wyler?

What are those obvious reasons ? The fact that the conversation would take place at some high class restaurant with gourmet cuisine ?

2 hours ago, GGGGerald said:

What are those obvious reasons ? The fact that the conversation would take place at some high class restaurant with gourmet cuisine ?

I gotta tell you that I've spent a lot of time in Paris. And so did Orson.

And just about every restaurant there is a good one. Plus Orson is the kind of person who really knows culture on every level. So I can imagine that we would be in a nice restaurant in Paris, maybe go to some obscure Museum and maybe end up in some cozy little night spot where you find a lot of avant-garde artists who still are unknown.

Eating is only part of it but, of course, the French have made an art of cuisine.

• Like 2

Orson was bigger than life. He is brilliant  and colorful and has stories galore, most of the lies (by his own admission, ha). The number of topics to initiate conversation are numerous and fascinating. All those films, all those larger that life characters he specialized in. His early precocious life is rife with interesting occurrences. I know less about Capra but decidedly he was more strait-laced than Orson. My two cents. Just don't ask him how much ice cream he ate every day, it will frighten you.

• Like 1

Billy Wilder had all those funny ones, but William Wyler is my choice if for the reason that he is known for (I think) toning down Bette in her acting style. That would be a fascinating subject to talk about.

Next : two more directors ; Marcel Pagnol or Francois Truffaut

?

2 minutes ago, laffite said:

Billy Wilder had all those funny ones, but William Wyler is my choice if for the reason that he is known for (I think) toning down Bette in her acting style. That would be a fascinating subject to talk about.

Next : two more directors ; Marcel Pagnol or Francois Truffaut

?

(More fascinating would be me explaining to you how he toned her down.)

I think I would rather spend time with Marcel because he told so many Fantastic Mediterranean stories and he was close with Fernandel, who would have been fun and would have sung some of those songs from their movies.

I actually went to a public interview with Truffaut once. He was a good storyteller and commentator on his own work.

But I think personally I'll go with Marcel, Fernandel and the bouillabaisse.

Next: 2 Giants from International and French Cinema--

Gerard Depardieu &

Jean Gabin?

• Like 1