Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Who would you rather meet?

Jean Gabin, probably he is more intriguing and mysterious to me. There is something about Gerard that suggests a low-brow cast of mind. Gabin might be the same for all I know, but I would take a chance with jean.

I like your choice of Marcel Pagnol. Wonderful literary and cinematic genius, but not always a nice man. He knocked up two actors and refused to support them or the children and even repudiated their very existence by ignoring them altogether.

Next : Gerard Phillipe or Jeanne Moreau             ?????

Monseiur Phillipe is my idol going back to my school days (though I am not French, I might add for who don't know)

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, Princess of Tap said:

(More fascinating would be me explaining to you how he toned her down.)

I think I would rather spend time with Marcel because he told so many Fantastic Mediterranean stories and he was close with Fernandel, who would have been fun and would have sung some of those songs from their movies.

I actually went to a public interview with Truffaut once. He was a good storyteller and commentator on his own work.

But I think personally I'll go with Marcel, Fernandel and the bouillabaisse.

Next: 2 Giants from International and French Cinema--

Gerard Depardieu &

Jean Gabin?

Pricness see my previous post - I forgot to quote you, thanks

14 minutes ago, laffite said:

Pricness see my previous post - I forgot to quote you, thanks

Jeanne Moreau is a fascinating actress.

But I don't think there is a female French major who ever lived who didn't at one time fall in love with Gerard Philippe in the movies. "Une Si Jolie Plage" is my favorite movie for him.

NEXT:

2 sides of the coin--

Who would you rather meet and spend some quality time with--

The mammoth masculine Japanese actor Toshiro Mifune

Or

His Brilliant director and mentor

Akira Kurosawa?

Kurosawa. More fun to talk about the movies from a director's POV. I would like to talk to him about DREAMS and DODES KA-DEN, two of his later color films for starters.  I fear if I asked Mifune an embarrassing question he might hack me to pieces with his sword.

Who would you rather have for your spiritual advisor :  Buddy Hacket or Don Rickles    ????

BTW, chere Princess, le nom seconde de Gerard n'avez qu'un seul P. Merci pour me permettre de te corriger.

15 hours ago, laffite said:

Kurosawa. More fun to talk about the movies from a director's POV. I would like to talk to him about DREAMS and DODES KA-DEN, two of his later color films for starters.  I fear if I asked Mifune an embarrassing question he might hack me to pieces with his sword.

Who would you rather have for your spiritual advisor :  Buddy Hacket or Don Rickles    ????

*BTW, chere Princess, le nom seconde de Gerard n'avez qu'un seul P. Merci pour me permettre de te corriger.

(*I know but I just put it on automatic mic because I'm lazy. And I'm really too lazy to use the word lazy in French because I always misspell it. So, I wrote this in English.)

I think Don Rickles was a scream--

But Buddy Hackett can get really serious and profound. I found him to be a very well-rounded character.

Next:

Which non- singing Broadway musical star in a hit Musical would you like to meet, who also portrayed that role in the movie:

Robert Preston or Rex Harrison?

On 9/6/2020 at 4:16 PM, Princess of Tap said:

hich non- singing Broadway musical star in a hit Musical would you like to meet, who also portrayed that role in the movie:

Robert Preston or Rex Harrison?

I'm confused. Robert Preson sang. I can hear 76 Trombones and Marian the Librarian. Or am I misconstruing your words. I am not excited by the choice so I'll leave for another.

I like both but I think I'd pick Robert Preston.  He seems like he'd be more friendly and less intimidating than Harrison.  I've read that Harrison could be difficult to work with and had a colorful personal life.  I'd take tickets to see either in their Broadway shows, though!

Next:  James Mason or Claude Rains?

Outright confession here:

I was in love with Dickie Dawson when I was in high school--

or I should really say Newkirk in "Hogan's Heroes".

No hindsight here, Bob Crane always gave me the creeps.

Next: In college my favorite sitcom was "The Odd Couple".

OK-- Who are you going to pick:

Jack Klugman or Tony Randall?

• Like 1

Tony Randall in a landslide. Nothing wrong with Jack but he is so used to getting upset and acting out. Tony was always a fave. I loved his appearances on talk shows. He was an amateur opera singer and talked about opera in general. He once told a story to Dick Cavett about how Mahler was conducting Tristan und Isolde (Wagner) and during a particularly erotic passage attained the "complete experience". The audience went wild (remember this was the 70s) and Dick yelled out, "Wow!" I always got a good vibe from any character he played. He had a great sense of humor. Loved the guy.

Would rather meet  : Alain Delon or Gerard Philippe   ??????

• Like 1
16 hours ago, laffite said:

Tony Randall in a landslide. Nothing wrong with Jack but he is so used to getting upset and acting out. Tony was always a fave. I loved his appearances on talk shows. He was an amateur opera singer and talked about opera in general. He once told a story to Dick Cavett about how Mahler was conducting Tristan und Isolde (Wagner) and during a particularly erotic passage attained the "complete experience". The audience went wild (remember this was the 70s) and Dick yelled out, "Wow!" I always got a good vibe from any character he played. He had a great sense of humor. Loved the guy.

Would rather meet  : Alain Delon or Gerard Philippe   ??????

For years I listened to Tony Randall on the Texaco Metropolitan Opera Quiz-- nobody could beat him. I learned a lot about Opera just by listening to his answers.

###

I haven't seen much of Alain Delon except for a couple of movies and in a TV series that I liked a lot. I understand that he was a longtime movie Idol in France.

Ironically, although Gerard Philipe did not live that long, I've seen a lot more of his movies. And I've heard and I've read a lot more about him as an actor and as an individual. He inspired a number of French actors we have today to go into the profession. He was the biggest French male star in the post-war era. Lost too soon, the French revere him and look at him in the same way we look at James Dean.

I would have liked to have met him and have talked to him about starring as Caligula in Camus' play.

Next:

Jeanne Moreau or

Catherine Deneuve?

The battle of the Mr. Frenches.  (I had forgotten how that worked so I looked it up.  Cabot became ill and Williams came on as his brother for 9 episodes.)

I like both actors but I'd have to go with John Williams for his film career:  Sabrina, To Catch a Thief, Dial M for Murder, Witness for the Prosecution .

Next: Margaret Sullavan or Constance Bennett?

No competition here--

I'd pick Margaret Sullavan because she was the best actress and the most interesting and complicated personality.

But the competition for her affections was among James Stewart, William Wyler, Leland Hayward, and Henry Fonda. 

Next:

Speaking of which:

Henry Fonda or James Stewart?

• Like 1

Marilyn, always Marilyn, no matter what. Of course, she has the advantage being closer to our own time. Very ironic, since when does MM need an advantage? Never. She is herself and that's enough.

Who to meet,

Martin Balsam or Alan Mowbray

Al Pacino because i seem to "know" him better, though I'm not thrilled. Hoffman seems distant and a bit enigmatic. Probably I've never seen him interviewed. I'm guessing that he maybe did not do a lot of that.

You would rather meet  :

Sylvester or Yosimite Sam. 

Joel McCrea.  He could play comedy, drama, Westerns.  Randolph Scott always seemed kind of bland to me.  I'm married to a Randolph Scott fan and certainly have see my share of his Westerns, though.

Next:  William Powell or Dick Powell?

• Like 1

I'm a big fan of "The Thin Man" series.

But  Dick Powell was a Marvel in the history of Show Business-- in front and behind the camera.

I remember what a trailblazing Pioneer he was in the television industry.

Next:

Two movie stars who also became TV Legends--

Loretta Young or

Barbara Stanwyck?

• Like 1