Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Who would you rather meet?

On 6/6/2021 at 1:33 PM, laffite said:

Richard Burton

...a gold mind for interesting things to talk about ...Shakespeare, famous acquaintances, Liz etc

Woody Allen or Ingmar Bergman   ???

Bergman...by a mile.

Next: Lionel Barrymore or Charles Laughton

• 2 weeks later...

Toughie, but I would go with Linda Hunt.  She won an Oscar for playing a man.  She is the most worthwhile thing on NCIS LA.  I can explain why, since I boycott Mel G.'s movies (because he hates Jews), I can't watch The Year of Living Dangerously (too bad - it was a great movie).  I can also talk to her about roles she couldn't get to her size/looks, etc.

Next:  Harrison Ford or Karen Allen?

Personally, I like Harrison.  I would rather meet Broderick Crawford so that I could ask him what it was like to work with my Mom's friend, July Holliday in Born Yesterday.  That film still resonates today.

Next:  Tom Selleck or Kevin Kline (just watched them in In and Out).  Please don't call me stupid!

On 6/19/2021 at 9:48 AM, chaya bat woof woof said:

Personally, I like Harrison.  I would rather meet Broderick Crawford so that I could ask him what it was like to work with my Mom's friend, July Holliday in Born Yesterday.  That film still resonates today.

Next:  Tom Selleck or Kevin Kline (just watched them in In and Out).  Please don't call me stupid!

I like them both but I think Kevin Kline would be a hoot. Selleck played hoops for John Wooden at UCLA and that might be worth a little chit chat.

Next: Tippi Hedron or Melanie Griffith

• Like 1

Probably Hedron, she worked for both Chaplin and Hitchcock, that would make for interesting conversation.

next  :   Judi Dench or Maggie Smith

• Like 1

Really hard to choose because I would like to meet both (and both died far too young).  Even though I would love to discuss Cuckoo's Nest with Sampson, I will go with Chief Dan George because he was part of the age where Hollywood stereotyped Native Americans/Indians.

Next:  Michael Keaton or Christopher Guest

7 hours ago, BunnyWhit said:

Polanski because of Chinatown (1972) and Tess (1979). Herzog's work doesn't much interest me.

Next: Chief Dan George or Will Sampson

I recently rewatched FITZCARRALDO and it was tremendous. That's why I brought up his name in this thread. I think I would prefer Werner in a meet and greet.

2 hours ago, chaya bat woof woof said:

Really hard to choose because I would like to meet both (and both died far too young).  Even though I would love to discuss Cuckoo's Nest with Sampson, I will go with Chief Dan George because he was part of the age where Hollywood stereotyped Native Americans/Indians.

Next:  Michael Keaton or Christopher Guest

I really like both of them and would be giddy if I had a chance to meet either.

If I had to choose, I'd go with Guest. His SNL stint. He was in DEATH WISH with Bronson. And his turns in SPINAL TAP and his other ensemble comedies would be a lot of fun.

NEXT: Sigourney Weaver or Glenn Close

• Like 1

Sigourney Weaver by a mile.  That is not her real name and I liked her on Doc Martin.  Glenn Close always came across as snobbish to me.

I actually didn't mean to write Michael Keaton (and I like both of them also), I meant Michael McKean (still like him on Food Network Series - about Fact or Fiction).  He was also in Spinal Tap.

Next:  Janet Leigh or her daughter, Jamie Leigh Curtis?

43 minutes ago, chaya bat woof woof said:

Sigourney Weaver by a mile.  That is not her real name and I liked her on Doc Martin.  Glenn Close always came across as snobbish to me.

I actually didn't mean to write Michael Keaton (and I like both of them also), I meant Michael McKean (still like him on Food Network Series - about Fact or Fiction).  He was also in Spinal

Sigourney is Ripley, to me. Course she was younger. She has just made her appearance in Doc Martin. a show I am fairly addicted to. Netflix disc service has this series but for some reason but does not have S3 or S4, so I skipped them and went to S5. Prime Video has 3 and 4 and want $12 per series to see them.  If I can't find them anywhere else I may do PrimeV. The overall narrative doesn't matter so I won't mind backtracking. Where did you see it, please? Does the doc crack a smile, even if just once? I mean it's okay if he doesn't, just curious. Somewhere along the line (S7 or so) Louisa lost weight and is not as attractive (derriere-wise). BTW, have you noticed that Morwenna looks like another Eve Arden with that face and those quips (those eyes too), not at first but a little later S6-S7? Selena Cadell (the pharmacist) is a comic genius. Julie Graham is immensely appealing, one of the most womanliness women ever. I'm about to start William and Mary where she is much much younger, she'll probably drive me crazy.

Michael McKean was wonderful in Better Caul Saul. A beautifully realized character.

When I think of Glenn Close, it's Liaisons Dangereuses (1986), and you're right, she is beyond snobbish in that one.

Current clue repeat: Janet Leigh or her daughter, Jamie Leigh Curtis?

I don't know the daughter so I won't answer.

54 minutes ago, chaya bat woof woof said:

I actually didn't mean to write Michael Keaton (and I like both of them also), I meant Michael McKean (still like him on Food Network Series - about Fact or Fiction).  He was also in Spinal Tap.

I think I'd go with Jamie Lee Curtis. Probably because she's in my generation and more contemporary.

Next: Jason Robards or Richard Widmark

1 hour ago, chaya bat woof woof said:

Sigourney Weaver by a mile. 

À propos of nothing, Jamie Lee Curtis (note: not "Leigh Curtis") is close friends with Sigourney Weaver, so you if you play your cards right you could maybe meet two for the price of one.  🙂

• Like 1
44 minutes ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

Robards, I heard Widmark could be a bit surly with fans.

Next- Tom Bosley or David Doyle?

I met Widmark once, briefly, on the golf course. He was not a happy camper. OTOH, I met Robards neighbor from Westport, CT. It was after he had passed away. He too, it was said, was sometimes difficult.

I think I would have gone with Robards too.

I think I'd choose Bosley over Doyle.

Next: Jerry Lewis or Dean Martin

44 minutes ago, Desilufan said:

Dino!!! 

Next: Angie Dickinson or Shirley MacLaine? 

Me too. Dean Martin, from what I understand, was a very nice guy and not anything like his cocktail swigging persona. Lewis, on the other hand, was known to be a tough guy to deal with on and off screen.

Then.....oh, oh, oh.....I don't think I could handle meeting Angie Dickinson. Just the thought of it!!!!

Next: Jack Klugman or Tony Randall

• Like 1

Jack Klugman for many reasons (one of which is that he costarred in one of my favorite films and the only one he said he was really proud of - Twelve Angry Men).

I met Jason Robards after seeing him in You Can't Take It With You.  He was charming and accommodating and I was tongue tied (the person I was with wasn't).  The only thing I managed to say was in response to his question of whether I enjoyed the play:  I responded "yes."

Next:  Stephen Sondheim or Steven Spielberg?

• Like 1
10 hours ago, BunnyWhit said:

Bill Murray -- we'd talk baseball

next: John Belushi or Jim Belushi

Oh, John for sure.

Next: Judy Garland or Mickey Rooney....I think this one would be tough to choose.

Not really that difficult. They are both equally interesting but if we were to have a conversation, Mickey would be better (for obvious reasons, I think).

Clara Bloom or Clara Bow

?