Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

dorothy mcguire

cee

just want to put in a plug for my one of my favorites, the wonderful dorothy mcguire--a birthday block of movies from 6 a.m. to 2:45 p.m. eastern on 6/14--the best of the batch, i think, being "till the end of time", which also affords us a look at real post-war middle-class los angeles locations

Cee, she's one of my favorites too. She had a very strong presence without the pyrotechnics of a Davis or Crawford (not that I don't like those ladies and their manners). I thought she was very sweet in the Claudia and David movies, and she was so touching in A Tree Grows in Brooklyn. I found her exactly right in that part - just as I pictured Katie Nolan when I was reading the book. She brought great conviction to every part she played.

Count me as another Dorothy McGuire fan.

"Till the End of Time" is a sorely underappreciated film; it was one of the first films I ever saw with Dorothy, and the first time I saw Guy Madison also.

There's something about the directness of the film and the way it dealt with their relationship that really made an impression on me. It was probably one of the few roles that Guy Madison could handle well, given his lack of formal training.

"Trial" - I can't wait to see that one; this time, Dorothy's with two great actors, Glenn Ford and the underrated Arthur Kennedy.

"The Enchanted Cottage" is a curious film but worth seeing, all you romance fans out there, for its message about the universality of love.

I can think of three Disney movies Dorothy McGuire made:

Summer Magic

Old Yeller

Swiss Family Robinson

(was she in The Moon-Spinners?)

Summer Magic was a favorite of mine when I was a child. I still have the vinyl recording and wish I could get it on cd.

Hi Wordmaster,

I just watched "Till the End of Time" and it was a very good nice little film.

Dorothy McGuire was very good as always and I was surprised at how really well Guy Madison was in the picture.

I can't make up my mind who was more beautiful - him or Sterling Hayden - back in the early forties.

Hi Jack,

No, Dorothy McGuire was not in "The Moonspinners". That was Joan Greenwood, an English actress.

Larry

VLarry, you are right about Guy Madison. I knew him only from his "Wild Bill Hicock" TV show, and the first time I saw him in "Till the End of Time" I was amazed at how gorgeous he was. Not that he wasn't quite comely on the TV show, but he was like a little muscular angel in that film.

"...I was surprised at how really well Guy Madison was in the picture.

I can't make up my mind who was more beautiful - him or Sterling Hayden - back in the early forties..."

On the Sexiest Men in Film thread, I listed Guy Madison in the top three for the 1940's. He was a knock-out in his debut appearance in Since You Went Away.

"...Dorothy McGuire was not in "The Moonspinners". That was Joan Greenwood, an English actress."

Thanks Larry! I love Joan Greenwood with her throaty voice and crisp accent. She'll always be Gwendolen Fairfax to me... Maybe I should check out Moonspinners; I was somehow enchanted by it as a kid, but have little memory of it now (other than Hayley Mills hanging from her namesake).

Jdb1,

I remember him from "Wild Bill Hickock too. Good show; they should bring it back.

Jack,

I saw that you included Guy Madison in that thread. Great choice.

I was going to mention that Sterling Hayden and him could have been twins. In another thread several months ago, we were asked who could be brothers and I answered Richard Chamberlain and James Franciscus.

Now, I wonder if we could make quadruplets out of Guy, Sterling, Richard and James. All beautiful men!!!

Larry

Hi Jack,

Rent and watch "The Moonspinners"; it's a good film.

I was on the London set of Pola Negri's yacht scenes for the first 3 days of her filming.

Several of her friends and especially me practically forced her to do that film and since I was in London at the time, she insisted that I stay and accompany her to the location.

She was great and everybody loved her, even the cheetah! After 3 days, I left her and she ended up stealing the picture.

Larry

One of the first movies I saw with Dorothy McGuire in it was "A Summer Place", a very good movie.What I like about her is her serene, almost maternal presence, if she is in a movie you know that she will be in a role where her character will do what is right.She wasn't a looker but she sure made up for it in her acting.

Can any of you recommend any other movies she was in that were good?I know I've seen other movies with her in it but their names have escaped me. Thanks!

by the way, in "a summer place", dorothy mcguire & richard egan were, by far, the hotter couple (rather than sandra dee & troy donahue)--the scenes in the attic & especially the boathouse--in a time when overt sexuality was not depicted, they put the point across...also, i disagree that she was not a looker...

CEE: I must sat I have to agree with you on Dorothy McGuire and Richard Egan being the hottest couple in "A Summer Place". The look in their eyes spoke a thousand words, but remember where their characters were in the movie; both had suffered, she at the hands of an alcoholic husband and he (help me w/ this one, was he divorced or a widower?) . Sandra Dee and Troy Donahue played to a tee what they were, innocent, virginal teens dealing with puppy loved turned into adolescent lust.When I refer to D. M. not beeing a looker I mean that her looks, although unique, were not along the lines of, Elizabeth Taylor's or other women popular back then.

you asked for recommendations; i'd list, apart from the others that have already been mentioned: a tree grows in brooklyn, friendly persuasion, the spiral staircase, the dark at the top of the stairs, invitaion...invitation reminds me that, along with till the end of time, those are 2 whose haunting music was justifyably famous, too...also a good piece of trivia is that she founded the la jolla playhouse in san diego in 1947 wiyh gregory peck & mel ferrer & it is still going strong!

egan's character was still married when they rekindled their affair of long ago...later in the movie both couples divorce & mcguire & egan marry (& move into that frank lloyd wright-like house!)...mcguire had one of the best voices in films, too

There's also "Claudia" and "Claudia and David," which are kind of sappy, but very nice and very entertaining. Was "Claudia" her first movie? I think so.

Also, if you can find it - she was in a TV production of "Another Part of the Forest" in the 70s. She plays the mother of the vile family which grew up to be the protagonists of "The Little Foxes." When Maguire says "I know you shouldn't say it - but I don't really like my children," it breaks your heart.