Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What is the best recent film you have seen?

Hate to cut in between Cinemascope & Kubrickbuff....but recently saw

"The Departed", "Notes On A Scandal", The Last King of Scotland.(Forrest Whitaker was mesmerizing!)

Saw "A Clockwork Orange" when it first came out way back when...1971 or so...it has to be seen in a theater! Malcolm McDowell was very good, but the film in not a masterpiece! "The Godfather" IS a masterpiece!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Mike, I read the "Zodiac" book a few years back (Bright yellow) paperback and it scared the DEATH out of me, especially since I was living in the Bay area at the time!! I heard the movie is excellent and I'll go see it even if it DOES scare the pants off me! :)

This is far from a 'best' movie of any kind, but it was interesting due to one fact. The language. There was very little use of foul language. It was used in certain appropriate times, in anger, during shooting scenes, etc. But not to excess. The movie was '16 Blocks', about a cop driving a guy to testify at court, not knowing he is to testify against cops, and the cops are out to get him. Enough said about it, but it was relatively a good, action packed film, which starred Bruce Willis, David Morse, and Mos Def. I saw Willis recently on Leno and he mentioned his kids were getting old enough to see his movies now but he limits them to only certain ones. I wonder if that had anything to do with this movie.

What you do for other kids, is entirely different when your own may be affected.

Never having seen Mos Def previously, or know anything about him, I have one question.

Does he always talk like a parolee from a mental institution or was that an act? If it was an act, then he probably has quite a future ahead of him, but if it was his normal way of speaking, then he needs a reincarnation of Miss Lillian Burns assistance. I would seriously be grateful for an answer.

Anne

I don't go to films regularly...I prefer to watch old movies on TV or at theatres if shown....I have always wondered how TCM designates a picture as an "Essential"....today I noticed that Fear Strikes Out will be the Essential next week, but I do not remember that to be a great movie....in fact, I believe it to be, one of the worst sports movies ever made and that Anothy Perkins' performance is not very memorable....Jim Piersall is one of my favorite sports figures and I believe he was even embarrassed by the film....

• 11 months later...

I just watched In the Valley of Elah. Amazing movie!! Tommy Lee Jones probably gives his best performance, and his Oscar-nomination was well-deserved. Charlize Theron should have been nominated as well.

Director Paul Haggis did an excellent job capturing the struggles our troops have not only during war but when they return home. A must-see film.

Archived