Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What is the best recent film you have seen?

i liked Crash alot

i thought it was rele good and

Monsters Inc

Finding Nemo

Spiderman 1&2

and all three X-Men movies were AWESOME

when the third one comes out on DVD im gonna be the first in line to buy it

it stopped following the comic book at the end but still it was unbelievabley awesome

Hi Matt,

Thanks for that enlightening article.

I admit that I don't know anything about global warming or science in general, but I do think we're putting too much pollution into the air. Just for breathing concerns alone, do I support cutting these emissions.

Better people than me will need to solve all this.

I still do recommend that people should see this movie as a 'talking point' to solving atmosphere problems if nothing else.

Larry

Yeah to get back on track with the thread, the best movie I seen the other night was Summer Stock with of course Judy Garland and Gene Kelly. I'm still kind of new at watching old movies but I think that was one of the best I seen of Judy and Gene. The movie was just so upbeat and just very entertaining to watch! That was the best I seen of Gene's dancing to. A great movie!

Julius Caesar. The "friends, Romans, countrymen" bit carried the entire film. It was genius. That kid spoke Shakespeak like he'd spoken it all his life. His apparent comfort level with the language was astonishing. I don't think I've ever seen anything like that.

• 2 weeks later...

Out of the recent stuff, I'd recommend, in no order what so ever.

- Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (2004)- simply perfect. Fabulous original story you'd think was based on a play or book, but it isn't. Fantastic direction, full of surprises- strong characters and real love.

- Lost in Translation (2003)- great tale of finding friendship.

- Mean Girls (2004)- good for laughs.

- My Summer of Love (2004)- a whirl of same-sex teenage love.

- The Notebook (2004)- more summer romance, great period piece.

- L?on:The Proffessional (1994)- divine performance from an eleven-year-old Natalie Portman, a clip of Gene Kelly on rollerskates in It's Always Fair Weather and a game of charades with fun classical star impersonations.

- The Shawnshank Redemption (1994)- a clip of Gilda and great prison story in all.

- The Green Mile (1999)- a showing of Top Hat and more prison fun.

- The Virgin Suicides (1999)- hauntingly great, adored the pastel colors and instrumental music.

- Fight Club (1999)- beautiful script and special effects.

- Motorcycle Diaries (2004)- true story, an adventure through and through.

- Y tu Mama Tambien (2001)- road trip, friendship, anf full of heart.

That's all, from what I can remember.

//What is the best recent film you have seen?//

Matchpoint is brilliant. A modern-day classic.

It is the best of the ones we've watched recently.

Other best's are:

Cars

Superman Returns

Melinda and Melinda

An Inconvenient Truth

The Yes Men

Bush's Brain

Unprecedented

The Triplets of Belleville

Kiki's Delivery Service

My Neighbour Totoro

Howl's Moving Castle

Castle In The Sky

Nausicaa Of the Valley Of The Wind

Spirited Away

Princess Mononoke

Punch-Drunk Love

X-Men: The Last Stand

The Life Aquatic With Steve Zissou

King Kong 2005

A History of Violence

Mona Lisa Smile

The Piano Teacher

Red Dragon

The Life and Death of Peter Sellers

Madagascar

Jet Lag

Other good ones m'Lady and I have enjoyed of late:

Garfield: A Tail of Two Kitties

Over The Hedge

Bob Le Flambeur 1956

Dominion: Prequel To The Exorcist

A Prairie Home Companion

Magic 1978

Sorcerer 1977

Dirty Mary, Crazy Larry 1974

Zoolander

Fantastic Four

September 11 Revisited

Johnny English

The Crimson Rivers

War of the Worlds 2005

One film we watched recently was a very good production but extremely depressing:

The Constant Gardener

Recently screened films not recommended:

Christmas With The Kranks

Sin City

Prozac Nation

Funny Games

Joe 1970

Exorcist: The Beginning

The Stepford Wives 2004

Crimson Rivers 2: Angels of the Apocalypse

Wonder Boys. It is incredible.

Released since January 1, 2006 the best films I have seen are

1. The New World

2. Cache

3. Inside Man

4. The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada

5. Why We Fight

I am planning to see Robert Altman's "A Prarie Home Companion" and possibly Woody Allen's "Scoop." Woody Allen is doing another comedy and from the trailer it actually looks quite funny (although, as we all know, trailers can be deceptive)

I just watched Stage Beauty last night - and I really enjoyed it. I found that I couldn't forgive Claire Danes for doing what she did to Billy Crudup though - and was a bit angry that he did. Best not to get too emotional, lol. But, I too, really recommend this movie.

About Capote - I totally agree with the conversation about that one, as well. Hoffman was terrific!

TZCutter, you're probably only forced to watch movies anywhere if you're a Scientologist. ;-)

Scarlett

Don't know if it counts as recent, but put me down for "The Royal Tenenbaums." I rented it, watched it, replayed it the minute the credits ended, then bought it second-hand the first chance I had.

It is a family movie in the sense that it explores familial realtionships, it is funny when it tries to be and poignant without being sentimental. An ensemble cast led by Gene Hackman acting a well-crafted script. Bill Murray's best role easily, and maybe Angelica Huston's too.

I think I'm turning into a curmudgeon. I know we can just rent movies but I miss going. I resent never going. And that's what it's come to, because every time I've gone to the movies in the past year or so I've regretted it. Sorely. People don't seem to react to the commercials. I remember when we booed. Now now. They don't know to boo.

And the previews are like being trapped in some kind of scifi nightmare, forced to endure ear-numbing blasts of obscenity and violence ... ok it's official. I am a curmudgeon. I think I belong in 1939.

I am a curmudgeon. I think I belong in 1939.

Billiemarie, are you me in a parallel universe? Boy, have you found the right board!

I haven't been to a movie...well, since before they had cell phones which apparently are allowed to ring in a movie theater. Back when...hah, listen to me...back when I went to movies I decided I had had enough because the movies were junk, the people were rude and talked through the entire movie, and the prices were getting too high.

Now? I'd have to throttle someone if they let their cellphone ring (vibrate, you moron, vibrate, and leave the damned theater) during a movie. So, to avoid the slammer, the lockup, doing 5 to 10, I stay home.

Beverly Hills? Dang, so we've got the coast cities covered in curmudgeonliness. Cool. I'm in New Yawk.

Oh, and my year is 1935 that I want to go back to. :)

dolores

P.S. I've got dibs on Warren William. If he comes to my front door, I can marry him.

Oh, it's just getting unbearable isn't it? Movies are really unattendable! I never thought I'd be unable to get pleasure from going to the movies. And renting them just seems so ... remember that Woody Allen line, "It's important to make an effort once in a while!" But going to a theatre is just like being tortured for me. Too expensive, too loud, too obscene and too many idiots! Have people gotten dumber? Gah!

Warren William huh? I've seen his name a lot but he hasn't grabbed me yet. I'll start paying attention. Oh I'm not really in Beverly Hills, that's just a joke based on my love for Weezer. lol I actually live in Louisiana - hm, maybe that explains all the idiots. Ha! I kid Louisiana. Poor old thing.

Poor old thing indeed. I think it's criminal how LA wasn't restored, but that's politics, and I don't do politics...only religion. :)

Billiemarie, there's a newfangled thing called NetFlix which, if I finally decide to join the 21st century and get a DVD player, I would investigate. Seems like a good idea.

Renting movies is now too much work....have I really gotten that lazy? Besides, I like the idea of putting the movies I want on a list and some Big Brother computer out there sends me the next one on my list.

Do you use NetFlix?

Nah, idiots have taken up residence in New Yawk too. Only here they have a cell phone (or a Blue Tooth) glued to their ears and talk on them loudly in restaurants and supermarkets. Please tell me your idiots have more manners.

Oooops, on topic, lest I get yelled at....wait, I haven't seen a recent film! Sorry!

dolores

"People don't seem to react to the commercials. I remember when we booed.

Some theatres are cutting back on the ads. They've heard the pleas of the people. You can also ascertain the exact start time of the film and arrive then, rather than endure the commercials. I just pretend that they're "short subjects" and "cartoons". ;)

In France, they have a seance; a 45 minute period of commercials. This has been going on for decades. I'm surprised it took American theatres so long in joining with this custom. As I recall -- in France -- it was the hope of the general public that popcorn eating would be completed during the seance, as they look down on the crunching and rattling of popcorn barrels during the movie.

Do you think they would kick me off of here if I took the opportunity to mention I still have to look at Dennis Hastert on CNN who somehow was not driven out of Congress when he said about New Orleans, "It looks like a lot of that place could just be bulldozed?"

I'll never miss an opportunity to remind anyone who'll listen that s.o.b. said that. And is still House Speaker.

I think the idiots are probably worse here, no offense to my fellow Southerners. It's a combination of bad food and humidity (just my theory). What's a Blue Tooth?

I guess I'm going to have to break down and consider Netflix. Bah.

A seance! Those crazy French! Wow, if they find popcorn crunching annoying, they should go to a Friday night movie in Lake Charles, Louisiana. They'd shoot somebody. No wait, French people. They'd be so snotty someone would die!

> Wonder Boys. It is incredible.

>

> Released since January 1, 2006 the best films I have

> seen are

>

> 1. The New World

> 2. Cache

> 3. Inside Man

> 4. The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada

> 5. Why We Fight

>

> I am planning to see Robert Altman's "A Prarie Home

> Companion" and possibly Woody Allen's "Scoop." Woody

> Allen is doing another comedy and from the trailer it

> actually looks quite funny (although, as we all know,

> trailers can be deceptive)

> Wonder Boys. It is incredible. If you liked the movie, READ THE BOOK! Michael Chabon is s really talented writer & I see that Mysteries of Pittsburgh is being filmed. The Adventures of Cavalier & Clay is a terrific novel, & could make a great movie, too.

>

> Released since January 1, 2006

>

> > My favorite recent movies are. . . Constant Gardener & Crash. Brokeback Mountain was incredibly sad. & I really enjoyed Syriana. For some reason, the New World left me cold. Sorry kids, I hated Revenge of the Sith.

Archived