Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
BlackandWhiteCharm

What is the best recent film you have seen?

Piates of the Caribbean 2: Dead Man's Chest

&

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

Enjoyed them both for what they were. One, a Summer Blockbuster; the other an artsy, neo-noir effort that turned out to also be quite funny.

Hello,

Has anyone seen "March Of The Penguins"? I am adding a couple of newer movies to my Netflix queue and I was thinking of adding the penguin movie. Worth a rental?

BTW: My 79 year old mother has asked me every time we talk on the phone (once, or twice, a week) if I have seen "March Of The Penguins". She saw the movie in a theater about 6 months ago...so that adds up to...between 24 and 48 different occasions my mother has asked me, "...have you seen 'March Of The Penguins'?".

Rusty

I very much enjoyed March of the Penguins. I saw it in Ft. Lauderdale in the middle of their heated summer. Seeing all that ice was quite refreshing. The plight and ways of life of these formal fowl was fascinating, and one could do worse than listening to the dulcet tones of Morgan Freeman for a couple of hours.

M'Lady and I both, also, enjoyed March of the Penguins.

A similiar, excellent film is Winged Migration, and it's a bit more dynamic, too.

Jack Burley and SamTherapy,

Thank you for your replies to my "March Of The Penguins" question.

I have another question. "Compulsion" (1959) was released on DVD during May of this year. I have an overwhelming desire to place "Compulsion" in my Netflix queue. Netflix has not seen fit to buy DVDs of "Compulsion". Why? Why...why...why?

I don't expect an answer to my "Compulsion" question...I am (sort of) wondering aloud.

Rusty

I once saw Compulsion on a double-bill with In Cold Blood at a rep house here in San Francisco. What a great and appropriate pairing. I was impressed with the person who did the booking at that theatre.

I wonder if you can request for Netflix to add it to their repetoire?

Has anyone seen "March Of The Penguins"? I am adding a couple of newer movies to my Netflix queue and I was thinking of adding the penguin movie. Worth a rental?>>

Yes. I think you will like it alot. Besides, you'll make your mom happy.

Jack - I didn't know there was a 'real life' thing between Claire Danes and Billy Crudup - I don't know much about modern day actors. In fact, that is the first time I've seen Billy and maybe only the second time I've seen Claire. I was definately talking about the movie, Stage Beauty. I tend to be very unforgiving about characters in movies and I thought her character shouldn't have done what she did to his character, right from the get-go - of course, if she hadn't there wouldn't have been a movie. hehe I know I'm quite illogical sometimes.

I won't begin to tell you of the rant and rave I did when Harrison Ford's character killed off Brad Pitt's character in The Devil's Own. I don't think any movie ever has made me that mad! I went on and on for days. LOL

"Jack - I didn't know there was a 'real life' thing between Claire Danes and Billy Crudup - I don't know much about modern day actors."

They fell in love on the set. The movie plot paled in comparison to the tribulations that took place in real life, I'm sorry to say...

Claire Daines is a talented actress. I always look forward to seeing her on the screen. She was understated and luminous in Shopgirl. Excellent as Meryl Streep's daughter in The Hours.

Thanks for the info, Jack. :-) Yes, that is sad, indeed. Hollywood romances must be so difficult - and romance is difficult enough on it's own.

Has anyone seen "The Devil wears Prada"? It opens in cinemas in October in my neck of woods.

Would love to hear any opinions on this one.

I've seen it -- twice. Yes, I loved it; but much of my life is reflected in it. I'm very familiar with the locales, I work with Prada-wearing devils. Others might not be as enthused as I am about it. I understand that some who have read the book were disappointed that Meryl Streep "humanized" the character. But I imagined she thought it important to make the character three-dimensional. I think she did a formidable job. Another complaint I've heard is that Anne Hathaway's character is too innocent. But it's my understanding that the character hails from a small mid-western town; so this didn't bother me either. My boss has also seen the movie. She called me on Friday to suggested we go see it again -- together. I tell you, we can strongly relate to this movie.

Oh, and I suggest seeing it during the day. I made the mistake of seeing it at night. The problem is that after seeing this movie one is compelled to go shopping, and all the stores are closed that late in the evening.

I'm glad that you mentioned the movie "Just Like Heaven", not because it was a great movie, as a matter of fact I categorize it as entertaining, but I wanted to express my absolute adoration for the main actor of that very movie, Mark Ruffalo. He is my new movie crush, his dark looks, his sexy voice, there is something about him that makes me want to hug him.He is also a great actor, he also did "13 Going On 30 ", with Jennifer Garner, a.k.a, Mrs. Ben Affleck.

A really good recent movie I saw was "An Unfinished Life" with my very first crush, Robert Redford, Morgan Freeman, and Jennifer Lopez.I also really liked "The Prize Winner from Defiance Ohio" with Julianne Moore, it was great,she is always great.

"I wanted to express my absolute adoration for the main actor of that very movie, Mark Ruffalo. He is my new movie crush, his dark looks, his sexy voice, there is something about him that makes me want to hug him.He is also a great actor..."

I agree! The first time that I saw him was in the very good movie You Can Count on Me with Laura Linney (she received an Oscar nomination for this). He gave a multi-layered performance that won him accolades such as the Chicago Film Critics Association Award for Best Actor and a nomination for the Independent Spirit Award. Check it out; it's some of his best work (so far).

The best recent film I have seen is "Thank You for Smoking," which struck me as the kind of film Preston Sturges would make if he were alive today. It was very funny and fast and never had a moment where I thought "This could be better."

"The Devil Wears Prada" was very enjoyable up to about the last 15 minutes, when it became utterly predictable. Still, I am glad I saw it in theaters instead of waiting. The character I liked best was "Emily" played by Emily Blunt (?) She was quite funny, and I think the ending of the movie sagged because she was not around for that part.

""The Devil Wears Prada" was very enjoyable up to about the last 15 minutes, when it became utterly predictable..."

Ah, but I enjoyed the last 30 seconds. "Go!"

It depends what you mean by recent. If you mean so far this year - forget it! There's nothing even worth mentioning.

But if you're willing to include the tail end of last year then, "Brokeback Mountain," by all means. The most moving film I've seen since "Saving Private Ryan." Like Jump Raven, I can't believe it didn't win the Oscar for Best Picture. Although, now that I know how much homophobia exists in the Academy (and in Hollywood) - just ask Tony Curtis and Ernest Borgnine - I shouldn't have been as shocked and upset as I was.

If you haven't treated yourself to this superb film yet, by all mean rent it. It's one of those rare films that touches the heart and gives you a lot to think about.

"The Devil Wears Prada" was predictable, especially if you've ever read any of that sort of book--those "my life doing menial chores for obscenely rich people in the big city" books. Like Devil, The Nanny Diaries, Wolves in Chic Clothing and The Gift Bag Chronicles. A young woman gets a job as a nanny, personal assistant, event planner, etc for the rich and famous and finds herself (temporarily) caught up in it until she finally realizes that the plain old ordinary life she had before is much better than the lives these rich people ar e living, because if they were happy, rich people wouldn't be such complete idiotic jerks. And she gets the guy in the end.

Enjoyable and funny, but not that original.

I agree with you about Matchpoint. Didn't expect to like it at all, but thought it was interesting and well made. I'd also have Brokeback Mountain, Tsotsi and Superman Returns on this list. Oh and Duma, just saw it the other day.

After some thought today, I'm adding Evita to the list. Bold move all the way around, making a full blown musical in the 90's, Madonna doing a project her regular ran base might not respond to. The music is top notch. The fantasy dance sequence with Madonna and Antonio Banderas is a highlight, and he has a surprisingly nice singing voice.

By the way, wondering if anybody out there knows of any other musicals like this, that have little or no dialogue. I can't think of any offhand.