Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What is the best recent film you have seen?

"By the way, wondering if anybody out there knows of any other musicals like this, that have little or no dialogue. I can't think of any offhand."

I believe The Wizard of Oz was originally planned to be done in an operetta style with mostly sung dialogue, but they got cold feet and only the Munchkinland sequence survives in this manner.

There are operas on film -- not just filmed stage works, but operas in a cinematic style as well. (Join us in the Musicals Forum http://forums.tcm.com/jive/tcm/thread.jspa?threadID=82393&tstart=0).

As I recall Tommy and Quadrophenia were done this way. Maybe Jesus Christ Superstar...

If you're like me and love a character driven movie with great conversation then you must see "Nine Lives" from Rodrigo Garcia (on DVD.) It's made up of nine vignettes of women...coming to terms with their "position" in this world...and the people who "touch" their lives...The writing and acting are painfully real and heartfelt...and what an impressive cast-including Robin Wright Penn, Holly Hunter, Amy Brenneman, Mary Kay Place, Lawrence Pressman, Ian McShane, Sissy Spacek, Aidan Quinn, Kathy Baker, Joe Mantegna and (in the final and most heartbreaking vignette) Glenn Close and Dakota Fanning-that kid's got talent!

On a lighter note, I would also recommend "Queer Duck: The Movie "(on DVD.)

It's a hilarious collection of puns, sight gags, show tune parodies, double and triple entendres...all celebrating "gay culture..." and here's the twist-it was written and directed by straight men!

Obviously many of you are not Oprah fans. About 1-1/2 years ago she had, as guests, the entire cast of Crash. The audience saw it just before the show as Oprah often does when she has actors on to plug their movies. This has worked for me in a couple of cases. I don't go to movie houses, I'd rather watch in comfort on HBO or even PPV. From the comments of the actors, and the audience, I couldn't wait to see this film. When it finally came on PPV, I ordered it. As is my routine, whenever I watch a movie for the first time, I throw a tape in, and boy was I glad I did this time. When the movie ended, I hit REW and sat there for a second showing. Later in the evening, not realizing I had chosen an 'all day' channel, I watched it for the third time that day. I told everybody who would listen about this movie, I was that enthralled with it. The movie is about racial tension, but not only black and white, but also Mexican, and Asian. The story moves from one set of people who have an encounter with someone, who, in turn, have an encounter with another set of people, who follow with yet another group, you don't realize until the end that it's gone full circle. The acting is superb, direction better, and the plot keeps you intrigued. I advise anyone to rent it. You will not be sorry whether you love it or hate it.

The comment about Oprah was because 4 or 5 people I talked to, saw her show that day, and it convinced them to go see it.

I know, I talk too much but reading all your faves, I knew a lot of people haven't seen it, it got almost NO advertising at all. I'm talking about the 2005 film with Matt Dillon and Sandra Bullock, not the old one with James Spader (also named Crash).

> By the way, wondering if anybody out there knows of

> any other musicals like this, that have little or no

> dialogue. I can't think of any offhand.

Did anyone mention Umbrellas of Cherbourg? The dialogue is all sung, and in French to boot.

> > By the way, wondering if anybody out there knows

> of

> > any other musicals like this, that have little or

> no

> > dialogue. I can't think of any offhand.

>

> Did anyone mention Umbrellas of Cherbourg? The

> dialogue is all sung, and in French to boot.

No, nobody had, thank you. I'm sure that film is hard to find.

• 3 weeks later...

"V" for Vendetta is my personal fave this year!!! I went to the theater to see it. Luckily the place was pretty scant for viewers. (I noticed some of you have given up on the big screen & I don't blame you) That movie stuck with me for days if not 2 weeks. I went back 2 days later to watch it again, I had to drag my friend to see it, (he thought it was going to be silly like a batman movie). He loved it. It had all this wit, charm and intelligence. Living in a totalitarian society with big brother constantly watching you. Curfews in effect, no art, no music, only what THEY let you have. There is also romance in this movie, a love that can never be. The hero of the movie is someone your not going to forget. If you can check it out on DVD.

In the last 10 years a couple of my favorites are Sling Blade and Napolean Dynamite. Two movies dealing with the depth of friendship in two totally different areas of life!

As I've said, I don't go to the theater, since I pay for HBO and Starz, I wait for the newer ones to get there, it's usually only about 6 months, if that long. HBO gets the newest, and Starz gets the leftovers, so I can see most of them, at one time I had all the movie channels, but found too many parallels.

> "V" for Vendetta is my personal fave this year!!! I

> went to the theater to see it. Luckily the place was

> pretty scant for viewers. (I noticed some of you have

> given up on the big screen & I don't blame you) That

> movie stuck with me for days if not 2 weeks. I went

> back 2 days later to watch it again, I had to drag my

> friend to see it, (he thought it was going to be

> silly like a batman movie). He loved it. It had all

> this wit, charm and intelligence. Living in a

> totalitarian society with big brother constantly

> watching you. Curfews in effect, no art, no music,

> only what THEY let you have. There is also romance in

> this movie, a love that can never be. The hero of the

> movie is someone your not going to forget. If you can

> check it out on DVD.

>

> In the last 10 years a couple of my favorites are

> Sling Blade and Napolean Dynamite. Two movies dealing

> with the depth of friendship in two totally different

> areas of life!

Sling Blade is an amazing film, I'm surprised it doesn't get more play these days. Awesome performance by Billy Bob Thornton.

I think I've mentioned these earlier in this thread, but Duma and Tsotsi(not sure of the spelling) are two great films to catch too, whenever they come on DVD or cable. And Matchpoint was surprisingly an enjoyable film for me. Killer ending. A must see.

Brad

"And Matchpoint was surprisingly an enjoyable film for me. Killer ending."

"Killer ending." Well put, Mr. Ranger.

As for Slingblade, for me the most impressive performance was from John Ritter... Glad to see that someone else saw and appreciated Tsotsi. I listed that one too for this year:

http://forums.tcm.com/jive/tcm/thread.jspa?messageID=7804893

> "And Matchpoint was surprisingly an enjoyable film

> for me. Killer ending."

>

> "Killer ending." Well put, Mr. Ranger.

>

> As for Slingblade, for me the most impressive

> performance was from John Ritter... Glad to see that

> someone else saw and appreciated Tsotsi. I

> listed that one too for this year:

>

> http://forums.tcm.com/jive/tcm/thread.jspa?messageID=7

> 804893?

The theater was about empty when I went to see Tsotsi. But that could be because it was a Saturday matinee well into its run. It's a powerful film.

Mr. Ranger

bradtexasranger and JackBurley,

I appreciate the mention of "Sling Blade" and Billy Bob Thornton and John Ritter, but what about Dwight Yoakam?! In a film of great performances, I thought Yoakam's Doyle Hargraves was the outstanding acting job. The character "Doyle Hargraves" hit close to (my) home. I will elaborate. Twenty-plus years ago, working off shore Gulf Of Mexico, half the people I met on oil rigs existed on what I will call...the "Hargraves curve". Some co-workers were "proto-Hargraves", looking for that significant other to abuse. Some people were "full-Hargraves", had found the significant other and had the police record to prove it. I even worked with one person a few months shy of "post-Hargraves"... and you know what that means.

Rusty

I parked my **** end on the couch both Monday and Tuesday nights to watch Spike Lee's amazing and heartbreaking docmentary When The Levees Broke - a Requiem in Four Acts - I recommend it highly. Having loved Lee's prior documentary called 4 Little Girls I knew I'd like this. I didn't just like it, I loved it and was laughing, crying, and angered all within five minutes at times. Incredible.

Seen and own V For Vendetta and liked it quite a bit. Reminded me of a serial movie being played altogether in a way, and enjoyed that the Wachowski brothers kept control in this rather than the last Matrix flick.

Highly recommend The World's Fastest Indian, and coming out next week on dvd may be one of my fave films of the year Akeelah and the Bee. Outfrigginstanding performance by young KeKe Palmer. I very rarely will opt to buy a movie the day it's released unless it's a classic that I've been dying for. For this I'll be at Sam's next Tuesday.

I had heard that Mr. Lee was making the Katrina documentary and looked forward to seeing it in the theatres. It was only last week that I learned the disappointing news that it was intended for HBO viewing (I'm not a subscriber). Hopefully, it will be released in DVD. I'm a great admirer of Spike Lee's films, so thanks for the tip on 4 Little Girls. I wasn't aware of this one. Was it also made for televison?

Thank you for the reminder of The World's Fastest Indian. This was an excellent film -- based on the true story of New Zealander Burt Munro -- starring Anthony Hopkins (with Diane Ladd in a beautiful cameo). Great story and well told. I've added it to my list of favorite recent flics (earlier in this thread):

http://forums.tcm.com/jive/tcm/thread.jspa?messageID=7804893?

For me, it would have to be Cry Havoc. I have never seen this movie before. It was a very interesting film, not because of the actresses in it, but because of what they experienced during World War II. I really enjoy movies like this one, where it takes you back, so to speak, to the actual days of the war. You can feel for what the soldiers and the nurses went through then. I thought the role of the female lieutenant was done very well. This is a movie that TCM should show again.

> "V" for Vendetta is my personal fave this year!!!

> If you can

> check it out on DVD.

>

Well, I'll just do that, Kathleen.

A friend just gave me a copy of the DVD yesterday, then I read your post today.

Thanks for the recommendation!

Snarf

Message was edited by:

Snarfie

4 Little Girls is also outstanding Jack - in fact it was nominated for an Oscar for the 1997/1998 year but lost out to The Long Way Home.

Spike also directed Inside Man recently and I liked that. It's refreshing to have an intelligent action flick.

I'm still smarting over the fact that Joan Allen was snubbed for an Oscar nom last year as she was excellent in The Upside of Anger, which I've rewatched for the umpteenth time recently.

> I parked my **** end on the couch both Monday and

> Tuesday nights to watch Spike Lee's amazing and

> heartbreaking docmentary When The Levees Broke - a

> Requiem in Four Acts - I recommend it highly.

> Having loved Lee's prior documentary called 4

> Little Girls I knew I'd like this. I didn't

> just like it, I loved it and was laughing, crying,

> and angered all within five minutes at times.

> Incredible.

> Seen and own V For Vendetta and liked it quite

> a bit. Reminded me of a serial movie being played

> altogether in a way, and enjoyed that the Wachowski

> brothers kept control in this rather than the last

> Matrix flick.

>

> Highly recommend The World's Fastest Indian,

> and coming out next week on dvd may be one of my fave

> films of the year Akeelah and the Bee.

> Outfrigginstanding performance by young KeKe Palmer.

> I very rarely will opt to buy a movie the day it's

> released unless it's a classic that I've been dying

> for. For this I'll be at Sam's next Tuesday.

I can't believe I forgot Akeelah and the Bee earlier. I also highly reccomend it. It's a very well made, well acted feel-good movie. Another must-see. Oscar should look kindly on this film.

Brad

"I'm still smarting over the fact that Joan Allen was snubbed for an Oscar nom last year as she was excellent in 'The Upside of Anger', which I've rewatched for the umpteenth time recently.

Joan Allen gives consistently excellent performances, and she was amazing in The Upside of Anger. She's been nominated three times now; surely it's just a matter of time...

Archived