Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Philadelphia Story or High Society?

Kathcat

I watched both of these movies earlier today and I personally like The Philadelphia Story better. I was wondering what other TCM viewers thought.I enjoy musicals a lot,but I didn't hear one song in High Society that I really enjoyed. I also thought that Katharine Hepburn played the part of Tracy better than Grace Kelly.She just made me laugh more.

There's no question in my mind that The Philadelphia Story is the better picture. I caught some of High Society today and was reminded that the coupling of Bing Crosby and Grace Kelly was not very believable in this picture. "True Love" is a charming song; and "Well Did you Evah" is the high point of the movie -- that's about it. The dialogue seems stilted; there's no spark. Margalo Gillmore pales in comparison to Mary Nash, though John Lund is perfect for the thankless role of George Kittredge. I adore Grace Kelly, but she seems out of her element. Crooner Crosby was twenty-five years older than Miss Kelly; and their characters are divorced from each other. How old were these characters when they were married? Creepy! Give me Cary Grant paired with Katharine Hepburn any day.

Definitely Philadelphia Story. High Society was pleasant enough,but it removed all the bite and irony and sophistication from the original. Fifites remakes had a habit of doing that,ie the remake of "The Women. One of the sharpest contrasts is in the role Dinah-the original is a character,whereas the in the remake,she's just a cute little normal girl.

The Philadelphia Story comes out on top for me. As daddysprimadonna wrote, many 50's remakes don't measure up to the originals (what remakes do?). Grace Kelly sounds like good casting for Tracy Lord, but Hepburn took the character far beyond what Kelly could do; Crosby doesn't have the cynicism of Grant, nor the chemistry with Kelly as Grant did with Hepburn. Cole Porter's music is a big plus in High Society, though.

Well, no. But, there is so much about High Society I do like. I thought Grace was perfect for the role of the Goddess. Frank did an admirable job as the befuddled writer, and Celeste was fine as his amore. I, also, loved the Who Wants To Be A Millionare? number. The sets were fabulous, and it was nice to see Louis. But, of course, after all is said and done, no one could beat, Hepburn, Grant, Stewart, Hussey, Mary Nash and Roland Young!

The Philadelphia Story is near perfection, IMHO. I usually really like remakes, musical or otherwise, but High Society left me cold. A lot of it could have to do with the Crosby/Kelly pairing (this coming from an adoring Crosby fan) - I had the same reaction to The Country Girl.

It's very interesting to read all these postings about these two movies. It looks like the consensus is that they are really two very different films with the same basic plot. High Society sacrificed much of the sharp dialog to add the wonderful songs. And it added a blander cast to appeal to a broader, musical film fan base. But really, how can you compare Kelly and Hepburn? It's as the NY Times said in a TV movie schedule review years ago, "the pale green Kelly" versus "the fire and ice Hepburn." This is not to cast aspersions on Kelly, who I think is very good, given the right vehicle. But I do think it's the differences between them that make these movies so different. Imagine Hepburn in High Society, or Kelly in Philadelphia Story. The movies would have been very different with that casting change.

I guess these two movies prove how essential perfect casting is. I mean, Hepburn was born to play Tracy Lord, but can you see her as, say, Melanie Hamilton in GWTW? I don't know about most of you, but I certainly can't. Even though she is a great actress, everyone has their speciality. High Society was simply the same story as the Philiadelphia Story but told differently. Sorry Bing, but if I had to choose between the older you and the younger sinatra... As for Grant vs. Stewart, it would be a harder choice. Not that I dislike Bing in any way, but the age diff was a bit hard to get past.

Yes, the chemistry between Carey Grant and Katharine Hepburn was one of the things I loved most about the movie. When I watched High Society,I just didn't see that. I do think that Bing Crosby and Grace Kelly did great jobs with their performances,but remakes are never as good as the original.

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry that I didn't reply to this earlier but when it was posted my TCM wouldn't ley me post anything, there was some error or something, my dad sorted it earlier today and then I was on holidays! So, The Philadelphia Story is one of my favourite films and even though I quite like High Society, it failed to capture what made the first film so great! And that was the rudness of Tracy, Grace Kelly played her far too nice!!! Plus, as said, there wasn't the right chemistry! And the origanal is hilarious!