Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
kitsy

Stooges

The Three Stooges became my favorite trio when in the early sixties I first saw "The Three Stooges in Orbit". From then on I was hooked on them. They were just starting thier movie career (not the two reelers) at that time and were a hit on television when thier shorts were shown on TV in the afternoons. I was just a kid then and it seemed every kid in the 'hood were watching them., with possible exception to the girls (The stooges always seemed to be a "guy" thing). What are some of your favorite Stooge moments?

I have a biography written by Moe Howard that was barely completed before his death in 1975. In it I learned so much about his life and his brothers Jerome(Curly) and Shemp(Samuel) and how they met Larry Fine. Moe was the driving force that kept them going for years after thier contract with Columbia Pictures ended. Although Columbia finally agreed to making full length features like "The Three Stooges Meet Hurcules" and Thier first "Have Rocket Will Travel" the shorts are the ones I continue to enjoy. Whether Curly or Shemp were featured they are still funny. I could go on with more facts but I have no more time right now. Keep the discussions going!!

Kitsy, I think I read the Moe Howard book,it's called "Hey,Moe!" great behind the scene stuff. There comedy will NEVER die.

vallo

There was a Stooges TV show on every afternoon when I was a kid, but I think I appreciate them much more now. A lot of the humorous asides (and the Yiddishisms) went right over my head when I was younger. I think I now like Larry the best; the way his coat sleeves always come down to his fingertips. But I find them all endearing.

I lived near the neighborhood (Bath Beach in Brooklyn) where the Howards came from - my high school was right up the street from the "Moe House," a house Moe and his relatives literally built themselves - not sure when - 40s or 50s. As far as I know, it's still standing, but no longer occupied by the Horwitz family.

I love the Three Stooges!! I know alot of people think that women don't like them, but I am the exception. There is a show on every Saturday where I live called Stoogapalooza and I try to watch them every week. I agree that I appreciate them more now then when I was younger. It doesn't matter if it is Curly or Shemp, I like them both.

I'm a woman, and I like them too! I never heard anyone say that only guys like them. Maybe it's a regional thing? Since I and my peers are all New Yorkers like the Howards, maybe we just accepted them as men like any others we knew (and there were lots like them when I was little), only funnier. And Larry.

Women in general seem to be accused of not liking some comedy teams. A recent thread unleashed a torrent of comments after Molly Haskell in an intro to "Duck Soup" mentioned she didn't think women liked the Marx Bros.

This thread proves that there are women who like the Stooges. I already know there are women who like Laurel and Hardy (you in particular), Abbott & Costello and Martin & Lewis. To lump all women together is not only unfair but shortsighted.

There are certainly plenty of comedy teams, musical stars, actors, and film genres that may not be pleasing to women generally. However, for discerning film lovers, I think the lists must be entirely a matter of personal taste. And I've rarely met a pratfall I didn't like.

the 3 stooges are the best, ive been watching them since i was a kid and still cant get enough of them. I hope they keep showing them forever, or until i die, which ever comes first, Curly was my favorite, I had a picture of him taped to my back window in my van and people would crack up about it.

I seem to desrve an eye poke or a bonk on the head for suggesting that women don't like The Three Stooges. To all you ladies out there I humbly owe you an apology. I never meant to offend anyone and I hope we can share many more memories and favorite Stooge moments.

Actually the book was titled "Moe Howard and The Three Stooges" published by Citadel Press in 1977 by The Estate of Moe Howard. It was Moes' daughter Joan that was most responsible for getting her Father to write the memoirs. In it are many photos and personal stories by Moe, including his feelings on the deaths of Curly(Jerome) and Shemp(Sam). He writes that when Larry died it was a very sad time in his life. Did you know that Larry, Moe and Shemp were first teamed up with a man named Ted Healy? They were called "Ted Healy His Southern Gentlemen". Moe went by the name Harry Horwitz during his early days.

one of the funniest scenes for me is when they are trying to help curly out of his sweater. They take a hammer, crowbar, and some piece of flat metal to try and get the sweater off. During this whole process you hear this sound that is like bones breaking.

From what I've heard of local Stooge lore, Healy was not the most honorable person, and he tried to cheat the Stooges out of an equitable business arrangement. He never forgave Moe for breaking away from him. I believe that Healy came to a very bad end, beaten to death at a nightclub, an incident that was covered up to some degree by the Hollywood studios. I think Wallace Beery was involved. Is it mentioned in the Moe Howard book referred to here?

Your right about Ted Healy. He was an alcoholic and a con man who exploited The Stooges. Moe never mentions anything about Healys' demise. Shemp, fed up with Healy went on to do films as Knobby Walsh in Joe Palooka movies. That's when Curly joined the team. Moe relates that Curly shaved his head and mustache and said, "If you want me call me Curly!" Also, when Curly was a teenager he accidently shot himself in the foot and it caused him pain throughout his life. To ease the pain he drank also but it never caused a problem and he always gave a hundred percent to his comedic genius. Well, I could go on and on but I have to sign off for now.

Ted Healy exploited the Stooges, he made $30,000 a week and gave the Stooges $100 dollars a week each, split 3 ways. No wonder Shemp hated him and no one felt sorry for his passing.

vallo

Kitsy, have you seen the TV movie about the Stooges? It wasn't half bad.

I just looked up Healy and Beery on wikipedia, granted not the most reliable source. The Healy entry mentions that he was beaten in a nightclub and that there was a coverup, but doesn't mention Beery. The Beery entry does say that Beery and others may have been involved in an altercation with Healy that ended in Healy's death. This is something we've known about for years in Brooklyn (I mentioned that I lived near and went to school in Moe's neighborhood). It was one of those stories that people talked about casually as part of local lore whenever the Stooges or Moe's name came up in conversation.

I'm a woman who loves the Stooges, especially Shemp. And I must admit that I appreciate them maybe just a little more than Laurel and Hardy (my dad's favorites) and the Marx Brothers. When TNT and AMC stations had weekend Stooge marathons about a decade ago, I had two VCRs taping around the clock.

I like the Stooges too, only my tolerance for the beatings is less than it used to be. My favorite is Curly, who looks quite dashing in his studio photograph (which I saw somewhere). Of course, I grew up with Officer Joe Bolton, so my preference for the Stooges is rooted in nostalgia.

I dislike Laurel and Hardy, finding them, respectively, idiotic and cruel.

A funny story...I was recently on vacation and found myself walking in front of three people talking. The man posed the question to his companions, how many Stooges were there? The woman with him said 'three' (duh). I couldn't resist, and held up a hand to signify five. Well, dopey me, I forgot about Shemp, since the answer is six.

It was nice to hear that these guys are still thought of, even in the 21st century.

dolores

>

> This thread proves that there are women who like the

> Stooges. I already know there are women who like

> Laurel and Hardy (you in particular), Abbott &

> Costello and Martin & Lewis. To lump all women

> together is not only unfair but shortsighted.

There are women who don't get the Stooges at all, my mother is one of them, she doesn't get most comedy. But I'm also more apt to see a war movie than a "chick flick". I liked the scene in Lethal Weapon when Mel Gibson finds the boys on Rene Russo's computer and is impressed.

Yes, I do remember the TV movie and I liked it. Wallace Beery was Noah Beery's father, a great charchacter actor in his own right. Also, Joe Besser and Joe DeRita took over as the third stooges after Shemp died. Besser did shorts and DeRita did the movies. There was also Three Stooges cartoons produced and a television show called "Kooks Tour". Not mention comic books, puppets (I owned a Moe puppet when I was six years old in 1961), and I'll never forget the Saturday afternoon reruns on TV. Share some moments of your favorite Stooge memories!

In response to Laurel and Hardy. Maybe idiotic is true but cruel? I'd like to hear more.

Yes, well, I tend to take exception to that characterization myself. I could never, in a million years, think of either the Laurel or Hardy characters as "cruel." Childlike, yes, naif, id-driven, but "cruel?" No. Theirs was an action-reaction behavior, with no cruel intentions that I ever saw. We have the L&H thread going on the board, Kitsy, if you'd like to continue a discussion of their comedy "conceits" there with other enthusiasts (detractors are also welcome for civilized debate), and leave this thread for the Stooges.

By the bye, I think Wallace Beery was Noah Beery's brother, not father. Noah Sr. was the father of Noah Jr., who appeared on "The Rockford Files" as James Garner's father.

I used to watch the Three Stooges with my brothers after school. There are alot of Stooge memories. How about when someone would say "Gentlemen" and the stooges would say "Who came in?" or when they were making beer and "We all put the yeast in" . How about when they were looking for King Rootin-Tootins tomb and they took a cab to Egypt! and who can forget "Dr Howard, Dr. Fine, Dr. Howard" I have alot of happy memories of the Stooges. Does anyone else have any more to add? I will probably add more too.LOL.