Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY! II

Born this day August 29th:

Lead/co-star Rebecca De Mornay is 44.

Attractive blonde actress, in "Risky Business", "The Trip to Bountiful", "Testament", "The Sluggers Wife", "Runaway Train", "Backdraft", "Feds", "The Hand That Rocks the Cradle" (won a few awards), "The Three Musketeers", "Thick as Thieves", "Wedding Crashers", etc.

Married to Patrick O'Neal (Ryan's son) with 2 daughters. Sister-in-law of Tatum O'Neal.

Lead/co-star Elliott Gould is 68.

Tall, curly-haired actor, Oscar nominated best support for "Bob & Carol & Ted & Alice". In "M*A*S*H" (Golden Globe nominee), "I Love My Wife", "The Long Goodbye", "Busting", "Harry and Walter Go to New York", "A Bridge Too far", "The Devil and Max Devlin", "The Night They Raided Minsky's", "Bugsy", "American History X", "Ocean's Eleven", etc.

Divorced from Barbra Streisand (1 son). He and Jennifer Bogart had two children before they wed in 1974 (now divorced). Hosted "Saturday Night Live" 6 times.

Lead/co-star Richard Attenborough is 83 today.

Distinguished British actor/producer/director, won Oscar best director for "Gandhi". In "In Which We Serve", "The Magic Box", "The Great Escape", "The Flight of the Phoenix", "The Sand Pebbles" (won Golden Globe Award), "Doctor Dolittle" (won Golden Globe Award), "10 Rillington Place" a chilling performance, "Jurassic Park", etc.

Married since 1945 (3 children).

For the record: Dynamic performer Michael Jackson is 48 today, and Oscar winning director William Friedkin is 71.

Posthumous

Co-star/support Jackie 'Butch' Jenkins (63) 1937-2001.

Popular freckle-faced, buck-toothed child actor, in "The Human Comedy", "National Velvet", "Our Vines Have Tender Grapes", "Little Mister Jim", "Boy's Ranch", "My Brother Talks to Horses", "The Bride Goes Wild", "Big City", etc.

His childhood earnings were well invested for his future. Left films at the age of eleven when he developed a nervous stutter which never left him, even as an adult.

Co-star/support Isabel Sanford (86) 1917-2004.

Plump comic actress, remembered as 'Weezie' on the hit TV series "The Jeffersons" (won Emmy Award), and as Tillie the servent in "Guess Who's Coming to Dinner". Also in "The New Centurions", "Lady Sings the Blues" as a madam, "Up the Sandbox", "Love at First Bite", "South Beach", etc.

Widowed with 3 children. She was 20 years older than her 'husband' George on "The Jeffersons"

Lead/co-star George Montgomery (84) 1916-2000.

Brawny, virile actor, starred in many westerns. In "Star Dust", "The Cowboy and the Blonde", "Roxie Hart", "Ten Gentlemen from West Point" w/Maureen O'Hara, "Coney Island" w/Betty Grable, "Lulu Belle", "Dakota Lil", "Fort Ti", "Black Patch", "Watusi", etc.

Divorced from songbird Dinah Shore (2 children). Was the youngest of 15 children. An excellent craftsman, he ran a cabinet shop for over 40 years while directing and appearing in action movies. He also designed and built 11 houses for friends and family. Created bronze busts of famous celebrities.

Lead/co-star Ingrid Bergman (67) 1915-1982.

Talented, radiant movie star, won Oscar best actress for "Gaslight", "Anastasia", and for best support in "Murder on the Orient Express". Oscar nominated best actress for "For Whom the Bell Tolls", "Joan of Arc", "The Bells of St. Mary's" (won Golden Globe Award), and "Autumn Sonata". Also in "Intermezzo", "Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde", "Casablanca", "Spellbound", "Notorious", "Indiscreet", "The Inn of the Sixth Happiness", "Cactus Flower", etc.

Married 3 times including to director Roberto Rossellini. Mother of 4 children. Won 2 Emmy Awards in made for TV movies. She died of cancer on her birthday.

On their last meeting, Hitchcock was in tears, terrified of his impending death. Suffering from the cancer that would kill her, Bergman told him, "but of course you are going to die sometime, Hitch, we are all going to die." She later recalled that the comment seemed to bring him peace; it was a bittersweet goodbye. Hitchcock died in 1980, followed by Bergman in 1982.

Lead/co-star Barry Sullivan (81) 1912-1994.

Tall, dark, reliable actor, in "Lady in the Dark", "Suspense", "The Gangster", "Any Number Can Play", "Tension" good noir, "A Life of Her Own", "Payment on Demand", "The Bad and the Beautiful", "Jeopardy", "Cause for Alarm", "Queen Bee" w/Crawford, "Julie", "The Purple Gang", "Harlow", etc.

Married twice (2 children). Had his own TV show.

Co-star/support George Macready (64) 1908-1973.

Essential character actor, specialized in villainy. In "The Seventh Cross", "Gilda" as Hayworth's husband, "Beyond Glory", "The Big Clock", "Detective Story", "A Kiss Before Dying", "Path's of Glory" good role as the cold-hearted general, "Seven Days in May", "Dead Ringer", etc.

Divorced (3 children). Was the miserable Matin Peyton on TVs "Peyton Place".

Co-star/support Joe Sawyer (75) 1900-1982.

Capable character actor in close to 200 films, usually as the bad guy. In "The Westerner", "The Informer", "San Quentin", "Sabotage", "The Roaring Twenties" as the sergeant, "Sergeant York", "Belle Starr", "Swamp Water" good role, "The Outlaw", "Hit the Ice" w/Abbott & Costello, "Gilda", "A Double Life", "The Killing', etc.

He was married twice. AKA Joseph Sauers.

Co-star/support Lurene Tuttle (79) 1906-1986.

Grand character actress, in "Homecoming", "Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House" "Goodbye My Fancy", "Tomorrow Is Another Day", "Don't Bother to Knock", "Niagara", "Slander", "Sweet Smell of Success", "Psycho" as the sheriff's wife, "The Fortune Cookie", "Walking Tall", "The Manitou", etc.

Mother of actress Barbara Ruick. On the TV series "Julia" (Emmy Award nominee).

In memory of those who died this day August 29th:

Will post later today. The plumber is on his way.

Mongo

he plumber finally left and $$$$$$ later, I'm back.

In memory of those who died this day August 29th:

Writer Vicki Baum ('Grand Hotel')) in 1960 at age 72, Oscar nominated dwarf actor ('Ship of Fools') Michael Dunn in 1973 at age 38, character actor Stringer Davis (hubby of Margaret Rutherford) in 1973 at age 77, talented supporting actress Jean Hagen in 1977 at age 54, lovely movie star Ingrid Bergman in 1982 at age 67, dependable character actor Simon Oakland in 1983 at age 68, beautiful blonde screamer Evelyn Ankers in 1985 at age 67, Oscar winning actor Lee Marvin in 1987 at age 63, and kewpie doll-like actress Dixie Dunbar in 1991 at age 72.

Mongo

Plumbers and electricians - when my mother told me to get a trade, I should've taken her advice.

Oh, an addition I must make to today's exhaustive list:

Preston Sturges was born on this day in 1898 and left us [with a lot of laughter, wit and wisdom] on August 6, 1959.

Born this day August 30th:

Lead/co-star Cameron Diaz is 34.

Attractive blue-eyed blonde, nominated for 4 Golden Globe Awards, in "Something About Mary", "Being John Malkovich", "Vanilla Sky", and "Gangs of New York". Also in "The Mask", "She's the One", "A Life Lesson", "Any Given Sunday", "Charlies' Angels", "In Her Shoes", etc.

Is dating Justin Timberlake. Was engaed to Jared Leto, and lived with Matt Dillon. Was a half-time dancer at football games in high school.

Lead/co-star Michael Chiklis is 43.

Bald, stocky actor, won Emmy Award and Golden Globe Award for his strong performance on the gritty TV series "The Shield". In "Wired", "Nixon", "Body and Soul", "Soldier", "Carlo's Wake", "Fantastic Four", etc.

Married since 1992 (2 daughters). Also on TVs "The Commish", he played 'Curly' in a Three Stooges' TV movie, and John Belushi in "Wired".

Co-star/support David Paymer is 52.

Essential character actor, Oscar nominated best support for "Mr. Saturday Night" (also a Golden Globe nominee). In "Howard the Duck", "No Way Out", "Crazy People", "City Slickers", "Quiz Show", "Get Shorty", "Nixon", "City Hall", "Armistad", "In Good Company", etc.

Married since 1988 (2 children). On numerous TV shows including "The Larry Sanders Show". On Broadway in "Grease".

Lead/co-star Timothy Bottoms is 55.

Dependable, talented actor, in "Johnny Got His Gun", "The Last Picture Show" exceptional role, "The Paper Chase", "The White Dawn", "Rollercoaster", "Tin Man", "Invaders from Mars", "Texasville", "The Girl Next Door", etc.

Married twice (4 children). Brother of actors Sam, Ben, and Joseph Bottoms. Won kudos for his portrayal of president George W. Bush.

Lead/co-star Elizabeth Ashley is 66.

Intense, dark-haired actress, in "The Carpetbaggers" (Golden Globe nominee), "Ship of Fools", "92 in the Shade", "Coma", "A Fire in the Sky", "Paternity", "Split Image", "Vampire's Kiss", "Shoot the Moon", "Happiness", etc.

Married 3 times including to George Peppard and James Farentino. On TVs "Evening Shade". A stage actress.

Quoted, "If they don't have Clint Eastwood movies in heaven, I'd rather go to hell".

Posthumous

Co-star/support Julie Bishop (87) 1914-2001.

Attractive movie star, in "Tillie and Gus", "The Black Cat", "The Bohemian Girl" w/Laurel & Hardy, "The Hard Way", "Northern Pursuit", "Rhapsody", "The Sands of Iwo Jima", "Westward the Women" as Denise Darcel's sister, "The High and the Mighty", "The Big Land", etc.

Married 3 times (2 children). AKA Jacqueline Wells.

A licensed pilot, she also painted stills. She died on her birthday.

Lead/co-star Fred MacMurray (83) 1908-1991.

Durable, under-rated movie star, in "The Gilded Lily", "Alice Adams", "The Trail of the Lonesome Pine", "Dive Bomber", "Above Suspicion", "Double Indemnity" outstanding performance, "Murder, He Says" hilarious, "The Egg and I", "Miracle of the Bells", "Family Honeymoon", "Never a Dull Moment", "The Caine Mutiny", "Pushover" w/Kim Novak, "The Apartment" good role, "The Absent Minded Professor", etc.

Married twice including to June Haver. Father of 4 adopted children. On the hit TV series "My Three Sons". One of his favorite co-stars is Barbara Stanwyck.

Quoted, "The two films I did with Billy Wilder, 'Double Indemnity' and the 'The Apartment' are the only two parts I did in my entire career that required any acting."

Lead/co-star Joan Blondell (73) 1906-1979.

Brassy blonde movie star with a heart of gold, Oscar nominated best support for "The Blue Veil". In "Public Enemy", "Blonde Crazy", "The Crowd Roars", "Footlight Parade", "Dames", "Topper Returns", "Cry Havoc", "A Tree Grows In Brooklyn" fine role as Aunt Sissy, "Adventure" w/Gable, "Nightmare Alley" good movie w/Tyrone Power, "The Opposite Sex", "Desk Set", "Angel Baby", "The Cincinnati Kid" (Golden Globe nominee best support), "Opening Night", "Grease", etc.

Married 3 times including to Dick Powell and Michael Todd. Sister of Gloria Blondell. On the TV series "Here Come the Brides" (Emmy Award nominee). Also nominated for a Tony Award.

She co-starred with James Cagney more times than any other actress. James Cagney said that the only woman he loved other than his wife was Blondell. Didn't we all.

Lead/co-star Shirley Booth (94) 1898-1992.

Delightful, frumpy actress, won Oscar best actress for her outstanding performance as Lola in "Come Back Little Sheba" (also won the Golden Globe Award and the New York Film Critics Award). In "About Mrs. Leslie" w/Robert Ryan, "The Matchmaker" as Dolly Levi, "Hot Spell" w/Anthony Quinn, etc.

Married twice including to radio/TV actor Ed Gardner. A grand Tony Award winning stage actress. Was TVs "Hazel" (won 2 Emmy Awards).

Quoted, "Burt Lancaster advised me against doing 'Hazel.' 'Don't do television,' he warned. 'It'll ruin you!' Burt is a doll and a heck of an actor, but I'm glad I didn't follow his advice. Everybody under forty knows me better from 'Hazel,' not from my movies!"

Lead/co-star Raymond Massey (86) 1896-1983.

Tall, gaunt, talented actor, Oscar nominated best actor for "Abe Lincoln in Illinois". In "The Old Dark House", Things to Come" good sci-fi, "The Hurricane", "Santa Fe Trail", "Arsenic and Old Lace", "The Woman in the Window", "Possessed" w/Crawford, "The Fountainhead", "Battle Cry", "Come Fill the Cup" w/Cagney, "East of Eden" as James Dean's dad, "Mackenna's Gold", etc.

Married 3 times (3 children including actor Daniel Massey). Also a stage star. Co-starred on the TV series "Dr. Kildare".

Died on the same day as David Niven.

Co-star/support Eduardo Ciannelli (80) 1889-1969.

Essential character actor, usually a bad guy, in over 100 films. In "Winterset", "Marked Woman", "Gunga Din" as the evil Guru, "Strange Cargo", "Foreign Correspondent", "The Mummy's Hand", "Kitty Foyle", "The Mask of Dimitrios", "Dillinger", "Gilda", "The Creeper", "Houseboat", "The Brotherhood", etc.

Married 50 years (2 sons). Appeared on stage (a Tony Award nominee).

In memory of those who died this day August 30th:

Grand character actor Charles Coburn in 1961 at age 84, character actor Del Moore in 1970 at age 54, lovely dancer Vera-Ellen in 1981 at age 60, dependable character actor Joe De Santis in 1989 at age 80, director Lindsay Anderson in 1994 at age 71, attractive movie star Julie Bishop in 2001 at age 87, and tough-guy movie star Charles Bronson in 2003 at age 81.

Mongo

Born this day August 31st:

Lead/co-star Chris Tucker is 34.

Comedy actor who made a splash as Detective James Carter in the hit movie "Rush Hour" with Jackie Chan (also in "Rush Hour" II). In "Friday" as Smokey, "Panther", "Dead Presidents", "Money Talks", "Jackie Bown", etc.

Has a son Destin. On numerous TV shows. After a 6 year absence he is filming "Rush Hour III" and will receive $25 million dollars. Quoted, "I will always do stand-up, even if my acting career takes off. Stand-up is my life."

Lead/co-star Richard Gere is 57.

Dependable, good-looking actor, in "Baby Blue Marine", "Looking for Mr. Goodbar", "Days of Heaven", "Bloodbrothers", "Yanks", "American Gigolo", "An Officer and a Gentleman" good role, "Breathless", "The Cotton Club", "King David", "No Mercy", "Pretty Woman" (Golden Globe nominee), "Sommersby", "Runaway Bride", "Unfaithful", "Chicago" (he won Golden Globe Award), "Shall We Dance", etc.

Married with 1 son Homer. Divorced from Cindy Crawford. Has been a Buddhist for over a decade.

Co-star/support Warren Berlinger is 69.

Chunky, reliable actor, in "Teenage Rebel", "Three Brave Men", "Blue Denim" good role, "Because They're Young", "All Hands on Deck", "Billie" w/Patty Duke, "Spin Out" w/Elvis, "Thunder Alley", "The Long Goodbye", "Lepke", "The Cannonball Run", "Hero", etc.

Is married to starlet Betty Lou Keim (4 children). Is the nephew of Milton Berle. Last on screen in 2003.

Posthumous

Co-star/support Argentina Brunetti (98) 1907-2005.

Essential character actress, epitomized the 'Italian Mama' on screen. In "It's a Wonderful Life" as Mrs. Martini, "Tenth Avenue Angel", "Knock on Any Door", "The Red Danube", "The Great Caruso", "Force of Arms", "The Fighter" w/Richard Conte, "When in Rome", "The Caddy" in which Dean Martin sang "That's Amore" to her, "The Brothers Rico", "Fatso", etc.

Widowed with 1 son Mario. Daughter of actress Mimi Aguglia. Appeared on numerous TV shows. She finished her autobiography "In Sicilian Company".

Go to argentinabrunetti.com for a look at this woman and her long association with numerous stars.

Lead/co-star James Coburn (74) 1928-2002.

Lean, versatile actor, won Oscar best support for "Affliction". In "The Magnificent Seven" (only surviving member is Robert Vaughn), "Hell Is for Heroes", "The Great Escape", "Charade", "The Lonely One", "Our Man Flint" good role, "Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid", "Bite the Bullit", "Hard Times", "Hudson Hawk", "Maverick", "Snow Dogs", etc.

Married twice (2 children). Grandson of Charles Coburn. He had a passion for martial arts, playing cards, and Cuban cigars.

Co-star/support Buddy Hackett (78) 1924-2003.

Chubby comic actor, in "Walking My Baby Back Home", "God's Little Acre", "All Hands on Deck", "The Music Man", "Muscle Beach Party", "It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World", "The Love Bug", "Scrooged", "Paulie", etc.

Married 48 years (3 children). Also a busy TV actor. He served in WWII.

Lead/co-star Richard Basehart (70) 1914-1984.

Impressive, underrated actor, in "Cry Wolf", "He Walked by Night" outstanding role, "Time Limit", "Roseanna McCoy", "Tension" good noir w/Audrey Totter, "Fourteen Hours" good role, "The House on Telegraph Hill", "Decision Before Dawn", "Titanic" w/Stanwyck, our star of the day on TCM, "The Good Die Young", "La Strada", "Moby Dick", "The Intimate Stranger", "Portrait in Black", "Rage" good movie, "Being There", etc.

Married 3 times including to Valentina Cortese. Father of 3 children. Appeared on Broadway and TV.

Died of a series of strokes shortly after hosting the closing ceremonies of the 1984 Los Angeles Olympics.

Lead/co-star Fredric March (82) 1897-1975.

Essential and talented movie star, won Oscar best actor for "Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde", and for "The Best Years of Our Lives". Oscar nominated for "The Royal Family of Broadway", "A Star Is Born", and "Death of a Salesman". In "The Wild Party", "Sign of the Cross", "Death Takes a Holiday", "The Barretts of Wimpole Street", "Les Miserables", "Anna Karenina", "Nothing Sacred" w/Lombard, "One Foot in Heaven", "I Married a Witch" didn't get along with Veronica Lake, "Executive Suite", "Middle of the Night" (Golden Globe nominee best actor), "Inherit the Wind" good role, "Seven Days in May" (Golden Globe nominee), etc.

Married twice including to Florence Eldridge (2 children). A Tony Award winning Broadway star.

Co-star/support Claire Du Brey (100) 1892-1993.

Dependable silent screen actress. Also in talkies including "Politics" and "Prosperity" with close friend Marie Dressler, "Viva Villa!", "Jane Eyre", "The Devil-Doll", "Ramona" w/Loretta Young, "Nothing Sacred", "Jesse James", "All This, and Heaven Too", "Now, Voyager" as Hilda, "Ace in the Hole" aka "The Big Carnival", etc.

Also a busy TV performer, she retired at age 76.

In memory of those who died this day August 31st:

'Our Gang' member Billy 'Froggy' Laughlin in 1948 at age 16, cool dependable actor Dennis O'Keefe in 1968 at age 60, prolific filmmaker John Ford in 1973 at age 79, silent screen star and fan dancer Sally Rand in 1979 at age 75, reliable British actor David Farrar in 1995 at age 87, dependable character actress Carmen Mathews in 1995 at age 81, lovely actress Marguerite Chapman in 1999 at age 81, and attractive starlet Patricia Owens in 2000 at age 75.

Also boxing champ Rocky Marciano, killed in plane crash in 1969 at age 45, and lovely Princess Diana killed in auto accident in 1997 at age 36.

Mongo

It's a shame Billy 'Froggy' Laughlin died so young. He was on a scooter when hit by a truck. Apparently his voice sounded that way because of a faulty tonsilectomy. Rough life. Billy Jack wasn't his brother, but Mickey Laughlin was.

Gerb, ironically 'Froggy' did have an older brother Tom Laughlin, but it wasn't 'Billy Jack'.

The 'Froggy' family came from California while 'Billy Jack' was born in Minnesota.

Sadly, after "Our Gang" was over, 'Froggy' was riding double with a friend delivering newspapers on a old three-lane highway in La Puente when a truck hit him from behind and killed him. He was only 16.

Thanks Jack and Mongo,

I read that older brother bit on imdb and was curious if it was the same Tom. Thanks for the info. Incidentally Mongo, I noticed that Dr. Jekyll didn't add up today.

Gerb

Oh, I thought you were referring to his movie "Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde".

In any event you are correct. Mr. March was 77 when he passed away. I gave the gent five more years of life. If only.

I'm posting early AM Saturday September 1st. since I have an appointment in the morning.

Born this day September 1st:

Co-star/support Don Stroud is 63.

Reliable, beefy actor, usually played a bad guy. In "Games", "Coogan's Bluff", "Joe Kidd", "Madigan", "Bloody Mama", "The House by the Lake" evil personified, "The Choir Boys", "The Amityville Horror", "The Buddy Holly Story", etc.

He and his wife live in Hawaii. Was once one of the top ranked surfers in the world, and has a black belt in Karate. Also on TV, last on screen in 1998. Posed nude for Playgirl in 1973.

Lead/co-star Lily Tomlin is 67.

Versatile actress/comedienne, Oscar nominated best support for "Nashville". In "The Late Show" (Golden Globe nominee), "Moment to Moment" a dud w/John Travolta, "Nine to Five", "The Incredible Shrinking Woman", "All of Me" (Golden Globe nominee), "Big Business", "Shadows and Fog", "Short Cuts", "The Beverly Hillbillies" as Miss Jane, "The Prairie Home Companion", etc.

Has had a relationship with writer Jane Wagner for over 30 years. Became popular on the TV series "Laugh-In" with her assortment of zany characters. She has won 4 Emmy Awards.

Co-star/support Joyce Holden is 76.

Pretty blonde starlet, in "The Milkman" w/Donald O'Connor, "Iron Man" w/Jeff Chandler, "You Never Can Tell" delightful movie, "Bronco Buster", "Girls in the Night" a guilty pleasure, "Murder Without Tears", "The Werewolf", etc.

Also on TV. In later years she devoted herself to helping the Salvation Army (at a branch posted in Brooklyn in my old neighborhood).

Lead/co-star George Maharis is 78.

Handsome, brooding actor, remembered as Buzz on the TV series "Route 66" (Emmy nominee best actor). In "Exodus", "Quick Before it Melts", "Sylvia", "The Satan Bug" good role, "The Happening", "The Desperados", etc.

A confirmed bachelor, he is into impressionistic painting. On the TV mini-series "Rich Man, Poor Man", and also did off-Broadway shows. Posed nude for Playgirl in the 1970s. Is now retired.

Lead/co-star Yvonne De Carlo is 84 today.

Beautiful, exotic-looking actress, remembered as Lily Munster on the outrageous TV series "The Munsters". In "Kismet", "Salome, Where She Danced", "Brute Force", "Casbah", "Criss Cross", "Scarlet Angels", "Sombrero", "Sea Devils", "The Ten Commandments" as the wife of Moses, "Death of a Scoundrel", "Band of Angels" w/Gable, "McLintock!", "Liar's Moon", "American Gothic" good role, etc.

Married only once (2 sons). Was a hot tamale during her days in Hollywood. On Broadway, she is a Tony Award nominee. Has gained weight in recent years.

Posthumous

Lead/co-star Ron O'Neal (66) 1937-2004.

Dependable African-American actor, scored big as Priest in the movie "Superfly". Also in "A Force of One", "When a Stranger Calls" the chilling original, "St. Helens", "Red Dawn", "Trained to Kill", "Gangsters", "On the Edge", etc.

Was married at the time of his death. On the TV series "The Equalizer", and has done theatre work (won awards). Had a superb singing voice and loved to sing opera.

Co-star/support Anne Ramsey (58) 1919-1988.

Wonderful, gruff and tough character actress, Oscar nominated best support for "Throw Momma from the Train" (also a Golden Globe nominee). In "Up the Sandbox", "For Pete's Sake", "Fun with Dick and Jane", "Any Which Way You Can", "The Goonies" as mean Mama Fratelli, "Weeds", ""Scrooged", "Homer and Eddie" etc.

Married to actor Logan Ramsey. On TV and Broadway.

She still continued to work even months before her death. Ramsey died of throat cancer at the Motion Picture and Television Hospital in Los Angeles. In real life, she was a sweetheart.

Lead/co-star Vittorio Gassman (77) 1922-2000.

Essential Italian actor, in "Bitter Rice", "Anna", "Sombrero", "The Glass Wall" good role, "Rhapsody", "Mambo", "War and Peace", "Tempest", "Barabbas", "A Wedding", "Sleepers", etc.

Married 3 times including to Shelley Winters (1 daughter Vittoria). Won numerous awards in Italian films.

Lead/co-star Richard Farnsworth (80) 1920-2000.

Grand character actor, Oscar nominated best support for "Comes a Horseman", and for best actor in "The Straight Story" (won New York Films Critics Award). In "Red River", "The Cowboys", "Ulzana's Raid", "Monte Walsh", "Tom Horn", "Resurrection" good role, "The Gray Fox" (Golden Globe nominee), "The Natural", "Rhinestone", "Misery" as the sheriff, "The Getaway", etc.

Was married 38 years (2 children). A Former stunman. Diagnosed with cancer, he took his own life.

Lead/co-star Johnny Mack Brown (70) 1904-1974.

Husky, appealing cowboy star in over 100 'B' westerns with his horse Rebel. Also in "Our Dancing Daughters" w/Joan Crawford, "Coquette" w/Mary Pickford, "A Lady of Chance" w/Norma Shearer, "A Woman of Affairs" w/Garbo, "The Valiant" w/Muni, "Female", "Belle of the Nineties" w/Mae West, "Forever Yours", etc.

Was married with 1 daughter.

Lead/co-star Richard Arlen (77) 1898-1976.

Ruggedly handsome actor began in silent films and starred in the Oscar winner "Wings". Also in "Ladies of the Mob", "The Virginian", "Alice in Wonderland", "Wildcat", "When My Baby Smiles at Me", "Sabre Jet", "The Best Man", "Anzio", etc.

Married 3 times (1 son).

Also remembering my mom today, who I miss with all my heart. She was a big movie buff whose heart-throb was Robert Taylor. Happy Birthday mom.

In memory of those who died this day September 1st.

Folksy character actor Frank Craven in 1945 at age 70, splendid character actress/singer Ethel Waters in 1977 at age 80, silent screen actress Doris Kenyon is 1979 at age 81, classy blonde actress Ann Harding in 1981 at age 80, solid supporting actor Murray Hamilton in 1986 at age 63, reliable character actor Morris Carnovsky in 1992 at age 94, capable character actress Benay Venuta in 1995 at age 84, and dependable supporting actor Rand Brooks (Charles Hamilton in GWTW) in 2003 at age 84.

Mongo

Born this day September 2nd:

Lead/co-star Salma Hayek is 40.

Beautiful Mexican Actress, Oscar nominated best actress for her role as "Frida" (she won Golden Globe Award). In "Desperado", "From Dusk Till Dawn", "Dogma", "Wild Wild West", "Traffic", "Hotel", "Once Upon a Time in Mexico", "Bandidas", etc.

Had relationship with actor Edward Norton, whic is now kaput. Was a soap star in Mexico.

Lead/co-star Keanu Reeves is 42.

Gangly, vacant-looking actor, in "River's Edge", "The Night Before", "Paenthood", "I Love You to Death", "Point Blank", "My Own Private Idaho", "Dracula", "Speed", "A Walk in the Clouds", "The Matrix" and the sequels, in which the special effects outshined the acting, "Something's Gotta Give", "The Lake House", etc.

His best friend is his sister. He loves ballroom dancing. Quoted, "I'm Mickey Mouse. They don't know who's inside the suit."

Lead/co-star Mark Harmon is 55.

Reliable, good-looking actor, in "Comes a Horseman", "Beyond the Poseidon Adventure", "Let's Get Harry", "Summer School", "The Presidio", "Stealing Home", "Wyatt Earp", "Freaky Friday", etc.

Married to Pam Dauber since 1987 (2 sons). Son of football star Mark Harmon and actress Elyse Knox. Was nominated for an Emmy Award and Golden Globe award numerous times for his TV work.

Co-star/support Chuck McCann is 72.

Stocky, comedic actor, in "The Heart Is a Lonely Hunter" good role, "The Projectionist", "Jennifer on My Mind", "Herbie Rides Again", "Silent Movie", "Foul Play", "Ladybugs", "Dracula: Dead and Loving It", etc.

Married 4times (3 children). A TV staple on numerous childrens shows, including "Rootie Kazootie". A big fan of Laurel & Hardy, he hosted a show which featured many of their films.

Lead/co-star Marge Champion is 87 today.

Attractive, talented dancing star, teamed with husband Gower Champion in MGM musicals. In "Show Boat", "Lovely to Look at", "Everything I Have Is Yours", "Jupiter's Darling", "Three for the Show". Went solo in "The Party" and "The Swimmer".

AKA Marjorie Bell, a leading lady in 'B' westerns.

With husband Gower she had a son. Also married to director Boris Sagal, who died on location in a helicopter accident in 1981.

She was the cartoonist model for Disney's 'Snow White', and the 'Blue Fairy' in "Pinocchio".

She won an Emmy Award for her choreography.

Posthumous

Co-star/support Amanda Randolph (70) 1896-1967.

Delightful African American character actress, in "No Way Out", "The Iron Mistress", "Mister Scoutmaster", "A Man Called Peter", "Heller in Pink Tights", "Pocketful of Miracles", etc.

She played Sapphire's mama on TVs "Amos 'n' Andy". Also as "Beulah" for a season, and as Louise on "Make Room for Daddy".

Co-star/support Jack Norton (76) 1882-1958.

Dependable character actor, a dapper gent with pencil mustache, was Hollywood's parennial drunkard. In "Dantes Inferno", "A Day at the Races", "Jezebel", "The Roaring Twenties", "The Ghost Breakers", "The Bank Dick", "The Palm Beach Story", "Cover Girl", "Blue Skies", etc.

A married man, he actually preferred to drink tea. Also in many comedy shorts. He was often clad in evening clothes and satin high hat.

Birthday wishes go out to former boardmember ElinorKrieger aka Sue today. She often took an interest in the numerous films I list daily, which is my intention.

In memory of those who died this day September 2nd.

Handsome crooner Russ Columbo in 1934 at age 26, comedic character actor Eddie Collins in 1940 at age 57, essential character actor Jay Novello in 1982 at age 78, teen favorite Troy Donahue in 2001 at age 65, and comedy actor Bob Denver in 2005 at age 70.

Mongo