Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY! II

Addition:

Supporting actor Meinhardt Rabbe is 91 today.

Delightful dwarf actor whose only claim to fame is in "The Wizard of Oz" (1939). Dressed in black, he played the singing coroner in the classic film.

His nickname is Meiny. He Appeared as a featured guest on the April 11, 2005 Jimmy Kimmel Show.

Sadly, in 1997 the Raabes' station wagon crashed into a van that had stopped for a turn near their home at the Penney Farms retirement community. His wife Marie of 50 years died of injuries sustained in the accident.

Born this day September 3rd:

Lead/co-star Charlie Sheen is 41.

Dependable, good-looking actor, in "Red Dawn", "Lucas", "Platoon", "Wall Street" good role, "Young Guns", "Major League", "The Rookie", "Hot Shots", "Terminal Velocity", "Five Acres", "Rated X", etc.

Married twice including to Denise Richards (2 children). Also has a daughter from a relationship. Son of Martin Sheen and brother of Emilio Estevez. On the TV series "Spin City" and currently "Two and a Half Men" (Emmy Award and Golden Globe nominee best actor). Was once heavy into drugs and alcohol abuse.

Lead/co-star Valerie Perrine is 63.

Voluptuous actress with a cute-as-a-button face, Oscar nominated best actress for her role in "Lenny" (she won the New York Film Critics Award). In "Slaughterhouse-Five", "The Last American Hero", "W.C. Fields and Me", "Superman", "The Electric Horseman", "Can't Stop the Music", "The Border", "What Woman Want", etc.

A former Las Vegas showgirl, she also did stage work.

Her fiance, a wealthy Los Angeles playboy and gun collector whom she met while a Las Vegas showgirl, accidentally shot himself to death after a gun discharged, ricocheted off a door and pierced his lung. They were to be married a month later. She never married despite numerous relationships.

Lead/co-star Pauline Collins is 66.

Talented British actress, Oscar nominated best actress as "Shirley Valentine". Also in "City of Joy", "Paradise Road", "Mrs Caldicot's Cabbage War", "One Life Stand", etc.

Married since 1969 (3 children). A Tony Award winner, she also appears on TV.

Co-star/support Eileen Brennan is 68.

Striking, delightful character actress, Oscar nominated best support for "Private Benjamin". In "The Last Picture Show", "Scarecrow", "The Sting" as Newman's girl, "Daisy Miller", "At Long Last Love", "Hustle", "Murder by Death", "The Cheap Detective", "Clue", "Texasville", etc.

Divorced (2 sons). On Broadway and TV (Emmy Award and Golden Globe nominee). On the TV series "Laugh-In", "Private Benjamin", "7th Heaven" and "Will & Grace".

She was hit by a car and seriously injured in 1982. After a long recovery she returned to work.

Co-star/support Anne Jackson is 80.

Dependable, red-haired actress, in "So Young So Bad" w/Anne Francis, "The Journey", "Tall Story", "The Tiger Makes Out", "Lovers and Other Strangers", "Dirty Dingus Magee", "The Bell Jar", "The Shining", "Folks!", etc.

Married to Eli Wallach since 1948 (3 children). A prominent stage actress.

Co-star/support Mary Grace Canfield is 80.

Petite character actress, usually with a sour-puss, remembered as Ralph on the TV series "Green Acres". In "Pollyanna" as Angelica the housekeeper, "Come Blow Your Horn", "Don't Make Waves", "Half a House", "Something Wicked This Way Comes", etc.

Last on screen in 1993.

Lead/co-star Irene Pappas is 80.

Regal Greek actress, in "Attila", "The Guns of Navarone", "Zorba the Greek", "Anne of the Thousand Days", "Z", "The Trojan Women", "A Dream of Kings", "The Brotherhood", "Bloodline", "Island", etc.

Divorced. She was discovered by Elia Kazan.

She was a dear friend of Katharine Hepburn, with whom she starred in "The Trojan Women". Hepburn once said that she is "one of the best actresses in the history of cinema".

Co-star/support Kitty Carlisle is 96 today.

Elegant actress/singer, remembered as a panelist on the TV game show "To Tell the Truth". In "She Loves Me Not", "Here Is My Heart" w/Bing Crosby, "A Night at the Opera", "Hollywood Canteen", "Radio Days" good nostalgia, "Six Degrees of Separation", etc.

Widowed, she was married to playwright Moss Hart (2 children). An opera singer, she is still appearing at supper clubs.

Quoted, "I never remarried. When you've had the best of it, why fiddle around? Moss was so wonderful. He was so witty and it was such fun to be with him. I loved it and I loved him."

Posthumous

Lead/co-star Alan Ladd (50) 1913-1964.

Popular, blond-haired movie star who stood 5'5". In "The Howards of Virginia", "Citizen Kane", "This Gun for Hire", "The Glass Key", "Lucky Jordan", "The Blue Dahlia", "Whispering Smith", "The Great Gatsby", "Captain Carey U.S.A.", "Branded", "Red Mountain", "Shane" outstanding performance, "The McConnell Story", "Boy on a Dolphin" w/Loren, "The Proud Rebel" w/son David, "The Carpetbaggers", etc.

Married twice including to Sue Carol (3 children). Teamed with Veronica Lake in 7 successful films at Paramount. Won Golden Globe Award for World Film Favorite. His nickname was Laddie.

Attempted suicide in 1962. He died of an accidental combination of alcohol and sedatives. According to his biography, the end of his affair with June Allyson, his co-star in "The McConnell Story" (1955), led to his late life depression.

Co-star/support Mantan Moreland (71) 1902-1973.

Hilaious African-American comedy star, remembered as chauffeur Birmingham Brown in the 'Charlie Chan" series of films at Monogram Studios. Also in "The Green Pastures", "Star Dust", "Maryland", "King of the Zombies", "Birth of the Blues", "Tarzan's New York Adventure", "Cabin in the Sky", "Captain Tugboat Annie", "Enter Laughing", "The Comic", etc.

Married with 1 child. Unlike other studios' treatment of their black performers, however, Monogram considered him of such importance to them that his name always appeared high on the cast list of his films.

In memory of those who died this day September 3rd:

Essential portly character actor Eugene Pallette in 1954 at age 65, Oscar winning actor James Dunn in 1967 at age 65, lovely supporting actress Barbara O'Neil (mother O'Hara in GWTW) in 1980 at age 70, and outstanding director Frank Capra in 1991 at age 94.

Mongo

Born this day September 4th:

Lead/co-star Damon Wayans 46.

Outrageous 'bald' comic, in "Beverly Hills Cop", "Roxanne", "Colors", "Earth Girls Are Easy", "Punchline", "The Last Boy Scout", "Mo' Money", "Blankman", "Bamboozled", etc.

Divorced (4 children). A stand-up comic he stared on the TV series "In Living Color", and "My Wife and Kids". Brother of Keenen Ivory Wayans.

Co-star/support Jennifer Salt is 62.

Attractive starlet, in "The Wedding Party", "Midnight Cowboy" as the rape victim, "The Revolutionary", "Brewster McCloud", "Play It Again Sam", "Sisters", "It's My Turn", etc.

Daughter of screenwriter Waldo Salt and actress Mary Davenport. Longtime friend of Jill Clayburgh. Is a staff writer on the TV series "Nip/Tuck".

Lead/co-star Mitzi Gaynor is 75 today.

Vivacious actress/dancer, nominated for a best actress Golden Globe Award in "South Pacific". In "My Blue Heaven", "Goldengirl", "Bloodhounds on Broadway", "The I Don't Care Girl", "Down Among the Sheltering Palms", "There's No Business Like Show Business", "Anything Goes", "The Joker Is Wild" w/Sinatra, "Les Girls", "Surprise Package" w/Yul Brynner, etc.

Is married 50 years. A star of theatre, nightclubs and TV specials.

Posthumous

Co-star/support Howard Morris (85) 1919-2005.

Quicksilver comedic character actor, in "Boy's Night Out", "40 Pounds of Trouble", "The Nutty Professor", "Way...Way Out", "Don't Drink the Water", "High Anxiety", "History of the World: Part I", "Splash", "Life Stinks", etc.

Married with 4 children. On oodles of TV shows notably "Your Show of Shows" and "The Andy Griffith Show". Voiced numerous cartoon characters. Performed with Army Tour Productions during WWII.

Co-star/support Leonard Frey (49) 1938-1988.

Talented actor, Oscar nominated best support for "Fiddler on the Roof". In "Finnegan's Wake", "The Boys in the Band", "Tell Me That You Love Me Junie Moon" w/Liza, "Up the Academy", "Tattoo", etc.

A Tony Award nominee, he died of AIDS.

Co-star/support Richard S. Castellano (55) 1933-1988.

Essential, stocky character actor, Oscar nominated best support for "Lovers and Other Strangers". Also remembered as henchman Clemenza for the Corleone family in "The Godfather". In "A Fine Madness", "Love with the Proper Stranger", "Night of the Juggler", "Gangster Wars", etc.

Married to actress Ardell Sheridan who played his wife in "The Godfather". Had his own TV series "The Super". A stage actor and Tony Award nominee.

Specialized in playing overweight characters (which most likely attributed to his death of a heart attack).

Co-star/support Dick York (63) 1928-1992.

Gangly, talented actor, remembered as the original Darren on the hit TV series "Bewitched" for 5 seasons (Emmy Award nominee best actor). In "Last Date", "My Sister Eileen", "Operation Mad Ball", "Cowboy", "They Came to Cordura" (suffered back injury on location), "Inherit the Wind" good role, etc.

Married 40 years (5 children). A cronic back ailment forced him to leave "Bewitched". Was left impoverished in 1976 after a real estate investment failed, and was on welfare for a time.

Restricted to a wheelchair, he spent most of his time on the telephone raising money for the homeless and getting people to donate food and clothing.

Producer/narrator Pete Smith (86) 1892-1979.

Comedic character, produced and narrated close to 200 "Pete Smith Specialties" comedy shorts, which are presented on TCM. The shorts were nominated for 16 Oscars, winning 2. Usually at the end of each short he would say "G'bye now".

Most of the films featured actor Dave O'Brien as the hapless character.

Widowed with 1 son Douglas. Plagued by increasingly worsenening health in his last years, he committed suicide by jumping from his ninth-floor hospital room window.

In memory of those who died this day September 4th:

Matinee idol George O'Brien in 1985 at age 86, lovely movie star Irene Dunne in 1990 at age 91, dependable actor/author Tom Tryon in 1991 at age 65, and western supporting actor Richard Martin in 1994 at age 76.

Mongo

Mongo:

Thank you as usual, but I was shocked to see that Tom Tryon has been gone all these years since 1991 as well as his being 65 at the time. I had no idea he was that old. I loved his books, and thought he was really handsome. He held his own against Chuck Heston in 'Three Violent People', and I thought he was great, wish he had a bigger part in 'In Harm's Way'. I thought he was just retired on his laurels.

Anne

Anne, I too thought Tom Tryon was a good actor. I liked him in "The Cardinal" and in "The Unholy Wife" with Diana Dors. My favorite book was "The Other" which was a chilling tale, and a good movie.

He was nominated for a Golden Globe (Best Actor) in 1963 for his role in "The Cardinal", but suffered immensely under the dictatorship and abuse at the hands of the film's director Otto Preminger.

Tryon said that he got much more satisfaction (and made a lot more money) from his writing than he ever did from his acting.

A gay man, he died in 1991 from a metastasized stomach cancer which had originated in his spine.

Born this day September 5th:

Lead/co-star Michael Keaton is 55.

Quirky, inventive actor, in "Night Shift", "Mr. Mom", "Johnny Dangerously", "Beetlejuice", "Clean and Sober", "Batman", "Pacific Heights", "One Good Cop", "My Life" good role, "The Paper", "Jackie Brown", "Jack Frost", "White Noise", etc.

Divorced (1 son Sean). Appeared on various TV series. Born Michael John Douglas.

Lead/co-star Raquel Welch is 66.

Sensuous, lovely movie star, in "A House Is Not a Home", "Fantastic Voyage", "One Million B.C.", "Fathom", "Lady in Cement" w/Sinatra, "Myra Breckinridge" (had a feud with Mae West), "100 Rifles", "Hannie Caulder", "Kansas City Bomber", "The Three Musketeers" (Golden Globe nominee best actress), "The Wild Party", "Mother, Jugs & Speed", "Legally Blonde", etc.

Married 4 times thus far (2 children). She turned down the lead in "Barbarella". Appears on the stage and TV. [about Mae West] "I do think she was a spectacular talent. There's no question she was a comedic genius, but I did, in person, actually feel like she was some kind of a dock worker in drag."

Lead/co-star William Devane is 66.

Dependable actor (all teeth), in "McCabe and Mrs. Miller", "Family Plot", "Marathon Man", "Rolling Thunder" good role, "Yanks", "Testament", "Vital Signs", "Payback", "Space Cowboys", "Hollow Man", etc.

Married 45 years (2 sons). On the TV series "Knots Landing", and "24".

Lead/co-star Bob Newhart is 77 today.

Essential comedic actor with a dry sense of humor. In "Hell is for Heroes", "On a Clear Day You Can See Forever", "Catch-22", "Cold Turkey", "Little Miss Marker" remake, "First Family", "In & Out", "Elf", etc.

Married since 1964 (4 children). He had two hit TV shows (nominated for a number of Emmy Awards and Golden Globe Awards, without a win). Once worked as a bookkeeper.

Posthumous

Co-star/support Jack Buetel (73) 1915-1989.

Handsome, lean actor, remembered as Billy the Kid opposite Jane Russell in "The Outlaw". Also in "Best of the Badmen", "Rose of Cimarron", "The Half-Breed", "Jesse James' Women", etc.

Served in the Navy during WWII. On the TV series "Mustang!". Ninety-nine percent of the time this actor's name is spelled incorrectly - as 'Beutel' -

Co-star/support Nora Marlowe (62) 1915-1977.

Dependable, stout character Actress, in "I'll Cry Tomorrow", "This Could Be the Night", "Designing Woman", "An Affair to Remember", "North by Northwest", "Kitten with a Whip", "The Thomas Crown Affair", "Westworld", etc.

She spent 5 seasons as neighbor Flossie Brimmer on the TV series "The Waltons".

Co-star/support Gloria Holden (82) 1908-1991.

Beautiful actress, remembered as the Countess in Universal's "Dracula's Daughter", as a sensuous vampire. In "Wife vs. Secretary", "The Life of Emile Zola" as Muni's wife, "Test Pilot", "Dodge City", "The Corsican Brothers", "Miss Annie Rooney", "Sister Kenny", "The Hucksters", "The Eddy Duchin Story" as Tyrone Power's mom, "This Happy Feeling", etc.

Married twice (1 son).

Co-star/support Florence Eldridge (86) 1901-1988.

Distinguished character actress, in "The Divorcee", "Thirteen Women", "Les Miserables", "Mary of Scotland", "Another Part of the Forest", "An Act of Murder", "Christopher Columbus", "Inherit the Wind", etc.

Married over 50 years to Fredric March (2 adopted children). A grand stage actress, she won a Tony Award.

In memory of those who died this day September 5th:

Writer/director Paul Bern committed suicide in 1932 at age 42 (married to Jean Harlow), character actor/announcer Richard Lane in 1982 at age 83, portly character actor Gert Fobe ('Goldfinger') in 1988 at age 75, 'Candid Camera' creator/host Allen Funt in 1999 at age 84, and lovely singer Gisele MacKenzie in 2003 at age 76.

Also the divine Mother Teresa in 1997 at age 87.

Mongo

My memories of this pleasant and good looking man come more from TV than from movies. I recall that he was one of the stars of a western/adventure series that was part of the Disney broadcasts. He was "Texas John Slaughter." ("Texas John Slaughter made 'em do what they ought-er, 'cause if they didn't - they died!") There were also Leslie Nielsen as "The Swamp Fox" and Robert Loggia as "Elfago Baca." There was something unique about Texas John's guns - what was it? Left-handed, sawed-off, ????

In addition, Tryon starred in one of the better sci-fi/monster films of the 50s: "I Married a Monster from Outer Space." The hokey title belies the relatively literate, and well-acted story of an alien invader who finds that he actually likes Earth and its people.

I read his books, too. I seem to remember reading when he died that he was from the prominent Tryon family of the Carolinas. Anyone know about this?

Thank you, fasteddie. It's easy to understand why you enjoy watching the beautiful Raquel Welch, she is easy on the eyes.

I did get the name Mongo from "Blazing Saddles", but under frustrating circumstances.

When I joined TCM about 5 or 6 years ago, I entered numerous screen names relating to movie characters and all were rejected as being taken already. I was fed up by then and happened to be watching "Blazing Saddles"...when Mongo should appear. Of course TCM accepted the name and the rest is history.

My fellow Brooklynite idb1, since actor/author Tom Tryon was born in Connecticut, I'm not certain that he is from the Tryon family of the Carolinas. At least, I don't recall reading that he ever was.

Born this day September 6th:

Co-star/support Rosie Perez is 42.

Dynamic, sassy Latino actress, Oscar nominated best support for her fine performance in "Fearless" (also a Golden Globe nominee). In "Do the Right Thing", "White Men Can't Jump", "Untamed Heart", "It Could Happen to You" good role, "A Brother's Kiss", "The 24 Hour Woman", "King of the Jungle", "Riding in Cars with Boys", etc.

Married in 1999, she is separated. Was a dancer on TVs "Soul Train", and also on "In Living Color" (3 time Emmy Award nominee). Also on Broadway.

Lead/co-star Jane Curtin is 59.

Talented blonde actress, hit it big on TVs "Saturday Night Live". In "How to Beat the High Co$t of Living", "Coneheads", "O.C. and Stiggs", "Geraldine's Fortune", "Brooklyn Lobster", "The Shaggy Dog", etc.

Married since 1975 (1 daughter Tess). On the TV series "Kate and Allie" (won 2 Emmy Awards), and "3rd. Rock from the Sun". Also on Broadway.

Co-star/support Jody McCrea is 72 today.

Tall, capable 'juvenile' actor, in "Lucy Gallant", "The Monster That Challenged the World", "Trooper Hook", "The Restless Years", "All Hands on Deck", "The Broken Land", "Beach Party", "Bikini Beach", "Beach Blanket Bingo", etc.

Son of Joel McCrea and Frances Dee, he appeared with his dad on a western TV series.

Posthumous

Co-star/support Carol Wayne (42) 1942-1985.

Pretty, bubbly blonde starlet, in "Gunn", "The Party", "Scavenger Hunt", "Gypsy Angels", "Savannah Smiles", "Heartbreaker", etc.

Maried 3 times (1 son). Played opposite Johnny Carson on The Tonight Show as "The Tea-Time Lady" in the "Art Fern's Tea-Time Movie" skit.

She died under suspicious circumstances when she drowned in Mexico.

Co-star/support John Ridgely (58) 1909-1968.

Essential character actor in over 100 films at Warner Bros. In "My Bill", "They Made Me a Criminal", "Dark Victory", "The Fighting 69th.", "Torrid Zone", "They Drive by Night", "The Letter", "The Wagons Roll at Night", "Air Force", "Arsenic and Old Lace", "My Reputation", "The Big Sleep", "Nora Prentiss", "Cry Wolf", "Possessed", etc.

Also performed on stage and TV.

Co-star/support 'Slapsie Maxie' Rosenbloom (71) 1904-1976.

Reliable character actor, usually a punch-drunk dimwit. In "Nothing Sacred", "Mr. Moto's Gamble", "Each Dawn I Die", "Ringside Maisie", "Irish Eyes Are Smiling", "Mr. Universe", "The Bellboy", etc.

Was married for 8 years. Former world boxing champ. Was nicknamed 'Slapsie' by Damon Runyon. Once ran his own nightclub. On stage in "Guys and Dolls".

Co-star/support Irving Bacon (71) 1893-1965.

Comic character actor in over 400 films from silents to talkies. In "Lady for a Day", "Mr. Deeds Goes to Town", "San Francisco", "A Star Is Born", "Topper", "You Can't Take It with You", "Gone With the Wind", "His Girl Friday", "Back Street", "Meet John Doe", "Shadow of a Doubt", "Cause for Alarm!", "Here Comes the Groom", "The Glenn Miller Story", etc.

He was the luckless mailman who Dagwood knocked over in 12 "Blondie" films.

Irving could also be spotted on popular '50s and '60s TV programs such as the westerns "Laramie" and "Wagon Train," and "comedies "December Bride" and "The Real McCoys." He can be still be seen in a couple of old codger roles on "I Love Lucy." One was as a marriage license proprietor and the other as Vivian Vance's doting dad from Albuquerque, to whom she paid a visit on her way to Hollywood with the Ricardos.

Lead/co-star Otto Kruger (89) 1885-1974.

Versatile, suave actor, with a fine voice, remembered as the wise, spiritual-like artist in "Magnificent Obsession" (1954). In "Treasure Island", "Dracula's Daughter" good horror, "They Won't Forget", "Another Thin Man", "Saboteur" as a Nazi, "Murder My Sweet", "The Jungle Captive" good chiller, "Duel in the Sun", "Payment on Demand", "High Noon", "Sex and the Single Girl", etc.

Married (1 daughter). A fine stage actor, he died on his birthday. Has a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.

In memory of those who died this day Septemebr 6th:

Plump character actress Maude Truax in 1939 at age 54, essential actress Gertrude Lawrence in 1952 at age 54, delightful actress Kay Kendall in 1959 at age 33, grand character actor Edmund Gwenn in 1959 at age 83, femme fatale Olga Baclanova (trapeze artist in 'Freaks') in 1974 at age 78, versatile actor Otto Kruger in 1974 at age 89, British supporting actress Patricia Cutts in 1974 at age 48, pretty 'B' film actress Jane Frazee in 1985 at age 67, silent screen star Blanche Sweet in 1986 at age 90, and adorable dwarf performer Tiny Doll in 2004 at age 90.

Mongo

Born this day September 7th:

Co-star/support Susan Blakely is 54.

Attractive blonde actress, in "Savages", "The Way We Were", "The Lord's of Flatbush", "The Towering Inferno", "Capone", "Report to the Commissioner", "Over the Top", "Out of Sight Out of Mind", "Hate Crime", etc.

Married since 1982. Emmy Award nominee for her role on the TV mini-series "Rich Man, Poor Man" (won Golden Globe Award).

Co-star/support Julie Kavner is 55.

Talented, chunky actress, in "Hannah and Her Sisters", "Radio Days" good role, "New York Stories", "Awakenings" good role, "Alice", "Shadows and Fog", "This Is My Life" lead role, "Forget Paris", "Judy Berlin", etc.

A bachelorette, she is the voice of Marge Simpson on the animated TV series "The Simpsons". Was Brenda on TVs "Rhoda", and in various skits on HBOs "The Tracy Ullman Show". Nominated for 10 Emmy Awards (she won 2). Will not allow cameras to film her doing the voices of the Simpsons characters.

Lead/co-star John Phillip Law is 69.

Tall, virile actor , in "The Russians Are Coming, the Russians Are Coming", "Hurry Sundown", "Barbarella", "Skidoo", "The Sergeant" as the object of Rod Steiger's affection, "The Hawaiians", "The Love Machine", "The Golden Voyage of Sinbad", "The Cassandra Crossing", "Tin Man", "Alienator", "Angel Eyes", etc.

Divorced (1 daughter). He travels and works abroad, and speaks 5 languages.

Posthumous

Director/producer Elia Kazan (84) 1909-2003.

Prolific, creative filmmaker, won Oscar best director for "Gentleman's Agreement" and for "On the Waterfront". Oscar nominated for "A Streetcar Named Desire", "East of Eden", and "America, America". Also helmed "A Tree Grows In Brooklyn", "The Sea of Grass", "Pinky", "Panic in the Streets", "Viva Zapata!", "Baby Doll", "Wild River", "Splendor in the Grass", etc.

Married 3 times including to Barbara Loden (she played Beatty's loose sister Ginny in "Splendor in the Grass"). Father of 5 children. Nominated for a record 7 Tony Awards for direction of plays (won 3).

His selection for an Honorary Oscar angered many in the filmmaking community on account of him being amoung the first to cooperate with the House UnAmerican Activities Committee in 1952 which led to the Blacklist which ruined many careers in Hollywood because of their political beliefs and publicly stating that he had no regrets for that action. In response, there were loud protests against Kazan's selection of the award and many attendees of the Awards Ceremony itself stayed in their seats and refused to applaud when he received the award. For his part, Kazan quickly received the Oscar and left the stage with only a few thanks in response to the hostility.

Lead/co-star Peter Lawford (61) 1923-1984.

Handsome, debonair actor, in "Mrs. Miniver", "The White Cliffs of Dover", "Mrs. Parkington", "The Picture of Dorian Gray", "Son of Lassie", "Good News", "It Happened in Brooklyn", "Easter Parade", "Little Women", "Royal Wedding", "It Should Happen to You", "Never So Few", "Exodus", "Oceans Eleven" (he was a member of Sinatra's high-living Rat Pack), "The Longest Day", "Dead Ringer", etc.

Married 4 times including to the president's sister Patricia Kennedy (4 children). Starred on the TV series "The Thin Man". TCM is saluting the gent all day today.

Co-star/support Anthony Quayle (76) 1913-1989.

Distinguished British actor, Oscar nominated best support for "Anne of the Thousand Days" (also a Golden Globe nominee). In "Pygmalion", "Hamlet", "The Wrong Man", "The Guns of Navarone", "Lawrence of Arabia", "Mackenna's Gold", "The Eagle Has Landed", etc.

Married twice (2 children). Was a British Army Major during WWII. Knighted in 1985. Performed on TV and won an Emmy Award. Also a Tony Award nominee.

Co-star/support Roscoe Karns (78) 1891-1970.

Delightful character actor, usually played wisecracking reporter types. In "Wings", "The Shopworn Angel", "One Way Passage", "If I Had a Million", "It Happened One Night", "Front Page Woman", "His Girl Friday", "They Drive by Night", "Woman of the Year", "Old Acquaintance", "Riding High", "Man's Favorite Sport", etc.

Married 50 years (father of Todd Karns who played James Stewart's brother Harry in "It's a Wonderful Life"). Was the star of TVs "Rocky King Detective" in the 1950s.

Co-star/support Albert Bassermann (84) 1867-1952.

Dependable character actor, Oscar nominated best support for Hitchcock's "Foreign Correspondent" as the kidnapped diplomat. In "Knute Rockne, All American", "A Dispatch from Reuter's", "Escape", "A Woman's Face", "Desperate Journry", "Reunion in France", "Madame Curie", "Since You Went Away", "Rhapsody in Blue", "Escape Me Never", "The Red Shoes", etc.

Married 44 years (1 child).

In memory of those who died this day Septemebr 7th:

Exotic beauty Maria Montez in 1951 at age 39, grand character actress Spring Byington in 1971 at age 84, reliable character actress Vivi Janiss in 1988 at age 77, dependable character actor Ben Piazza in 1991 at age 57, handsome movie star Dennis Morgan in 1994 at age 85, and director Terence Young in 1994 at age 79.

Also the Mom of TCM boardmember RockyRoad (9-7-96).

Mongo

Born this day September 8th:

Lead/co-star David Arquette is 35.

Reliable actor, in "Buffy the Vampire Slayer", "Airheads", "Scream" as Dewey (also in the sequels), "Johns" good role, "Dream with the Fishes", "RPM", "3000 Miles to Graceland", "Airheads", "Eight Legged Freaks", "Time Bomb", etc.

Married to Courteney Cox since 1999 (1 daughter). Brother of Patricia Arquette and Rosanna Arquette. Grandson of Cliff Arquette aka Charlie Weaver.

Co-star Support Denise Darcel is 82.

Beautiful French actress, in "Thunder in the Pines", "Battleground", "Tarzan and the Slave Girl", "Westward the Women" as Danon, "Young Man with Ideas", "Dangerous When Wet", "Vera Cruz", "The Seven Women from Hell", etc.

Divorced (2 sons). Last on screen in 1961. A cabaret singer, she also appeared on Broadway.

Co-star/support Sid Caesar is 85 today.

Essential comedic actor, In "It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World", "A Guide for the Married Man", "Silent Movie", "The Cheap Detective", "Grease", "History of the World: Part I", "Vegas Vacation", etc.

Married since 1943 (3 children). Star of the hit TV series "Your Show of Shows" with Imogene Coca (nominated for 10 Emmy Awards, he won 2). Also a Tony Award nominee.

Quoted, "The things I see now on TV and in movies are so outlandish. Kids doing rude things with pies! And the language that they use! It's being outrageous for the sake of being outrageous. I can't watch it. It turns me off."

Be back later with posthumous section.

Mongo

Some asides on Sid Caesar:

A few years ago, CSpan ran footage of some state dinner held during the Clinton administration. At the end, as the guests filed out, they were greeted and thanked by the Clintons. As Sid Caesar (wearing a green velvet dinner jacket) and his wife Florence came to the President, you could clearly hear him saying "Sid, I'm so glad you're here!" We Clinton contemporaries knew just how he felt: In the 1950s, Sid Caesar and his cohorts informed our sense of what's funny.

About 20 years ago I worked on West 57th St. (in the building with the big red 9 in front). In the warm weather, I and my co-workers would go around to the 58th St. side, where there was seating. Every day, Sid would come walking down 58th St. on his way to the park in front of the Plaza Hotel, where he would take the sun, eat some lunch, generally chill. Everyone, and I mean everyone, would greet him as he passed by. The ladies, especially, made sure to get his attention. He was without a doubt one of the most handsome men I've ever seen. TV did not do him justice. Tall, tanned, blondish, in jeans and a western-style shirt - muy macho - he looked damn good.

Happy Birthday, Sid! We are so glad you are here!!!

Thanks for the nice anecdote, jdb1. I also live in N.Y., and love hearing stories about celebrities being seen around town. And Jack, the Paris is currently playing "The Boynton Beach Club." Great theater, although I haven't been there in a few years. The Ziegfeld is also a great one, really they're both the best movie houses left in the city. The next time you're in N.Y., try to see a movie there. The Ziegfeld is actually having a five week classic movie festival that begins today. Here's the link to the movies...

www.clearviewcinemas.com/ziegfeld-classics/index.html

They're showing some great classics for the big screen, and the Ziegfeld is really the theater to see them in. During their last festival this past winter, I saw "Dr. Zhivago," "Lawrence of Arabia," and "2001" there, among others.

And Mongo, I've been away from the boards for awhile, but I'm so glad to see that you're still doing this thread, and I hope you're doing well!

> What a nice story, Ms. B. And now you've made me

> want to go to the Paris Theatre (across from the

> Plaza Hotel park). I wonder what's playing? It's

> probably my favorite cinema in town -- though I've

> never made it to the Ziegfeld...

I've never been to the Ziegfeld either. The last time I went there, to see 2001, the line was sooooo long I got discouraged. I haven't gone to the Paris lately, either, since I don't go out to the movies much any more, but I have very fond memories of it. It was the first movie theater showing "art pictures" that I went to independent of my parents. The one distinct memory I have of it is seeing Welles' "The Trial," that incomprehensible take on Kafka, and two very genteel, 5-stingers-at-Schrafft's types walking out in the middle, whispering to each other "Well, dear, I guess it's supposed to be a dream." "Yes, Ethel, a dream."

Continued.

Born this Day September 8th:

Posthumous

Co-star/support Christopher Connelly (37) 1941-1988.

Reliable, boyish-looking actor, in "Move Over Darling", "What a Lovely Way to Go!", "They Only Kill Their Masters", "Corky", "Benji", "The Norseman", "Earthbound", "Liar's Moon", "Foxtrap", etc.

Divorced. On the TV series "Peyton Place" as Norman, and the star of TVs "Paper Moon" short-lived series.

Co-star/support Darwood Kaye (72) 1929-2002.

Former child star, played Waldo in the "Our Gang" comedy shorts, usually little Darla's heart-throb.

Also in a few feature films including, "Remember the Day", "Best Foot Forward", "My Reputation", etc.

Darwood retired from acting in his teens. He became a Seventh-day Adventist minister. Sadly, he was killed by a hit-and-run driver.

Lead/co-star Peter Sellers (54) 1925-1980.

Extraordinary talent, Oscar nominated best actor for "Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb", and also for "Being There" as Chance the Gardener. Also in "The Lady Killers", "The Mouse That Roared", "I'm All Right Jack", "Lolita", "The Pink Panther" and sequels, "I Love You, Alice B. Toklas!", "There's a Girl in My Soup", "Murder by Death", etc.

Married 4 times including to Britt Ekland. Father of 3 children. Had an affair with Shirley MacLaine.

Co-star/support Hillary Brooke (84) 1914-1999.

Beautiful blonde actress, on screen since 1937, in "The Philadelphia Story", "Maisie Was a Lady", "Two-Faced Woman" w/Garbo, "Wake Island", "Jane Eyre", "Ministry of Fear" good role, "The Fuller Brush Man", "Vendetta", "The Lady Wants Mink", "Invaders from Mars", "The Maze", "Heat Wave", etc.

Married twice (2 children). Was a regular on the TV series "My Little Margie" and "The Abbott & Costello Show". Although she spoke with an English accent, she wasn't British; she was actually from Astoria, New York. Has a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.

Co-star/support Henry Wilcoxon (78) 1905-1984.

Strapping, distinguished actor, long associated with Cecil B. DeMille. In "Cleopatra" as Marc Anthony, "The Crusades", "The Last of the Mohicans", "Souls at Sea", "Mrs. Miniver", "The Greatest Show on Earth", "Samson and Delilah", "The Ten Commandments", "Man in the Wilderness", "Caddyshack", etc.

Divorced from Joan Woodbury and Heather Angel. Father of 3 children. Appeared on TV. His nickname was Biff.

Co-star/support Queenie Smith (79) 1898-1978.

Talented blonde actress, in "Show Boat", "The Killers", "The Long Night", "Sleep, My Love", "The Snake Pit", "Caged", "My Sister Eileen", "Sweet Smell of Success", "The Day of the Locust" good stuff, "Foul Play", etc.

Once engaged to Cary Grant. Also a stage actress, and on TV.

Queenie Smith spent many years as high school drama teacher at Hollywood Professional School, which was attended by many professional child actors, dancers, singers, etc.

In memory of those who died this day September 8th:

Dynamic African-American actress Dorothy Dandridge in 1965 at age 42, game show host Bud Collyer in 1969 at age 61, portly stage/screen actor Zero Mostel in 1977 at age 62, lovely actress Jean Seberg in 1979 at age 40, prolific composer Alex North in 1991 at age 80, dependable actor Brad Davis in 1991 at age 41, and character actor Leonid Kinskey (Sascha in "Casablanca") in 1998 at age 95.

Mongo

"Jack, the Paris is currently playing "The Boynton Beach Club."

Is that the Susan Seidleman movie?

"The Ziegfeld is also a great one, really they're both the best movie houses left in the city. The next time you're in N.Y., try to see a movie there. The Ziegfeld is actually having a five week classic movie festival that begins today. Here's the link to the movies..."

I used to be bi-coastal, and for awhile had an apartment on W. 57th Street. The Paris was my getaway. But I've always wanted to see the inside of the Ziegfeld and experience a movie there. It looks like a large house, with a balcony, yes? The problem was they always played blockbusters that held little interest for me. So I'm especially delighted to see they're presenting film festivals too.

Oh Mr. Mongo, Thanks again for this thread; it's a favorite of mine.

I always loved Hillary Brooke. I guess it stems from the Abbott & Costello Show when I was a kid. I though she could of had a better career in films. And I did think she was British. Wow, and she's from Astoria, N.Y. like myself (I was born there). Happy Birthday Ms. Brooke.

vallo

Born this day September 9th:

Co-star/support Michelle Williams is 26.

Lovely blonde starlet, Oscar nominated best support for "Brokeback Mountain" (also a Golden Globe nominee). In "Lassie", "Species", "A Thousand Acres", "Halloween H20", "Dick", "Prozac Nation", "Imaginary Heroes", etc.

She met her future husband Heath Ledger on the set of "Brokeback Mountain" and they married afterward and had a baby girl named Matilda.

Co-star/support Henry Thomas is 35.

Former child actor, remembered as Elliott in "E.T. the Extra Terrestrial". Also in "Raggedy Man", "Cloak and Dagger', "Murder One", "Valmont", "Fire in the Sky", "Legends of the Fall", "Bombshell", "All the Pretty Horses", "Gangs of New York", "The Hard Easy", etc.

Married twice (1 daughter Hazel). Made a smooth transition to adult roles, as few child actors do.

His birthdate is listed as either September 8th or 9th in various profiles.

Lead/co-star Adam Sandler is 40.

Successful, comedic actor from Brooklyn, in "Airheads", "Happy Gilmore", "The Wedding Singer", "The Waterboy", "Big Daddy", "Punch-Drunk Love" (Golden Globe nominee best actor), "Mr. Deeds", "50 First Dates", "Spanglish", "The Longest Yard", "Click", etc.

Married since 2003 (1 daughter Sadie). Got his big break on "Saturday Night Live".

Lead/co-star Hugh Grant is 46.

Smooth, witty British actor, in "Lair of the White Worm", "The Remains of the Day", "Four Weddings and a Funeral" (he won Golden Globe Award), "Nine Months", "Sense and Sensibility", "Notting Hill" (Golden Globe nominee), "Bridget Jones's Diary", "About a Boy" (Golden Globe nominee), "Love Actually", "Mickey Blue Eyes", etc.

Split with longtime girlfriend Elizabeth Hurley. Was caught exposed with a hooker in his car, and got arrested.

Co-star/support Angela Cartwright is 54.

Darling, former child star, remembered as Linda on TVs "Make Room for Daddy", and as Penny on "Lost in Space". In "Somebody Up There Likes me", "Something of Value", "Lad: A Dog", "The Sound of Music" as Brigitta, "Beyond the Poseidon Adventure", etc.

Married since 1976 (2 children). Sister of Veronica Cartwright. Last on screen in 1998. She is a photographer and novelist.

Lead/co-star Topal is 71.

Burley, Israeli actor, Oscar nominated best actor as Tevye in "Fiddler on the Roof" (he won the Golden Globe Award). Also in "El Dorado", "Cast a Giant Shadow", "Galileo", "Flash Gordon", "For Your Eyes Only", "Time Eleavator", etc.

Married with 3 children. First name is Chaim. First Israeli actor ever to be nominated for an Academy Award. Also a Tony Award nominee.

Co-star/support Sylvia Miles is 74.

Blowsy, sassy blonde actress, Oscar nominated best support for for her hilarious role in "Midnight Cowboy", and for "Farewell My Lovely". In "Murder Inc", "Heat", "The Sentinel", "Evil Under the Sun", "Wall Street", "Crossing Delancey", "She-Devil", "High Times", "Pot Luck", etc.

Married 3 times including to radio personality Ted Brown. Quoted, "People will come and go, but theatrical memorabilia will never let you down as long as you keep it in clear plastic." I like that.

Lead/co-star Cliff Robertson is 81 today.

Serious, good-looking leading man, won best actor Oscar for "Charly" about a slighty **** man. Also in "Picnic", "Autumn Leaves" w/Crawford, "Gidget", "The Interns", "My Six Loves", "PT 109" (chosen by JFK to play the role), "Sunday in New York", "The Best Man" good role, "The Honey Pot", "J.W. Coop", "Three Days of the Condor", "Obsession" good movie, "Star 80", "Spider-Man", etc.

Married twice including to Dina Merrill. Father of 2 daughters. Also a TV and stage actor.

Posthumous

Lead/co-star Jane Greer (76) 1924-2001.

Beautiful, angelic movie star, in "They Won't Believe Me", "Out of the Past" good role, "The Big Steal", "The Company She Keeps", "You're in the Navy Now" w/Gary Cooper, "The Clown", "Run for the Sun" w/Widmark, "Man of a Thousand Faces" as Cagney's 2nd wife Hazel, "Where Love Has Gone", "Against All Odds", "Immediate Family", etc.

Married to producer Edward Lasker (2 sons). Was married for 7 months to Rudy Vallee. Had a twin brother Don. Was on the cover of Life magazine on June 8, 1942 and June 2, 1947. It was this 1942 issue of Life that caught the eye of Howard Hughes and started her Hollywood career.

Quoted, "Howard Hughes was obsessed with me. But at first it seemed as if he were offering me a superb career opportunity."

In memory of those who died this day September 9th:

Endearing character actor James Baskett (Uncle Remus in "Song of the South") in 1948 at age 44, wonderfully 'stern' character actress Ethel Griffies in 1975 at age 97, dependable character actor John McGiver in 1975 at age 61, studio honcho Jack L. Warner in 1978 at age 86, former child actor Tim Hovey in 1989 of drug overdose at age 44, songbird Helen O'Connell in 1993 at age 73, reliable supporting actor Patrick O'Neal in 1994 at age 66, essential movie star Burgess Meredith in 1997 at age 89, and dark beauty Ruth Roman died in her sleep in 1999 at age 76.

Mongo

Born this day September 11th:

Lead/co-star Ryan Phillippe is 32.

Dependable, good-looking actor, in "Crimson Tide", "White Squall" good role, "I Know What You Did Last Summer", "Homegrown", "Cruel Intentions", "Company Man", "Gosford Park", "Crash", etc.

Married to Reese Witherspoon since 1999 (2 children). Is a ardent Frank Sinatra fan.

Lead/co-star Colin Firth is 46.

Essential British actor, in "Valmont" good role, "Femme Fatale", "The English Patient", "A Thousand Acres", "Shakespeare in Love", "Bridget Jones's Diary", "Girl with a Pearl Earring", "Love Actually", "Nanny PcPhee", etc.

Married since 1997 (2 sons). Also has 1 child with actress Meg Tilly, his co-star in "Valmont".

Lead/co-star Amy Irving is 53.

Girlishly beautiful actress, Oscar nominated best support for "Yentl". In "Carrie", "The Fury", "Voices", "The Competition", "Micki and Maude", "Honeysuckle Rose", "Crossing Delancey" (Golden Globe nominee), "One Tough Cop", "I'm Not Rappaport", "The Confession", "Traffic", etc.

Married twice, Steven Spielberg (1 son) and to director Bruno Barreto (1 son). Was the singing voice of Jessica Rabbit in "Who Killed Roger Rabbit". On the TV series "Alias". Also on stage.

Co-star/support Judy Geeson is 58.

Attractive British ingenue, in "To Sir, With Love", "Berserk!" w/Crawford, "Prudence and the Pill", "10 Rillington Place" chilling film, "The Eagle Has Landed", "Brannigan", "The Price of Life", etc.

Divorced from Kristoffer Tabori. Opened an antique shop in Los Angeles. On the TV series "Mad About You".

Co-star/support Greg Mullavy is 67.

Reliable actor, remembered as Tom Hartman on the TV series "Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman". In "Bob & Carol & Ted & Alice", "C.C. and Company", "The Love Machine", "The Hindenburg", "Vultures", "The Census Taker", "The Check Is in the Mail", "Undertow", etc.

Divorced from Meredith MacRae (1 daughter). Also on stage.

Posthumous

Director/producer Robert Wise (91) 1914-2005.

Outstanding filmmaker, won Oscar for "West Side Story" (also best picture), and "The Sound of Music" (also best picture). Oscar nominated for "I Want to Live!". Also helmed "The Body Snatcher", "Born to Kill", "The Set-Up", "Three Secrets", "The Day the Earth Stood Still", "The Desert Rats", "Executive Suite", "Somebody Up There Likes Me", "The Haunting" (Golden Globe nominee best director), "The Sand Pebbles" (Golden Globe nominee best director), "Star Trek, The Motion Picture", etc.

Married twice. Received the American Film Institute Life Achievement award in 1998. And deservedly so.

Lead/co-star Edmond O'Brien (69) 1915-1985.

Beefy, versatile actor, won Oscar best support for "The Barefoot Contessa", and nominated for "Seven Days in May" (he won the Golden Globe Award). Also in "The Hunchback of Notre Dame" w/Laughton, "The Killers", "A Double Life", "White Heat" good role, "D.O.A.", good role, "The Hitch-Hiker" directed by Ida Lupino, "The Bigamist" directed by Lupino, "The Man Who Shot Libert Valance", "Birdman of Alcatraz", "Sylvia", "The Wild Bunch", etc.

Married to Olga San Juan (3 children), and briefly to Nancy Kelly. He died of Alzheimers Disease.

Lead/co-star Bessie Love (87) 1898-1986.

Silent screen star, in "Birth of a Nation" and "Intolerance", etc. Also in "The Broadway Melody" (1929), Oscar nominee best actress, "Morals for Women", "The Barefoot Contessa", "The Roman Spring of Mrs. Stone", "Isadora", "The Ritz", "Ragtime', "Reds", "The Hunger", etc.

Divorced (1 daughter). Wrote the play "Homecoming". She worked for the Red Cross during WWII.

Co-star/support Al 'Fuzzy' St. John (69) 1893-1963.

Lanky, bewhiskered silent film comic, in scores of Mack Sennett Keystone comedies. Later became a sidekick in numerous 'B' westerns as the character 'Fuzzy'.

Married twice. He was working with a traveling Wild West show in Georgia and was waiting to go on when he suffered a massive heart attack and died.

In memory of those who died this day September 10th:

Character actor Leo Carillo (Pancho in "The Cisco Kid"), 'Dead End Kid' Bobby Jordan in 1965 at age 42, lovely actress Pier Angeli in 1971 at age 39, blacklisted writer Dalton Trumbo in 1976 at age 70, personable actor Charles Drake in 1994 at age 76, dependable actress Joanne Dru in 1996 at age 74.

Mongo