Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY! II

Additions:

Diector/producer Oliver Stone is 60.

Controversial, daring filmmaker, won Oscar best director for "Platoon", and "Born on the Fourth of July". Oscar nominated for "JFK" (he won Golden Globe Award best director). Also helmed "Salvador", "Wall Street", "Talk Radio", "The Doors", "Natural Born Killers" (Golden Globe nominee best director), "Nixon", "Any Given Sunday", "Alexander", etc.

Married twice (2 sons). Also has a daughter from a relationship. Oscar nominated for his screenplays, and won for "Midnight Express". Says he kicked a cocaine habit by moving to France while writing "Scarface" (1983).

Co-star/support Henry Darrow is 73.

Dependable Latino actor, came to prominence on the TV series "The High Chaparral" as Monolito. In "Sniper's Ridge", "Cancel My Reservation", "A Life of Sin", "Walk Proud", "St. Helens", "Losin' It", "The Hitcher", "The Last of the Finest", "Maverick", "Runaway Jury", etc.

Married twice (2 children). Still active today, he attends Nostalgia Conventions.

idb1, you are correct regarding Sid Luft. In my rush to get to press last night I listed the year of death as the same age he was when he died. Mr. Luft passed away in 2005. Appreciate your eagle eye.

Mongo

Born this day September 16th:

Lead/co-star Jennifer Tilly is 48.

Brassy, sassy actress, Oscar nominated best support for "Bullets Over Broadway". In "The Fabulous Baker Boys", "The Getaway", "Bound" good role, "Liar Liar", "Bride of Chucky", "The Cat's Meow", "Second Best", "Saint Ralph", etc.

Divorced. Sister of Meg Tilly. A lover of fashion, she owns over 400 pairs of shoes. Also on Broadway.

Lead/co-star Mickey Rourke is 50.

Rugged, talented actor, in "Body Heat", "Diner", "Rumble Fish", "The Pope of Greenwich Village" good movie, "Nine 1/2 Weeks" steamy stuff, "Barfly", "Desperate Hours", "Animal Factory", "The Pledge", "Sin City", etc.

Married and divorced twice. Kim Basinger referred to him as 'the human ashtray'. He is a former boxer. [On what he wants in a woman:] "It's like when I buy a horse. I don't want a thick neck and short legs."

Co-star/support Ed Begley Jr. is 57.

Tall, blonde-haired actor, in "Superdad", "Stay Hungry", "The One and Only", "Hardcore", "An Officer and a Gentleman", "She-Devil" good role, "Best in Show", "Alone in a Crowd", etc.

Married twice (3 children). Son of character actor Ed Begley. Lives in a solar powered home. On the TV series "St. Elsewhere" (he received 6 Emmy nominations, 0 wins). Also on "7th. Heaven" and HBOs "Six Feet Under". Won George Harrison's guitar in an auction in Los Angeles in 2003 for $300,000.

Co-star/support George Chakiris is 72.

Dependable, dark-haired actor, won Oscar best support as Bernardo in "West Side Story" (also won Golden Globe Award). In "Brigadoon", "Diamond Head", "Kings of the Sun", "The Big Cube", "Pale Blood", "Superboy", etc.

Single, is actively involved in jewelry making. Has appeared in plays and stage musicals.

Lead/co-star Anne Francis is 76.

Blonde beauty, in "So Young So Bad", "Lydia Bailey" title role, "Dreamboat", "Susan Slept Here", "Bad Day at Black Rock", "Battle Cry", "Blackboard Jungle", "Forbidden Planet", "Girl of the Night", "The Satan Bug", "Funny Girl" (was outraged after some of her key scenes were cut from the film), "Brainstorm", etc.

Married twice (2 children). Has an atractive mole on her lip. Star of TVs "Honey West", has made numerous TV guest appearances. She is looking swell today.

Lead/co-star Peter Falk is 79.

Impressive, gravelly-voiced actor, Oscar nominated best support for "Murder Inc.", and for "Pocketful of Miracles". Also in "Pretty Boyd Floyd", "Pressure Point", "Robin and the 7 Hoods", "The Rat Race", "Castle Keep", "Husbands", "The Cheap Detective", "The Brink's Job", "The In-Laws", "Happy New Year", "The Princess Bride", etc.

Married twice (2 children). Hit his stride as Lt. Columbo on the TV series "Columbo" for which he won 4 Emmy Awards. He is also a CPA.

Lead/co-star Lauren Bacall is 82.

Glamourous movie star, Oscar nominated best support for "The Mirror Has Two Faces" (she won Golden Globe Award). In "To Have and Have Not", "The Big Sleep", "Dark Passage", "Key Largo", "Young Man with a Horn", "How to Marry a Millionaire", "Women's World", "Blood Alley", "Written on the Wind", "Sex and the Single Girl", "Murder on the Orient Express", "The Shootist", "The Fan", "Misery", "Birth", etc.

Widow of Humphrey Bogart (2 children), married Jason Robards Jr. (1 son). A success on the musical stage, winning 2 Tony Awards. Was #20 on AFIs list of top 25 actresses.

Lead/co-star Janis Paige is 84 today.

Delightful blonde actress, in "Hollywood Canteen", "Her Kind of Man", "Of Human Bondage" (1946), "Winter Meeting", "Romance on the High Seas", "One Sunday Afternoon", "Two Gals and a Guy", "Silk Stockings", "Please Don't Eat the Daisies", "Bachelor in Paradise", "Follow the Boys", etc.

Married 3 times. Appeared on a number of soaps, in summer stock, and on Broadway. Last on TV in 2001.

Posthumous

Co-star/support Tommy Bond (79) 1926-2005.

Former child actor remembered as tough bully Butch in the "Our Gang" comedy shorts, among some feature films. His best friend was Carl Switzer who played 'Alfalfa'.

Married 52 years (1 son). Appeared as Jimmy Olsen in a early 'Superman' movie serial. Refused the offer to appear on TVs 'Superman' with George Reeves. Quoted: "If I died tomorrow, I experienced so many wonderful things, and met so many great people, and I lived in a great time in Hollywood... I was very fortunate, I had a great and full life".

Co-star/support Jack Kelly (64) 1927-1992.

Handsome, rugged actor, in "Holiday Affair", "Call Me Mister", "Wild Blue Yonder", "Red Ball Express", "The Bamboo Prison", "Black Tuesday", "The Violent Men", "Cult of the Cobra", "Forbidden Planet", "To Hell and Back", "Julie" w/Doris Day, "A Fever in the Blood", etc.

Married twice including to actress May Wynn. Brother of Nancy Kelly. Played James Garner's brother Bart on TVs "Maverick".

In memory of those who died this day September 16th:

Producer of 'Tom and Jerry' animated shorts Fred Quimby in 1965 at age 79, impressive actor/dancer Gene Nelson in 1996 at age 76, essential character actor James Gregory in 2002 at age 90, western supporting actor Sheb Wooley in 2003 at age 82, and lovely actress Constance Moore in 2005 at age 85.

Mongo

Born this day September 17th:

Co-star/support Beverly Aadland is 63.

Blonde starlet appeared in a few films, "Death of a Salesman", "South Pacific", "Marjorie Morningstar", "Cuban Rebel Girls" w/Errol Flynn, etc.

Married in 1961. She had a highly publicized relationship with Errol Flynn for the last two years of his life (She was 17 when he died).

Co-star/support Paul Benedict is 68.

Dependable actor, remembered as Harry Bentley on the hit TV series "The Jeffersons". In "Cold Turkey", "They Might Be Giants", "Jeremiah Johnson", "Up the Sandbox", "Mandingo", "The Goodbye Girl", "This Is Spinal Tap", "Cocktail", "The Freshman", "A Mighty Wind", etc.

Appeared on Broadway. Suffered from Acromegaly (disfigurement of the face) as did actor Rondo Hatton.

Co-star/support Pat Crowley is 77 today.

Reliable starlet, in "Forever Female", "Red Garters", "The Square Jungle", "There's Always Tomorrow" w/Stanwyck, "Walk the Proud Land", "Key Witness", "The Wheeler Dealers", etc.

Spent 6 seasons on the soap "Port Charles", has made numerous TV guest appearances. On "The Closer" this past season 2006.

Posthumous

Lead/co-star Anne Bancroft (73) 1931-2005.

Supreme, versatile actress, won Oscar best actress as Anne Sullivan in "The Miracle Worker". Oscar nominated for "The Pumpkin Eater" (won Golden Globe Award), "The Graduate" (won Golden Globe Award), The Turning Point", and "Agnes of God". Also in "Don't Bother to Knock", "Gorilla at Large", "The Slender Thread", "The Prisoner of Second Avenue", "Fatso" also directed, "To Be or Not to Be" (Golden Globe nominee), "Garbo Talks" (Golden Globe nominee), "Night, Mother" (Golden Globe nominee), "84 Charing Cross Road", "G.I. Jane", etc.

Married to Mel Brooks for 40 years (1 son Max). Also won Tony and Emmy Awards. Born Anna Maria Italiano, she died of uterine cancer.

She and Mel Brooks met on the set of a TV talk show, and Mel later paid a woman who worked on the show to tell him which restaurant Anne was going to eat at that night so he could "accidentally" bump into her again and strike up a conversation.

Lead/co-star John Ritter (54) 1948-2003.

Essential comedy star, famous for his role as Jack on the TV series "Three's Company" (he won an Emmy and Golden Globe Award). In "The Other", "Wholly Moses!", "They All Laughed", "Problem Child", "Sling Blade" good role, "Bride of Chucky", "Bad Santa", etc.

Married twice (4 children). Son of cowboy star Tex Ritter. Also on the TV series "The Waltons", voiced "Clifford the Big Red Dog" on PBS, and "8 Simple Rules...for Dating My Teenage Daughter" (Emmy Award nominee).

Was diagnosed with an aorta dissection, which meant in layman's terms, an unrecognized flaw of the heart. He underwent surgery and died on September 11, 2003, just days shy of his 55th birthday.

Lead/co-star Roddy McDowall (70) 1928-1998.

Genteel, reliable actor (former child star). In "How Green Was My Valley", "Son of Fury", "Lassie Come Home", "My Friend Flicka", "The White Cliffs of Dover", "Kidnapped", "Midnight Lace", "The Longest Day", "Cleopatra" (Golden Globe nominee best support), "The Loved One", "Inside Daisy Clover", "Planet of the Apes" and sequels, "The Poseidon Adventure", "Fright Night", "It's My Party", "The Grass Harp", etc.

A bachelor, he was an accomplished ballroom dancer and a fine photographer. A true-blue friend of many of his contempories (especially of Elizabeth Taylor).

Co-star/support Helen Vinson (92) 1907-1999.

Capable blonde actress, usually the instigator, in "They Call It Sin", "I Am a Fugitive from a Chain Gang" w/Muni, "Second Hand Wife", "Broadway Bill", "Private Worlds" w/Colbert, "The Wedding Night", "King of the Damned", "In Name Only" as Suzanne, "Torrid Zone", "The Lady and the Monster", etc.

Married 3 times. Last on screen in 1945. Quoted: "Hollywood seemed to be an absolute sea of short men. Robinson, Muni, James Cagney and George Raft all had to stand on boxes when they acted with me."

Co-star/support Jerry Colonna (82) 1904-1986.

Comedic actor with handlebar mustache, and high-piercing tenor voice. In "Rosalie", "Little Miss Broadway", "Road to Singapore", "Sis Hopkins" w/Judy Canova, "Road to Rio", "Andy Hardy Comes Home", etc.

Appeared many times with Bob Hope on TV and on tours entertaining the troops.

Lead/co-star Dolores Costello (75) 1903-1979.

Beautiful blonde actress, once 'The Goddess of the Silent Screen". In the talkies "Noah's Ark", "Little Lord Fauntlroy", "Yours for the Asking", "The Magnificent Ambersons" as Isabel, "Outside These Walls", "This Is the Army", etc.

Was married to John Barrymore (2 children including John Drew Barrymore). Grandmother of Dew Barrymore.

Co-star/support George Cleveland (71) 1885-1957.

Grand character actor, remembered as Gramps on the original "Lassie" TV series. In over 200 films, including "Black Gold", "Night Key", "Born to Be Wild", "The Devil and Daniel Webster", "The Spoilers", "The Big Street", "Johnny Come Lately", "My Wild Irish Rose", "Walking My Baby back Home", etc.

Also in vaudeville.

Co-star/support O.P. Heggie (56) 1879-1936.

Dependable character actor, remembered as the blind hermit in "The Bride of Frankenstein". Also in "The Letter" w/Jeanne Eagels, "East Lynne", "Smilin' Through", "Midnight", "The Count of Monte Cristo", "Anne of Green Gables", "The Prisoner of Shark Island" good drama, etc.

Maried (3 children). O.P. stands for Oliver Peters.

In memory of those who died this day September 17th:

Essential character actor Akim Tamiroff in 1972 at age 72, impressive actor Richard Basehart in 1984 at age 70, brassy blonde character actress Iris Adrian in 1994 at age 82, 'droll' comedic character actor Grady Sutton in 1995 at age 89, comic genius Red Skelton in 1997 at age 84, and singer/actor Frankie Vaughan in 1999 at age 71.

Mongo

A reminder:

On this the birthday of Anne Bancroft, TCM will be presenting two of her finest performances this evening.

First up, she is Annie Sullivan in her Oscar winning role of "The Miracle Worker", and then she is the bold and sassy Mrs. Robinson in "The Graduate". Enjoy.

Born this day Septemeber 18th:

Lead/co-star Jada Pinkett Smith is 35.

Beautiful actress, in "The Inkwell", "Jason's Lyric", "A Low Down Dirty Shame", "The Nutty Professor" w/Eddie Murphy, "Scream 2", "Bambozzled", "Ali", "The Matrix Reloaded", "Collateral", etc.

Married to Will Smith since 1997 (2 children). In early 2006 she toured the US with her heavy metal band Wicked Wisdom.

Lead/co-star James Gandolfini is 45.

Stocky, talented actor, a big hit as mobster Tony Soprano on the HBO series "The Sopranos" (he won 3 Emmy Awards). In "A Stranger Among Us", "True Romance", "Angie", "Crimson Tide", "Get Shorty", "She's So Lovely", "The Mexican", "8MM", "The Last Castle", "All the Kings Men", etc.

Divorced (1 child). Is currently engaged.

Co-star/support Fred Willard is 67.

Gifted comic actor, in "The Harrard Experiment", "Hustle", "Silver Streak", "First Family", "Roxanne", "Best in Show", "The Wedding Planner", "A Mighty Wind", etc.

Married (1 daughter). Has appeared on numerous TV shows, including "Everybody Loves Raymond", as Robert's father-in-law (3 Emmy nominations).

Lead/co-star Frankie Avalon is 67.

Capable actor/singer and former teen idol, in "The Alamo", "Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea", "Sail a Crooked Ship", "Come Fly with Me", "Beach Party" which began a string of beach flicks with Anette Funicello, "Grease", etc.

Married since 1962 (8 children). Had many hit reccords during his career.

Lead/co-star Robert Blake is 73.

Talented, short dark actor and former child star. In "The Treasure of the Sierra Madra" (sold Bogart the lottery ticket), "The Black Hand", "The Rack", "Three Violent People", "Pork Chop Hill", "The Purple Gang", "Town Without Pity", "PT 109", "This Property Is Condemned", "In Cold Blood" outstanding performance, "Tell Them Willie Boy Is Here" good role, "Electra Glide in Blue" (Golden Globe nominee best actor), etc.

Married twice (3 children). Also a member of "Our Gang", and the 'Red Ryder' western series as 'Little Beaver'. On the TV series "Baretta" (won Emmy Award), and on "Hell Town".

After over a year following her death, he was arrested for the murder of his 2nd. wife Bonnie Lee Bakley. He was acquitted on 16th March 2005.

Lead/co-star Phyllis Kirk is 77 today.

Pretty, appealing actress, in "Our Very Own", "Two Weeks with Love", "Three Guys Named Mike", "About Face", "House of Wax" good role, "Crime Wave", "Johnny Concho", "Back from Eternity" (remake of "Five Came Back"), "The Sad Sack" w/Jerry Lewis, etc.

Maried producer Warren Bush. On the TV series "The Thin Man" (Emmy nominee). Retired, she is disabled with arthritis. Last on TV in 1970.

Posthumous

Co-star/support Jack Warden (85) 1920-2006.

Essential character actor (a redhead), Oscar nominated best support for "Shampoo" and "Heaven Can Wait". In "Fom Here to Eternity", "Edge of the City", "The Bachelor Party", "12 Angry Men" as juror #7, "The Thin Red Line", "All the President's Men", "Being There", "Used Cars", "The Verdict", "Bulworth", etc.

Married (1 son). On the TV series "Crazy Like a Fox" (Emmy nominee). A former boxer, he served in the US Navy during WWII.

Lead/co-star Rossano Brazzi (78) 1916-1994.

Impressive, Italian actor/singer, in "Little Women" (1949), "Three Coins in the Fountain", "The Barefoot Contessa", "Summertime" memorable w/Katharine Hepburn, "Interlude", "Legend of the Lost" w/Loren, "South Pacific" good role, "Light in the Piazza", "Rome Adventure", "The Italian Job", etc.

Married twice. Once arrested for arms smuggling, and later fully acquitted.

Co-star/support Eddie 'Rochester' Anderson (71) 1905-1977.

Dependable character actor, with an unmistkable raspy voice (strained his voice hawking newspapers in his youth). In "Show Boat", "The Green Pastures", "You Can't Take It with You", "Jazebel", "Kentucky", "Gone With the Wind", "Topper", "Buck Benny Rides Again", "Cabin in the Sky", "Stormy Weather", "It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World" as a cab driver, etc.

Has an adopted son Billy. Was associated with comedian Jack Benny from 1937 thru 1964.

Lead/co-star Greta Garbo (84) 1905-1990.

Supreme, enigmatic Swedish beauty, Oscar nominated best actress for "Anna Christie" ("Gimme a whisky with a gingerale on the side and don't be stingy, baby", "Camille" (won New York Film Critics Award), and "Ninotchka". Also in "Romance", "Mata Hari", "Grand Hotel", "Queen Christina", "Anna Karenina" (won New York Film Critics Award), "Conquest", "Two-Faced Woman", etc.

She never married (left John Gilbert standing at the alter in 1927). Quoted: "You don't have to be married to have good friends as your partner for life"

Although a health nut, she enjoyed smoking and cocktails. Popularized trenchcoats and berets in the 1930s. Quoted: "I never said, 'I want to be alone.' I only said, 'I want to be left alone.' There is a whole world of difference." TCM is saluting the star all day today.

In memory of those who died this day September 18th:

Unfortunate actress Peg Entwistle committed suicide in 1932 at age 23, beloved character actor Frank Morgan in 1949 at age 59, leading man Franchot Tone in 1968 at age 63, character actress Edna Best in 1974 at age 74, British actress Pamela Brown in 1975 at age 58, character actress Ann Shoemaker in 1978 at age 87, lovely actress Annabella in 1996 at age 87, and hunky actor John Bromfield in 2005 at age 83.

Mongo

I think that my favorite Fred Willard performance is in Best in Show (2000), as the comically dim, yet verbose dog show commentator similar to Joe Garagiola. And his performance was said to be largely improvised! I can't wait for the new film from the same bunch, For Your Consideration (2006), satirizing the scrambling of some actors for awards after appearing in an "uplifting" movie that just screams, "Oscar Bait!". I hope to get a few laughs out of it and all future performances from Mr. Willard. Happy Birthday, Fred.

idb1, it was indeed actress Peg Entwistle who jumped from the letter "H" off the Hollywoodland sign, 50ft. to her death.

Gerb, I read of the death of character actor Robert Earl Jones (father of James Earl Jones). He died on September 7th. and although IMDb has his age at 95, most other sources have it at 102.

I enjoyed his performance as Luther in "The Sting".

Born this day Septemeber 19th:

Lead/co-star Jeremy Irons is 58.

Essential British actor, with a rich haunting voice, won Oscar best actor as Claus von Bulow in "Reversal of Fortune". In "The French Lieutenant's Woman", "Betrayal", "The Mission" (Golden Globe nominee), "Dead Ringers", "Damage", "M Butterfly", "Die Hard: With a Vengeance", "Lolita", "Dungeons and Dragons", "Being Julia", etc.

Married since 1978 (2 children). On the PBS series "Brideshead Revisited". Won 2 Emmy Awards and a Tony Award. Owns a castle in Ireland and is a skilled horseman.

Co-star/support David McCallum is 73.

Reliable blond-haired British actor, remembered as Illya Kuryakin on the hit TV series "The Man from U.N.C.L.E.". In "Hell Divers", "A Night to Remember" about the Titanic, "The Long and the Short and the Tall" good war drama, "Billy Budd", "Freud", "The Great Escape", "The Karate Killers", "Cherry", etc.

Married since 1967 (2 children). Divorced from actress Jill Ireland (3 sons). On the hit TV series "NCIS".

Lead/co-star Adam West is 78.

Capable actor, remembered as TVs "Batman". In "The Young Philadelphians", "Geronimo", "Tammy and the Doctor", "Soldier in the Rain" w/McQueen, "The Specialist", "Hardcore" graphic film, "From Heaven to Hell", "Baadasssss!", "Tales from Beyond", "Buckaroo", etc.

Married 3 times (4 children). Now silver-haired, he had his creative dentist add a little black Batman logo to one of his molars.

Co-star/support Rosemary Harris is 79 today.

Talented British actress, Oscar nominated best support in "Tom & Viv". In "Beau Brummell", "Uncle Vanya", "A Flea in Her Ear", "The Boys from Brazil", "Crossing Delancey", "Hamlet", "My Life So far", "Sunshine", "Spider-Man" as Aunt Mary, etc.

Married twice (1 daughter). Has won Tony, Emmy, and Golden Globe Awards. She lives in North Carolina.

Posthumous

Lead/co-star Ray Danton (60) 1931-1992.

Handsome, reliable actor, in "Chief Crazy Horse", "The Looters" good drama, "The Spoilers", "I'll Cry Tomorrow" as Hayward's true love, "Too Much, Too Soon", "Ice Palace", "Portrait of a Mobster", "The Rise and Fall of Legs Diamond" title role, "The George Raft Story", "A Majority of One", "The Longest Day", etc.

Divorced from actress Julie Adama (2 sons). Also a director.

Co-star/support William Hickey (68) 1928-1997.

Essential character actor from Brooklyn, Oscar nominated best support as the Mafia Don in "Prizzi's Honor". Also in "A Hatful of Rain", "The Producers", "The Boston Strangler", "The Sentinel", "One Crazy Summer", "Da", "Sea of Love", "Christmas Vacation" hilarious as Uncle Lewis, "Forget Paris", "Mousehunt", etc.

Was a respected New York stage actor and acting teacher.

Lead/co-star Frances Farmer (56) 1913-1970.

Beautiful, talented actress, in "Come and Get It", "The Toast of New York", "South of Pago Pago" w/Jon Hall, "Flowing Gold" w/Garfield, "Among the Living", "Son of Fury" w/Tyrone Power, "The Party Crashers" w/Bobby Driscoll, etc.

Married 3 times including to actor Leif Erickson. A troubled soul, she was admitted (by her mother) to an asylum in 1942, where it was reported that she experienced the wrath of hell. Jessica Lange portrayed her rise and fall in the movie "Frances".

Miss Farmer was a subject on the TV series "This Is Your Life".

Lead/co-star Margaret Lindsay (70) 1910-1981.

Attractive, raven-haired movie star, on screen from 1932. In "Cavalcade", "Baby Face" w/Stanwyck, "Lady Killer", "Bordertown" w/Muni, "G Men", "Dangerous", "Sinner Take All", "Jezebel", "Hell's Kitchen", "Scarlett Street", "Cass Timberlane", "B.F.'s Daughter", "Please Don't Eat the Daisies", etc.

Offscreen, Lindsay lived with her sister Helen in Hollywood. Despite being romantically linked to actors such as William Gargan and Edward Norris, she never married.

That aspect of Lindsay's personal life has inevitably become the object of speculation in today's era in which more and more deceased actors/actresses from the Classic Hollywood period are identified as having been gay, lesbian or bisexual. She was last on screen in 1963.

Co-star/support Betty Garde (84) 1905-1989.

Dependable character actress, usually a 'tough broad', remembered as Kitty Stark in the women's prison drama "Caged". Also in "Damaged Love", "Call Northside 777" good movie, "Cry of the City" exceptional noir, "The Prince Who Was a Thief", "One Desire", etc.

Was the original Aunt Eller on Broadway in "Oklahoma!". Appeared on TV, remembered as Ralph Kramden's maid on an episode of "The Honeymooners".

Lead/co-star Ricardo Cortez (77) 1899-1977.

Handsome silent screen star ala Valentino. In the talkies "Montana Moon" w/Crawford, "Her Man", "Illicit", "Ten Cents a Dance", "Reckless Living", "Men of Chance", "Thirteen Women", "Flesh", "Torch Singer", "Man Hunt", "The Maltese Falcon" (1931), "The Walking Dead", "Charlie Chan in Reno", "The Locket", "The Last Hurrah", etc.

Married 3 times. He eventually became a member of one of Wall Street's top brokerage firms. Was born Jacob Krantz.

Lead/co-star Ben Turpin (70) 1869-1940.

Comedic 'cross-eyed' actor, appeared numerous times in Keystone and Mack Sennett films and shorts of the silent era. Also in "Million Dollar Legs", "Make Me a Star", "Hollywood Cavelcade" w/Alice Faye, "Saps at Sea" as a cross-eyed plumber w/Laurel and Hardy, etc.

Married twice. Also in vaudeville. He was not only a popular comedian, but his shrewd major investments in real estate made him one of the richest men in Hollywood.

In memory of those who died this day September 19th:

Silent screen star Pauline Frederick in 1938 at age 55, impressive character actor Rex Ingram in 1969 at age 73, cute blonde starlet June Peisser in 1984 at age 64, essential character actress Ann Doran in 2000 at age 89, and dependable supporting actress Gloria Talbott in 2000 at age 69.

Mongo

Born this day September 20th:

Lead/co-star Gary Cole is 50.

Dependable actor, scored in the made for TV movie "Fatal Vision" as convicted murderer Capt. Jeffrey MacDonald MD. Also in "Lucas", "In the Line of Fire", "The Brady Bunch Movie" as Mike Brady, "A Simple Plan", "Office Space", "The Gift", "One Hour Photo", "Cry Wolf", "Talladega Nights", etc.

Married since 1992 (1 child). On the TV series "Midnight Caller", "American Gothic", and "The West Wing" as the Vice President. Also on stage.

Lead/co-star Sophia Loren is 72.

Voluptuous Italian beauty, won Oscar best actress for "Two Women". Oscar nominated for "Marriage Italian-Syle". In "Boy on a Dolphin" w/Ladd, "Desire Under the Elms" w/Tony Perkins, "The Key" w/Holden, "The Black Orchid" w/Quinn, "Houseboat" w/Grant, "El Cid" w/Heston, "The Fall of the Roman Empire", "Lady L", "Arabesque" w/Peck, "Countess from Hong Kong" w/Brando whom she disliked, "Grumpier Old men", etc.

Married to producer Carlo Ponti (2 sons). Made 13 films with Marcello Mastroianni. She served time in prison for tax evasion.

Regarding adultery: "It's a game I never play", yet it is reported that she canoodled with Cary Grant.

Co-star/support Karen Sharpe is 72.

Stunning starlet, in "The Sniper", "Strange Fascination", "Bomba the Jungle Boy", "The High and the Mighty" as a newlywed, "Mexican Manhunt" w/George Brent, "Man with a Gun", "Tarawa Beachhead", "The Disorderly Orderly", etc.

Widow of director Stanley Kramer (2 children). Last on TV in 1967. Jan Sterling became a friend and mentor of Karen's after meeting on the set of the "The Vanquished" (1953). They later appeared together in the films "The High and the Mighty" (1954) and "Man with the Gun" (1955).

Co-star/support Haya Harareet is 75.

Striking Israeli actress, remembered as Esther in the Oscar winning movie "Ben-Hur". Also in "The Doll That Took the Town", "The Secret Partner", "Siren of Atlantis", "The Interns", etc.

Last on screen in 1964. Co-wrote the screenplay for "Our Mother's House".

Co-star/support Anne Meara is 77 today.

Comedic redhead also adept at drama, in "The Out-of-Towners", "Lovers and Other Strangers", "The Boys from Brazil", "Fame", "Awakenings", "Highway to Hell", "Kiss of Death", "Get Well Soon", "The Yard Sale", etc.

Maried to Jerry Stiller (parents of Ben Stiller). She and Jerry were a stand-up comedy team. Had her own TV series "Kate McShane", and appeared on many TV series including "Archie Bunker's Place". A 4 time Emmy Award nominee. Also a Tony Award nominee.

Posthumous

Lead/co-star Rachel Roberts (53) 1927-1980.

Charismatic British actress, Oscar nominated best actress for "This Sporting Life". In "Saturday Night and Sunday Morning" memorable role, "Doctor's Wives", "Wild Rovers", "O Lucky Man!", "Murder on the Orient Express", "Yanks", "When a Stranger Calls", etc.

Was married to Rex Harrison. Also a brilliant stage and TV actress.

The only actress to date that kept a vivid account of her life on record up until the very eve of her death. Actual suicide was a result of swallowing lye, alkali, or another unidentified caustic substance on top of the barbiturates which were ingested as proven in her published journals.

Lead/co-sar Kenneth More (67) 1914-1982.

Talented, personable British actor, in "Doctor in the House", "Deep Blue Sea", "Reach for the Sky", "A Night to Remember" about the Titanic, "The Admirable Crichton", "Sink the Bismarck", "Man on the Moon", "The Longest Day", "Scrooge" the musical, etc.

Married 3 times (2 daughters). His drinking buddies were Trevor Howard and Jack Hawkins.

Rumor has it that Noel Coward once attempted to seduce him, when he gasped "Oh, Mr. Howard sir, I could never have an affair with you because you remind me of my father".

Co-star/support Patricia Collinge (81) 1892-1974.

Essential Irish character actress, Oscar nominated best support for her outstanding performance as Birdie in "The Little Foxes". Also in "Shadow of a Doubt", "Tender Comrade", "Casanova Brown", "Teresa", "Washington Story", "The Nun's Story", etc.

A great stage actress, she also appeared on TV.

In memory of those who died this day September 20th:

Rugged movie star Richard Dix in 1949 at age 56, dependable character actor Glenn Strange in 1973 at age 74, and lovely actress Zita Johann in 1993 at age 89.

Mongo

Born this day September 21st.

Lead/co-star Bill Murray is 56.

Talented, bedraggled actor, Oscar nominated best actor for "Lost in Translation" (he won Golden Globe Award). In "Meatballs", "Caddyshack", "Tootsie", "Ghostbusters" (Golden Globe nominee), "The Razor's Edge" poor remake, "Scrooged", "Groundhog Day", "Ed Wood", "Rushmore" (Golden Globe nominee), "Charlie's Angels", "Broken Flowers", etc.

Married twice (6 children). A hoot on TVs "Saturday Night Live". Is fifth of 9 children.

Writer, producer Stephen King is 59.

Tall, prolific writer, tagged 'The Master of Horror'. His novels, successfully adapted to the screen, include "Carrie", "Salem's Lot", "The Shining", "Creepshow", "Cujo", "Christine", "Cat's Eye", "Stand by Me", "Pet Sematary", "Misery", "The Shawshank Redemption", "Dolores Claiborne", "Thinner", "The Green Mile", Secret Window", etc.

Married since 1971 (3 children). Usually makes cameo appearances in his films. His pseudonym is Richard Bachman.

In 1999 King was accidentally hit in the back by a minivan while walking on Route 5 near North Lovell, Maine. He suffered a broken leg, a bruised lung and a head laceration.

Lead/co-star Larry Hagman is 75.

Reliable actor, in "Ensign Pulver", "Fail-Safe", "In Harm's Way", "The Group", "Harry and Tonto", "Mother, Jugs and Speed", "The Big Bus", "Superman:, "S.O.B.", "Nixon", "Primary Colors", etc.

Married since 1954 (2 children). Son of Mary Martin. Was a big success as J.R. Ewing on the TV series "Dallas" (Emmy and Golden Globe nominee). Also on TVs "I Dream of Jeannie".

Although an adamant non-smoker, he was a heavy drinker and close to death, had a liver transplant in 1996.

Co-star/support Joan Hotchkis is 79 today.

Dependable acress, remembered as Dr. Nancy Cunningham on the TV series "The Odd Couple". In "The Late Liz", "Breezy", "Legacy", "Ode to Billie Joe", "Old Boyfriends", "The Last Game", etc.

Divorced (1 daughter). Has made numerous TV appearances.

Posthumous

Co-star/support Dawn Addams (54) 1930-1985.

Lovely actress, in "Plymouth Adventure" as Priscilla Mullins, "Young Bess", "The Moon Is Blue", "The Robe", "A King in New York" w/Chaplin, "The Silent Enemy", "The Vampire Lovers", "The Vault of Horror", etc.

Was married to a prince from Italy (1 son, now also a prince).

Lead/co-star Gail Russell (36) 1924-1961.

Angelically beautiful actress, in "Lady in the Dark", "Our Hearts Were Young and Gay", "The Uninvited" good role, "Salty O'Rourke" w/Ladd, "Angel and the Badman" w/Wayne, "Calcutta", "Moonrise", "Night Has a Thousand Eyes", "Wake of the Red Witch", "El Paso", "The Lawless", "The Tattered Dress", "The Silent Call", etc.

Was married to Guy Madison. Befriended by John Wayne and later accused of conducting an adulterous affair. Suffered from stage fright and other insecurities, which brought her to the bottle, and which eventually killed her.

She will be remembered as an incredible doe-eyed beauty, who presented a screen image of innocence and vulnerbility.

Co-star/support Lloyd Gough (76) 1907-1984.

Dependable gray-haired character actor, in "Body and Soul", "All My Sons", "The Babe Ruth Story", "Tulsa", "Tension" good noir, "Sunset Blvd.", "Storm Warning", "Rancho Notorious", "Tony Rome", "Madigan", "Funny Girl", "Earthquake", etc.

He and his wife Karen Morley were blacklisted in the 1950s. Also on Broadway.

In memory of those who died this day September 21st:

Character actor Osgood Perkins (Tony's dad) in 1937 at age 45, grand actor Harry Carey in 1947 at age 69, dependable African American actress Diana Sands in 1973 at age 39, supreme character actor Walter Brennan in 1974 at age 80, novelist Jacqueline Susann in 1974 at age 56, 'droll' character actor Nigel Patrick in 1981 at age 68, and Oscar nominated director ('The Bishop's Wife') Henry Koster in 1988 at ge 83.

Mongo

I almost got to meet Larry Hagman last month, but I got shafted. He came to Weatherford, TX (his hometown) to cut the ribbon on a new museum honoring the history of Parker County. His mother (Mary Martin) will have an exhibit in the museum (a statue of her is also in front of Weatherford's library) when it officially opens. My sister (who lives in Weatherford) is by far Larry's biggest fan, so I decided to stand in line with her at the museum. Well, after a blistering (more than 100 degrees) wait in the 2 o'clock Texas sun, Larry finally came out to snip the ribbon. He then disappeared through the backdoor of the (empty) museum and into his limo bound for Fort Worth. What a scam!! The press release said that he would be at the door to greet everyone, but in fact, it was only a ploy by the museum staff to set a record at the dedication ceremony (they shoved sign-in books into everyone's hands and insisted that we couldn't leave until we made our mark)--and there was nothing to see but a giant empty building. No one got to meet Larry.

Fortunately for my sister, she had tickets to see him perform at the Casa Manana here in Fort Worth. I gave her a copy of his biography so she could get his autograph, but again, Larry snubbed the crowd after the show and went into a private party room. My sister was determined though and sat outside of the party room for over two hours. She couldn't even get a waiter to take her book in for her. Finally, after midnight, she decided to leave. Just then, you-know-who walks out the door and motions her over. Through her persistence, she finally got to meet her idol and get his autograph. I'm glad for her. A week later, she was still talking inaudibly about the incident.

I know that was kind of long, but I just had to share it.

I wasn't bored by the story. I guess this thread is for rememberings. It's like a feature that The New York Times runs on the editorial page, called "Appreciations." It's used especially for a sort of supplemental obituray - for example, they did a short opinion (in favor) for Steve Irwin this week.

I have one: Dawn Addams was one of the glamorous international actresses of the 1950s whom I tended to admire - I always liked stars with her sort of looks, like Dana Wynter and Joan Collins. In the 1960s, Dawn was the presenter on a French language instruction program, probably British/European, which was shown in NYC early Sunday mornings. I loved that program - it was very clever and creative, and since I was immersed in high school French at the time, it was very helpful to me. Merci beaucoup!

Gerb, it's an interesting story regarding Larry Hagman. It's just too bad the way that the fans are misled regarding such hoopla.

It appears that Mr. Hagman is no better, since he didn't have the courtesy to spend at least few minutes thanking and waving to his fans. The old ****.

In any event, at least your sister was satisfied with the outcome. Good for her.

And idb1, I was also captured by the beauty of Dawn Addams. It's just sad that she left us at such a young age.

Born this day September 22nd:

Lead/co-star Scott Baio is 45.

Boyish-looking actor, remembered as Chachi on TVs "Happy Days", and the spin-off "Joanie Loves Chachi". In "Bugsy Malone" unique movie, "Skatetown U.S.A.", "Foxes", "Zapped!", "I Love N.Y.", "The Bread, My Love" good role, "Face to Face", etc.

A long engagement since 2001, went kaput. Dated Pamela Anderson, Erika Eleniak, Nicole Eggert, Natalie Raitano, Nicollette Sheridan, Brooke Shields and Heather Locklear. Appears on TVs "Arrested Developement".

Director John Woo is 58.

Asian action filmmaker, helmed "The Killer", "Hard Target", "Broken Arrow", "Face/Off", "Mission: Impossible II", "Windtalkers", "Hostage", "Paycheck", "etc.

Married since 1976 (3 children). Has won numerous awards. Uses pleasant music that heavily contrasts with some of the more violent action on screen.

Co-star/support Art Metrano is 70 today.

Comedic character actor, remembered as Lt. Mauser in "The Police Academy" movie series. In "They Only Kill Their Masters", "The All-American Boy", "Cheaper to Keep Her", "Going Ape!", "Breathless", "How Stella Got Her Groove Back", etc.

Married since 1972 (4 children). Has a one man comedy stage act.

Posthumous

Co-star/support Virginia Capers (78) 1925-2004.

Dependable African-American character actress, in "The Lost Man", "Big Jake", "Lady Sings the Blues", "Teachers", "Ferris Bueller's Day Off", "What's Love Got to Do with It", etc.

She and her son Glenn once took in an Inuit runaway named Nilak Butler and eventually helped her secure a five-year contract with Warner Brothers as an actress. On the TV series "The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air". Won a Tony Award for the musical "Raisin".

Lead/co-star Martha Scott (90) 1912-2003.

Natural, warm and sincern actress, Oscar nominated best actress for "Our Town". Also in "Cheers for Miss Bishop", "One Foot in Heaven", "So Well Remembered", "The Howards of Virginia", "When I Grow Up" w/Bobby Driscoll, "The Desperate Hours", "The Ten Commandments" as Heston's mother, "Sayonara", "Ben-Hur" as Heston's mother, etc.

Married twice (3 children). Also a stage actress.

Unusually she was not a part of the Memorial Tribute at The 76th Annual Academy Awards (2004) (TV), even though she was a member of the Academy and was also a previous nominee in 1940.

Lead/co-star Allan Lane (64) 1909-1973.

Handsome actor, appeared in numerous westerns as Allan 'Rocky' Lane with his horse Black Jack. Also in serials, 'Red Ryder' features, and pre-code melodramas.

Married twice including to actress Sheila Ryan. Could be a hard-**** on the set, when he didn't pull his punches. Also the voice of TVs talking horse "Mr. Ed". Was the victim of the leg of lamb on the Hitchcock TV episode "Lamb to the Slaughter".

Co-star/support John Houseman (86) 1902-1988.

Distinguished character actor, won Oscar best support for "The Paper Chase" (also starred on the TV series). In "Seven Days in May", "Rollerball", "Three Days of the Condor", "St. Ives" w/Bronson, "The Fog", "My Bodyguard", "Ghost Story", etc.

Married twice (2 sons). Divorced from Zita Johann who starred opposite Karloff in "The Mummy". Emmy and Golden Globe nominee. Also on Broadway.

Lead/co-star Paul Muni (71) 1895-1967.

Impressive actor, won Oscar best actor for "The Story of Louis Pasteur", and Oscar nominated for "The Valiant", "I Am a Fugitive from a Chain Gang", "The Life of Emile Zola", and "The Last Angry Man". In "Scarface", "Bordertown", "Black Fury", "Dr. Socrates", "The Good Earth" exceptional film, "Juarez", "Hudson's Bay", "A Song to Remember", "Angel on My Shoulder", etc.

Married 46 years. On Broadway, he won a Tony Award. Suffered from a rheumatic heart condition for most of his life. He was born Meshilem Meier Weisenfreund. TCM is saluting the star all day today.

Co-star/support Minerva Urecal (71) 1894-1966.

Essential character actress (usually stern-looking) in over 200 films. In "Bombshell" w/Harlow, "Sadie McKee" w/Crawford, "Fury", "Golden Boy", "The Corpse Vanishes" w/Lugosi, "Sitting Pretty" funny film, "Miracle in the Rain", "Mr. Hobbs Takes a Vacation", etc.

Never married, she also appeared on TV.

Lead/co-star Erich von Stroheim (71) 1885-1957.

Prolific silent screen star and filmmaker (usually wore a monocle). Oscar nominated best support as Max in "Sunset Blvd.". In "The Great Gabbo", "As You Desire Me", "The Grand Illusion", "So Ends Our Night", "Five Graves to Cairo", "The North Star", "Storm Over Lisbon", "The Great Flamarion", "The Mask of Diijon", etc.

Married 4 times. Directed "Greed", "The Merry Widow", "Queen Kelly", etc. A master at his craft.

In memory of those who died this day September 22nd:

Silent screen star Ruth Roland in 1937 at age 45, splendid director Sam Wood in 1949 at age 66, dazzling movie star Marion Davies in 1961 at age 64, prolific songwriter Harry Warren in 1981 at age 87, comedic host Dan Rowan in 1987 at age 65, art director Carl Anderson in 1989 at age 86, supreme songwriter Irving Berlin in 1989 at age 101, lovely movie star Dorothy Lamour in 1996 at age 81, and masterful actor George C. Scott in 1999 at age 71.

Mongo

Mongo,

Sad thinking of Marion Davies, the most lovable movie star in the world.....

But, I have to smile thinking of Minerva Urecal, remembering her line in "Mr. Hobbs takes A Vacation":

When Jimmy Stewart innocently tells her to "Go out and get a little sun on the beach"; she barks back at him, "In Finland, mans don't svear at voomans!"........

You gotta laugh..........

Larry

Larry, I recall that line in "Mr. Hobbs Takes a Vacation", and she was a hoot.

I also heard that Marions Davies was quite a gal. It's too bad that she left the screen so early.

Hope your having a good romp in Russia. Other than sight seeing, are you taking in any shows?

Happy Birthday dear Martha Scott and Paul Muni. Good to remember lovely Marion Davies (I'm a super fan of her now that I've watched some of her films) and alluring Dorothy Lamour.

Mongo I want to thank you personally for the generous, non-stop, loving, uninterested work you've done for so many years in these Boards. Your wonderful thread is really a haven in all this absurd crazyness that's been going lately. I'm sure that these wonderful TCM Boards will return to normality thanks to the prompt action of the administrators and fellow good natured members. When I found these Boards back in 2003 I was so happy, because living so far away here at "the bottom of the world", feeling so isolated (as a Classic Film Buff), for the first time I was able to share with others all my love for the Classics and exchange opinions in a civil way. Also, I was able to see Classic films that I'd never seen before through the eyes of fellow film buffs who shared their views with the rest of us. As well I've formed lasting bonds with wonderful people I've "met" here and that's been priceless. LONG LIVE THE TCM BOARDS!!

Hi Fernando,

I second your praise for Mongo. The "Happy Birthday" and the "Ask Mongo" threads are always two that I click on first; both so full of information and just plain interesting.

Also, you are a great source of valuable information. I like reading your "Seen Any Good Movies Lately" pieces. It puts us all in contact with many good movies we'd forgotten or never heard about.

Great to have you with us and thank God you're a civil, high class human being with manners and compassion.

Larry