Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY! II

Dear Mongo,

Though she wasn't in many movies, it's also the birthday of the lovely dancer Barrie Chase, who was Fred Astaire's dance partner in his celebrated television specials. She was born in 1934 and is living with her family in Europe now.

Barrie had small parts in Cape Fear and It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World, but the movies never showcased what a fabulous dancer she was. She also appeared on "The Hollywood Palace" variety show several times.

I'll see if I can find a photo of her.

A reprise for today's TCM Birthday Salute: Ms Maraget Dumont! In addition to the obvious Marx Madness, it was nice to see her in the NON-Marx THE LIFE OF THE PARTY.

What a great strange movie! Could RKO have squeezed ANOTHER second banana into this movie? I mean, Joe Penner, Billy (ACHOO) Gilbert, Victor Moore, Ms Dumont, Franklin Pangborn, and especially the great Harry "Parkyakarkus" Parke...All I can say is that Bill Frawley must have unavailable that week!

And oh yes, one of the few feature appearences of...Harriet "I haven't married Ozzie yet" Hilliard....

And not to mention a VERY mature 14(!!) year old Ann Miller....

And just found out that Harry Parke is in fact, the father of Albert Brooks (and also, of course, Bob "Super Dave Osborne" Enstein...) Never knew that...

Posting early AM. Off to SeaWorld in the morning.

Born this day October 21st:

Co-star/support Ken Watanabe is 47.

Tall, impressive Japanese actor, Oscar nominated best support for his role in "The Last Samurai" (also a Golden Globe nominee). In "Batman Begins", "Memories of a Geisha", "Flags of Our Fathers", etc.

Has made numerous films in his native Japan.

Divorced (2 children). Married again in 2005. He has battled leukemia. Quoted: "I'm not a big star in Japan. I'm an actor. I have a very normal life. Four days a week, I cook at home. A star doesn't do that."

Co-star/support Carrie Fisher is 50.

Pretty, feisty actress, remembered as Princess Leia in the "Star Wars" series of films. Also in "Under the Rainbow", "The Blues Brothers", "Garbo Talks" w/Anne Bancroft, "Hannah and Her Sisters", "When Harry Met Sally", "Wonderland", "Stateside", etc.

Briefly married to Paul Simon. Has a daughter from second husband. Daughter of Debbie Reynolds and Eddie Fisher. She wrote the book "Postcards from the Edge". Is best friends with Penny Marshall.

Co-star/support Paula Kelly is 63.

Talented, lovely African-American actress, in "Sweet Charity", "The Andromeda Strain", "Soylent Green", "Uptown Saturday Night", "Drum", "Jo Jo Dancer, Your Life Is Calling", etc.

Emmy nominee for for her role on TVs "Night Court". Gave a sterling performance in the made for TV movie "The Women of Brewster Place". Last on the tube in 1999. Is an accomplished singer and dancer.

Co-star/support Vivian Pickles is 75.

Delightful British character actress, remembered as Harold's mom in "Harold and Maude". Also in "The Looking Glass War" w/Anthony Hopkins, "Sunday Bloody Sunday", "Nicholas and Alexandra", "O Lucky Man", "Candleshoe", etc.

Also a prominent stage actress.

Co-star/support Ruth Terry is 86 today.

Charming actress/singer, in "Alexander's Ragtime Band", "The Hound of the Baskervilles", "Hotel for Women", "Sleepytime Gal" w/Judy Canova, "Goodnight Sweetheart", "Lake Placid Serenade", "The New Interns", etc.

Also in numerous westerns with Gene Autry and Roy Rogers.

Married 3 times (last since 1966). Is now retired.

Posthumous

Co-star/support Carleton Young (89) 1905-1994.

Reliable character actor, in "Arizona", "Buck Privates" w/Abbott & Costello, "Smash-Up: The Story of a Woman" w/Susan Hayward, "The Day the Earth Stood Still", "From Here to Eternity", "Battle Cry", "North by Northwest", "Spartacus", "The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance", "Cheyenne Autumn", etc,

Married close to 50 years. Noted for his deep rich voice. Was a favorite of director John Ford.

Co-star/support Lillian Bronson (92) 1902-1995.

Dependable character actress, in "Gaslight", "Roughly Speaking", "A Tree Grows In Brooklyn" as the librarian, "Christmas in Connecticut", "Sentimental Journey", "The Hucksters", "In the Good Old Summertime" as Garland's Aunt Addie, "The Next Voice You Hear", "Spencer's Mountain" w/Henry Fonda, etc.

Guested on many TV shows.

Co-star/support Janet Beecher (70) 1884-1955.

Aristocratic, silver-haired actress, in "So Red the Rose", "The Thirteenth Chair", "Big City" w/Spencer Tracy, "Yellow Jack" about the dreaded yellow fever, "All This, and Heaven Too", "The Mark of Zorro", "The Lady Eve", "Reap the Wild Wind", etc.

Married twice (1 child).

In memory of those who died this day October 21st:

Character actor Richard Bennett (Joan's dad) in 1944 at age 72, Italian comic actor Henry Armetta in 1945 at age 57, pre-code beauty Elissa Landi in 1948 at age 43, character actress Olive Blakeney in 1959 at age 56, character actor Pat Moriarity in 1962 at age 66, Blonde starlet Marie McDonald committed suicide in 1965 at age 42, grand dowager Gertrude Hoffmann in 1966 at age 95, character actor Raymond Hatton in 1971 at age 84, and French writer/director Francois Truffaut in 1984 at age 52.

Mongo

idb1, thanks for remembering silent screen star Edna Purviance today. She died in 1958 at age 62.

Quoted: "Mr. Chaplin asked me if I would like to act in pictures with him. I laughed at the idea, but agreed to try it. I guess he took me because I had nothing to unlearn and he could teach me in his own way. I want to tell you that I suffered untold agonies. Eyes seemed to be everywhere. I was simply frightened to death. But he had unlimited patience in directing me and teaching me."

Born his day October 22nd:

Lead/co-star Jeff Goldblum is 54.

Lanky, quirky actor, in "Death Wish" as a brute, "Nashville", "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" (1978), "The Big Chill", "The Right Stuff", "Earth Girls Are Easy" fun stuff, "Jurassic Park", "Powder", "Independence Day", "Holy Man", "Igby Goes Down", "Man of the Year", etc.

Divorced from Geena Davis (they remain friends). Once engaged to Laura Dern. Also a stage actor.

Lead/co-star Catherine Deneuve is 63.

French blonde beauty, Osca nominated best actress for "Indochine". Also in "Repulsion", "Belle de Jour", "The Metro", "Mayerling", "The Umbrellas of Cherbourg", "The Hunger", "Hustle", "The April Fools", "8 Women", etc.

Divorced. Has a son with Roger Vadim (1963), and a daughter with marcello Mastroianni (1972).

Designer of glasses, shoes, jewelry and greeting cards.

Lead/co-star Annette Funicello is 64.

Sweet, refreshing starlet, "The Shaggy Dog", Disney's "Babes in Toyland", "Beach Party", "Bikini Beach", "Beach Blanket Bingo", "How to Stuff a Wild Bikini", "Thunder Alley", "Head", etc.

Married twice (3 children). Got her start on the popular kids TV show "The Mickey Mouse Club". She adored Walt Disney, and felt his studio was like her home. Also had some hit recordings. Last on screen in 1987.

Diagnosed with MS in 1987. Annette still lives in her first house a few miles from where she grew up. She has a collectable plush bear business, a line of perfume and she started the Annette Funicello Fund for Neurological Disorders.

Co-star/support Tony Roberts is 67.

Reliable, curly-haired actor, appeared in numerous Woody Allen films including "Annie Hall", "Play It Again, Sam", "Stardust Memories", "Radio Days" swell nostalgic film. Also in "Serpico", "The Taking of Pelham One two Three', "18 Again", "Switch", "Dead Broke", etc.

Divorced (1 daughter). Also a stage and TV actor.

Co-star/support Christopher Lloyd is 68.

Talented, vigorous actor, in "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" good role, "The Onion Field" good drama, "The Lady in Red", "Back to the Future" good role, "Who Framed Roger Rabbit", "Eight Men Out", "The Addams Family", "Angels in the Outfield", "Twenty Bucks", "Interstate 60", etc.

Married 3 times (thus far). Emmy Award winner for the TV series "Taxi" as Reverend Jim Ignatowski. Also on the TV series "Stacked".

Lead/co-star Derek Jacobi is 68.

Talented, stocky British actor, in "Othello", "Three Sisters", "The Day of the Jackal", "The Odessa File", "The Human Factor", "Enigma", "Henry V", "Hamlet", "Gladiator", "Gosford Park", "Nanny McPhee", etc.

Has won numerous awards including a Tony and 2 Emmys.

After 27 years together, registered his civil partnership with long-term partner Richard Clifford in March 2006, four months after civil unions became legal in England and Wales.

Lead/co-star Joan Fontaine is 89 today.

Beautiful, poised, blonde movie star, won Oscar best actress for "Suspicion" (the only Oscar winner for a Hitchcock film). Oscar nominated best actress for "Rebecca" and "The Constant Nymph". In "The Women", "Jane Eyre", "The Affairs of Susan", "Ivy", "The Emperor Waltz", "Letter from an Unknown Woman", "Born to Be Bad", "Ivanhoe", "September Affair", "The Bigamist" directed by Ida Lupino, "Serenade", "Island in the Sun", etc.

Maried 4 times including to Brian Aherne. Mother of 1 daughter. Sister of Olivia de Havilland. Relations between the sisters were never all that strong and worsened in 1941, when both were nominated for 'Best Actress' Oscar awards. Their mutual dislike and jealousy escalated into an all-out feud after Fontaine won for "Suspicion" (1941). Despite the fact de Havilland went on to win two Academy Awards of her own, they remained permanently estranged. So the story goes.

Quoted: "I married first, won the oscar before Olivia did, and if I die first, she'll undoubtedly be livid because I beat her to it!."

Posthumous

Lead/co-star Mitzi Green (48) 1920-1969.

Former child star, was 'Little Mitzi' early in her career. In "Tom Sawyer", "Skippy" w/Jackie Cooper, "Dude Ranch", "Huckleberry Finn", "Little Orphan Annie", "Santa Fe Trail", "Lost in Alaska" w/Abbott & Costello, etc.

Was married to director Joseph Pevney (4 children).

Co-star/support Sidney Miller (87) 1916-2004.

Talented, humorous juvenile actor in over 100 films. In "Three on a Match", "Mary Stevens, M.D." w/Kay Francis, "Wild Boys of the Road", "Our Daily Bread" good drama, "Dinky", "Boys Town" as Mo, "Babes in Arms", "Strike Up the Band", "Walking My Baby Back Home", "The Sniper" w/Arthur Franz, "Memories of Me", etc.

Married twice, father of actor Barry Miller.

Co-star/support John Sutton (54) 1908-1963.

Suave British actor with a mustache, in "The Adventures of Robin Hood", "Four Men and a Prayer", "The Dawn Patrol", "Tower of London", "A Yank in the R.A.F", "Jane Eyre", 'Captain from Castile", "The Three Musketeers", "David and Bathsheba", "My Cousin Rachel", etc.

Also in the "Bulldog Drummond" series of films. Took TV roles in the 1950s.

Lead/co-star Constance Bennett (60) 1904-1965.

Popular, high-spirited blonde actress, began in silent films. In "The Affairs of Cellini", "Born to Love", "The Common Law", "Lady with a Past", "Our Bettors", "Outcast Lady", "Topper" good role, "Merrily We Live", "Escape to Glory", "Two-Faced Woman", "The Unsuspected", "Madame X", good role, etc.

Married 5 times including to Gilbert Roland. Was the mother of 3 adopted children. Sister of Joan Bennett and Barbara Bennett. Also a stage actress. Is buried at Arlington National Cemetery.

Co-star/support Curly Howard (48) 1903-1952.

Perhaps the most popular member of the outrageous 3 Stooges, with his "N'yuk, N'yuk, N'yuk", "Arf! Arf! Arf" and "Woo-Woo-Woo", in 100 comedy shorts with Moe and Larry.

Married 4 times, the rotund, bald, high pitch stooge was the brother of Moe and Shemp. He was born Jerome Lester Horwitz and his nickname was Babe.

After a stroke, he recuperated enough to appear in "Hold That Lion" (1947) and hoped to eventually return to the team. But another series of strokes deteriorated his health until he died at the age of 48.

In memory of those who died this day October 22nd:

Supporting actor Craig Reynolds in 1949 at age 42, character actor Tim Ryan in 1956 at age 57, producer Josph M. Schenck in 1961 at age 82, producer William Perlberg in 1968 at age 68, singer/actress Dorothy Shay in 1978 at age 57, character actor Roland Winters ('Charlie Chan') in 1989 at age 84, and essential character actress Mary Wickes in 1995 at age 85.

Also gangster Pretty Boy Floyd gunned down in 1934 at age 30.

Mongo

Hi,

Happy Birthday to Joan Fontaine.

I've always thought she was the more interesting of the sisters. Her career wasn't as great but she did more things in life, such as becoming a pilot and starting several businesses (knitting factory and cattle raising) and she's a champion golfer and fly fisher.

For a while she was a high flier in New York and European society.

She is known to be quite 'prickly' when approched, but I've a good friend in San Francisco, who's mother talked to her in a restaurant a year ago and Joan was quite nice, apparently... And, looked good too, so I'm told.

Have a grand day, Joan!!

Larry

Born this day October 23rd:

Producer/director Sam Raimi is 47.

Highly inventive filmmaker helmed "The Evil Dead", "Darkman", "The Quick and the Dead", "A Simple Plan" good movie, "For Love of the Game", "The Gift", "Spider-Man" and the sequels, etc.

Maried since 1993 (4 children). Makes cameo appearances in most of his films. He is a huge fan of The Three Stooges.

Co-star/support Dwight Yoakam is 50.

Reliable actor/singer, in "Red Rock West", "Roswell", "Sling Blade" good role, "Painted Hero", "The Newton Boys", "Panic Room", "Hollywood Homicide", "The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada" good role, "Wedding Crashers", "Crank", etc.

A prominent country music star, his trademark is a cowboy hat, which he is balding under. Dated Sharon Stone who was quoted, "Kissing him was like eating a dirt sandwich". Has a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.

Director Ang Lee is 52.

Prominent Asian filmmaker, won Oscar best director for "Brokeback Mountain", and nominated for Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" (won Golden Globe Award). Also helmed "Sense and Sensibility" (Golden Globe nominee), The Ice Storm", "Ride with the Devil", "Chosen", "Hulk", etc.

Married since 1983 (2 sons born in Illinois).

Co-star/support Jordan Christopher is 64.

Capable actor, in "Return of the Seven", "Pigeons", "Brainstorm" w/Natalie Wood, "Star 80" strong drama, "That's Life!", etc.

Is married to Sybil Burton (ex-wife of Richard Burton) since 1965. Also appeared on TV. Last on screen in 1986.

Co-star/support Dimitra Arliss is 74.

Dependable Greek-American actress, remembered for her performance as Loretta in "The Sting" (she slept with Redford). Also in "The Other Side of Midnight", "A Perfect Couple", "Xanadu", "Eleni", "It's My Party", etc.

She was last on screen in 2000.

Lead/co-star Coleen Gray is 84 today.

Attractive, petite actress, in "Kiss of Death", "Nightmare Alley" w/Tyrone Power, "Red River", "Sand", "Riding High" w/Bing Crosby, "The Sleeping City" w/Richard Conte, "Lucky Nick Cain", w/Raft, "The Killing" exceptional noir, "Star in the Dust", "Hell's Five Acres", "Johnny Rocco", "The Leech Woman", etc.

Married 3 times (2 children). Also a stage and TV star. Was on the soap "Days of Our Lives". Last on screen in 1985. Makes the rounds at Nostalgia events and is looking good.

Posthumous

Lead/co-star Diana Dors (52) 1931-1984.

British Blonde bombshell ala MM, in "OLiver Twist", "An Alligator Named Daisy", "Yield the Night", "On the Double" w/Danny Kaye, "The Unholy Wife" w/Rod Steiger, "Tread Softly Stranger", "I Married a Woman", "Berserk!" w/Crawford, "There's a Girl in My Soup", "Theater of Blood", "Three for All", etc.

Married 3 times including to game show host Richard Dawson (2 sons). Quoted: "I'm the only sex symbol England produced since Lady Godiva". Her third and last husband, actor Alan Lake, committed suicide five months after her death (1 son).

Co-star/support Bella Darvi (42) 1928-1971.

Brunette beauty with a husky voice, groomed for stardom by 20th. Century-Fox studio chief Daryl Zanuck. In "Hell and High Water" w/Richard Widmark, "The Egyptian", "The Racers" w/Kirk Douglas, "The Mask of the Gorilla", etc.

Her 2 marriages were annulled. Her career came tumbling down after a major sex scandal ensued with Mr. Zanuck. Was romantically linked to numerous famous men.

Into alchohol she would eventually committ suicide. Ironically she won a Golden Globe Award for most promising newcomer.

Co-star/support Frank Sutton (50) 1923-1974.

Brash, reliable actor, in "Marty" as the bragging Ralph, "Four Boys and a Gun", "Town Without Pity", "The Satan Bug", etc.

Married 25 years (2 children). Remembered as Sgt. Carter on TVs "Gomer Pyle, U.S.M.C.". Also on "Captain Video", and "Tom Corbett, Space Cadet". Was a black belt in Judo.

Lead/co-star Peggy Moran (84) 1918-2002.

Pretty starlet in mostly 'B' films, including "Boy Meets Girl", "Ninotchka" bit part, "Argentine Nights" w/The Andrews Sisters, "The Mummy's Hand", "A Night in the Tropics" w/Abbott & Costello, "Horror Island", "Drums of the Congo", etc.

Was married to director Henry Koster (2 sons). Also in westerns with Roy Rogers and Gene Autry. She died as results of injuries suffered in an auto accident.

Co-star/support Una O'Connor (78) 1880-1959.

Wonderful Irish character actress with the body of a scarecrow, the contemptuous stare of a detective, and the voice of an air siren. Delighted us in "Cavalcade", "Mary Stevens, M.D.", "The Invisible Man" as the flity inn keeper, 'David Copperfield", "Bride of Frankenstein" as Minnie the screamer, "The Informer" good dramatic role, "Suzy" w/Harlow, "The Adventures of Robin Hood", "Lillian Russell" w/Alice Faye, "Always in My Heart" w/Kay Francis, "This Land Is Mine" as Laughton's mother, "Christmas in Connecticut", "The Bells of St. Mary's", "Cluny Brown", "Of Human Bondage", "Ivy", "Fighting Father Dunne", "Witness for the Prosecution" in a wonderful farewell performance, etc.

Also a fine stage actress. There is no record of a marriage.

Hail to 'King of Late Night TV' Johnny Carson (79) 1925-2005.

In memory of those who died this day October 23rd.

Wild west writer Zane Gray in 1939 at age 67, grand showman Al Jolson in 1950 at age 64, lovely starlet Susan Peters in 1952 at age 31, screenwriter Jo Swerling in 1964 at age 71, western star Whip Wilson in 1964 at age 53, supporting actress Janice Logan ('Dr. Cyclops') in 1965 at age 50, silent screen star Claire Windsor in 1972 at age 80, dependable character actress Tamara Shayne in 1983 at age 80, Oscar nominee Oskar Werner in 1984 at age 61, 'East Side Kid' David Gorcey (Leo's Brother) in 1984 at age 63, essential actor Robert Lansing in 1994 at age 66, and songwriter Adolph Green in 2002 at age 87.

Mongo

Born this day October 24th:

Co-star/support B.D. Wong is 44.

Reliable Asian-American actor, in "Family Business", "The Freshman", "Father of the Bride" w/Steve Martin, "Jurassic Park", "Executive Decision", "Joe's Apartment" infested with roaches, "Seven Years in Tibet", Disney's "Mulan" (voice), etc.

He and his companion Richie Jackson, adopted a son. Was the priest on the HBO series "Oz". Also on "Law and Order". Won a Tony Award for his part in "M Butterfly". B.D. stands for Bradley Darryl.

Co-star/support Tony Peck is 50.

Capable actor, in "The Slugger's Wife", "Pirates", "Brenda Starr", "Hard Hunted", "Sliver", "Viper", etc.

Son of Gregory Peck. Divorced from Cheryl Tiegs (1 son). Last on screen in 1994. Dabbles in politics.

Lead/co-star Kevin Kline is 59.

Talented, exuberant actor, won Oscar best support for "A Fish Called Wanda". In "Sophie's Choice", "The Pirates of Penzance", "The Big Chill", "Silverado", "Soapdish" (Golden Globe nominee), "Dave" (Golden Globe nominee), "French Kiss", "The Ice Storm", "In & Out", "Life as a House" good role, "The Emperor's Club" good movie, "De-Lovely" (Golden Globe nominee), "A Prairie Home Companion" (Golden Globe nominee), etc.

Is married to Phoebe Cates since 1989 (2 children, Owen and Greta). Also won a Tony Award. He turned down the role of "Batman".

Lead/co-star F. Murray Abraham is 67.

Tall, talented actor, won Oscar best actor as Salieri in "Amadeus" (also won Golden Globe Award). In "Serpico", "The Sunshine Boys", "All the Presidents Men", "The Ritz" hilarious comedy, "Scarface" is taken for his last helicoptor ride, "The Name of the Rose", "Mobsters", "Mighty Aphrodite", "Finding Forrester", "Star Trek: Insurrection" a favorite role of his, "Joshua", "A House Divided", etc.

Married since 1962 (2 children). A loyal stage actor. The 'F' in his name stands for Fahrid.

He has a summer place in the Cattskills, in a town I lived in, and he invites all his neighbors over for an annual cook-out at his home. A nice guy, that Murray.

Co-star/support David Nelson is 70 today.

Capable actor, in "Peyton Place", "The Remarkable Mr. Pennypacker" as one of Clifton Webb's brood, "The Big Circus", "Day of the Outlaw", Jack Webb's "-30-", "Up in Smoke", "Splash", "Cry-Baby", etc.

Married twice (2 sons). First name is Oswald. Son of Ozzie and Harriet, brother of Ricky Nelson whom all appeared on the TV series "The Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet". Last on screen in 1998.

Posthumous

Producer/director Merian C. Cooper (79) 1893-1973.

Prolific filmmaker, gave us the one and only "King Kong" (1933). Producer of "Grass", "Chang", "Ann Vickers", "Little Women", "The Son of Kong", "Flying Down to Rio", "Dr. Cyclops", "Fort Apache", "3 Godfathers", "Mighty Joe Young", "Rio Grande", "The Quiet Man" (Oscar nominee best spicture), "The Searchers", etc.

Married to the lovely Dorothy Jordan (3 children). He has a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. But, his name is misspelled as "Meriam C. Cooper." Was John Ford's favorite producer with whom to work. "You are going to have the tallest, darkest leading man in Hollywood" - To Fay Wray regarding King Kong (1933).

Co-star/support Sybil Thorndike (93) 1882-1976.

Impressive British actress, appeared in silent films. Also in "Major Barbara", "Nicholas Nickleby", "The Forbidden Street" good role as the evil crone, Hitchcock's "Stage Freight", "The Magic Box", "The Lady with the Lamp", "The Wild Heart" w/Jennifer Jones, "The Prince and the Showgirl" (won the BAFTA award for best support), "Shake Hands with the Devil" w/Cagney, "The Big Gamble", etc.

Married for 60 years (4 children). A grand stage actress, she was knighted a Dame.

In memory of those who died this day October 24th:

Irish character actor Dudley Digges in 1947 at age 68, child actor Douglas Croft (Cagney as a boy in "Yankee Doodle Dandy") in 1963 at age 37, blonde starlet Beverly Wills (Joan Davis' daughter) in 1963 at age 30, supreme costume designer Edith Head in 1981 at age 83, actor/opera singer Walter Woolf King in 1984 at age 84, producer of 'Star Trek' Gene Roddenberry in 1991 at age 70, talented actor Raul Julia in 1994 at age 54, and starlet Peggy Moran in 2002 at age 84.

Also baseball great Jackie Robinson in 1972 at age 53, and The Mother of the Civil Rights Movement Rosa Parks in 2005 at age 92.

Mongo

Born this day October 25th:

Co-star/support Tracy Nelson is 43.

Petite starlet, in "Maria's Lovers", "Down and Out in Beverly Hills", "The Night Caller", "The Perfect Nanny", "The Bus Stop", "Fangs", "Dumb Luck", "Miracle at Sage Creek", etc.

Married twice including to actor William R. Moses (2 children). Daughter of Ricky Nelson, granddaughter of Ozzie and Harriet. On the TV series "Father Dowling Mysteries". Diagnosed with Hodgkins disease in 1987.

Co-star/support Brian Kerwin is 57.

Lanky, blonde-haired actor, in "Hometown U.S.A.", "Getting Wasted", "Murphy's Romance" good role as Sally Field's ex, "King Kong Lives", "Torch Song Trilogy", "Love Field", "Jack", "Mr. Jelousy", etc.

Married (3 children). Also on TV and the stage.

Co-star/support Marion Ross is 78.

Talented, versatile actress, in "Forever Female", "The Glenn Miller Story", "Pushover", "Sabrina", "Lust for Life", "Lizzie", "Teacher's Pet", "Operation Petticoat", "Grand Theft Auto", "The Evening Star" (Golden Globe nominee), "The Last Best Sunday", etc.

Divorced (2 children). Lives with actor Paul Michael. Is Richie's mom on the TV series "Happy Days", and on the series "Brooklyn Bridge" in a superior role as Grandma Sophie. She was nominated for 5 Emmy Awards.

Co-star/support Jeanne Cooper is 78 today.

Reliable blonde actress, in "The Man from the Alamo" w/Glenn Ford, "The Naked Street", 'Plunder Road", "Let No Man Write My Epitaph" strong drama, "The Inruder", "Black Zoo", 'Tony Rome", "The Boston Strangler", "The All-American Boy", "The Tomorrow Man", etc.

Divorced (3 children including actor Corbin Bernsen). She is on the soap "The Young and the Restless" (6 time Emmy Award nominee).

Posthumous

Lead/co-star Anthony Franciosa (77) 1928-2006.

Exceptional, handsome leading man, Oscar nominated best actor for "A Hatful of Rain". In "This Could Be the Night", "A Face in the Crowd", "Wild Is the Wind" w/Magnani, "The Long Hot Summer", "The Naked Maja" w/Ava Gardner, "Career" exceptional role (Golden Globe nominee best actor), "The Story on Page One" w/Rita Hayworth, "Rio Conchos" (Golden Globe nominee), 'Period of Adjustment", "Across 110th. Street", "City Hall", etc.

Married 4 times including to Shelley Winters (they died 5 days apart in '06). Father of 3 children. A TV and stage actor (Tony Award nominee for "A Hatful of Rain"). A favorite actor of Barbra Streisand.

Co-star/support Belita (82) 1923-2005.

Attractive actress, in a few 'B' films, including "Silver Skates", "Suspense", "The Gangster", "The Hunted", "The Man on the Eiffel Tower", "Never Let Me Go" w/Gene Tierney, "Silk Stockings", etc.

Married twice. A skilled ice skater (won Olympic medal), and a ballerina.

Quoted: "I hated the ice. I hated the cold, the smell, everything about it. I only did it for the money." - upon her retirement from skating in 1956.

Co-star/support Eugene 'Porky' Lee (71) 1933-2005.

Former child star, appeared in 42 "Our Gang" comedy shorts. As the cute little Porky, along with his pal Billie 'Buckwheat' Thomas, coined the phase 'O-tay'.

Grew into a bulky 6-footer. After his movie career he became a school teacher in Colorado for awhile then moved to Minnesota in order to be closer to his only son.

Co-star/support Billy Barty (76) 1924-2000.

Talented, energetic dwarf actor, in "Nothing Sacred", "Three Wise Fools", "The Clown", "The Undead", "Jumbo", "The Day of the Locust" good movie, "W.C. Fields and Me", "Foul Play", "Willow", "Life Stinks", etc.

Was married for 50 years (2 children). He played Mickey Rooney's baby brother in the "Mickey McGuire" comedy shorts. Also on numerous TV shows.

He founded 'The Little People of America', and has a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.

Co-star/support Maudie Prickett (61) 1914-1976.

Dependable character actress, in "Whiplash", "Montana", "Harvey", "The Model and the Marriage Broker" good comedy, "Stars and Stripes Forever", "A Man Called Peter", "North by Northwest", "The Music Man", "The Gnome-Mobile", etc.

She played Rosie on the TV series "Hazel" with Shirley Booth.

Co-star/support Whit Bissell (86) 1909-1996.

Essential character actor, in over 100 films. In "Sea of Grass", "Brute Force", "A Double Life", "He Walked by Night" good drama, "Side Street", "Lost Continent", "The Creature from the Black Lagoon", "Not as a Stranger", "Trial", "Invasion of the Body Snatchers", "I Was a Teenage Werewolf" as the evil scientist, The Defiant Ones", "Seven Days in May", "Birdman of Alcatraz", "Hud", "Airport", etc.

Married 3 times (4 children). Guested on various TV shows.

Co-star/support Polly Ann Young (79) 1908-1997.

Lovely actress, in "The Sheik" as an Arab child, "Rich People", "Murders in the Rue Morgue", "Thunder in the Night", "The Story of Alexander Graham Bell", "Turnabout" good comedy, "Invisible Ghost" as Lugosi's wife, etc.

Was married with 4 children. Sister of Loretta Young and Sally Blane.

Co-star/support Leo G. Carroll (79) 1892-1972.

Impressive British character actor, in "Sadie McKee", "A Christmas Carol" (1938) as Marley, "Wuthering Heights", "Rebecca", "Suspicion", "Spellbound", "The Paradine Case", "Father of the Bride", "Strangers on a Train", "The Bad and the Beautiful", "Tarantula" good sci-fi, "North by Northwest", Disney's "The Parent Trap", "The Prize", etc.

On the TV series "The Man from U.N.C.L.E" (Emmy Award nominee), and "Topper". Not to be confused with Roland Young who played the original "Topper".

Has played in more Alfred Hitchcock films (five) than any other actor. Also a stage actor.

In memory of those who died this day October 25th:

Brassy blonde actress Cleo Moore in 1973 at age 44, dependable character actor Frank Puglia in 1975 at age 83, brawny, good-looking actor Forrest Tucker in 1986 at age 67, singer/actor Roger Miller in 1992 at age 56, essential actor Vincent Price in 1993 at age 82, reliable character actress Lillian Hayman in 1994 at age 72, endearing character actress Mildred Natwick in 1994 at age 89, Swedish delight Viveca Lindfors in 1995 at age 74, and commanding movie star Richard Harris in 2002 at age 72.

Mongo

Ah, the ubiquitous Whit Bissell. Did I ever tell you about the Whit Bissell game? No, I think I mentioned it when I was on the IMDb board.

You see, when I was a kid back in the days of b&w TV, every time Whit Bissell was in anything (and he seemed to be in everything), my friends and I would try to be the first to shout "Whit Bissell!" the first time he appeared on the screen. There was no prize other than the bragging rights. I have no idea how that game came about - I think it must have been because we thought his name sounded funny --"bissell" means "a little bit" in Yiddish (remember, this was in Brooklyn), so "whit bissell" sounds like a trivial amount, indeed. I hope he wouldn't have minded - he seemed like such a dignified fellow.

Here's to him!

idb1, the Whit Bissell name game sounded like fun. I use to do the same thing with Ward Bond, who was in just about everything...so it seemed.

Gerb, I recall 'The Time Tunnel'. It's ironic how the series began the exact time as "Star Trek" (Sept. '66), although it lasted only one season.

Also ironic is the fact that Bissell and Shatner had the same character name of Kirk.

It's even more ironic that I own both of those series on DVD and watch one episode from each show each week, but never noticed the Kirk similarity. Thanks for the awakening.

It's kinda like "Gomer Pyle, U.S.M.C." and "Hogan's Heroes". They started only a year apart and both have Sgt. Carters.

Born this day October 26th:

Lead/co-star Cary Elwes is 44.

Handsome Brit, in "Lady Jane", "The Princess Bride", "Glory", "Days of Thunder", "Shots!", "Dracula", "The Crush", "Robin Hood: Men in Tights", "Liar Liar", "The Cat's Meow", "Kiss the Girls", "Saw", "Edison", etc.

After a four year engagement, he married in 2001. Also appeared on TVs "The X Files".

About his teenage co-star Alicia Silverstone of "Crush" (1993): "She's very headstrong. I think she can fight her image all she wants, but ultimately when she reaches full womanhood, I think she'll be quite happy to be called a sex kitten".

Lead/co-star Dylan McDermott is 45.

Dependable actor, in "Hamburger Hill", "Steel Magnolias", "Twister", "In the Line of Fire", "The Cowboy Way", "Home fro the Holidays", "Jersey Girl", "Party Monster", "Wonderland", "Runaway Jury", "Edison", "The Tenants", etc.

Married since 1995 (2 daughters). Dated Julia Roberts. On the TV series "The Practice" (won Golden Globe Award).

Co-star/support Rita Wilson is 48.

Reliable actress, in "Volunteers", "Teen Witch", "The Bonfire of the Vanities", "Sleepless in Seattle", "Jingle All the Way", "Psycho" remake, "Runaway Bride", "Auto Focus", "The Chumscrubber", etc.

She is the wife of Tom Hanks (2 sons). Also a stage actress.

Lead/co-star Bob Hoskins is 64.

Talented, stocky British actor, Oscar nominated best actor for "Mona Lisa". Also in "The Last Goodbye", "The Cotton Club", "Brazil", "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" (Golden Globe nominee best actor), "Mermaids" w/Cher, "Hook", "Super Mario Bros.", "Maid in Manhattan", "Beyond the Sea", "Mrs. Henderson Presents" (Golden Globe nominee), "Hollywoodland", etc.

Married twice (4 children). Also a stage actor. Worked in a circus as a fire eater.

Lead/co-star Baby Peggy is 88 today.

Adorable former child star, with a chubby face, short black hair with bangs, in silent comedy shorts and features.

In the 1920s she was Jackie Coogan's only rival. She left the screen at age 8, and the 1929 stock market crash wiped out most of her earnings. She made some talkies during the 1930s while in her teens.

In later years after living in near poverty she would find success again as a book publisher and author under the name Diana Serra Cary.

Married twice (1 son). She was born Margaret Montgomery.

Posthumous

Lead/co-star Jackie Coogan (69) 1914-1984.

Superior former child star, memorable opposite Charlie Chaplin in "The Kid", among many other silent films. Also in "The Actress", "The Buster Keaton Story", "The Joker Is Wild", "Lonelyhearts", "The Big Operator" w/Rooney, "Cahill U.S. Marshal", "Double Take", etc.

Married 4 times including to Betty Grable. Is Uncle Fester on TVs "The Addams Family".

Began in vaudeville at age 4. His earnings of $4 million was depleated by his parents which prompted the Child Actors Bill (The Coogan Act) which would protect a childs future earnings.

In 1935, at age 21, he had the traumatic experience of losing his father, Jack Coogan Sr., and his best friend, actor Junior Durkin, when both were killed in an auto accident in the California mountains. Durkin died almost instantly at the scene, and Coogan, Sr., who had been driving, a few hours later at a local hospital. Jackie, though badly injured, was the sole survivor of the accident. He would later call it the single saddest day of his life.

Co-star/support Margaret Wycherly (74) 1881-1956.

Essential character actress, Oscar nominated best support for her touching performance as Ma York in "Sergeant York". Also in "The Thirteenth Chair", "Midnight", "Random Harvest", "Keeper of the Flame", "Johnny Angel", "The Yearling", "Forever Amber", "White Heat" outstanding as Ma Jarrett, "The Man with a Cloak", "The President's Lady" w/Susan Hayward, etc.

Born in London, England she was married with 1 son. A grand stage actress.

Lead/co-star H.B. Warner (83) 1875-1958.

Impressive character actor, Oscar nominated best support as Chang in "Lost Horizon". In over 100 films including silents, "The King of Kings" as Jesus Christ, etc. Also in "Viva Villa!", "A Tale of Two Cities", "Mr. Deeds Goes to Town", "You Can't Take it With You", "The Rains Came", "Mr. Smith Goes to Washington", "It's a Wonderful Life" as Mr. Gower, "Hellfire" unusual western, "The Ten Commandments", etc.

H.B. = Harry Byron. A fine stage actor. Considered a career in medicine.

In memory of those who died this day October 26th:

Superior character actress Hattie McDaniel in 1952 at age 57, dependable supporting actor Anthony Ross in 1955 at age 46, superior character actress Louise Beavers in 1962 at age 60, dandy character actor James Bell in 1973 at age 81, steamy-stuff producer Albert Zugsmith in 1993 at age 83, blacklisted writer/producer Abraham Polonsky in 1999 at age 88, and singer/actor Hoyt Axton in 1999 at age 61.

Mongo